PDA

View Full Version : Sox back home in Chicago

Jerry_Manuel
09-12-2001, 08:17 PM
From whitesox.com
White Sox coming home
Flags are flying at half-mast at Comiskey Park.
The White Sox will not be spending the night in Cleveland after all. The team has decided to return to Chicago Wednesday night and is expected to arrive around 11:00 p.m. Due to the terrorist attacks on New York City's World Trade Center and the Pentagon, the White Sox left New York City by bus early Wednesday morning. The team's original plan was to spend the night in Cleveland and await word on when and where the baseball season would resume. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig has postponed all Major League Baseball games through Thursday. The Sox are scheduled to play a weekend series in Minnesota beginning Friday night. The team plans to work out at Comiskey Park Thursday at 10:30 a.m.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2001, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From whitesox.com
White Sox coming home
Flags are flying at half-mast at Comiskey Park.
The White Sox will not be spending the night in Cleveland after all. The team has decided to return to Chicago Wednesday night and is expected to arrive around 11:00 p.m. Due to the terrorist attacks on New York City's World Trade Center and the Pentagon, the White Sox left New York City by bus early Wednesday morning. The team's original plan was to spend the night in Cleveland and await word on when and where the baseball season would resume. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig has postponed all Major League Baseball games through Thursday. The Sox are scheduled to play a weekend series in Minnesota beginning Friday night. The team plans to work out at Comiskey Park Thursday at 10:30 a.m.

God Bless our White Sox. There are people on the email list seriously upset that baseball hasn't restarted. One guy (bet you can't guess!) is upset his tickets for Cal Ripken's last game likely won't be the last game anymore.

Sick stuff.

Jerry_Manuel
09-12-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
God Bless our White Sox. There are people on the email list seriously upset that baseball hasn't restarted. One guy (bet you can't guess!) is upset his tickets for Cal Ripken's last game likely won't be the last game anymore.

Sick stuff.

Since I am on the email list I'm pretty sure it was Kosin.

FarWestChicago
09-12-2001, 08:29 PM

Sick stuff. Wow, those are some screwed up priorities! They need to get a grip.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Since I am on the email list I'm pretty sure it was Kosin.

Give that man a cigar!

In fairness, nearly all of the rest of the list is taking him to task for his screwed up priorities.

KempersRS
09-12-2001, 08:35 PM
I'm glad they have put these games on the backburner for now. Its a little too soon, obviously even more so for sporting events in New York. But it is important that we get sports going again. Two huge reasons for this I am sure you all know anyway. We can't let the terrorists make us live in fear or change our lives, we need to get back to our life. Second of all we need a diversion, the talk has been drilled into our minds for two days. While we mourn for all those lost and their families, we need to put sports away out of respect. But in a few days I think a good game on TV will be something that will help this country. It amazing how many things we take for granted, its amazing how much I'd just like to a watch a baseball game right now.

Kilroy
09-12-2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
It amazing how many things we take for granted, its amazing how much I'd just like to a watch a baseball game right now.

Amen. No disrespect to the the injured and murdered, but we must get back to our lives as soon as we possibly can. Of course, there's countless people who's lives will never be the same, and in fact, that's all of us. But we can't let these cowardly acts change what our fathers and our father's fathers have built. We have to get back, and yet absorb what has happened and let it make us stronger.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2001, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Amen. No disrespect to the the injured and murdered, but we must get back to our lives as soon as we possibly can. Of course, there's countless people who's lives will never be the same, and in fact, that's all of us. But we can't let these cowardly acts change what our fathers and our father's fathers have built. We have to get back, and yet absorb what has happened and let it make us stronger.

While I certainly don't disagree with this sentiment, I don't think sports has any meaningful role in returning life to normal--if such a thing can even exist after such a tragedy.

Clearly the criminals who masterminded this attack have other things to measure the success of their barbaric acts than how many baseball games get cancelled.

One of the all-time stupid decisions in sports was the NFL deciding to play their regular Sunday schedule after JFK was assassinated on a Friday in 1963. The league is still criticized for that decision, including by most of the still-living players.

"Rozelle was an idiot."
:ironmike

Kilroy
09-12-2001, 11:46 PM
While I certainly don't disagree with this sentiment, I don't think sports has any meaningful role in returning life to normal--if such a thing can even exist after such a tragedy.

That was a bit soon. But I don't know about the role sports plays in Americana. In the grand scheme of things, yes, it's trivial. But as the country with the most professional sports in the world, it is part of our way of life.

Dadawg_77
09-12-2001, 11:53 PM
FDR kept the games going durring WWII, because the nation needed to take its mind of the war. Baseball and all sports should a take a few days to be respectfull of the dead adn wounded of this act, but need to start palying again. Would you rather worry about Bonds catching McGwire or who is filliing those 6000 requested body bags in NYC? Now we all know which is of greater importance, but we needed something to easy our minds in this trying time.