PDA

View Full Version : Cubune interviews folks about how to market the Sox

cheeses_h_rice
04-27-2004, 10:23 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-040427sox-story,1,4141410.story?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl

There's a lot of really dumb stuff in here, but also a lot of what's been discussed here to death.

Mickster
04-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Do they mention green seats? :D:

jabrch
04-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Kelly Leonard, producer, Second City: "The Sox have an uphill battle -- in a city that has a legendary team with a legendary ballpark that is easily accessible and smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood with bars, theaters and restaurants, the White Sox will always come up short. So, the only solution is to be the anti-Cubs. They need to tap into that South Side pride and Cub hatred -- it's cool to be the bad boy, so be the bad boy. Lose the actual fighting, but keep the edge. Hook up with Suge Knight's marketing people; play underground indie hip-hop at the games instead of organ music; advertise in The Source. I don't think you go as far as to have Frank Thomas get his belly button pierced, but you redefine the White Sox experience as always being in sync with or ahead of the trend."

That is easily the dumbest idea I have ever heard. This person obviously has no understanding of baseball, history, the Sox, our fanbase, or anything. If they started piping in HIP HOP, how many of us would go off the wall bananas?

Kadafi311
04-27-2004, 10:48 AM
The Sox have an uphill battle -- in a city that has a legendary team with a legendary ballpark that is easily accessible and smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood with bars, theaters and restaurants, the White Sox will always come up short.

On deck, Ozzie will be outlining the trials and tribulations one goes through to produce snappy dialogue and cagey stage performances.

CubKilla
04-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
That is easily the dumbest idea I have ever heard. This person obviously has no understanding of baseball, history, the Sox, our fanbase, or anything. If they started piping in HIP HOP, how many of us would go off the wall bananas?

I actually liked the "easily accessible" part about Wrigley Field.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-27-2004, 11:15 AM
the dan mcneil suggestion was a good one

thepaulbowski
04-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Isn't odd that none of them mention winning?! :?:

Baby Fisk
04-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Mike Veeck's got it right: stop whining about the Cubs and declare war on them. And be everything they are not, ie. winners.

chisoxmike
04-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Even from a Cubs fan... this is pretty stupid
"My recommendation for marketing is that they dust off their plan to move to St. Petersburg. Their fan base has all gone out to the suburbs. They've got to get a new fan base. So move to St. Petersburg. Too bad, goodbye! Then the Cubs won't have to lose the city series every year. Or the Sox could play at Wrigley Field. That might work."

He hits it on the head with this one...
"I'm not sure it's the team that attracts people to Wrigley Field. Or maybe Tribune Co. could buy the team. The Tribune owns everything anyway. They could have two baseball teams. I don't think that's against any law."

Wow, these people are really stupid, leave it to the Cub-une to have such a low-blow article such as this one. The Sun-Times today had a similar article without dumbasses commenting on how the Sox can draw attendance.

wdelaney72
04-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
Do they mention green seats? :D:

As a matter of fact, someone did.

jackbrohamer
04-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Bob Sirott, WTTW-TV Chicago Tonight host (and noted Cubs fan): "... I would convert some of this land to set up a permanent `Taste of the South Side' with food booths from some of the great restaurants..... That way people would come early, stay late and hang out -- just like they do in Wrigleyville."

Bob Sirott: Biggest. Geek. Ever.

soxnut
04-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Bob Sirott, WTTW-TV Chicago Tonight host (and noted Cubs fan): "... I would convert some of this land to set up a permanent `Taste of the South Side' with food booths from some of the great restaurants..... That way people would come early, stay late and hang out -- just like they do in Wrigleyville."

I thought he had some of the best ideas out of the entire article. He's right about the parking and people hanging around before and after games.

Of course winning solves everything. But that never seems to happen on a consistent basis. But what can happen on a consistent basis is entertainment value. There no way you're ever going to get 35,000-40,000 real baseball fans on a consistent basis unless winning is part of the equation. But come on, this team should be drawing at least 28,000 with a decent team on the field.

By having more to do around the area of the park, it will draw more casual fans(more $-more $ for keeping/aqiring players) by providing that entertainment value(see fireworks night).

But, it would have to be a little more elaborate than what Sirott has mentioned. And it would have to be integrated into the neighborhood so as not to be overbearing to the residents who live there 365 days a year.

They can always convert the land into commercial and residential development with parking garages. That would be a great happy medium I believe.

jackbrohamer
04-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I thought he had some of the best ideas out of the entire article.

His advice was basically to turn the area into something as close to Wrigley as possible. If people want to go to Wrigley they already have an option: go to Wrigley. Ditto for "Taste of Chicago."

SSN721
04-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Yeah relatively shallow suggestions that were really more just knocks on the team, very tasteless article I thought. Except for the fellow who was from the Latino organization, that is one market the Sox must tap, I have no idea why they dont put a lot of investment into marketing to the Latino community since that is the majority of the team. Broadcast in Spanish, put up Spanish billboards, anything to tap into this market I think.

CubKilla
04-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
put up Spanish billboards

No thanks

soxnut
04-27-2004, 12:26 PM
His advice was basically to turn the area into something as close to Wrigley as possible. If people want to go to Wrigley they already have an option: go to Wrigley. Ditto for "Taste of Chicago."

I agree with you in that I don't want exaclty what he says. But he was the closest thing on there to a good idea. You do need casual fans to come to the park as well, which is what I stated in my post with my ideas.

eriqjaffe
04-27-2004, 12:41 PM
There were a few parts that really struck me as good ideas:

Mike Veeck
So go after the families. Make that connection with the kids.
I couldn't agree more. If we can get families and kids to the park, those kids are more likely grow up Sox fans. It sure worked with me. My dad took me to Sox games all the time, even though we lived all the way out in Schaumburg.

Pepe Vargas
The Sox could do more cross-promotions with our organization and with other Latino cultural and social groups...
I lived in LA for 8 years, and the Dodgers, IMO, marketed themselves very well to the Latino community there. And the crowd at Dodger stadium was always VERY mixed. And you don't have to put up billboards in Spanish, but a Spanish-language broadcast team would be a great thing to have. Put 'em on the SAP channel on TV, like the Dodgers did/do with Jaime Jarrin. And a Spanish radio broadcast would be great, too. And, from a socio-economic standpoint, it would certainly be true to the Sox working-class roots.

Bob Sirott
Get known, self-proclaimed Cubs fans like me to extoll the virtues of going to Sox games.
I actually think this is a pretty good idea. Lord knows, there are plenty of fair-weather Cub fans out there, maybe convert some of 'em.

Larry Hartwig
They've got a nice stadium and plenty of parking where they are now -- better than the Cubs in that respect.
No idea here, I'm just amazed that the Trib let that statement get into print. :)

--Eriq.

Hangar18
04-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Yeah relatively shallow suggestions that were really more just knocks on the team, very tasteless article I thought. Except for the fellow who was from the Latino organization, that is one market the Sox must tap, I have no idea why they dont put a lot of investment into marketing to the Latino community since that is the majority of the team. Broadcast in Spanish, put up Spanish billboards, anything to tap into this market I think.

Ive said that for a long time now .............. I know they REMOVED the Spanish Language broadcasts a while back...........

SSN721
04-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
No thanks

Why not? I guess I dont see what the big deal would be with billboards. There are already hundreds of Spanish language billboards in this city, why not advertise the Sox in English and Spanish this way?

MarqSox
04-27-2004, 01:55 PM
And they will go to Wrigley. Problem is, turning away a potential fanbase (even if it isn't the ideal fanbase) does nothing to boost attendance.

You can say you'd rather have an empty park than have a full park with the touristy crowd, but that's awful shortsighted. If a touristy crowd enables the Sox to spend more on payroll, thus boosting our chance at that elusive championship ... well, wouldn't that be worth it?

alohafri
04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
My opinion of the article is that it is yet another thinly-veiled attempt to put down the Sox and that anyone who takes any of it seriously is missing the point. Read between the lines!

My first clue was the fact that so many "die-hard" scrub fans were interviewed. I honestly thought the article was going to be a real attempt by the Cubune to get to the heart of the matter, not some additional mockery of all things Sox.

I believe that the #1 reason why the Sox don't draw is because of the Chicago media and if that article was even half attempting to be truthful, they would have conceded that the media in this town is biased against the Sox, the fans and our park.

I didn't find the article the least bit humorous--even Steve Dahl's stupid comment.

---Mrs. Aloha

Fridaythe13thJason
04-27-2004, 01:57 PM

Not sure what makes him a geek. I think this is a terrific idea. It doesn't sound anything like Wrigley. It sounds like a street fair...it sounds awesome. You could tailgate without cooking, just chill in the parking lot with your cooler and buy some food from booths. It wouldn't take forever to get out of the parking lot, either.

Originally posted by CubKilla

No thanks

Please enlighten me with why...

jackbrohamer
04-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
Not sure what makes him a geek. I think this is a terrific idea. It doesn't sound anything like Wrigley. It sounds like a street fair...it sounds awesome.

Sirott disagrees with you; he says that fans would react: " just like they do in Wrigleyville. " And they tried the "street fair" a couple years ago with those stupid beer tents outside the park, which were always empty

daveeym
04-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Not sure what makes him a geek. I think this is a terrific idea. It doesn't sound anything like Wrigley. It sounds like a street fair...it sounds awesome. You could tailgate without cooking, just chill in the parking lot with your cooler and buy some food from booths. It wouldn't take forever to get out of the parking lot, either.

Please enlighten me with why...

I'm assuming he was against spanish billboards at the park, more so just because those billboards suck.

Sirott disagrees with you; he says that fans would react: " just like they do in Wrigleyville. " And they tried the "street fair" a couple years ago with those stupid beer tents outside the park, which were always empty

Along with the street fair they need a carnival with rides and games as well, better yet move up to gurnee and drop the stadium in the middle of Great America.

Realist
04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Ligue Night. :D:

MarqSox
04-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Ligue Night. :D:
If it means we get to "go Ligue" on the man himself, then all good.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-27-2004, 02:30 PM

I think I read differently than you do. Just because they would "React...like...wrigleyville" doesn't make it wrigleyville. There are lots of places where people act like wrigleyville...if you mean staying around the area, going out for a few drinks, having some fun. I don't think those things only happen around Wrigley Field. I can darn well guarantee you they are happening at PetCo Park.

Hangar18
04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
other thing I noticed about this article ............
the name MIKE VEECK continued to come up all thru the piece,
which was leading me to believe they were somehow endorsing him to be the next Marketing Guru, given the name-association with the White Sox. Look for Gallas however to be with the cubs soon. What irony it would be if Veeck were hired 8 miles north .............

eriqjaffe
04-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I can darn well guarantee you they are happening at PetCo Park.

I wouldn't take that bet:

The Ballpark and Redevelopment Project will create a vibrant community where people of all ages will live, work and play. "The Ballpark District," is a 26-block neighborhood that is proposed to feature world-class hotels, state-of-the-art office space, destination retail, innovative housing units and the World's Best Ballpark, all within walking distance from the world-renowned San Diego Convention Center and the popular Gaslamp Quarter.

Link to full article (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sd/ballpark/sdballpark_ballpark_district.jsp).

It's more or less expected that new parks, these days, are meant as a centerpiece for neighborhood revitalization. Coors Field has really brought downtown Denver back, same goes for Camden Yards and Jacobs Field.

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it doesn't have to be Wrigleyville South. It can have its own character. Instead of going the "neighborhood watering hole" route, the neighborhood around the Cell can go for a more family-friendly "entertainment destination" feel - movie theaters, big chain family restaurants, destination places along the lines of a Dave & Busters or ESPNZone. Maybe even some sort of outdoor pedestrian (read: no cars allowed) mall for a block or two...although that may not be viable, climate-wise. Incorporate the Cell into the neighborhood more. A Sox souvenir shop or museum accessible year-round from the street.

Heck, JR should love an idea like this, because if it's popular enough, HE OWNS ALL THE PARKING LOTS! Maybe he can charge less for parking on non-game days, but still clean up.

:reinsy
"Make more money during the winter? Where do I sign up?"