PDA

View Full Version : Boston on the White Sox.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
The White Sox are convinced Scott Schoeneweis' cutter is so good he can get by on power sinkers and cutters, this year's version of Esteban Loaiza. As for the bullpen, Ken Williams says" "I don't like to call it 'bullpen by committee' because that sounds as if we have no one to close. But it comes down to situations, and Damaso Marte, Billy Koch or Cliff Politte can finish out games." Speaking of the White Sox bullpen, one of the most positive early developments has been the work of Neal Cotts and Jon Adkins in the long roles.

Jeremy Reed is off to a boffo start in the International League, which may give the White Sox a needed left-handed bat. And Williams doesn't give up on Joe Borchard. "It's tough to get the football player out of him and have him relax," says Williams. "But it's coming."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1790092

1951Campbell
04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
"I don't like to call it 'bullpen by committee' because that sounds as if we have no one to close.

That doesn't change the facts, Kenny.

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
That doesn't change the facts, Kenny.

Kenny has a point. I have full confidence thar Marte and Pollitte can close, and both have been solid in the right situations.

mdep524
04-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Kenny has a point. I have full confidence thar Marte and Pollitte can close, and both have been solid in the right situations.

They've both been damn solid in the 7th and 8th innings, and they seem to work well in tight situations (with runners on base, etc.), thus that's where I'd leave them. For my money, I'd hand the ball to Adkins in the 9th inning and call him the "closer" or more accurately "9th inning pitcher." I think he can come in to start and inning and consistently not give up runs or implode, which is what you want in the 9th inning. Why anyone would think that Koch is capable or well suited to pitch in that situation is beyond me and, franky, assinine.

joeynach
04-26-2004, 03:31 PM

I dont get it. Whats the point on SS. Is the point of the article to point out this this type of pitching will eventually catch up and SS will fail. Or ois suggesting something postive about the way SS is throwing.

sas1974
04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
I dont get it. Whats the point on SS. Is the point of the article to point out this this type of pitching will eventually catch up and SS will fail. Or ois suggesting something postive about the way SS is throwing.

No point. Just typical Gammons.

pudge
04-26-2004, 04:32 PM
And Williams doesn't give up on Joe Borchard. "It's tough to get the football player out of him and have him relax," says Williams. "But it's coming."

Man, it better come soon, cause he's no spring chicken anymore.

1951Campbell
04-26-2004, 09:40 PM

Fine, but the usual paradigm for sucess is one guy who trots in from the bullpen night after night and just shuts down the other side, and strikes fear in their heart--not a mix-and-match, ripe for (dare I say it) tinkering situation.

jeremyb1
04-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Fine, but the usual paradigm for sucess is one guy who trots in from the bullpen night after night and just shuts down the other side, and strikes fear in their heart--not a mix-and-match, ripe for (dare I say it) tinkering situation.

Well if that's what ussually happens its clearly the best way.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2004, 10:37 PM

Well we don't have that luxury. But we don't have many save situations anyway. We often win by more than 3 runs and 4 times this year we won in our last at-bat.

Someone will emerge as closer or (if not this year, next year) we'll get someone. Foulke went from a dominant long relief guy to closer in one year's time, just because Howry struggled in 2000. Now he's one of the best in the business. Nobody is groomed to close games before reaching professional ball, so I don't believe people that say for instance "Danny Wright can never close" etc.

Even in the minors, future MLB closers are relieving and starting. Anyone can become one. Gagne was a crappy starter...Guardado was a solid-at-best middle reliever. Both are now great closers. Eckersely...I could go on forever.