PDA

View Full Version : New Pepsi commercial does SOX fans some Justice

Hangar18
04-27-2004, 01:11 PM
In it, a rather obese looking Sammy Sosa is ordering a Taco of some sort and starts to pig out. Sammy looks at some guy next to him, and when the Guy walks away, he turns back toward Sammy, Smirks at him, and puts on his SOX HAT. funny.

soltrain21
04-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Yeah I seen that commercial like 8 times yesterday during the Cubs game. It is really funny.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2004, 01:28 PM
The spot started during the Red Sox / Yankee game on Fox. I know a number of folks talked about it in the parking lot.

Lip

hold2dibber
04-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
In it, a rather obese looking Sammy Sosa is ordering a Taco of some sort and starts to pig out. Sammy looks at some guy next to him, and when the Guy walks away, he turns back toward Sammy, Smirks at him, and puts on his SOX HAT. funny.

I don't get it - Sosa sits next to a Sox fan in a restaurant. What's so funny about that? And what does it have to do with Pepsi?

sas1974
04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
And what does it have to do with Pepsi?

Probably just as much as Britney Spears or Beyonce running around in sexy outfits and singing does.

steff
04-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Henry messed up the details.

The guy buys or gives Sosa a taco filled with hot peppers.. he needs a drink.. the guy has a Pepsi and IIRC tosses it. Sosa runs to catch it.. drinks it.. and looks at the guy who smiles then puts the Sox cap on.

SpringfldFan
04-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Question: Why did Sammy even agree to even do it?

Hangar18
04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by steff

The guy buys or gives Sosa a taco filled with hot peppers.. he needs a drink.. the guy has a Pepsi and IIRC tosses it. Sosa runs to catch it.. drinks it.. and looks at the guy who smiles then puts the Sox cap on.

The Version I saw......the SOX FAN tosses Shammy the Pepsi,
but he loses it in the lights and hits Shammy in the head. Thats what was funny :smile:

DrummerGeorgefan
04-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Sox fan didnt throw it far enough

sas1974
04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Question: Why did Sammy even agree to even do it?

$$$$

Why else?

cheeses_h_rice
04-27-2004, 01:46 PM

I've only seen it once, but I thought the point of it was that Sham-ME* thinks the guy stole his hat from his back pocket, and then the kid reveals it's a Sox hat, and they both smile.

:?: :?: :?:

steff
04-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I've only seen it once, but I thought the point of it was that Sham-ME* thinks the guy stole his hat from his back pocket, and then the kid reveals it's a Sox hat, and they both smile.

:?: :?: :?:

I'm pretty sure it's point is Pepsi quenching his thirst...

Mickster
04-27-2004, 01:54 PM

That is what I got from the commercial.....

Bobby Thigpen
04-27-2004, 01:58 PM

Maybe that's why Sammy has added that extra bulk since leaving the Sox. It wasn't the Flinstones vitamins, it was the Pepsi!!

Brian26
04-27-2004, 02:01 PM
LOL, it's funny how everybody has a different take on this commercial.

I think the commercial is fantastic, though. It pokes lighthearted fun at the Cubs/Sox rivalry. I don't think it paints either team in a bad light.

I saw the first few seconds of the commercial out of the corner of my eye before I realized it was on, but I thought that the young guy put extra hot sauce on Sammy's taco when Sammy wasn't looking. Sammy took a bite, burned his mouth, then the kid tossed him a Pepsi. The kid then took a Sox hat out of his back pocket, put it on, and gave Sammy the kiss-I love you-kiss-I love you sign, sort of mockin' him, but sort of doing it in a good-natured way.

And of course the point is that Pepsi quenches his thirst.

It's a great spot though. Is this commercial running across the country or only in Chicago?

eriqjaffe
04-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Sammy is one of Pepsi's national spokesmen, so I'm pretty sure the commercial is a national one.

Baby Fisk
04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Did you people even watch the same commercial?!

The one I saw went like this: Frank Thomas walks up to a taco stand and orders some churros. The dope behind the taco stand is Jay Mariotti, who puts on a sneaky looking face and sticks some hot peppers in the churros. Frank eats one and has to scramble for a Pepsi. Mariotti taunts him with one. He says: "Well, Big Hurt, I'd love to help you quench your thirst, but I gotta column to write about how much you and your team and your stadium and your neighbourhood and your owner and your TV announcer all SUCK!" Then he gives this stupid, pig-like evil laugh. Frank loses it! He smashes through the counter and pummels Mariotti like a sack of beans. Cut to a shot of Mariotti lying on the floor of the taco stand, bloodied and twitching. Frank towers over him. He takes a huge swig of Pepsi, then looks down and barks: "WHAT'S MY NAME?! WHAT'S MY NAME?!" Then he hurls the empty Pepsi bottle down at Mariotti's face. And scene. Cue Pepsi logo.

It's the best damn commercial I've ever seen. Or hallucinated.

soxwon
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
my wife was telling me about a comercial, where a couple guys break into a home through a window, they start looking around, collecting things, they see a sox autographed baseball or something, realise its a SOX FANS HOME, and they put everything away, leaving a note saying SORRY ABOUT THE WINDOW.
has anyone else seen it?

A.T. Money
04-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
my wife was telling me about a comercial, where a couple guys break into a home through a window, they start looking around, collecting things, they see a sox autographed baseball or something, realise its a SOX FANS HOME, and they put everything away, leaving a note saying SORRY ABOUT THE WINDOW.
has anyone else seen it?

That is a Fox Sports Net commercial that every team has. I saw a Dodgers and D-backs one too.

Unregistered
04-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
That is a Fox Sports Net commercial that every team has. I saw a Dodgers and D-backs one too. I saw the D-Rays version of it this weekend... what a joke.

"SORRY ABOUT THE WINDOW - GO RAYS!"

..rrrrrright...

steff
04-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
has anyone else seen it?

They spot the early 90's bobblehead.

Personally.. I think that's a stupid commercial.

Randar68
04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
Sammy is one of Pepsi's national spokesmen, so I'm pretty sure the commercial is a national one.

Seriously, people must have the worst memories or REALLY short attention spans...

- Sammy walks up to Taco stand
- Guy eating there walks up and says, "hey, you're Sammy Sosa!"
- guy calls into the taco stand, "hey, get my buddy Sammy Sosa here an order of those special tacos" or something like that
- Sammy smiles, with that, "aaaa, I de man o de peeeple" look on his face
- Sammy bites in and get's that "HOLY **** that's hot" look on his face
- The kid (probably about 17-20 years old) starts walking away as Sammy orders and starts downing a Pepsi from behind the counter
- Sammy turns to him as if to say, "***???"
- Kid pulls out a Sox hat from his back pocket and pulls it onto his head before giving Sammy one of those two-finger-kiss-chest-bumps Sammy gives the camera after HR's
- Sammy laughs.

Great commercial, especially if someone could only remember how it went, LOL!

pearso66
04-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I personally like the Frank Thomas one, "Whats my name!"

JGarlandrules20
04-27-2004, 06:17 PM
I made a post about it a few weeks ago..
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=360953#post360953

Originally posted by Randar68
- Sammy bites in and get's that "HOLY **** that's hot" look on his face

He like fanned at his mouth with no expression whatsoever. His acting sucks.