PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Making a Difference?


SEALgep
04-28-2004, 09:40 AM
I know it may not mean a lot to some, and even less to those sick of the issue itself, however this is relevant IMO. The Sun Times lead the Cubs stories with two full page Sox stories, despite both teams losing. Is this nothing and just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think Ozzie got the word out, and as much as the writers themselves may have disagreed, apparently the editors heard him loud and clear and decided to do something about it. This might not be the ultimate trend, but little steps are good to come by. I'm glad the Sox said something, and even more happy that it did seem to make a difference.

MHOUSE
04-28-2004, 09:43 AM
I think last year's team would've given up on Sunday and Monday, but Ozzie gives them so fight and they don't seem to roll over anymore. We've come back and stayed in games a lot more than last season. Also the pinch-hitting and lineups seem to make a lot more sense. I love the offense. Ozzie just needs to get a handle on the bullpen a little more.

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 09:46 AM
So when then does Ozzie start Uribe over Harris, I hope it happens as soon as Jose comes back

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Although I agree with you both, I think you missed the point of the thread. Oh well, go Ozzie! :D:

rahulsekhar
04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I know it may not mean a lot to some, and even less to those sick of the issue itself, however this is relevant IMO. The Sun Times lead the Cubs stories with two full page Sox stories, despite both teams losing. Is this nothing and just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think Ozzie got the word out, and as much as the writers themselves may have disagreed, apparently the editors heard him loud and clear and decided to do something about it. This might not be the ultimate trend, but little steps are good to come by. I'm glad the Sox said something, and even more happy that it did seem to make a difference.

The Trib also has an unusually positive article on Frank where they didn't twist his media silence into some sort of clubhouse cancer, but instead said (correctly) that he's letting his bat do the talking and is doing well. IMO that's a big change from the usual Frank stories they (and others) do, and I think that's directly attributable to the attention placed on the media imbalance in this town.

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Ok sorry, I was off track last time. I do think that the Sox are better off with Ozzie for the simple reason that they haven't quit yet, and like last night they have been giving themselves a chance to win.

I am looking for is for Ozzie to correct a couple of things as the season progresses.

The horrible baserunning decisions made by the ENTIRE team, -NEWSFLASH-this is the major league you have to know how to run the bases.

Also I noticed in particular this weekend and it seemed to have started against NY, but it looks like these guys are trying to crank the ball at every at bat-evidenced by all the pop up outs that we have been giving up-much like last year-The old Home runs or no runs Sox

If Ozzie can get these guys to get base hits again I will be very happy, It was nice to see Frank get that har single last night.

soxnut
04-28-2004, 10:28 AM
I think Ozzie is making a difference, both in the papers and on the field. I was surprised to see as many articles o the Sox in the paper today.

As for on the field, I was at the game yesterday. Of course there were some baserunning mistakes. But there was also some good agressive baserunning. I know of at least one run that was scored from good baserunning. And that is something that is ENTIRELY different than we were seeing under Manuel. If they keep that up, that one exta run becuase of it will create alot more wins.

Some of these players still seem to get in the mode of trying to hit home runs, when a base hit will do. I hope that loss yesterday will teach the Sox something. All the Indians tried to do in the game was get on base. While the Sox, once again, were swining for the fences.(Of course the free passes the Sox gave up didn't help)

jabrch
04-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
So when then does Ozzie start Uribe over Harris, I hope it happens as soon as Jose comes back


Jose is due back early next week. We will see then.

maurice
04-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Either Ozzie and our letter-writing has made an impact . . . or (more likely) the media is trying to bury the news that the cubs got absolutely destroyed in consecutive days by a team that came into the series with only 7 wins in 18 games.

KingXerxes
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I think the fact that the Cubs are playing late games also contributes to the difference. The box scores aren't in the paper the next day, and the stories are obvious written while the game is going and the result is thrown in at the last minute.

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by maurice
or (more likely) the media is trying to bury the news that the cubs got absolutely destroyed in consecutive days by a team that came into the series with only 7 wins in 18 games.




That is a great observation, spread that word, sounds fishy to me and a little coincedental since the cubs have been getting their head beat in....wish it was by my foot

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
No offense, but let's be honest here. If you are supposed to be impartial to the 2 teams then the team that played best should get more coverage on a game to game basis. Wouldn't you agree?

So we have a SOX game that ended with bases loaded & Frank representing the tying run at the plate in the bottom of the ninth

OR

a cub game in which they were shutout for 8 innings & got clobbered for the 2nd night in a row. A total of 17 shutout innings in the 2 games. A combined score of 19-1.

Which team would you choose to cover more?

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
No offense, but let's be honest here. If you are supposed to be impartial to the 2 teams then the team that played best should get more coverage on a game to game basis. Wouldn't you agree?

So we have a SOX game that ended with bases loaded & Frank representing the tying run at the plate in the bottom of the ninth

OR

a cub game in which they were shutout for 8 innings & got clobbered for the 2nd night in a row. A total of 17 shutout innings in the 2 games. A combined score of 19-1.

Which team would you choose to cover more? I think it's more obvious to us than the rest of the media spectrum.