PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen-Know when to hold em', know when to fold 'em

Hondo
04-27-2004, 10:49 PM
You can't use tonight's debacle to call for a total bullpen overhaul.
Well I guess you could but...

So here's the deal...It's only April, but what's your gut feeling on what we should do with the bullpen? How would you set it up and what if any moves would you make to improve it.

Personally, despite his struggles tonight I like Adkins and think he can grow into a solid setup man, possibly a closer.

-Move Cotts to the rotation
-Move Wright to long relief
-Keep using Pollite and Jackson as we have been
-Allow Wunsch back into the pen, I don't care about the lefty/righty proportions. It's about having people who can get guys out. What's the point of having a righty if all he throws are meatballs?
-Send Takatsu and Koch to Mars.

I know Botch is making 6 mil. Do you think there is any chance we could get rid of him for anything?

SEALgep
04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Shingo has settled in nicely in his last several outings.

Hondo
04-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Takatsu is here to stay. And for that I obviously hope he does well.
If we could get a bag of balls for Koch and get rid of that salary I'd be happy.

MRKARNO
04-27-2004, 11:04 PM
The bullpen is fine...except Koch.

And I guess we learned why Adkins wasnt really touted as a great prospect tonight and why his sucess was a fluke...not to say he could turn it around and post a solid 3 ERA, but he aint no 2 ERA guy. We shouldnt be using him as freely in close games anymore

SEALgep
04-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Koch did well tonight considering he had to get 4 outs that inning and still came out unscathed.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
But hey who needs Kelly Wunsch?

Lip

SEALgep
04-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The bullpen is fine...except Koch.

And I guess we learned why Adkins wasnt really touted as a great prospect tonight and why his sucess was a fluke...not to say he could turn it around and post a solid 3 ERA, but he aint no 2 ERA guy. We shouldnt be using him as freely in close games anymore One bad puting isn't enough to fairly say he is a fluke. Even if it turns out that way, it's too early to say that's the case. If you have 4 or 5 real good outings and blow one, that one shouldn't define your ability to pitch at this level. He'll probably be lights out next outing.

santo=dorf
04-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Maybe someone that would trade a second baseman that can hit and field?

SEALgep
04-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip You can say that every time a reliever blows the lead, but its reality that this is going to happen from time to time. It sucks, but I think it's a little early to say we're idiots for not having Wunsch back in the pen. Especially since hes just finishing getting back to health. He had a couple bad outings in AAA as well, so it isn't like you could say Wunsch would have shut them down tonight.

owensmouth
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Koch did well tonight considering he had to get 4 outs that inning and still came out unscathed.

I agree. I don't especially like the guy, but unlike most of the others, he got the job done.

I just don't understand why Ozzie seems to want to limit everyone of his relievers to one inning. Why did he remove Cotts?

He keeps burning through his bullpen rather than letting a guy settle in and work two, Who is he going to call on tomorrow?

mantis1212
04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Takatsu is here to stay. And for that I obviously hope he does well.
If we could get a bag of balls for Koch and get rid of that salary I'd be happy.

At this point I'd be willing to pay half his salary just to get rid of him. He is the absolute worst...

Hondo
04-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth

I agree. I don't especially like the guy, but unlike most of the others, he got the job done.

I just don't understand why Ozzie seems to want to limit everyone of his relievers to one inning. Why did he remove Cotts?

He keeps burning through his bullpen rather than letting a guy settle in and work two, Who is he going to call on tomorrow?
:rwhite:
"Ya'll should have never got rid of me! I'm Rick White, bitch!!

kittle42
04-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Maybe someone that would trade a second baseman that can hit and field?

I know a certain Chicago squad with an extra 2B...

HebrewHammer
04-28-2004, 12:26 AM
If I were running the Sox I'd nuke the bullpen, blow it up and salt the earth. Throw everyone's team picture into the paper shredder. Is there anyone in the pen that can be counted on? I say no. I'd rather see Cotts develop as a starter. I'd send him down and over the next few months I systematically throw guys into the woodchipper and rebuild the pen. Sometimes I think these guys WANT to fail, you're telling me Jon Adkins can't throw a strike? And where the hell was Ozzie? You can't leave everyone in forever, if he's calling games by his gut I'd love to know how his gut wasn't screaming for a new pitcher, somebody, anybody who can throw a strike. There is no reason this game should have been lost, maybe I'm just frustrated about losing this should-have-been-automatic-game, but I trust no one in the pen, they've proved that no lead is safe.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2004, 08:23 AM
:hitless
"Face it, homeys. Y'all knows yousa hertin without me. HER-TIN! SHEEAAA!"