PDA

View Full Version : Same old Socks

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 01:59 AM
We came into this long homestand 8-4. Now we're 11-8. That's a 3-4 mark so far. Not good. I thought we'd take advantage of this stretch against awful, awful teams and run away temporarily with the division. I looked up at the lineup board and the Indians have absolutely nobody. (The only guy who was even remotely a star at one point was Vizquel, and that was for his glove). They've outscored us on the season, but be real, that won't last. We should pummel them.

Instead, just like the post 2000 Sox, we don't take advantage of anything and Minnesota keeps winning. This is such crap. So far, I have no reason to believe this year will be any different. They started off hot and that got my hopes up, but now that I think about it, they started off hot the last two years and then sunk right about this time. In 2002, they were 19-11, last year, they came out of the gate 8-5. I decided that until they prove me wrong, I'm just going to assume we'll fall back into mediocrity and our only fun will be a second half push that ultimately comes up short.

LASOXFAN
04-28-2004, 03:13 AM
I don't want to agree with you because I'm caught up in all the "good vibes" emanating from the transformed sox clubhouse, but in truth, the way these guys play makes me wince sometimes. The pitching is adequate, at best, and the hitting is still so reliant on the long ball for a rally. It's better than last year, but I just don't know that the talent is there. I thought Crede and Rowand would be much better, but they're not. Harris is a disappointment and CLee seems to be playing in a different park some days. I fear it could be a very long season. But since it's still April I won't make any judgements. By June we'll know what kind of team this is and what their chances are, realistically.

ChiSoxJay
04-28-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm very concerned with the mental mistakes we seem to be making everygame. Konerko & Harris seemed to be leading this category by far. The bonehead play Konerko made over the weekend by throwing the ball at Wright's feet probably cost us that game as well as his baserunning blunder late in the game last night. He's the last guy who should be trying to advance to third on a grounder hit to a shortstop!! As far as Harris goes.....this just in....Harris has just grounded out to the second baseman on the first pitch AGAIN!!!!!!!

infohawk
04-28-2004, 10:45 AM
While we are only 3-4 on the current home stand, remember that two of those losses were against the Yankees. The Yankees haven't played very well, but one of those games was against Vazquez who has seemed liked a world-beater. Two of our wins against Tampa Bay were the result of very gutsy performances. The Devil Rays certainly aren't one of baseball best teams, but I wouldn't say that they suck. I was extremely impressed with their team speed and defense, especially in the outfield. It wasn't a coincidence that it seemed exceedingly difficult to get extra base hits off of them. They cover the gaps very well and in doing so blunt one of our club's strengths. Its difficult to speculate, but I couldn't help but think that they might have swept us in that series if it had occurred last year. The D-Rays get a bad rap because of the quality of the division in which they play.

Remember, all we have to do to stay viable in our division is to be around .500 by the trade deadline. If we are over .500, it is a bonus. Minnesota has been winning, but the high ERA among their starters will eventually put a huge strain on their bullpen which could start to fray. Right now, Kansas City doesn't even seem to be a factor. Its unlikely that any team is going to run away with this division in the first half of the season. We lost to Cleveland, but so what. Out of 19 games we are bound to lose a few. Both Garland and Politte had bad games. If just one of them pitches as expected, we win that game. It happens sometimes and will happen again.

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 10:54 AM
This homestand might look better in the late. I know we have the stuff to beat Cleveland tonigt and Toronto coming in late in the week could help a lot. They aren't playing great ball (I know at times neither are we) but the odds seem to be in our favor for the series. We just need our hitters to settle down and stop aiming for upper deck. I said it in another thread and I'm saying it again, we need to shake up the lineup a little to get better chemistry going.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
The only positive is that the last two games we scored 5 and 7. But our pitching has been very bad. All season it seems it's been one-or-the-other. At the beginning we won games despite that, now we aren't.

While we are only 3-4 on the current home stand, remember that two of those losses were against the Yankees.

I never demand* a series win against the Yankees, but you know we should've won the series because we blew the Buehrle game. That was a big disappointment to come back and have the bullpen keep blowing it. We also should've won last night, no doubt about it. And with that said we should be 5-2 on this homestand. That's not being greedy either, those were two games that we just gave away.

The last three years we're like .590 at home and .436 on the road. We're in big trouble if we keep squandering home games.

KingXerxes
04-28-2004, 01:20 PM
I'm also starting to get a sneaking suspicion that the White Sox are - once again - beginning to "play down" to the level of their competition.

I don't think Tampa Bay is all that good, but if not for a wild throw on a blown run-down (Friday) or a litany of walks in the 9th (Sunday) - they could have been swept. Last night they get the tying run to the plate in the 10th - but only because, again, the reliever can't get the ball to within 2 feet of the strike zone. Cleveland is nowhere near the team I thought they were going to be, and you simply can't let a collection of stiffs get back into the game when you're leading 4-0 after one.

It was not a good performance last night to say the least.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I chalk up yesterdays loss as bad luck and nothing more. I have never seen so many blop singles in one inning before in my life.

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

It was not a good performance last night to say the least.

We need a font color for understatements.

How about crimson?

:)

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Politte doesn't have the best control.

I like it!

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Bloop singles have something to do with it of course but how many walks did Cleveland get?

I also suggest the Sox find a different way to pitch to Omar. This guy has raked us the past few years for whatever reason. He's Cleveland's version of Sweeney and Beltran.

Lip

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
You are WAYYYYYYYYY over-reacting.

Why don't you break down that 11-8 mark?
Only 4 out of the 8 games were the SOX bats stiffled.
Two against Zambrano & two against Vasquez.
Otherwise the SOX have hit every other starter pretty good.

We are 11-8 for one reason: our bullpen is not great. In fact I don't even think they're all that good. Just adequate.

But now consider the other 4 losses. The SOX still brought the tying or winning run to the plate in most of them.

Ozzie has made a HUGE difference in this team & if we can finish April with 10 or fewer losses knowing that we are done with the Yanks, & D Rays I think that's a big plus.

It's great to know that the Twinks will have to play both of these teams when they are playing much better ball than they are now.

infohawk
04-28-2004, 01:39 PM
"The last three years we're like .590 at home and .436 on the road. We're in big trouble if we keep squandering home games."

I don't disagree with this statement, but its very early. The Sox are 11-8 and still haven't hit their stride. They have shown the ability to be somewhat dominate in all phases of the game. I would agree that they haven't always put it all together at the same time. I remain confident that they will. Last night was a perfect example. Despite his struggles, Garland was in line for a win. Cotts shut the Indians down in the seventh and I expected Politte to do the same in the eighth based upon his past performances. He was just off. A typical Politte outing would have sent the Sox to the ninth with a two-run lead. This team will take care of business when they start performing like clock-work.

The good news is that they have been finding ways to win. Last year they found ways to lose. But for some dramatic wins, they could be 8-11.