PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on red line parking?


hose
04-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Is there any reasonable place to park north of the Cell and then hop on the red line to 35th?

maurice
04-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by hose
Is there any reasonable place to park north of the Cell and then hop on the red line to 35th?

Your best bet is to take other public transportation (Metra, el, or bus) and then transfer to the Red Line or Green Line. (See the "Sox Fans on Metra" thread.)

If you insist on driving all the way to the Red Line, there's a pay lot next to the Chinatown Red Line stop, but I'm not sure it would save you any time or money. All other stops north of the park are either downtown or in north-side neighborhoods where parking normally is at a premium.

BeerHandle
04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by hose
Is there any reasonable place to park north of the Cell and then hop on the red line to 35th?

My recommendation is to park at the bar, First Base at Nornal and 32nd. You can park on the neighborhood street, go buy a drink and then ask for a neighborhod parking sticker. They give you the sticker for free. Then you walk to the park, which is only about three blocks. This is one of the greatest neighborhood secrets.

The bar is located on www.metromix.com

First Base
3210 S. Normal Ave.
312-791-1239

The neon sign above the bar reads, "You Can't Go Home Until You Stop at First Base." With its friendly staff, variety of diversions and comprehensive refreshment list, First Base makes that stop easy. The site of many pool and dart leagues, First Base can host some hot competition. Neighborhood crooners can even test their pipes every Thursday night in a karaoke contest. Saturday night offers a deejay who spins plenty of high-energy cuts to keep the crowd moving. First Base is a large, airy bar with plenty of seating in the high-ceilinged front room. The bar accommodates about 20, with more tables throughout, seating large, laughing groups of friends and fans. The back room holds the pool and darting areas. First Base's elegant back bar and black-and-white checkered floor are likely original appointments, kept from the building's turn-of-the-century construction.

chisoxmike
04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Try the 7th steet garage (Balbo & Wabash) yes I know, its downtown in the south loop. I park there sometimes. Parking is $7.75 and I get on the el at the harrison red line stop. The red line is on state street, (behind the garage.)

npdempse
04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
My recommendation is to park at the bar, First Base at Nornal and 32nd. You can park on the neighborhood street, go buy a drink and then ask for a neighborhod parking sticker. They give you the sticker for free. Then you walk to the park, which is only about three blocks. This is one of the greatest neighborhood secrets.



Do other places (Jimbos, Punchinello's, ??) do this?
Are they really forthcoming with the stickers if you just grab one beer and leave for the game?

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
If you are willing to ride for a while and walk a couple of blocks, you can normally find parking around the North and Halstead stop. After that, you have to go pretty far north, like Granville or Thorndale (my old neighborhood), but the train trip only takes about 1/2 hour from there.

ode to veeck
04-26-2004, 09:03 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, that's called the Clyborn stop, at least it was 20 years ago when I used to use it. To find street parking you probably want to look north along Halsted or side streets, as the Yuppies have taken over everything north and west of the North/Clyborn/Halsted intersection.

Unfortunately, you can no longer stop for a great dinner afterwards at the Golden Ox (across the street from the Clyborn station), which had been one of the last remants of the old german town area in west old town, as it closed down a few years back after ~80 years of being in business.

On the other hand, you are about two blocks from the Goose Island Brewery when you get off at Clyborn.

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
If my memory serves me correctly, that's called the Clyborn stop, at least it was 20 years ago when I used to use it. To find street parking you probably want to look north along Halsted or side streets, as the Yuppies have taken over everything north and west of the North/Clyborn/Halsted intersection.

Unfortunately, you can no longer stop for a great dinner afterwards at the Golden Ox (across the street from the Clyborn station), which had been one of the last remants of the old german town area in west old town, as it closed down a few years back after ~80 years of being in business.

On the other hand, you are about two blocks from the Goose Island Brewery when you get off at Clyborn.

All excellent points and indeed the stop is called North and Clybourn.

nut_stock
04-27-2004, 01:09 AM
You can park at the Halstead Stop on the Orange Line for like $1.25, tranfer to the red for free at Roosevelt, and ride to the cell.

I know I went to a Sox-Cubs game at Wrigley once and parked in a Garage that I'm pretty sure was next to a red line stop (I think on Howard St) and paid like 1.25. (That would be a lengthy train ride to the Cell though)

ewokpelts
04-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
You can park at the Halstead Stop on the Orange Line for like $1.25, tranfer to the red for free at Roosevelt, and ride to the cell.

I know I went to a Sox-Cubs game at Wrigley once and parked in a Garage that I'm pretty sure was next to a red line stop (I think on Howard St) and paid like 1.25. (That would be a lengthy train ride to the Cell though)

or take a halsted or wallace busfrom halsted/archer and walk a couple of blocks
Gene

TaylorStSox
04-27-2004, 02:41 AM
YYou can park outside of my place (public) for a small fee that I'd charge. :) Tax free.

Then, take the Roosevelt bus to the Red Line. :D:

Sad
04-27-2004, 08:40 AM
haven't been to First Base yet as I usually go straight to Jimbo's from Red Line stop... maybe I will tomorrow before day game as I'm gonna be at Roosevelt Rd South Shore stop at about 10:25 AM

does First Base serve food also?

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Do other places (Jimbos, Punchinello's, ??) do this?
Are they really forthcoming with the stickers if you just grab one beer and leave for the game?

First base has no problem giving out parking stickers. Grab one drink and go. Just remember to give the sticker back after the game.

BeerHandle
04-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Sad
haven't been to First Base yet as I usually go straight to Jimbo's from Red Line stop... maybe I will tomorrow before day game as I'm gonna be at Roosevelt Rd South Shore stop at about 10:25 AM

does First Base serve food also?

I'm not 100% sure if they serve food. I don't think they do. I know they have popcorn (if you consider it "real" food)

Dadawg_77
04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by hose
Is there any reasonable place to park north of the Cell and then hop on the red line to 35th?

Not sure what North by Northwest means, so assuming if it refers to Northwest area of the city or suburbs. Find the closest blue line stop. Burbs Cumberland has a nice parking garage, city you can find parking on the street around the El. Near West bubs and west side, Forest Park stop has parking. Take the blue line to Jackson or Washington, free transfer to red line.

jabrch
04-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Another option is to park for free in any of the millions of spots over by my place (Jackson and Racine) and take the Racine Blue Line into the Loop, free transfer to the redline.

thepaulbowski
04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I'm not 100% sure if they serve food. I don't think they do. I know they have popcorn (if you consider it "real" food)

You can bring food in or order food in (like Donnies, Phil's Pizza, etc.) if you like though. I've seen it done a quite a few times.