PDA

View Full Version : What an excellent article by Rozner


habibharu
04-27-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38104166. he talks about how the sox should have done a national search for a marketing director, not just get someone in the family. i completely agree. they had a chance to make a very big move and blew it.

poorme
04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
That's crazy...doesn't Rozner know that Boyer was responsible for the great Bulls' attendance figures?

Kilroy
04-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38104166. he talks about how the sox should have done a national search for a marketing director, not just get someone in the family. i completely agree. they had a chance to make a very big move and blew it.

How do you know they blew it? Its not blown until the guy fails to get the job done, don't you think? He says the Sox should have made a big splash with the hiring. Maybe its just me, but I couldn't picture this:

Easily swayed moron: Let's get some White Sox tickets!
Moron friend of easily swayed moron: White Sox tickets?
Easily swayed moron: Yeah! Didn't you hear who they hired as director of marketing?
Moron friend of easily swayed moron: No ****!


As far as I'm concerened, Rozner is just making up more negative press for the Sox, and they've got you believing the Sox screwed up...

habibharu
04-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
How do you know they blew it? Its not blown until the guy fails to get the job done, don't you think? He says the Sox should have made a big splash with the hiring. Maybe its just me, but I couldn't picture this:



As far as I'm concerened, Rozner is just making up more negative press for the Sox, and they've got you believing the Sox screwed up... no i gotta disagree with you man. Rozner is probably the only columnist in town who supports the sox. he is very unbiased. he is just saying that the sox shouldnt always go within the family, which is what they did with baines and i was pisssed about that too. youre right, the guy hasnt blown anything yet, but im just saying that we would have a better opportunity to succeed with a well-known, experienced guy from the national ranks

joecrede
04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
[BAs far as I'm concerened, Rozner is just making up more negative press for the Sox, and they've got you believing the Sox screwed up... [/B]

Exactly.

Who knows if this is a good move or not. All too often Rozner uses his column to stroke his buddies (Maddux & McDonough to name two.)

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Say the Sox brought in Veck's son. That would create a major buzz which could translate into ticket sales. The Sox failed to create any buzz here.

thecell
04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Say the Sox brought in Veck's son. That would create a major buzz which could translate into ticket sales. The Sox failed to create any buzz here.

How long would that buzz last? A few games? Hopefully this new guy will create an even bigger buzz for the right reasons. I say give the man a chance.

hold2dibber
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
How do you know they blew it? Its not blown until the guy fails to get the job done, don't you think? He says the Sox should have made a big splash with the hiring.

I totally disagree. While it is true that the Sox may have found the right guy, the point is that the Sox didn't really over turn every stone to make sure they found the right guy. From any realistic person's perspective, marketing the Sox and increasing the season ticket base in the current environment is a very, very difficult task. When faced with such a tough task, doesn't it make sense to really throw out a broad net, to really think outside the box and to make sure you leave no avenue untested before you make a decision? It sure doesn't seem like the Sox did that. I don't know if this guy is the right guy - but when you have such a huge and difficult job, you need to search high and low to make absolutely certain you got the right guy; the Sox didn't search high and low, they just took the guy down the hall.


As far as I'm concerened, Rozner is just making up more negative press for the Sox, and they've got you believing the Sox screwed up...

C'mon - I am in total agreement that the media is often biased against and unfair to the Sox, but you can't just say that any negative press is unfair or not merited. Face facts - the Sox screw up all the time, and just because the media reports it that doesn't make it a vendetta. The article is balanced and reasoned and entirely unbiased, IMHO. Rozner didn't "make it up" - he makes an entirely reasonable and legitimate point.

Kilroy
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I totally disagree. While it is true that the Sox may have found the right guy, the point is that the Sox didn't really over turn every stone to make sure they found the right guy. From any realistic person's perspective, marketing the Sox and increasing the season ticket base in the current environment is a very, very difficult task. When faced with such a tough task, doesn't it make sense to really throw out a broad net, to really think outside the box and to make sure you leave no avenue untested before you make a decision? It sure doesn't seem like the Sox did that. I don't know if this guy is the right guy - but when you have such a huge and difficult job, you need to search high and low to make absolutely certain you got the right guy; the Sox didn't search high and low, they just took the guy down the hall.

But the thing is, we know just as much about the guy they hired's pedigree as we would some other person from parts unknown. This person could have been sitting in wait for a job like this for years for all we know. The only thing we know about the guy is that he was already in JR's organization, and people are characterizing it as a mis-hire because of that alone. Pretty stupid, IMO. And you know, just as well as I know, that the only thing that will put fannies in the seats and increase season ticket base is wins on the field.




Originally posted by hold2dibber
C'mon - I am in total agreement that the media is often biased against and unfair to the Sox, but you can't just say that any negative press is unfair or not merited. Face facts - the Sox screw up all the time, and just because the media reports it that doesn't make it a vendetta. The article is balanced and reasoned and entirely unbiased, IMHO. Rozner didn't "make it up" - he makes an entirely reasonable and legitimate point.

It is not an entirely reasonable and legitimate point. When was the last time you heard someone say they loved some team because they had the best marketing guy in the biz? In fact, I challenge you to name another team who's marketing guy leaving would be reported as news.

And for the record, I agree, that I, nor anyone else should say that any negative press is unfair or not warranted. But I do think that the media says the Sox screw up more than they actually do. Case in point, the media let KW have it pretty good for the moves of acquiring Uribe and Politte. But they've been pretty damn good so far for us. Have they given KW credit? If those two maintain their play all season, do you think they will?

faneidde
04-27-2004, 04:14 PM
If Jay Mariotti wrote this article there would be 100 replies to this thread and 50 more people emailing him about what a tool he is. I don't agree with this article at all. Maybe he wasn't the world's greatest hire, but he deserves a chance.

hold2dibber
04-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
But the thing is, we know just as much about the guy they hired's pedigree as we would some other person from parts unknown. This person could have been sitting in wait for a job like this for years for all we know. The only thing we know about the guy is that he was already in JR's organization, and people are characterizing it as a mis-hire because of that alone. Pretty stupid, IMO. And you know, just as well as I know, that the only thing that will put fannies in the seats and increase season ticket base is wins on the field.


I agree that it's unfair to characterize it as a mis-hire at this point. But I do think it is fair to say that for all appearances, the Sox took the easiest route instead of the bolder route of scouring the country side for someone who would shake up the culture and approach that the Sox take. In the current environment, the Sox needed to do something bold and forward thinking to try to shake things up. They surely did not do that. And while I agree that winning is the best and most sure fire way of getting people back to the park, I was (am) hoping that the Sox find a marketing person who can find other ways. Otherwise, what's the point?


It is not an entirely reasonable and legitimate point. When was the last time you heard someone say they loved some team because they had the best marketing guy in the biz? In fact, I challenge you to name another team who's marketing guy leaving would be reported as news.

I'm not sure where this came from. I certainly did not suggest, nor do I think Rozner suggested, that the mere name or identity of the person holding the marketing job would get people out to the park; the point is to find someone who can shake up the culture and the mind set and the approach that the Sox take. I don't care what his (or her) name is. But the Sox clearly need someone who can do something bold and different - because (short of winning and winning big) that's what it is going to take to increase the season ticket sales. By hiring someone inside the JR family, it certainly appears that they did not hire such a person - it appears that they just took someone loyal and comfortable and convenient. That's the point and it is a good one.

And for the record, I agree, that I, nor anyone else should say that any negative press is unfair or not warranted. But I do think that the media says the Sox screw up more than they actually do. Case in point, the media let KW have it pretty good for the moves of acquiring Uribe and Politte. But they've been pretty damn good so far for us. Have they given KW credit? If those two maintain their play all season, do you think they will?

I agree - but I often see Sox fans on this site and elsewhere blasting the media for negative coverage that is warranted. Don't let the fact that the media is unfair to the Sox make you discredit or ignore or lambast media criticism that is warranted, because media criticism that is warranted may pressure the Sox to change things that need changing.

hold2dibber
04-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
If Jay Mariotti wrote this article there would be 100 replies to this thread and 50 more people emailing him about what a tool he is. I don't agree with this article at all. Maybe he wasn't the world's greatest hire, but he deserves a chance.

You're totally missing the point.

Kilroy
04-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm not sure where this came from. I certainly did not suggest, nor do I think Rozner suggested, that the mere name or identity of the person holding the marketing job would get people out to the park; the point is to find someone who can shake up the culture and the mind set and the approach that the Sox take. I don't care what his (or her) name is. But the Sox clearly need someone who can do something bold and different.

It came from your saying that Rozner's assertion was reasonable. He says that with this hire, the Sox missed out on a chance to do something that would excite fans.

Rather than simply replace him, they could have taken their time, done a national search and come up with a gigantic name as their new president, who then could have brought in another big name for the marketing job. Instead, on Monday they merely hired a new marketing director, naming 10-year Bulls employee Brooks Boyer.

Broken down to its simplest terms, he's saying that the White Sox got it wrong - again. My point is simply that no other team in the majors would get coverage on a front office personell change like this. WERE TALKING ABOUT A FRICKIN' MARKETING GUY! That it was covered in more than a single sentence is ridiculous. Yet and still, the Chicago media has many Sox fans boo-hooing because we've got the wrong marketing guy.