PDA

View Full Version : Koch numbers

HomerCoach
04-28-2004, 09:38 AM
I know we can't, but if we took Koch's BS vs, KC out of his stats his numbers would be:

7 2/3 IP
2 R
1 ER
1.23 ERA
4 BB
9 K
1W
0 L
1 S

not too bad

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 09:41 AM
I hear that, but there seems to be no middle ground with him, and he never makes it look easy. I think he tries to hard just like our hitters alway trying to knock the ball out all the time, just look at all the pop outs that they have started getting again, looks just like last year, home runs or no runs, Koch or no Koch. I hate baseball season, 6 months of my mood being dictated by a ball club everyday.

Dadawg_77
04-28-2004, 10:28 AM
You can't take numbers that out of his stats unless you say they were exceptional reasons for that performance. If I took out every time Harris got out, then he be a perfect leadoff man

jabrch
04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
I know we can't, but if we took Koch's BS vs, KC out of his stats his numbers would be:

7 2/3 IP
2 R
1 ER
1.23 ERA
4 BB
9 K
1W
0 L
1 S

not too bad

I was thinking that also - but didn't want to incite this discussion. Since you started it, I'll jump in. I am not ready to just give up Koch for a bag of balls. he is throwing well right now. Mid-90s and decent movement. There is a spot for him in this pen - and there are save opps for him. I don't think his stuff this year has been any worse than Marte or Politte.

HomerCoach
04-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You can't take numbers that out of his stats unless you say they were exceptional reasons for that performance. If I took out every time Harris got out, then he be a perfect leadoff man

I didn't take 5 or 6 appearances out, I took 1 performance out. He pitched 2/3 of an inning and gave up 4 ER, besides that he has been scored on twice, once earned.

Take 1 of Willie Teeball's bad games away, what conclusion do you come up with? He's still awful.

A.T. Money
04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
If you saw last night's game, I think you saw some of the Billy Koch of old. Once the bases were loaded, he got all pissed off, and struck out the next two guys with 6 pitches.

He needs to come out of the dugout all pumped up like that.

Dadawg_77
04-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
If you saw last night's game, I think you saw some of the Billy Koch of old. Once the bases were loaded, he got all pissed off, and struck out the next two guys with 6 pitches.

He got lucky that the batters were swinging at anything. If the Tribe had a disicpline hitter up there, we won't of had to talk about Adtkins today.

jabrch
04-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money

Someone ought to slap his ass silly in the pen before he comes out to pitch. Any volunteers?

starboy0
04-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
...I hate baseball season, 6 months of my mood being dictated by a ball club everyday...

Ain't it the truth! Nothing better than a win, nothing worse than a loss. And the problem is I can't do anything about it. I can't stop being a fan of the Sox. My name is Bob and I have a problem. Last night was a game we should have won. I mean they were HUGELY lucky with all the duck snorts but we missed so many opportunities to score and blew plays.

Would Minnesota have let a game like that get away?

We'll get them today.

Rocky Soprano
04-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Someone ought to slap his ass silly in the pen before he comes out to pitch. Any volunteers?

I'm first in line. I hadnt had an outburst like I had last night watching Koch walking people, hitting people. Then when he got out of the inning, I was so happy for him. If he needs to get pumped up then someone should talk about his mom, slap him, and kick him in the ass right when he leaves the bullpen.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 12:58 PM
The problem with Koch is that he always plays with fire. His control is never good enough to put out a 1-2-3 inning. The more ducks you put on the pond & the more ducks you face increase your odds of giving up a run.

However; given Marte's ineffectiveness right now I'd rather have a gambler who is likely to hold the fort down (albeit under fire) than a guy who if his location is slightly off is a HR waiting to happen.

mdep524
04-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Personally, I think looking for positives and gaining confidence in Koch is the worst thing that could happen. He is just going to burn us in the long run, there's no question. It's better to acknowledge that now and get him as far away from anything resembling a close game as humanly possible.