PDA

View Full Version : Daily Herald reports that Bridgeport is safer than "Wrigleyville"

maurice
04-28-2004, 01:36 PM
[The Sox should] emphasize to fans in the city that they can take CTA buses and elevated trains real close to the ballpark and walk the rest of the way. Which brings us to the fear factor. People who would ride public transportation to Wrigley Field ask, "You wouldn't take the 'L' to Comiskey Park, would you?" The implication is doing so is life-threatening.

Somehow, the Sox have to convince people crime rates around their ballpark are lower than around the Cubs' ballpark. Shout the statistics from the highest steeple - or from the "L" platform above 35th Street. Design advertising campaigns around the numbers. Suburbanites need to be assured they can get to Comiskey Park on time and get home in one piece.

Linky (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38105212)

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Linky (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38105212)

The average fan is not going to read crime reports. The perception is built by the "look" that surrounds the park. When you consider Wrigley Field you see homes & bars. The homes look upper middle class & the bars look trendy. That gives the perception of a hometown feel & look. When you get off the bus you "feel" that it's a safe neighborhood.

Now consider The Cell. The drive to/from the parking lot requires you to drive through the low district housing. There may be other routes but I'm talking the average fan coming off the expressway w/out a parking pass. The look is slummy. I know it's better than the projects that were there before but it's still slummy. Not so much the housing itself but what surrounds it. Beat up cars, graffiti, & on occasion you can see gang bangers about.

This is the part of the new stadium plan that many like Moronitti & Telander always forget. Public housing was part of the plan. It was an integral part that sealed the deal in the eyes of Jackson & others who hold power in the area. That's fine & I can accept that.
But I don't think it's wise for the SOX to make patrons drive through it.

In my opinion if this can be done I would re-orient the parking so that the entrance & exit is further North. There is an entrance right off the expressway but it's only for privledged parkers. I don't know the effort involved in expanding it for all parkers but it's certainly an option. For those taking public transportation I don't think the public housing affects them at all, but I think it would help to put a Metra stop there. It's kind of surprising that there isn't one given the fact that the ISFA considers US Celluar Field a hot spot in the city. I think with a Metra stop maybe a little stip mall it would create more buzz for the park. Right now the experience is still
pretty much going to a SOX game & coming right home. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it doesn't cater to the average fan.

maurice
04-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
The average fan is not going to read crime reports.

That's Imrem's point. In the past, the Sox have ignored the unimformed opinion of the "average fan." He thinks (and I agree) that the Sox should stop ignoring the issue and confront it head on with the truth by publicizing the correct data.

Public housing was part of the plan. It was an integral part that sealed the deal . . . .

More specifically, tons of low-income housing in Armour Square was demolished to construct the new park and to surround it with parking lots. Subsequently, Stateway Gardens bit the dust also. Public housing advocates lobbied to retain as much low-income housing as possible and to find replacement housing for those displaced, but not much was left.

As it stands, the only occupied public housing near the park is Wentworth Gardens and a senior home. It's true that most suburbanites accessing the south lots drive past Wentworth Gardens (on Wentworth between 37th and Pershing) and may be put off by a relatively small population of innocuous, poor black folks. I doubt traffic could be rerouted though, since no other major streets are near those lots. (It's a safe bet that they won't send them through the already overcrowded residential side streets.)

A new emphasis on public transportation and a new Metra stop also might be good ideas which the Sox have ignored in the past (probably because they don't want to discourage people from paying their extortionist fees for parking.) Finally, I'm a long-time advocate of developing portions of the parking lots with mixed-use buildings.

Hangar18
04-28-2004, 04:49 PM
The average fan is not going to read crime reports. The perception is built by the "look" that surrounds the park.

Lets not forget the most IMPORTANT PERCEPTION........that of the MEDIA Constantly REINFORCING the idea the Comiskey & Bridgeport are "dangerous". Where do you think the people are getting this idea? I was in a Freaking bar in DelMar CA, 2000 miles from Bridgeport, and this guy finds out im a SOX fan, and says hes "heard its a bad area" where the SOX play? Where did he hear that? How many many many times do we read/hear about "another assault near Comiskey Pk" while they conveniently say "Man assaulted in Lakeview tonite", if they even say that. Most of the time, its covered up, ignored, or put on the burner. And that onesox troll says Im "obsessed" ......... No wonder I hate the Chicago Media .......

TornLabrum
04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Lets not forget the most IMPORTANT PERCEPTION........that of the MEDIA Constantly REINFORCING the idea the Comiskey & Bridgeport are "dangerous". Where do you think the people are getting this idea? I was in a Freaking bar in DelMar CA, 2000 miles from Bridgeport, and this guy finds out im a SOX fan, and says hes "heard its a bad area" where the SOX play? Where did he hear that? How many many many times do we read/hear about "another assault near Comiskey Pk" while they conveniently say "Man assaulted in Lakeview tonite", if they even say that. Most of the time, its covered up, ignored, or put on the burner. And that onesox troll says Im "obsessed" ......... No wonder I hate the Chicago Media .......

Did they ever catch that serial rapist in Wrigleyville...er...LAKEVIEW?

rahulsekhar
04-28-2004, 10:45 PM
I have to say - after many years of taking the L, I drove to today's game from downtown, came down State and over on 35th (right past IIT). That IIT campus looks beautiful, and we drove around the NW side of the park trying to find the lot we were directed to by CPD (damn 1-way, dead end streets). It's VERY nice and comfortable looking, sort of suburban-esque.

The only real issue with "bad looking" areas is the view from the stadium, and the stuff directly S of the park IMO. The rest is pretty nice and places I wouldn't mind walking around before or after a game if there were more obvious establishments to patronize. Of course, you'll never hear any of that in the media.

On a separate note, anyone know if the Sox offer any student deals or anything special for IIT? I would think that there's a good potential fan base there - young people who are going to get decent jobs who are right by the park. Get them used to it via discounting and promotions while they're in school and then hopefully they return once they're out. Not to mention that having young college-age fans coming out on a regular basis will improve the "coolness" factor and general impressions of the place.

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Those CHA complexes right next to the expressway north of the park aint pretty either

Chisox1234
04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
On a separate note, anyone know if the Sox offer any student deals or anything special for IIT? I would think that there's a good potential fan base there - young people who are going to get decent jobs who are right by the park. Get them used to it via discounting and promotions while they're in school and then hopefully they return once they're out. Not to mention that having young college-age fans coming out on a regular basis will improve the "coolness" factor and general impressions of the place.

I live on the IIT campus and unfortunately no, they don't offer any kind of special discounts, so I usually end up attending the half-price nights. Everybody around here is always complaining that there's not much to do on or around campus, so this would definitely be a good idea. I know I'd take advantage of it...

rahulsekhar
04-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Chisox1234
I live on the IIT campus and unfortunately no, they don't offer any kind of special discounts, so I usually end up attending the half-price nights. Everybody around here is always complaining that there's not much to do on or around campus, so this would definitely be a good idea. I know I'd take advantage of it...

Anyone know how to contact Brooks Boyer?

AngelLeroy
04-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Haven't posted here in a while, mostly been lurking, but yeah, I go to IIT as well and the Sox offer NOTHING for IIT students. I've seen a few promotions for Cubs games, ($3 tickets... it was still a ripoff) but never anything for the Sox. Brooks Boyer stated that he was going to have a suggestion email account set up so fans could send suggestions on how to get more people into the park. If it's not BS, I know I'll be sending something in about promotions for local colleges such as IIT.

tebman
04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
Haven't posted here in a while, mostly been lurking, but yeah, I go to IIT as well and the Sox offer NOTHING for IIT students. I've seen a few promotions for Cubs games, ($3 tickets... it was still a ripoff) but never anything for the Sox. Brooks Boyer stated that he was going to have a suggestion email account set up so fans could send suggestions on how to get more people into the park. If it's not BS, I know I'll be sending something in about promotions for local colleges such as IIT.

Don't know if you've seen this from the Southtown:

Help Sox corner the market
The White Sox this week hired Brooks Boyer as their new marketing director. To help him in his new job, the Daily Southtown is calling on its readers to send in their suggestions on how the team can become more appealing and draw more fans to U.S. Cellular Field.
What can the Sox do to fill the seats as consistently as the Cubs fill Wrigley Field? Should further improvements be made to the park? What kinds of promotions should the Sox have? What about ticket prices and concession prices?
The Sox need to know what fans like you think.
E-mail your suggestions to sports@dailysouthtown.com or call our Sound Off hot line at (708) 633-6752. Include your full name, your home town and your telephone number. We'll publish the best suggestions.

Also, check out Phil Arvia's column on the same subject:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x28-ard1.htm

Looks like a window of opportunity.

- tebman

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Lets not forget the most IMPORTANT PERCEPTION........that of the MEDIA Constantly REINFORCING the idea the Comiskey & Bridgeport are "dangerous". Where do you think the people are getting this idea? I was in a Freaking bar in DelMar CA, 2000 miles from Bridgeport, and this guy finds out im a SOX fan, and says hes "heard its a bad area" where the SOX play?

I had a similar experience with an acquaintance who is an aspiring sports journalist down here in Dallas. He was very surprised when I presented him with the facts because everything he had ever heard from the media was the exact opposite of the truth about crime rates in Wrigleyville and Bridgeport.

BigFrankFan
04-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I can't believe the SOX organization has zero promotions for not just IIT students but UIC as well. This is like the easiest thing to do & I'm guessing might pull a 1000 more fans a night. No one says they have to break the bank, but how about a $5 discount on tickets for students at the gate showing a valid id from either school. You can throw in Kent, Columbia, Roosevelt, & a few other S Loop schools.

I think this needs to be #1 on the SOX list.

AngelLeroy
04-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by tebman

The White Sox this week hired Brooks Boyer as their new marketing director. To help him in his new job, the Daily Southtown is calling on its readers to send in their suggestions on how the team can become more appealing and draw more fans to U.S. Cellular Field.
What can the Sox do to fill the seats as consistently as the Cubs fill Wrigley Field? Should further improvements be made to the park? What kinds of promotions should the Sox have? What about ticket prices and concession prices?
E-mail your suggestions to sports@dailysouthtown.com or call our Sound Off hot line at (708) 633-6752. Include your full name, your home town and your telephone number. We'll publish the best suggestions.

- tebman

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see that. I'm not much for reading newspapers from this city, although the Southtown is worth it. I'll be sending an email shortly to the Southtown about this. Hopefully, the Sox will start giving discounts to local colleges, as the potential to recruit fans from all around the country is a hard one to pass up, in my opinion.

hsnterprize
04-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Good morning,

I'm writing you in response to a couple of articles in your April 28th sports section about not only the new Marketing Director for the Chicago White Sox, but also on how that individual can reach out to more fans to hopefully get them into the ballpark. I confess I don't read the Daily Southtown as much as the Tribune and Sun Times, but if I continue to read great articles from authors like Mike Imrem and Phil Arvia, I just might have to change that morning news reading habit.

As far as "suggestions" solicited by the Southtown to send to Brooks Boyer, the Sox' new marketing director, I do have a few to offer...both original ideas from me as well as from others. I know I'm not the only one who has sent in this link, but please check out http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com and read this link about your paper's articles, and what fans think...

WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32442)

Just like what Arvia and Imrem said in their respective articles, the word needs to get out about the area around U.S. Cellular Field being SAFER than the area around Wrigley. Whether it be in the newspapers, the radio, TV, or by carrier pigeon, people need to know that not only are the areas of Bronzeville and Bridgeport improving as we speak, but according to the Chicago Police Department, there is LESS reported crime around Sox Park than Wrigley Field. There may not be bars right across the street from Sox park, but you won't find anyone peeing in the neighboring yards either.

Also, as many frequenters of White Sox Interactive, or WSI, have said, there needs to be some kind of marketing and discounted tickets for students (high school and college). The Illinois Institiute of Technology is near the green line stop on 35th street, but there are students from all Chicago colleges who can benefit froma Sox game. I'm sure there is a way to attract students from Loyola, Northwestern, Robert Morris College, Columbia College, Northeastern University, UIC, and other schools in the city and suburbs to get them interested in Sox baseball...after all, there are plenty of such who frequent Wrigley Field. What's wrong with a discounted ticket with proper I.D.? The Sox do that for the military (and the discount is well deserved in that area), so why not draw the students in?

According to Imrem's article, the Sox have to attract the "average Joe" instead of going after the trendy, "beautiful" people who often go to Wrigley. Is there any wonder why half-price ticket promotions work so well at the Cell? Let's face it, the main crowd who often go to Sox games can't afford to pay the prices to go to the ballpark, and that's not including parking and concessions. While lowering the prices in all price ranges isn't too practical considering the modern economy of MLB, what's wrong with having, say, "family packs", or discounts for kids up to a certain age? If the Twins can have a package where a "family of 4" can have tickets, hot dogs, drinks, and souvenirs at a reasonable price, what's stopping the Sox from having a similar package? I have 2 small kids...and I was able to take them to the zoo this week partially because admission for them is free. Obviously, there has to be some kind of common ground in this category, but what's the problem with offering a ticket for kids, say, 10 and under for less than the regular price for an adult? Maybe kids 3 and under can get in for $1 for even free with a paid adult admission every day instead of just once a month. Families want to go to the ballpark, but it's cheaper to watch a game at home rather than pack the family in the van and drive to U.S. Cellular Field and see a game in person. If minor league teams can figure that out, why not the Sox?

Gimmicks are nice every so often. There's nothing wrong with half-price nights, Elvis nights, fireworks nights, dog days, and other Sox promotions. However, relying on gimmicks alone to draw the fans in isn't working...we already see that. In my perspective, a lack of aggressive marketing by the Sox on top of an aggressive Cubs marketing campaign over the years has led up to the attendance disparities we have today. To tell you the truth, I'm literally sick and tired of all the stories in the papers, on TV, and on the radio about "why the fans aren't going to Sox Park." However, I'm tired of constantly defending and making excuses for the sea of blue seats we're seeing on TV over and over again...and I put the blame on the top brass of the Sox for the problem. Of course, it needs to be pointed out that all the gimmicks won't replace a consistently-winning team. What happens on the field is WAY more important than all the ticket discounts, giveaways, and other incentives. However, with so many "casual fans" wanting to have a "good time" at the ballpark, I think it's important the Sox make as much noise as possible that they're wanting to make the fan experience at the Cell as enjoyable as possible. The Sox need to let the world know there are places where fans can socialize before and after the game in the surrounding neighborhoods. So what if there's no ivy on the outfield wall...but you can say it was former Sox owner Bill Veeck's idea to put ivy on the wall at Wrigley in the first place. So what if a celebrity doesn't sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch...but tell the people Harry Caray sang told fans to "root, root, root for the WHITE SOX..." first. And while we're on Harry, the Sox need to do some MAJOR damage control and publicly apologize to Dutchie Caray for their treatment of Harry while he was on the South Side. And if Jerry Reinsdorf is too stubborn to let bygones be bygones, then the next owner of the Sox needs to clean up Jerry's mess on that regard.

I know this was long, but there's one simple point here...I'm a PROUD WHITE SOX FAN, and I want this team to do better both on and off the field. While there's no question as to the Sox being the better team in town historically, the Cubs have owned the P.R. war of the 2 teams since the early-80's, when Wrigley Field turned into potential condominium property to the world's largest beer garden. Even if the Cubs weren't riding the momentum of their recent success, people bent on seeing Wrigley Field would flock to their "cathedral" and worship in the aisles of ivy, rooftops, cheap beer, hot women, and an occasional Sammy Sosa home run...that's if they're not talking on their cell phones throughout the game. Winning will obviously cure all ills for a while, but even when the Sox aren't contending for a pennant, it's good to know people can go to U.S. Cellular Field and enjoy themselves.

No...U.S. Cellular Field is not Wrigley Field. So what. It's not supposed to be. However, media perceptions, constant bad commentaries, and other repeated negatives have made it seem as if it Sox Park wasn't rebuilt into Wrigley Field South, then there's no hope. I for one will not stand for such perceptions, and I'm hoping papers like yours will keep getting the word out about the GOOD things about the Sox. Maybe if the Daily Southtown keeps doing that, the Sun Times, Trib, and other periodicals, as well as the radio and TV reporters, will start to "get it"...unlike the people up north with regards to your paper.

Keep up the good work.

You like it? Tell me whatcha think.

thepaulbowski
04-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Couldn't be said much better than that. Nice job.

The Big Squirt
04-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I can't believe the SOX organization has zero promotions for not just IIT students but UIC as well. This is like the easiest thing to do & I'm guessing might pull a 1000 more fans a night. No one says they have to break the bank, but how about a $5 discount on tickets for students at the gate showing a valid id from either school. You can throw in Kent, Columbia, Roosevelt, & a few other S Loop schools.

I think this needs to be #1 on the SOX list.

An easy way to fill up the upper deck...Chicago Symp. orchestra has done this for years

Students that walk up get tickets for like $6...and with CSO it used to be best remaining tickets if you walked up 15 min before the downbeat.

BeerHandle
05-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by tebman

- tebman

Tebman - Do you know when the Southtown is going to publish the suggestions sent in.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
They did last week.

Lip

alohafri
05-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They did last week.

Lip

I saw you made it too, Lip!

BeerHandle
05-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They did last week.

Lip

Do you have a copy? I couldn't find it on their web site.

viagracat
05-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I recently had a discussion with a guy on this topic. He thought the Stateways and Taylors were still standing across the Ryan from the Cell. If this dude ever traveled south of Roosevelt, he would've known most of the high rises are gone. I pretty much ended the discussion at that point since I don't have the time to argue with ignoramuses like him.