PDA

View Full Version : Player Salary list: Who makes too much?

mweflen
04-27-2004, 02:17 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-2004baseballsalariesalcentral,1,7115055.htmlstory? coll=cs-whitesox-promo

Chicagosports.com has a list of player salaries, including our Sox.

So I'm tallying it up, and it totals 60,712,500. And I'm thinking, THIS is so high? I don't think the Sox are over-budgeted at all. If anything, a little anemic. Sure, coaches, GM, and trainers add probably another 5 mil or so, But we're not exactly in huge territory, here.

But then, looking at our Central rivals, including our perennial bully who steals our lunch money and gives us noogies the Twins:

Twins: 53,585,000
Royals: 47,609,000
Tigers: 46,353,554

It becomes apparent that we're wasting our money somewhere. Hence the poll: Who on the Sox do you think does the least for the money?

Now, I know it's easy to just pick Billy Botch and call it a day. But there are a lot of things to consider - expectation vs. result, ideal position vs. actual role, market value within statistical category, intangibles, age, etc.

For instance, I was surprised to see Jon Garland making so much! Call us when you break 12 wins, eh?

ma_deuce
04-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Billy Crotch does. Too much money.

Deuce

quade36
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
My vote goes to Vic Daresbourg who for some weird reason with very little MLB experience, gets 1.7 mil

pjthesox13
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Koch is going to win this one by a couple thousand yards!

beckett21
04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mweflen

Now, I know it's easy to just pick Billy Botch and call it a day.

You're right...it's just THAT easy....

:gascan

mweflen
04-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah, probably should have left Krotch off the list and titled the poll "who is the SECOND most overpaid Sox player?"

But there are interesting arguments to be made for PK and Manos. I could even see a Magglio argument being made (but not succeeding...)

anewman35
04-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by quade36
My vote goes to Vic Daresbourg who for some weird reason with very little MLB experience, gets 1.7 mil

I've seen that number a few places, but there's no way that can possibly be right.

jabrch
04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
If only we had the koch/konerko money back. We could have afforded a moderate solution at 1B, and then had ample cash to either resign Bartolo or to go after a top notch closer like Wagner.

Next year, Koch and Valentin go off the books. Provided Uribe can start at SS, we should have a lot of money to resign Magglio, and still go out and get a decent FA.

mweflen
04-27-2004, 03:04 PM
What's the general feeling on Jose?

He's in the final year of his contract. He's a very popular Sox player who underperforms at his salary level. But his 25 HR per year and clutch hitting come in handy.

Any chance of him taking a cut and becoming a reserve? Say something in the $2 mil range.

Personally, I'd like to see Manos get another year or two (at much less than $5 mil) at short, Uribe as the everyday 2B, and let Willie percolate a little more. You know - learn how to hit, how to steal bases....

MRKARNO
04-27-2004, 03:24 PM
This poll just isnt fair. Koch clearly is the most overpaid player on the team

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If only we had the koch/konerko money back. We could have afforded a moderate solution at 1B, and then had ample cash to either resign Bartolo or to go after a top notch closer like Wagner.

Next year, Koch and Valentin go off the books. Provided Uribe can start at SS, we should have a lot of money to resign Magglio, and still go out and get a decent FA.

We already had one with Gload. You could have also gotten a David Ortiz, Brad Fullmer for half of Paul this year.

pjthesox13
04-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Jose's hitting those come in handy but my only worry is how much longer is it going to be there from him. I think we should move him next year. Konerko was my second choice on this list as well. Salary seems a little too high for the package we get.

mweflen
04-27-2004, 03:46 PM
The problem with Konerko's deal, if memory serves, is that it was a mid-year thing done right after his huge first half in 2001.

correct me if i'm wrong, though.

it seems the basic assumption was that he'd be good for .300, 15 HR and 60 RBI every half-year.

mweflen
04-28-2004, 12:27 AM
actually, it's too bad the poll options don't allow 25 men... because at his $300-something-K, Willie Harris just might be the most overpaid player on the team.

I just got back from freezing my butt off again, and man, he showed me NOTHING. He had a double, sure, but he's a CHUMP.

Uribe runs and hits rings around Wee Willie.

owensmouth
04-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Get rid of the top ten and start anew.

Railsplitter
04-28-2004, 08:13 AM
For one A-Rod, you could get three Konerkos.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Right now in the 1st month of the season it's definitely Maggs.
His production is simply not at a level of Vlad, Beltran, Manny, or any of the other big bats in the AL. And if you consider that the NYY's are already thinking of shipping Giambi/Williams for pitching then definitely the value of the 300,30,100 guy is slumping.

Surprisingly Koney's 1st month is about equal to what he's being paid.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
For one A-Rod, you could get three Konerkos.

I'd still take A-Rod.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 12:25 PM
If you really think about it, our payroll SHOULD have some more money to play with...let's figure it out-

Maggs should be making about 2 million less (-2)
Konerko should be making about 2 million less (-2)
Koch should be making about 3 million less (-3)
Valentin should be making about 1.5 million less (-1.5)
Takatsu shouldn't be making anything (-.750)

Add that up-
That is 9.25 million, wasted.

Sure, we would have to get players to fill in for the guys above, and Thomas and Loiaza are bargains, but we still are wasting about 6-7 million.

Definitely enough to get a good closer and a middle reliever.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I'd still take A-Rod.

Depends on the ball park. He sucks in pitchers parks or parks with long left & center fields. He'd be great in Boston, but he's just average in Yankee stadium.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
Depends on the ball park. He sucks in pitchers parks or parks with long left & center fields. He'd be great in Boston, but he's just average in Yankee stadium.

I wouldn't say he is average...just yet.

I think you are selling probably the best all-around baseball player in the past 10 (?) years a little short.