PDA

View Full Version : Positive Suggestions for Mr. Brooks Boyer

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Business Man Special - 1/2 Price Tickets for Weekday day games.

This season has a total of 10 weekday day games. I would not include opening day (1:05) and the Cubs, Friday (3:05) games. Therefore, there would be 8 BUSINESS MAN SPECIAL GAMES.

What a great idea to get business people to take customers to a game.

Any other suggestions/promotions?

GO SOX!

jabrch
04-27-2004, 02:50 PM
another option is instead of half-price Wednesday - FREE PARKING Wednesday. It may be hard to have half-price days on M, T and W and still bring in sufficient revenues, but what would Free Parking cost JR? $16 per spot, less his take on each car (anyone know what his kickback is for the parking concession?)

Couldn't be too expensive, could it? And that would attract more business folks than half-price tickets would. halfprice tickets would likely attract more of the less spendy customers and a few extra businessmen.

joecrede
04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
The Sox attendance problem has little to do with the cost of seeing a game.

Boyer's first task and biggest is clearing up the misconceptions surrounding the franchise.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-27-2004, 02:54 PM
As stated in another post, the college/high school ID discount ($8 for an Upperdeck seat would be great)

Here is my list of ideas
1. Market to the Latino population, Spanish broadcasts of games and getting the Hispanic players out into the neighborhoods to counter Sosa's popularity

2. Putting the score and game situation on the marque facing the Dan Ryan to update motorists driving by...would spark interest, maybe a few accidents, but its worth it

3. Special nights for the various Unions. Good way to get fans out and bring the kids.

4. Work on special buses and trips to run through bars. Most bars already plan outings, but have a deal where they could get a ticket, sox bus ride (put an old time player on the bus) and get a free tour of the stadium or something like that

5. Don't forget that you gotta get to the kids to get fans in the future. Don't pull some stupid Waldo Wolf mascot, but get the Sox name on things given to schools, little league teams, etc. Flood the hell out of this market.

Mickster
04-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Boyer's first task and biggest is clearing up the misconceptions surrounding the franchise.

A+ in Marketing 101, Joe.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
As stated in another post, the college/high school ID discount ($8 for an Upperdeck seat would be great)

Here is my list of ideas
1. Market to the Latino population, Spanish broadcasts of games and getting the Hispanic players out into the neighborhoods to counter Sosa's popularity

2. Putting the score and game situation on the marque facing the Dan Ryan to update motorists driving by...would spark interest, maybe a few accidents, but its worth it

3. Special nights for the various Unions. Good way to get fans out and bring the kids.

4. Work on special buses and trips to run through bars. Most bars already plan outings, but have a deal where they could get a ticket, sox bus ride (put an old time player on the bus) and get a free tour of the stadium or something like that

5. Don't forget that you gotta get to the kids to get fans in the future. Don't pull some stupid Waldo Wolf mascot, but get the Sox name on things given to schools, little league teams, etc. Flood the hell out of this market.

I like the ideas.

The marque idea gave me a good chuckle because I have almost been many accidents just looking at the park. If I looked at a score board I would definetly crash!

TaylorStSox
04-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
another option is instead of half-price Wednesday - FREE PARKING Wednesday. It may be hard to have half-price days on M, T and W and still bring in sufficient revenues, but what would Free Parking cost JR? $16 per spot, less his take on each car (anyone know what his kickback is for the parking concession?)

Couldn't be too expensive, could it? And that would attract more business folks than half-price tickets would. halfprice tickets would likely attract more of the less spendy customers and a few extra businessmen.

As long as it didn't take away from Half Price tickets on certain nights. You have to remember that alot of Sox fans don't have cars. Alot of people that live in the city don't have cars. We rely on public. However, everyone HAS to have a ticket to go to the game.

jabrch
04-27-2004, 03:13 PM
:R&R

"What about us?"

Fungo
04-27-2004, 03:17 PM
I think a decent idea, even though stolen from other clubs around the league, is to have an autographed jersey night. Obviously every one coming through the turnstiles doesn't get one, but give a ticket to each fan coming in and have a drawing around the 7th inning. The first 100 tickets radomly drawn walk away with an autographed, authentic game jersey. I know the bobblehead and glove give-a-ways generally draw pretty well and I think this would also have a positive reaction. Granted, your chances are slim, but I wouldn't mind walking away from the game with a Maggs or Thomas jersey (or any other White Sox for that matter) & if my ticket isn't drawn, so what, I just saw a great game. Someone with some good marketing sense could make this work.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
I think a decent idea, even though stolen from other clubs around the league, is to have an autographed jersey night. Obviously every one coming through the turnstiles doesn't get one, but give a ticket to each fan coming in and have a drawing around the 7th inning. The first 100 tickets radomly drawn walk away with an autographed, authentic game jersey. I know the bobblehead and glove give-a-ways generally draw pretty well and I think this would also have a positive reaction. Granted, your chances are slim, but I wouldn't mind walking away from the game with a Maggs or Thomas jersey (or any other White Sox for that matter) & if my ticket isn't drawn, so what, I just saw a great game. Someone with some good marketing sense could make this work.

Again, pulling a page from the Blackhawks (yes i still go to games) they should do such a promo like stated, but have it where you get to go down on the field and the player signs the jersey right there (while its still sweaty or in the case of Koch, still dusty). Gives kids and grownups the ability to go the field and is great rapport with the fans.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Fungo

I saw that the Flubs were doing a similar promotion. At an upcoming game, everyone entering the gate get a raffle ticket. Then there will be 500 #'s drawn and the winners get an autographed Kerry Wood Ball.

joecrede
04-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
A+ in Marketing 101, Joe.

Thanks Mickster, but recognizing the macro problem was easy. Doing something about it now ... :smile:

I think the most damaging misconception to the franchise is with the media's obsession with attendance over the last 10-12 years it has unfairly labeled Sox fans as bad fans because they don't fill the park. Given the choice, would you rather be seen as a "good fan" (i.e. Cubs fan because as we've been told over and over again, they support their team.) or a "bad fan"?

Boyer needs to change this perception even if the Sox don't fill the park this year.

He can start doing that by extolling the virtues of Sox fans at every opportunity that presents itself. Heck create opportunities to do this even. :smile: Make sure people in this city understand that the franchise respects and appreciates its fans.

wilburwood
04-27-2004, 03:55 PM
I would think his first order of busines might be to identify who the base fans are. The Sox have historically drawn from mill workers, city workers, and generally blue collar type people. Me thinks Uncle Gerry's first mistake was alienating these folks and trying to make the team more Upscale. No South Side team is going to out Yuppie the the big frat house up North. Just cater to the folks paying the freight, not as underlings. Sometimes I think management views fans as a necessary evil.

mweflen
04-27-2004, 03:59 PM
$5 obstructed tickets, all year.

This includes all pole seats in the UD, and the two sliver sections surrounding the batters' eye.

Or, even better, a larger $5 budget section in the UD - the last 4 sections on each corner of the UD - similar to what KC has at Kauffman.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Patio Parties during the entire game.

Currently, the patio party begins 1 1/2 hours before the first pitch and goes until 30 minutes after the 1st pitch.

Why not make it begin 15 minutes before the game and continue to serve beer and food until the 7th inning?

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Patio Parties during the entire game.

Currently, the patio party begins 1 1/2 hours before the first pitch and goes until 30 minutes after the 1st pitch.

Why not make it begin 15 minutes before the game and continue to serve beer and food until the 7th inning?

The cost might get to prohibitive. A hour party cost a lot less to host then a 4 hour one.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The cost might get to prohibitive. A hour party cost a lot less to host then a 4 hour one.

Currently is goes for 2 hours and they stick you for a ticket at 1/2 price. Want to raise the price $5 per head and have it go form first pitch to the start of the 7th ining. (roughly 2:00-2:30)?