PDA

View Full Version : Somebody help me out, what happened?

joeynach
04-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Tonite was nothing short of a disaster like the opening day game. Everything happened so fast. What really happened tonite. Did we get outplayed or outmanaged. It was just ridicolous, bases loaded in the 10th thomas flies out, in the 9th and 8th men on and no hits. Our clutch reliever walking guys, hitting guys, wild pitches, hits. Somebody help me out. Did we get beaten or beat ourselves, im disgusted at this point. How do we fix this???

crector
04-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Our oh so brilliant and wonderful manager struck again, that's what happened.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 12:55 AM
The bullpen imploded, Garland got roughed up (a lot of the hits were of the bloop variety but he didn't help himself walking a guy and hitting another in the three run inning) and the Sox hit a bunch of solo home runs (which is becomming the norm for them.)

Like last year they let a bad team beat them. Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend like last year where the Tigers, Indians, Devil Rays and Padres cost them the post season.

Lip

joeynach
04-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by crector
Our oh so brilliant and wonderful manager struck again, that's what happened.

I dont see that. Explain

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The bullpen imploded, Garland got roughed up (a lot of the hits were of the bloop variety but he didn't help himself walking a guy and hitting another in the three run inning) and the Sox hit a bunch of solo home runs (which is becomming the norm for them.)

Like last year they let a bad team beat them. Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend like last year where the Tigers, Indians, Devil Rays and Padres cost them the post season.

Lip

There were so many bloop singles it's not even funny.

npdempse
04-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

That was absolutely freaky. That was one time when DJ had it spot on--that's such a chance, weird thing, you can't blame Garland for it. Luck was on Cleveland's side, and they took advantage. We take the next two, especially with the weather heating up.

kermittheefrog
04-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
I dont see that. Explain

He seems to really enjoy taking effective relievers out after one inning.

jeremyb1
04-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

C'mon Kermit, Adkins is one of our best relievers. He was lights out prior to tonight's game.

kermittheefrog
04-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
C'mon Kermit, Adkins is one of our best relievers. He was lights out prior to tonight's game.

Ya know to be perfectly honest, I've kind of come around on the idea that Adkins might make a decent reliever. He didn't have a bad season in AAA last year and I may not have been viewing him fairly due to the Durham trade. Nonetheless, Ozzie needs to leave effective relievers in the ballgame for an inning or two sometimes.

StillMissOzzie
04-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
We take the next two, especially with the weather heating up.

Uhh, the Sox are only playing a 2-game series vs. the Tribe...

SMO
:?:

hose
04-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Besides all the bloop hits and walks the base running brain cramp by Konerko in the 8th was a huge mistake.

SSN721
04-28-2004, 06:56 AM
There was a ridiculous amount of bloop singles falling for Cleveland. Garland wasnt great but the stats wont reflect the luck of how balls were falling for the Tribe. ANd I didnt have a problem with the bullpen use, most of them just imploded on the same night. Only Cotts and, suprisingly, Koch were effective.

gosox41
04-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Tonite was nothing short of a disaster like the opening day game. Everything happened so fast. What really happened tonite. Did we get outplayed or outmanaged. It was just ridicolous, bases loaded in the 10th thomas flies out, in the 9th and 8th men on and no hits. Our clutch reliever walking guys, hitting guys, wild pitches, hits. Somebody help me out. Did we get beaten or beat ourselves, im disgusted at this point. How do we fix this???

Tonight was awful. But I didn't really expect the b ullpen to maintain that 1.30 ERA or whatever it was over the last couple of weeks.

The Indians didn't hit Garland hard, just took advantage of every opportunity.

Bob

Scotty347
04-28-2004, 08:33 AM
You can complain about the "bloop" singles all you want, but it seems to me that we play the deepest outfield in the majors. All of our outfielders are standing on the warning track almost for every batter. We may not allow as many gap shots but we let a lot of balls fall in there.

voodoochile
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by hose
Besides all the bloop hits and walks the base running brain cramp by Konerko in the 8th was a huge mistake.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

I guess that commercial should say, "What's changed? Everything... and Nothing..."

This is why Konerko stealing bases is a bad idea. He suddenly becomes convinced he is actually fast enough to beat Omar's throw to third. The replay was truly disgusting and my MLBTV froze with Omar getting ready to pick up the ball and Paulie right in front of him, on his way to third. Makes you want to punch the computer screen.

Also, the teams continued failures to get people on base (specifically keeping Harris in the leadoff slot) is killing the team. When your 2-8 hitters go 14/35, 6R, 6RBI the team should win, but the fact that 4 of those runs (and also the RBI) were from HR, it becomes an indictment of the team's problems. The Sox are leading the league in HR at the moment, but they have no leadoff hitter to speak of.

Railsplitter
04-28-2004, 08:47 AM
16 hits but 7 runs, yuck. Lee gets his homer leading off the 7th, but not with mjen on in the 5th. Doo-doo happens. Funny thing. My last game at the old park the Sox gut 14 hits but lost 10-7 to the Yankees. The next day, Andy Hawkins pitched for the the Yanks, doesn't give up a hit, and still lost.

eriqjaffe
04-28-2004, 09:11 AM
What really matters is that the Cubs have been outscored 19-1 over the last two days.

jabrch
04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

DING DING DING

Garland didn't help himself with BB and HBP, but the bloops were ridiculous. Chalk this up to a strange day - and come back tomorrow.

bestkosher
04-28-2004, 09:18 AM
a few things, although the sox scored 7 runs in yesterdays game, I still still them as being in a bit of a funk hitting wise.

Second, DJ said something interesting in the 9th inning when the sox were up to bat,. "The reason we are seeing so many pop ups is because theyy are trying to hit home runs to end the game."
This goes from I have been seeing against the philosophy of OZ
If the sox could have actually remembered how to manufacture a run then the game would have been over with a White Sox winner.

Third, LIP please stay off the ledge, we are doing well against the bad teams so far, so relax.

sas1974
04-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347
You can complain about the "bloop" singles all you want, but it seems to me that we play the deepest outfield in the majors. All of our outfielders are standing on the warning track almost for every batter. We may not allow as many gap shots but we let a lot of balls fall in there.

I was going to mention this too. I know there have been many comments on air about them playing deeper this year, but I haven't had a chance to see it. I also didn't see where those bloops were landing, so I am not sure whether or not they could have caught them if they were in a little. We don't have a ton of speed in the outfield though, so maybe they are playing deeper to compensate for that.

Of course Farmio and Rooney also mentioned how shallow Gerut was playing and I know he got burned a couple of times because of it.

sas1974
04-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
DING DING DING

Garland didn't help himself with BB and HBP, but the bloops were ridiculous. Chalk this up to a strange day - and come back tomorrow.

The only problem with that is the fact the if it was only Garland's effort we had to contend with, we would have won this game. The bigger issue it the bullpen implosion. They have been great of late, so I am definitely willing to chalk it up as "it's only one game," but it hurts to lose this one. We need to beat these teams. We need to make sure these teams know that we can beat them badly, so we don't boost their confidence.

sas1974
04-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

To whom are you referring? Cotts?

jabrch
04-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
The only problem with that is the fact the if it was only Garland's effort we had to contend with, we would have won this game. The bigger issue it the bullpen implosion. They have been great of late, so I am definitely willing to chalk it up as "it's only one game," but it hurts to lose this one. We need to beat these teams. We need to make sure these teams know that we can beat them badly, so we don't boost their confidence.

Right Sas - I was saying this wasn't Garland's fault. The Bullpen needs to shoulder this one. It's sad, cuz this game was our both early and late.

I also don't blame Ozzie either. He has managed his pen consistently all season - and it has performed well. Last night, they just didn't. No excuses.

sas1974
04-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Right Sas - I was saying this wasn't Garland's fault. The Bullpen needs to shoulder this one. It's sad, cuz this game was our both early and late.

I also don't blame Ozzie either. He has managed his pen consistently all season - and it has performed well. Last night, they just didn't. No excuses.

I know the sky isn't falling yet, but I really hope the events of last night aren't foreshadowing for the remainder of the season:

Twins Rally Late to Grab Victory from the Jaws of Defeat.
White Sox Blow Lead Late to Grab Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

Dan H
04-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I didn't see enough of the game to know how well Garland pitched. I do know the Sox lost two out three to NY at home and could have been swept by the Devil Rays. This has not been a good week. Garland does have to be more consistent, and once in a while, just once in a while, the team needs a quality start from Danny Wright. Right now I am not convinced this team has what it takes to have a great season. Some all around execution would make me feel better.

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347

I was there last night, and that was my exact thought. Some of those hits could have been caught by a) speedier outfielders, or b) outfielders who weren't standing 5 feet in front of the WT.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
outfielders who weren't standing 5 feet in front of the WT.
heh heh...is that why late in the game, Maggs stood motionless under a pop fly for like 15 seconds before making the catch? I forget who hit it, but seeing Maggs standing there at the WT waiting for the ball to come down was almost comical...as if the batter had bashed it 5 miles into the sky.

[sigh] What a weird team... :(:

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 10:36 AM
That was Pathetic last night, I think we will see how the respond and i they continue playing like Jerry is managing, maybe it wasn't the manager, crap lets just trade the whole team and start fresh!!

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Harris needs to be moved back in the lineup. He isn't producing there. Uribe might not have the same speed as Harris but at least he is hitting the ball and can get on base to get something going. Can somebody call Ozzie at tell him.

jabrch
04-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
Harris needs to be moved back in the lineup. He isn't producing there. Uribe might not have the same speed as Harris but at least he is hitting the ball and can get on base to get something going. Can somebody call Ozzie at tell him.

I assume next week when Valentin comes back Harris will not only not be leading off, but he will not be starting anymore.

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I assume next week when Valentin comes back Harris will not only not be leading off, but he will not be starting anymore.

I agree, is Valentin on schedule with next week?

maurice
04-28-2004, 01:14 PM
A bad inning by Garland after the four-run first and a real bad inning by Adkins late sealed the deal.

Originally posted by pjthesox13
is Valentin on schedule with next week?

Valentin is going to do a short rehab stint with Charlotte. Maybe he'll bring Reed back to Chicago with him. If Reed and Uribe keep hitting, that's solves the top-of-the-order problem. Bat Reed leadoff and Uribe second.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 01:30 PM
What happened you ask. Well both starters got roughed up early.
There must have been something about the humidity & wind & such because balls were carrying. Balls that usually wouldn't make it out of the infield fell as duck snorts & balls that are usally kept in the yard went for homers.

Then came time for the bullpens with the SOX holding a 7-5 lead.
They proved utterly ineffective in these same conditions. The biggest surprise was Adkins. He had been close to rock steady for most of April & then imploded big time.

Still the game ending with BL & Frank representing the tying run at the plate in extra innings. Frank got good wood on a ball but just didn't get under it enough. Game over. I don't mind the SOX losing that way. It beats a 19-1 clubbing in 2 games down in AZ :D:

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Personally if you are going to lose, I'd rather lose a game 10-1 like the Cubs then what happened to the Sox.

The Cubs had no chance to win their game...the Sox did...and they know it.

Lip

kermittheefrog
04-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
To whom are you referring? Cotts?

Cotts and Marte.