PDA

View Full Version : New Sun-Times about Sox' popularity...

hsnterprize
04-27-2004, 07:46 AM
At first, I thought this was going to be another one of those, "Why aren't Sox fans going to the Cell" type of articles. However, I'm glad to say I was mostly wrong. There are 2 articles in today's Sun-Times about Sox attendance and popularity...however, one of them talks about a "poll" that looks stacked against the Sox already. I'll explain...

According to Sun Times media and marketing writer Lewis Lazarre, a publisher of a hotel-based magazine, "Concierge Preferred" will try to settle the debate as to which Chicago baseball team is more popular. So, in the summer, this magazine will have 2 separate covers on them, similar to how TV Guide has multiple covers when a big event is coming up. One one cover, it's Sammy Sosa...on the other cover, Esteban Loaiza. Now, on it's face, that's not bad. However, trying to compare team popularity by putting an internationally-known star on one cover against a guy whose name we had a hard time pronouncing early last season is a stacked deck. Granted, Loaiza won 21 games last year, but there's no question who's more popular between the 2. And I'm afraid that comparison will ultimately reflect on this guy as to say, "You see...I told you the Cubs are more popular. Nyah, nyah, nyah!!!!!"

So...I wrote the author if this piece, and asked him if there was a way I could write the editors and publisher of this magazine. I couldn't find it online. Here's what I said...

Good morning, Mr. Lazarre,

I read your columns this morning about how the White Sox can appeal more to the masses in light of all the "media bias" controversy that's been going on lately. As a reporter, I'm pledged to cover both the Cubs and White Sox equally. However, as a White Sox fan, I'm prone to feel like Ozzie and many other Sox fans in stating that sans the Cubs' recent success, there is more of a leaning towards the Cubs than the White Sox as far as positive press is concerned. In my and other Sox fans' opinion, if the concept of covering a team was based on wins and losses alone, that's one thing. But as saw stated in one of your articles this morning, the fascination with people following a losing team like the Cubs as strongly as they do leaves a lot to the imagination. I'm sure you've heard this before, but if there's one huge difference between Cubs and Sox fans, it's that we'll fill our ballpark when our team puts up a winning effort on the field, while Cubs fans seem to fill their ballpark BECAUSE of the field. I'll elaborate on that premise more at a later time.

Meanwhile, I'm writing you to ask if there's any way I can contact the publishers of "Concierge Preferred" magazine in regards to the "popularity" debate they intend on "settling" by having a Sox and Cubs player on their covers, and surveying how many covers of each player are taken. On the surface, that sounds very fair, but there's a problem here. Sammy Sosa is representing the Cubs side, while Esteban Loaiza wears the Sox colors. Question...why Esteban Loaiza? Considering Sosa is more popular worldwide, I have a feeling his covers are going to fly compared to Loaiza's. Why couldn't the publisher of this magazine put a picture of say, Frank Thomas, or Magglio Ordonez on the cover? Sosa's popularity with the masses in light of this informal "survey" is like asking who's more popular, Michael Jordan, or some benchwarmer for another team? I don't think the survey's fair...the publisher isn't allowing the more popular Sox player represent this "poll."

This e-mail isn't against you...and I apologize if it appears that way. I appreciate you writing about this "poll", and your subsequent piece on how the Sox can get more popular in light of their new marketing director. If I may, please allow me to direct you to a website we White Sox fans often frequent that has often tackeld the issue of low Sox attendance and marketing the team. Here's a link to that site...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com

I can tell you that Sox fan's answer to the "lack of attendance" and "marketing" issue can be summed up into one word...WIN. Like I said earlier, Sox fans are more concerned with cheering for a winning team rather than the ballpark they play in. Of course, many of us love the renovations made to U.S. Cellular Field over the years. We want our ballpark to finally get the respect it deserves after years of ridicule over it's lack of "classic intimacy and design", it's massive upper-deck that has since been trimmed, and the stereotypical assumptions about the surrounding neighborhoods. We're looking forward to the day when people will STOP comparing the "Cell" to Wrigley Field, and let the Sox and their fans celebrate the identity they have instead of trying to make the Sox the south side version of the Cubs. But no marketing gimmicks will draw more fans in if the management doesn't make the effort to make the White Sox a winning team. Unlike Cubs fans, we Sox fans DO NOT glorify losing. I'm sure there are Cubs fans who hate it when their team loses a game, but even the most die-hard Cubs fans agree with us the majority of people who go to Wrigley Field and pass themselves off as fans really don't know diddly about baseball, but are there to have a good time at 'beautiful Wrigley Field."

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to get a response from you soon. Keep this in mind...we Sox fans admit there is a MAJOR need for changes at the TOP of our organization. There's a 2-word answer as to why many people won't go to U.S. Cellular Field, and that answer is "Jerry" and "Reinsdorf". His comments about how Chicago has "always been a Cubs town", his running Haray Caray out of the organization in the early-80's only to have the Cubs snag him up, his political arm-twisting rush to have new Comiskey Park built, his comments in 1997 about how it would be "crazy" for anyone to think the Sox would compete with the Cleveland Indians for the A.L. Central Division title...thus leading to the infamous "White Flag Trade", his perceived involvement in the 1994 strike that destroyed not only the season, but his team's chances to win a pennant (remember, the Sox were predicted to win the World Series that year, and they were in 1st place at the time of the strike), and other public relations gaffs have left a lasting bad taste in the mouths of Sox fans. The day he either resigns or sells the team will be a day of celebration for Sox fans, and that will guarantee larger attendance at the Cell...unless a Reinsdorf-like clone takes over the team.

Keep up the good work, and even if you're a Cubs fan, don't hesitate to check out the White Sox. They're not as bad as you think...in fact, they're a lot better.

The other article to mention is another Lazarre piece about how the new marketing director should "sell the Sox." Here's a link to the article... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-lew27.html)

Read it, and judge for yourself. Personally, I think it's positive that at least the Sox aren't being bashed, or we aren't being called "whiny" for complaining about Cubbie bias in the press.

Jerko
04-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Sorry, but i can't take the writings of a man seriously who says that Sammy Sosa and Kerry Wood "ooze charm".

Railsplitter
04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
This is stacked against us. I'm sure Maggs is well known among baseball fans, but even he isn't as popular (if I can use that word) nation wide.

SoxFan78
04-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Sorry, but i can't take the writings of a man seriously who says that Sammy Sosa and Kerry Wood "ooze charm".

Kerry Wood oozing charm?? Is that before or after he charged the umpire after being taking out of the game?

SSN721
04-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
Kerry Wood oozing charm?? Is that before or after he charged the umpire after being taking out of the game?

While I definitely dont see the charm oozing from Sosa, I have to say that Kerry is quite affable and fun in his interviews. I find him to be quite funny and amusing on any interview that I have heard him do. That is one think that is missing from the Sox, sadly one of the funier guys is Koch when I have heard him do interviews, not many other players on our team are vocal at all and that is a problem.

Mickster
04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
While I definitely dont see the charm oozing from Sosa, I have to say that Kerry is quite affable and fun in his interviews. I find him to be quite funny and amusing on any interview that I have heard him do. That is one think that is missing from the Sox, sadly one of the funier guys is Koch when I have heard him do interviews, not many other players on our team are vocal at all and that is a problem.

Unfortunately, Koch has been doing his best stand-up routine from the mound rather than in front of a microphone lately. :D: