PDA

View Full Version : jim rome blasts sox

habibharu
04-26-2004, 04:06 PM
talking about how ozzie is stupid for asking for a "frank thomas watch" because nobody cares about the white sox. he compares them to the clippers in LA

thecell
04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Rome should relate because nobody really gives a **** what he has to say anyway.

DaveIsHere
04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I can't stand that guy, and his show is really lame and boring, his on going commentary that he and his callers use is really annoying, and he never has anything good going on in that show, you can listen to him in Sept, when he will sound like thet jackass that he is

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
jim rome is the biggest blowhard in all of sports media. Ever since he grew out that goatee he's been all "tough and crap." somebody should introduce his teeth to the business end of a 7 iron

BearSox
04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Who was it who punched Rome right in the face during a show? I think it ws an athlete named Chris because Rome kept calling him Chrissy which led to the attack.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
jim rome is a hack. he takes 10 second pauses every minute on air and he beats a dead horse for HOURS. I remember I listened to him one time last year while on vacation and he talked about how he wouldn't watch the MLB all star game ever again because Lance Carter was on the AL team for about 3 hours.

jackbrohamer
04-26-2004, 04:12 PM
I haven't listened to that clown for a second, ever since he kept calling Jim Everett "Chris," & Everett kicked his tail on television.

habibharu
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
Who was it who punched Rome right in the face during a show? I think it ws an athlete named Chris because Rome kept calling him Chrissy which led to the attack. jim everret. he made fun of him by callin him chris everett

MRKARNO
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Maybe his comparison to the Clippers would be fair if the Cubs actually had a winning past, consistantly made the postseason and had 3 World Series championships in a row ending just a year or two ago. The Mets compare to the Clippers, not the White Sox.

BeerHandle
04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
I can't stand this guy! He is a hack!

BearSox
04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
jim everret. he made fun of him by callin him chris everett

That makes sense then why Jim would punch him! The best thing about Jim Rome is that Frank Caliendo (even though hes a packer fan) does a hilarious impression of him.

sas1974
04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe his comparison to the Clippers would be fair if the Cubs actually had a winning past, consistantly made the postseason and had 3 World Series championships in a row ending just a year or two ago. The Mets compare to the Clippers, not the White Sox.

Well, that's not entirely fair to the Mets. They have been to a couple of world series in the last 20 years.

dllrbll7
04-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I haven't listened to that clown for a second, ever since he kept calling Jim Everett "Chris," & Everett kicked his tail on television.

Heres the video of it. Pretty funny
Rome Takes a Beating (http://www.ejbdotcom.net/?do=jim)

iwannago
04-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
jim rome is the biggest blowhard in all of sports media. Ever since he grew out that goatee he's been all "tough and crap." somebody should introduce his teeth to the business end of a 7 iron

I agree this guy is a real jerk, but for some reason people listen to him and he gets good ratings.

Hangar18
04-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Someone should Ask Jim Rome what came First ........
The Chicken or the Egg .............. Who keeps saying Dont Worry
about the Media? This is what happens when You Let the Media Go CUB-Wild, who went from Ignoring the SOX to now Blasting the SOX any chance they get. Total BS.

DaveIsHere
04-26-2004, 04:21 PM
That video is awesome, he looked scared

Dick Allen
04-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Heres the video of it. Pretty funny
Rome Takes a Beating (http://www.ejbdotcom.net/?do=jim) Great video, maybe we can all get in line and take a number.

iwannago
04-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Great video! Thanks for sharing.

Mohoney
04-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
Who was it who punched Rome right in the face during a show? I think it ws an athlete named Chris because Rome kept calling him Chrissy which led to the attack.

It was Rams QB Jim Everett. He kept calling him "Chrissy Everett" in reference to the tennis player.

jabrch
04-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Its a shame Everett was so restrained. He really should have kicked Rome's a$$. All he did was dump the table and push him down. It would have been nice to see a member of the media held responsible for his behaviour for a change.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Wow. Reading this thread, I'm absolutely dumbstruck how any of you think the Sox are entitled to positive publicity from the media.

We'll be administering last rites for whiny Sox Fans (and front office personnel) in the chapel under the stands at U.S. Cellular Field during the third inning of Tuesday night's game.

May eternal light shine upon your soul.

Hondo
04-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Jim Rome is a moron. This doesn't change my feelings toward him.
His stupid vernacular, the "jungle", his show format.
The only thing I like about Jim Rome is when TK used to make fun of him.
Phil Hendrie also does a great Jim Rome

RACK ME I'M OUT

depy48
04-26-2004, 04:36 PM
now thats a classy video, always good to see a terrified look on rome's face

BeerHandle
04-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Email that I sent to Rome............
Jim:

I heard that you were ripping on Ozzie for making comments about the Mark Prior Watch (have you heard of sarcasm?). You have to admit that it is a joke that the paper that owns the Flubs has a daily update on Mark "the messiah" Prior.

Also, I was informed that you compared the Sox to the LA Clippers. You better watch yourself or you will have thousands of the Sox faithful ready to Jim Everett you again!

BearSox
04-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Email that I sent to Rome............
Jim:

I heard that you were ripping on Ozzie for making comments about the Mark Prior Watch (have you heard of sarcasm?). You have to admit that it is a joke that the paper that owns the Flubs has a daily update on Mark "the messiah" Prior.

Also, I was informed that you compared the Sox to the LA Clippers. You better watch yourself or you will have thousands of the Sox faithful ready to Jim Everett you again!

I think you had a good e mail going till you ripped him in the end, that won't make him respect the Sox anymore plus he hears about the Everett thing everyday so that insult gets a little old unfortunately. But we do gotta stick up for us Sox fans and i give you props for that.

Huisj
04-26-2004, 05:04 PM
the last time the clippers finished .500 was 1993. they've only finished .500 6 times since they began in 1970. that's truly pathetic.

the white sox lifetime winning percentage is .505. i think there's obviously no comparison at all.

maurice
04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
I remember the Everret fiasco vividly. It's hard to take the opinion of a big-mouth sissy very seriously.

chisoxmike
04-26-2004, 05:09 PM
:whocares

BearSox
04-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
the last time the clippers finished .500 was 1993. they've only finished .500 6 times since they began in 1970. that's truly pathetic.

the white sox lifetime winning percentage is .505. i think there's obviously no comparison at all.

Don't forget that the Lakers own the Clippers in head to head record and we all know the White Sox own the Cubs during the regular season head to head and going back to the 06 World Series. Very bad comparison on Romes part indeed. I could see the Clippers comparison fit the Mets because the Yankess have the better head to head record including beating the Mets in the last world series between the two. It's reasons like having a better head to head record than the Cubs that fuel us to "whine" about better coverage and these media types don't do their homework and don't get it.

longshot7
04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
as a Clippers fan, I'm offended...

valposoxfan
04-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
as a Clippers fan, I'm offended...

A White Sox AND a Clips fan...you are the most self-loathing sports fan in history...may God have mercy on your soul. :D:

Soxfest
04-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Rome out to know about 2nd rate only reason he is on in Chicago is because his company purchased the air time, not because people wanted him.

joeynach
04-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
talking about how ozzie is stupid for asking for a "frank thomas watch" because nobody cares about the white sox. he compares them to the clippers in LA

I heard this on the radio as well and although i really like his show i sent an email to him basically ripping him. I said if he was in Chicago he would be a sox fan and not a cubs fan becuase he knows something about baseball. I said cubs fans are idiot drunken frat boys who pack into wrigley for the stadium atmosphere and not baseball. They have their back to the game and would lose any arugment about baseball or their team hands down. Proving to Jim that he is more closely related to a sox fan than cubs fan and he himself falls in our category instead of the loser cubs.

beckett21
04-26-2004, 07:14 PM
I am an admitted Rome apologist and have to say he rips the Cubs and their fans from time to time, so it's not all one-sided with him. He will rip anyone anytime. Generally I enjoy his show, can't really give a good explanation why; I just do.

That said, I didn't hear his comments today but I will not make any effort to defend him on this issue. Disappointing is all I can say. :(:

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Great, now the national media is jumping on the bandwagon. Well done Jerry et al. You have managed to now make the Sox the laughing stock of the whole country, not just Chicago...

No such thing as bad publicity? This would have to take a leap of several magnitudes before it will ever backfire and gain the Sox sympathy. Not going to happen.

Exactly HOW does this make the team, their product, their stadium or their managment team MORE appealing to casual fans.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that no one on this board likes the media comments and tends to support the team. No shock there. Of course all of us are spending money on the team, devoting hours to talking about the team and helping run websites that give the team FREE publicity and paying for it out of our own pockets.

Railsplitter
04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Rome is a joke. This guy seems to get off on dumping on people.

ode to veeck
04-26-2004, 07:46 PM
The only franchise in all of professional sports that could be compared to the Clippers are the Blackhawks and then only by their demise of the last few years, where they have fallen sooooooo far they are completely out of site (in a fanatical hockey town nonetheless).

I feel for someon who's a Clipper's fan, espencially anyone who has to put up with all the Faker fans if he's on the left coast, but then to add White Sox pennance on top of it ... ought to be grounds for automatic sainthood

Viva Magglio
04-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Someone should Ask Jim Rome what came First ........
The Chicken or the Egg .............. Who keeps saying Dont Worry
about the Media? This is what happens when You Let the Media Go CUB-Wild, who went from Ignoring the SOX to now Blasting the SOX any chance they get. Total BS.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reinsdorf is not blameless, but his shortcomings do not justify the media's biased treatment against us.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-26-2004, 10:04 PM
rome is a piece of ****! thats all there is too it. tune him out.

stillz
04-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I am an admitted Rome apologist and have to say he rips the Cubs and their fans from time to time, so it's not all one-sided with him. He will rip anyone anytime. Generally I enjoy his show, can't really give a good explanation why; I just do.

That said, I didn't hear his comments today but I will not make any effort to defend him on this issue. Disappointing is all I can say. :(:

He truly does spread the venom around, but comparing the sox to the clippers? That's retarded. Does anyone know how long he droned on about Ozzie, and what his overall knock on the sox was?

Kilroy
04-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Exactly HOW does this make the team, their product, their stadium or their managment team MORE appealing to casual fans.

You need not worry about this, Voodoo. The one and only thing that will attract the casual fan is the point in time when the Sox are "what's happening". When they are a playoff team, the casual fan will come. When they are a favored contender, the casual fan will come. Because the mgmt says all the right things means nothing to the casual fan, because they don't hear that crap. That's part of what makes them "casual". When they start paying attention to stuff like that, they aren't casual any longer...

Cubbiesuck13
04-26-2004, 11:32 PM
he is the same as all the other 'journalists'. There are very few who acually report the news in todays world. Unfortunatly there are tons who like to ruffle the feathers and make a name for themselves. Ask Jay Mariotti. This reffers to pollitics not just sports.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Great, now the national media is jumping on the bandwagon. Well done Jerry et al. You have managed to now make the Sox the laughing stock of the whole country, not just Chicago...

No such thing as bad publicity? This would have to take a leap of several magnitudes before it will ever backfire and gain the Sox sympathy. Not going to happen.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that no one on this board likes the media comments and tends to support the team. No shock there. Of course all of us are spending money on the team, devoting hours to talking about the team and helping run websites that give the team FREE publicity and paying for it out of our own pockets.

Any press is good press?

Honestly, none of this matters. For the most part, Sox fans are born, not converted. I like it that way.

DMarte708
04-27-2004, 02:36 AM
First, Rome is an moron. I suppose Mariotti placed a special phone call to his partner in idiocy and convinced him to devout time to this story. Why the hell should I care what he says? Ozzie brought to the attention of the media what nearly every fan on this site has known: Sox are overshadowed by the Cubs. And don't pull the "Cubs were 5 outs from the world series, they had a great offseason" bs because its been this way for YEARS. Blame JR all you want, but we can't accept this laid approach of sitting back and doing nothing when our team is ignored, or when press is given negative subjects of the team and organization are highlighted.

Lets say Ozzie didn't say a word about the Cubs or their coverage, do you believe Mariotti would stop bashing the sox? If Sox win (as all of you suggested is enough to sway off balanced attention), he'll give due but still hold reserve to reinsdorf or some other incriminating topic. Ozzie didn't approach this topic very well, but the message is clear: he will not stand back and allow cubs to receive 4 color pages detailing a 10-2 loss (sammy hits two solo shots) when the Sox win 7-4 over their division rival Twins.

I never want to hear Ozzie bring this topic up again, but I do believe he struck a chord within this towns media outlets. If these newspapers have any connection to the local Sox fanbase they know Ozzie is relaying the feeling of many fans. And possibly, don't you think that Ozzie bringing this topic to the surface makes Suntimes/Tribune sure to include equal coverage.

Voodoo, you believe Ozzie's whining doesn't appeal to the casual fan; that's not the point. The casual fan, whether he believes him not, will make his own assumptions on the validity of Oz's complaint. How if someone (not particularly a fan of either team) reads the paper and agrees the Sox are ignored. This person may wonder to himself why he never sees positive Sox highlights and articles, but finds it odd how they never field a terrible team. Crazier ideas have been accepted: you know we didn’t go to moon right? If you assume this hurts us you must accept that some percentage will agree with Ozzie. Without any proof you can't assume anything; many fans may believe Oz, others wont. Because Cubs have a large casual fan base doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll automatically discredit him on grounds of jealousy. Everyone knows the media has never been guilty of impartial, slanted coverage of any topic.

About the national coverage: how have they jumped on the bandwagon? When I read the Oz complaint on ESPN, SI, and featured on Sportscenter then I'll agree its an actual story. It appears that Rome's comments are irrelevant unless he insults our club, then all of the sudden what he says becomes a representation of the entire nation.

voodoochile
04-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
You need not worry about this, Voodoo. The one and only thing that will attract the casual fan is the point in time when the Sox are "what's happening". When they are a playoff team, the casual fan will come. When they are a favored contender, the casual fan will come. Because the mgmt says all the right things means nothing to the casual fan, because they don't hear that crap. That's part of what makes them "casual". When they start paying attention to stuff like that, they aren't casual any longer...

Yes, but the casual fan does listen to Jim Rome, read Jay Moronotti and the rest of the guys who are now ripping the Sox. Sox management CANNOT win this war and even more so because of the fact that you mentioned. The casual fan doesn't listen to Hawk, so they never even get the Sox POV on the matter.

The Sox should quit whining and start winning. Then they should invite a bunch of reporters in for free food and dazzle them with some ex-players and some openess. JR should admit he has been wrong and laugh about it. They should continue to add talent at the deadline every year and up payroll then the positive press will come and the FANS will start to defend the team.

Having Hawk go after the press is simply stupid. If he did it on his own, JR should tell him to ****. Of course JR is too busy worrying about his pocketbook to bother with worrying about a little thing like should the Sox be starting a war with the media...

Anyone who doesn't understand why that is a BAD idea really doesn't understand the dynamics at work, IMO.

voodoochile
04-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
Voodoo, you believe Ozzie's whining doesn't appeal to the casual fan; that's not the point. The casual fan, whether he believes him not, will make his own assumptions on the validity of Oz's complaint. How if someone (not particularly a fan of either team) reads the paper and agrees the Sox are ignored. This person may wonder to himself why he never sees positive Sox highlights and articles, but finds it odd how they never field a terrible team. Crazier ideas have been accepted: you know we didn’t go to moon right? If you assume this hurts us you must accept that some percentage will agree with Ozzie. Without any proof you can't assume anything; many fans may believe Oz, others wont. Because Cubs have a large casual fan base doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll automatically discredit him on grounds of jealousy. Everyone knows the media has never been guilty of impartial, slanted coverage of any topic.

About the national coverage: how have they jumped on the bandwagon? When I read the Oz complaint on ESPN, SI, and featured on Sportscenter then I'll agree its an actual story. It appears that Rome's comments are irrelevant unless he insults our club, then all of the sudden what he says becomes a representation of the entire nation.

You honestly think the Sox can get a fair shake by going about it this way?

Two hamburger restaurants selling the same burger for roughly the same price. One of them keeps talking about the party going on. It always has beautiful waitresses and features them in their ads. They have lots of young happening people and the press loves them and gives them lots of great writeups.

The other one is normally half empty and the management team does little to promote the place. Then the management team starts whining about the press the other place gets.

Which one will be more likely to get the tourist dollar and attract the guy who isn't a regular at either place?

Whether Rome is a representation of the entire nation or not is completely irrelevent. He has a national audience and people listen to him. That makes him part of the national press, period.

When did the opinions of the people on this board (ALL of us die hard Sox fans) become representative of the population at large. Take off the Sox colored glasses and look at it from another person's perspective. Then tell me what you think.

Take a copy of Moronotti's article to someone you know who doesn't follow baseball and ask them to read it and then ask them what they think of the Sox. Don't tell them what you think of Moronotti first, just hand them the column and ask them their opinion afterwards. That is the group of people who are influenced by this stuff and the Sox CANNOT win their hearts and minds by crying "Poooor meeeeeeee, the media hates us..."

Cubbiesuck13
04-27-2004, 01:54 PM
You honestly think the Sox can get a fair shake by going about it this way?

Two hamburger restaurants selling the same burger for roughly the same price. One of them keeps talking about the party going on. It always has beautiful waitresses and features them in their ads. They have lots of young happening people and the press loves them and gives them lots of great writeups.

The other one is normally half empty and the management team does little to promote the place. Then the management team starts whining about the press the other place gets.

Which one will be more likely to get the tourist dollar and attract the guy who isn't a regular at either place?

Whether Rome is a representation of the entire nation or not is completely irrelevent. He has a national audience and people listen to him. That makes him part of the national press, period.

When did the opinions of the people on this board (ALL of us die hard Sox fans) become representative of the population at large. Take off the Sox colored glasses and look at it from another person's perspective. Then tell me what you think.

Take a copy of Moronotti's article to someone you know who doesn't follow baseball and ask them to read it and then ask them what they think of the Sox. Don't tell them what you think of Moronotti first, just hand them the column and ask them their opinion afterwards. That is the group of people who are influenced by this stuff and the Sox CANNOT win their hearts and minds by crying "Poooor meeeeeeee, the media hates us..."

I don't know if your reffering to ozzie's comments here along with the fans (us) but I do not think that the oz's comments were whinny at all. I understand what you are saying with the fans and all but I don't see ozzie or anyone else who speaks for the whitesox boo hooing the coverage. Just pointing out a couple of facts.