PDA

View Full Version : KW on AM1000 right now...

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 03:39 PM
KW on AM1000 right now...

FYI

Mickster
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Caught the last 3 seconds of it.... any reports??

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Caught the last 3 seconds of it.... any reports??

An in depth report on Kelly Wunsch and why his return isnt in the near term plans of the club...

They like Cotts and Marte as the lefties in the bullpen and have told this to Wunsch. According to KW, he will stay in AAA until there is a change in the situation on the big club (ie. injury, trade, or bad performances). sounds like they just want Cotts on the big league roster and Kelly is the odd man out right now...

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Also that they arent worried about Carlos Lee's slow start and there arent any moves (trades) on the horizon...

nodiggity59
04-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Think we could package Wunsch and Harris for someone?

TaylorStSox
04-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
An in depth report on Kelly Wunsch and why his return isnt in the near term plans of the club...

They like Cotts and Marte as the lefties in the bullpen and have told this to Wunsch. According to KW, he will stay in AAA until there is a change in the situation on the big club (ie. injury, trade, or bad performances). sounds like they just want Cotts on the big league roster and Kelly is the odd man out right now...

I think this is fair. Cotts is much more versatile. I think it's a bad policy to hold sentimental values to a player if there's a better option for the team. Right now. Cotts > Wunsch

sas1974
04-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59

Maybe a vendor? That guys that yells, "HOT DOOOOOOOOGGG!!" really gets on my nerves. :D:

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59

How about sending Koch down? Is there really a quota for lefties and is this the best way to run a major league team. Fire kenny.

Hokiesox
04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
How about sending Koch down? Is there really a quota for lefties and is this the best way to run a major league team. Fire kenny.

I agree, but you can't send a guy to the minors when he makes 6 mil.

Or so I'm told on this board, over and over again.

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 04:01 PM

I am not sure on this, so if somebody knows for sure please correct me, but I do not think that Koch can be sent to the minors because he is a veteran player with 5+ years of MLB service. I believe he would have to accept an assignment to the minors and doubt he would do that. He would then be released and the Sox would have to pay him to sit at home...

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I am not sure on this, so if somebody knows for sure please correct me, but I do not think that Koch can be sent to the minors because he is a veteran player with 5+ years of MLB service. I believe he would have to accept an assignment to the minors and doubt he would do that. He would then be released and the Sox would have to pay him to sit at home...

So the Sox can pay someone 6 million to cost the Sox games or watch them on TV.

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 04:07 PM
So the Sox can pay someone 6 million to cost the Sox games or watch them on TV.

I would like that as well, but JR and KW would never allow it. Let's be realistic here...

TaylorStSox
04-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Koch is bad. He can be used in spots though. Right now, he's suited for middle relief.

CWSGuy406
04-27-2004, 04:32 PM

A caller brought up this situation, and I totally agreed with it:

Do something with Koch, trade him for a baseball, send him down, whatever. Move Wright to the bullpen. Call up Wunsch. Move Cotts to the fifth starter role.

dickallen15
04-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Why is everyone so sure Cotts would do better as a starter than Wright? Wright won 14 games 2 years ago, last year had a injury which he probably babied because he had never been hurt before. His last start was decent, and it was the first that he had with regular 5 day rest. If his starts become more consistent in terms of amount of time between them, his control will become more consistent. When Wright has decent control, he is very hard to hit.

bobj4400
04-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Why is everyone so sure Cotts would do better as a starter than Wright? Wright won 14 games 2 years ago, last year had a injury which he probably babied because he had never been hurt before. His last start was decent, and it was the first that he had with regular 5 day rest. If his starts become more consistent in terms of amount of time between them, his control will become more consistent. When Wright has decent control, he is very hard to hit.

I like Wright's stuff as well, he is just so inconsistent that I have lost confidence in him as a starter. I think we are staring at our answer to the gaping hole at the back of our bullpen though. I dont understand why there isnt a greater groundswell of support for this idea...

Cubbiesuck13
04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Think about the amount of pitchers who display good stuff without consitancy. Eventually Wright will show that he can be a great number 5 or even a good number 3. Not everyone can be aces right away. I think the only way this will happen is if someone gives him repeated starts. He has pitched well enough for this rotation. Hopefully he will get hot, and stay hot.

poorme
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't understand how they can keep wunsch in the minors according to MLB rules.

jabrch
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I don't understand how they can keep wunsch in the minors according to MLB rules.

I don't think they can for more than 30 days.

MarqSox
04-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I agree, but you can't send a guy to the minors when he makes 6 mil.

Or so I'm told on this board, over and over again.
Someone corect me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think you can send a player to the minors without his consent if he has 3 years of MLB service, which Koch does. (Brief rehab assignments are the exception.) I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.