PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Fan Club at U of I

AOEllis
04-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Because of the immense support the Cubs receive on campus down in Chambana, a friend of mine and I have recently started the Chicago White Sox Fan Club at the University of Illinois. We started gathering names last friday and have so far gotten about 40 people to sign up. We are planning to go the Legends to watch the Toronto game either this friday or saturday. We hope to organize trips up to the Cell, Sox Fest, and some other stuff to create a community amongst White Sox fans on campus. I am trying to design some t-shirts for the group, and I would like to ask if anyone has ideas for a design, or if anyone has a good tshirt design. If anyone is an Illinois student and has not signed up for the club, please let me know and we will get you on the email list. If anyone has some suggestions for things that we could do that would be appreciated also.

IlliniOne82
04-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Count me in! It's not even May and I'm sick of these obnoxious Cubs fans already. That would be great if we could get a bunch of people to Legend's to watch the game since Murphy's is being advertised as Champaign's home for the Cubs. The fact that you have even 40 people already is an accomplishment when it seems like all you see here are Cubs or Cards fans. My e-mail is ahubert@uiuc.edu Please add me to the list.

kbriley
04-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Way to go. I grew up in Urbana and attended the U of I in the late eighties. I go back a few times a year and whenever I ask someone at the Illni Inn or Murphies to put on the SOX game they look at me like I am from Mars. CU is Cubs and Cards territory, but good luck.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AOEllis
Because of the immense support the Cubs receive on campus down in Chambana, a friend of mine and I have recently started the Chicago White Sox Fan Club at the University of Illinois. We started gathering names last friday and have so far gotten about 40 people to sign up. We are planning to go the Legends to watch the Toronto game either this friday or saturday. We hope to organize trips up to the Cell, Sox Fest, and some other stuff to create a community amongst White Sox fans on campus. I am trying to design some t-shirts for the group, and I would like to ask if anyone has ideas for a design, or if anyone has a good tshirt design. If anyone is an Illinois student and has not signed up for the club, please let me know and we will get you on the email list. If anyone has some suggestions for things that we could do that would be appreciated also.

Great idea! Good luck!

illini13
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Great idea! When I was a student, my friends and I never knew where we should go to watch Sox games down there. I watched one of the Sox-Blue Jays playoff games at CO's in '93 and I was one of about 3 people in the bar watching the game. The bars crowd was about as disappointing as the outcome. I knew a lot of Sox fans down there too but there wasn't a bar that we all gathered at. This is a really good idea!

yadosoxfan
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Count me in as well. my email is nghiotto@uiuc.edu. UC definitely is controled by the cubs and cards, its about time we got a club going for the sox.

IlliniSox
04-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey everybody is using Illini in their screennames! No problem though, good to know everyone down there isn't a frat-chubb fan. Make it Friday at Legend's and I'll be in town.

3rdgensoxfan
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Count me in. . . . dgwernette@hotmail.com It's about time. :)

OurBitchinMinny
04-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Hell of an idea. Id like to do that up at the U of Minnesota, but doubt there is much interest. Ive met like two kids who are sox fans up here. The amount of twins hats (which i guess is to be expected in minny) and cubs hats is sickening. Good idea though. My dad is a U of I grad and would have loved the idea when he was there.

LineShot
04-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Awesome idea man, count me in! I am maybe the biggest sox fan here on my floor and have been looking for an outlet to reach other Sox fans here in Champaign. my email is lgore@uiuc.edu, hit me up with an email my friend.

AOEllis
04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Anyone interested in joining please contact me at dellis@uiuc.edu. Thanks, this will be a lot easier.

santo=dorf
04-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Any idea of where the meeting will be held tomorrow night yet?

AOEllis
04-27-2004, 07:40 PM
113 Greg, not sure on the time, but prolly 6. Ace will send out the email later tonite.

HomeFish
04-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Ozzie just said on the pregame interview that his middle son will be going to U of I. Perhaps it was just me misunderstanding Ozzietalk, but I wonder if you could get him to join your club if it's true.

AOEllis
04-27-2004, 07:55 PM
If that is true then it will definitely give us a better chance to meet players, one of our goals. That would be awesome if we could contact him.

anewman35
04-27-2004, 08:33 PM

Darn, I graduated a few years ago, but I would have loved that. I just made do with watching most games in the basement of Murphy's with a few friends. Fun, except for the 2000 playoffs. That was not so much fun.

NonetheLoaiza
04-27-2004, 09:07 PM
I am transferring to U of I next year. This club sounds pretty awesome. I am in. HeHateMe36@aol.com

beckett21
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I graduated in the class of '92. You guys make me proud!!!

:)

FJA
04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I graduated in the class of '92. You guys make me proud!!!

:)

Class of '03 ... I just missed it. Great work!

santo=dorf
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
I got four more people e-mailing you AOEllis.

AOEllis
04-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Wed 4/28- 113 Gregory Hall 6 p.m. First meeting.

DonkeyKongerko
04-28-2004, 12:39 AM
This is just awesome. I know like 3 or 4 white sox fans at this school. It's about time I found some more.

IlliniSox
04-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Are you guys aware, there's a South Side Pub Crawl in campustown Friday night? That should be teaming with lubricated southsiders with Sox hats. You guys should have some flyers and sign-up sheets ready. Guarantee you'll get 150-200 emails off of that. Good luck dudes!

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
This is a great idea but don't restrict it to just U of I.
Include UIC & IIT as well. IIT is just a short walk away from the park
& UIC is a bus ride away as well.

It be nice if there could be an organized commuter effort to pick students up at UIC on game days.

MUsoxfan
04-28-2004, 02:54 PM
I'd try to set up a club like this up at Marquette, except that they're so uptight up here, I'd be laughed out of here

WSox8404
04-28-2004, 06:54 PM

Outstanding man. I went to the U of I last year and let me tell you, when the Cubs were doing good, all you saw were dorky Cubs fans walking around. It was tough not to get into fights with the Cubs fans in my frat, since they were my brothers and all, but I eventually got the last laugh. Thank you Bartman. Props on the club though. Good luck with it.

TimChamp
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Wow, that's awesome, I've always wanted to setup a White Sox fan club down here at U of I. Too bad I'm graduating this year...But, hey I would love to be notified of your end-of-the-year events...My e-mail address at U of I is montella@uiuc.edu

--Champ out to tell his friends about the fan club

AOEllis
04-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Here is the T-shirt design we came up with. I do not know if we are going to be able to get you a t-shirt if you do not live on campus, but e-mail me and we will try to get something worked out.

Viva Magglio
04-28-2004, 10:10 PM
I think it is great the White Sox fans at UI are forming a club. May I salute our compatriots in Champaign-Urbana by saying "Oskee-Wow-Wow!" Even though the neighborhood of Rogers Park in Chicago where my alma mater, Loyola, is located has a lot of Sox fans, I wish some Loyolans would form a White Sox club up there at 6525 North Sheridan Road.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2004, 10:13 PM
just a general question....any of you UofI guys in DSP?

AOEllis
04-29-2004, 12:29 AM
First Event- Saturday, 6:00. Legends, Champaign, IL

Blue Jays v. White Sox

All reading this are welcome to attend, Alumni included.

DeportSammy
04-29-2004, 03:49 AM
NOOOOOOOO. I wont be in town on saturday...but post the next time at Legends for sure and I will be there with a bunch of my friends. Down with the bandwagon cubs hat/Wood jersey wearing frat boys at this school!

DMarte708
04-29-2004, 04:14 AM

Blue Jays v. White Sox

DAMN, I wish UIC had a White Sox fan club like the one in Urbana-Champaign. If the Spring Term wasn't ending within the next week I wouldn't mind visiting friends downstate.

AOE, for next year you should expand this club to your Illinois brethren. :D:

Deadguy
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM

Nice idea. I wish someone had started this when I went to the U of IL. In four years, I only met one other Sox fan. :(:

bennyw41
04-29-2004, 10:05 AM
You must of not got out a lot. A 2002 grad, and I had many sox fan friends. Good work on the club.

Deadguy
04-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
You must of not got out a lot. A 2002 grad, and I had many sox fan friends. Good work on the club.

2002 grad as well. I've met many more at ISU. Maybe I should start a club here.

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Nice Job AO. This is how it gets done ..........Grassroots.

anewman35
04-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Blue Jays v. White Sox

Well, if I was in Champaign I'd love to make it, but I'll be at the game instead. I think that's the right choice :-)

Chisox353014
04-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Keep up the good work - do my alma mater proud!

anewman35
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I was going to ask if you guys were doing this as an official RSO, but then I checked the list, and saw you were. Good luck getting some SORF money (or at least some free Coke products), I'm a former RSO president myself so I know how hard it is to get SORF to pay for anything. But, if you can do it, free money is always fun.

AOEllis
04-29-2004, 11:34 AM
For UI students who want a T-shirt email macevedo@uiuc.edu by 1 pm. central on thursday apr. 29 with your size.

BlackSox
04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by IlliniOne82
Murphy's is being advertised as Champaign's home for the Cubs.

It saddens me to hear that. I used to love that bar. Do they still have the really good steak sammich?

Class of '87

DeportSammy
04-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Im not sure about the steak thing, but the burgers are sweet at Murphys. Used to be one of my favorite bars until last wednesday night I walked in there to find HUGE cubs banners strung up everywhere, $5 Old Style Pitchers, and Cubs Logo Pint Glasses. it was disturbing for a sox fan, lemme tell ya. For people that go here...Joe's is a pretty good about having Sox stuff. We were there a few weeks ago and I saw many Sox posters and schedules and stuff up. :gulp:

Mr. Chicken
04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Last year I watched the last game at Murph's when the Cubs officially blew it. Obviously the place was mobbed with cubs geeks, but I represented well with my Sox hat and blatantly cheering for the Marlins. I was the one after the game who started the "lovable losers" chant...people wanted to kill me...it was beautiful.
Go White Sox!

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Nice Job AO. This is how it gets done ..........Grassroots.

Roger that!

jkrohn
05-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Any update on this? Things still going on?

I thought I talked to AOE in chat and gave him my email, but I never received anything :) jkrohn@uiuc.edu
Either way, anyone in town want to get together for the game?

Jkrohn

eurotrash35
05-28-2004, 10:24 AM
good idea!

I wish we could get something like that going here at Iowa.