PDA

View Full Version : God Was Protecting Our Sox!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Amidst all of this tragedy that we hear of concerning the whole NY/DC fiascos, there is something we can all be happy about! Our White Sox were all there on NY scheculed to play the Yankees. FOUR miles away from their hotel was the center of the action. This lead me to wonder what would have happened if the WTC would have not just gone straight down, but went INTO the city instead. Would it have hit the hotel in which our Sox were staying in?

Art Kusyner said it best in the article which talks about his experience watching the first tower go down. He said that the sight will change his life forever.

My condolences, nonetheless, do go to all those effected by the whole situaion; however, I think it's time for us to all be thankful, amidst all this horror, that our Sox were are safe!

Heather the Redbird

LongDistanceFan
09-12-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Amidst all of this tragedy that we hear of concerning the whole NY/DC fiascos, there is something we can all be happy about! Our White Sox were all there on NY scheculed to play the Yankees. FOUR miles away from their hotel was the center of the action. This lead me to wonder what would have happened if the WTC would have not just gone straight down, but went INTO the city instead. Would it have hit the hotel in which our Sox were staying in?

Art Kusyner said it best in the article which talks about his experience watching the first tower go down. He said that the sight will change his life forever.

My condolences, nonetheless, do go to all those effected by the whole situaion; however, I think it's time for us to all be thankful, amidst all this horror, that our Sox were are safe!

Heather the Redbird i more thankful for those who survive while in the building.

IA_soxfan
09-12-2001, 08:41 PM
This lead me to wonder what would have happened if the WTC would have not just gone straight down, but went INTO the city instead. Would it have hit the hotel in which our Sox were staying in?
In all likelyhood, the answer is no. The Sox were staying four miles away, and the buildings aren't even a half a mile tall. Even if the fell flat on their sides the tops of the buildings would've landed approximately 3.5 miles away, if they even fell in that direction in the first place.

Bucktown
09-12-2001, 09:51 PM
I only know of two hotels anywhere near downtown. The first is a luxury hotel that was inside the WTC. I believe it was The Plaza. The other is a small Holiday Inn on the Chinatown/Litle Italy border.

Most of the hotels are near the vicinity of Broadway and 53rd, several miles uptown.

I am amazed how those mamoth buildings collapsed upon themselves, the lack of damage to nearby buildings was miraculous.

FarWestChicago
09-12-2001, 09:55 PM
I am amazed how those mamoth buildings collapsed upon themselves, the lack of damage to nearby buildings was miraculous. It was miraculous. As bad as it was, it could have been worse.

NUCatsFan
09-12-2001, 10:14 PM
FYI...

There is a Trade Center Marriott. Don't know the state of the building, though.

NUCatsFan
09-12-2001, 11:00 PM
According to Marriott's site,

Marriott WTC, and Financial Center Marriott were both evacuated. WTCM suffered "irreparable damage", and FCM suffered "significant damage"

Dadawg_77
09-12-2001, 11:10 PM
I believed that I heard the hotel was building number 7, the third building to go down.

CLR01
09-13-2001, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by IA_soxfan

In all likelyhood, the answer is no. The Sox were staying four miles away, and the buildings aren't even a half a mile tall. Even if the fell flat on their sides the tops of the buildings would've landed approximately 3.5 miles away, if they even fell in that direction in the first place.

Well the buildings themself would not have reached the Grand Hyatt Hotel the Sox were staying in, it is very possible that the domino effect of buildings falling could have made its way to the sox hotel if the WTC had collapsed sideways, as i believe these terrorist were trying to do. Because of the collapse of both towers there are already 2 additional buildings that have totally or partially collapsed. It would not suprise me if 5 or more buildings either fall by themselfs or it is decided there is too much structural damage and is brought down by explosives/ wrecking ball. Heavy damage extends 10 blocks in all directions from the WTC falling relatively straight down, can you imagine what would have happened had they fellen on their side?

harwar
09-13-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown

I am amazed how those mamoth buildings collapsed upon themselves, the lack of damage to nearby buildings was miraculous.

If it is a miracle,its a miracle of planning & evil cunning.Those @holes knew right where to hit the building to do the most damage.They chose flights that were going cross-country so they would be heavy with fuel.The fire was so intense that the steel support girders surpased their heat ceiling and lost their structuraly integrity.When the steel melted,the floors above came down like a pile driver and the structure was driven straight down by an unbelievable force.The force was so intense that the surrounding buildings are more than likely going to have to be taken down.