PDA

View Full Version : 100mph?


Kadafi311
04-28-2004, 10:24 AM
During the game last night, Politte hit 100MPH on the radar gun. Did anyone else notice that?

Now, I realize 100MPH is as useful as 50MPH if you can't hit your spots, but I didn't realize Politte could throw that hard. To me this is pretty damn promising given the fact that, outside of last nights outing, he has had great command.

Puts him on a pretty short list.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
During the game last night, Politte hit 100MPH on the radar gun. Did anyone else notice that?

Now, I realize 100MPH is as useful as 50MPH if you can't hit your spots, but I didn't realize Politte could throw that hard. To me this is pretty damn promising given the fact that, outside of last nights outing, he has had great command.

Puts him on a pretty short list.

That 100 mph could've been Travis Hafner's swing.

jabrch
04-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
During the game last night, Politte hit 100MPH on the radar gun. Did anyone else notice that?

Now, I realize 100MPH is as useful as 50MPH if you can't hit your spots, but I didn't realize Politte could throw that hard. To me this is pretty damn promising given the fact that, outside of last nights outing, he has had great command.

Puts him on a pretty short list.

Politte always threw hard - I didn't realize that hard. However his control has also always been an issue. He is hittable and walks a lot of hitters. Frankly, I am no more comfortable with him on the hill than with Koch - and that's scary.

davidleeroth
04-28-2004, 10:53 AM
there's absolutely no movement on his fastball, so i guess 100 mph is about equal to 75 for all it really matters

owensmouth
04-28-2004, 11:10 AM
I went back and looked at the game again, at least that portion that Politte was in. He got to 100 on one pitch. The rest were between 84 and 96 mph. The home run hit was on a pitch the gun said was 96.

I also saw again that Belliard's single was because Magglio failed to call off Willie, who was unable to make a difficult over the shoulder catch. For Magglio it would have been a simple pop up. Belliard scored on a second out fly ball to Carlos by Visquel. Belliard never should have been on base. The tying run would never have scored.

Nice going Magglio.

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
there's absolutely no movement on his fastball, so i guess 100 mph is about equal to 75 for all it really matters What? If you can locate a 100 mph fastball, it can be straight as an arrow and you'll get people out. People can gain timing, but it's very difficult to time that, especially if you can locate well which I mentioned.

Hokiesox
04-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I went back and looked at the game again, at least that portion that Politte was in. He got to 100 on one pitch. The rest were between 84 and 96 mph. The home run hit was on a pitch the gun said was 96.

I also saw again that Belliard's single was because Magglio failed to call off Willie, who was unable to make a difficult over the shoulder catch. For Magglio it would have been a simple pop up. Belliard scored on a second out fly ball to Carlos by Visquel. Belliard never should have been on base. The tying run would never have scored.

Nice going Magglio.

Trade him

CHISOXFAN13
04-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I went back and looked at the game again, at least that portion that Politte was in. He got to 100 on one pitch. The rest were between 84 and 96 mph. The home run hit was on a pitch the gun said was 96.

I also saw again that Belliard's single was because Magglio failed to call off Willie, who was unable to make a difficult over the shoulder catch. For Magglio it would have been a simple pop up. Belliard scored on a second out fly ball to Carlos by Visquel. Belliard never should have been on base. The tying run would never have scored.

Nice going Magglio.

Maggs was obviously not ready to field the ball because he was too busy looking at the hot blonde down the right field line with the...well, you know.

Heck, maybe that shouldn't be in teal.

Clembasbal
04-28-2004, 11:59 AM
It doesn't matter how fast you throw with these quick swings in MLB. MArte hit 99 also, but he did that last year as well.

Remember Matt Anderson from the Tigers...he would throw 103mph for Rice and for the Tigers...he is in the minors right now because his fastball was as straight as they come, Konerko even deposited one about three years back in the 9th or 10th inning against him.

Movement on fastballs is the way to go, look at all the successful closers and pitchers.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 12:05 PM
All I have to say is Kyle Farnsworth. Enough said on this topic.

I'd prefer arms with great control over arms with speed.

Take Vasquez of the NYY. What a future this kid has.
He's like a young Pedro only healthier. Damn, I wish the SOX could have traded for him over the years.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
Take Vasquez of the NYY. What a future this kid has.
He's like a young Pedro only healthier. Damn, I wish the SOX could have traded for him over the years.

I totally agree with you dude. This guy has been great with Montreal but no one noticed. I was upset when the Yankees got him. Of course my ignorant Yankee loving friends thought they signed some no-name loser.

Yankees Fan = Stupid Cub fan or Red Sox fan

SpringfldFan
04-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
It doesn't matter how fast you throw with these quick swings in MLB. MArte hit 99 also, but he did that last year as well.

Remember Matt Anderson from the Tigers...he would throw 103mph for Rice and for the Tigers...he is in the minors right now because his fastball was as straight as they come, Konerko even deposited one about three years back in the 9th or 10th inning against him.

Movement on fastballs is the way to go, look at all the successful closers and pitchers.

103? No way. Uh-uh. Somebody either lied or had faulty equipment. That's about as likely as running the 100 meter in under 9 seconds. It just isn't humanly possible.

sas1974
04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
103? No way. Uh-uh. Somebody either lied or had faulty equipment. That's about as likely as running the 100 meter in under 9 seconds. It just isn't humanly possible.

Although I have never seen it, I have heard of Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson breaking 100mph.

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Although I have never seen it, I have heard of Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson breaking 100mph. I've seen Nolan Ryan clocked at 105 on a few different occasions.

Huisj
04-28-2004, 01:14 PM
a few things. Pollitte hit 99 on the gun opening day too. it seemed like the gun was clocking everything about 3-4 mph too fast that day. That could very well have been the case last night. I've never seen Marte throw 99, and I don't think he can. 94-96 is about what he seems to top out at.

also, matt anderson is in the minors now because he doesn't throw 103 anymore. he barely throws 93. he looked like absolute crap in teh spring training games i saw on tv this spring. he didn't throw hard much last year either. he blew out his arm.