PDA

View Full Version : This Isn't Wrigley

muckdogs624
04-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I am proud to say I went to the game on Sunday I was watching the game in my seats and in the top of the fourth Aubrey Huff hit a home run. Although I was upset, I kept my cool until I was thoroghly disturbed as what happened next. A "fan" threw the ball back into the field of play. Seriously, this is not wrigley field where all the rich kids scramble for the ball to show off their weak arms. I hated this, what do you guys think about it.

jabrch
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by muckdogs624
I am proud to say I went to the game on Sunday I was watching the game in my seats and in the top of the fourth Aubrey Huff hit a home run. Although I was upset, I kept my cool until I was thoroghly disturbed as what happened next. A "fan" threw the ball back into the field of play. Seriously, this is not wrigley field where all the rich kids scramble for the ball to show off their weak arms. I hated this, what do you guys think about it.

It drives me nuts also. unfortunately, it happens ALL OVER MLB. Fans in a lot of cities picked up that throw it back thing. I don't get it. I wouldn't. Most here wouldn't. But it seems to have stuck around MLB.

sas1974
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but what the heck, I'll double it up:

That is one of my biggest baseball game pet peeves, right along w/ the wave. Don't people know which side of town they are on? There are not a lot of baseball traditions more cubbie than doing throwing an HR ball back. First of all, it's stupid. Give the ball to a little kid or something instead of showing off your puss arm as you barely get the ball back onto the field. Second, I still do not understand how this is allowed to go on. How can they let someone throw something, ANYTHING, on to the field of play? They should start throwing these morons out and then people would finally start to get it.

mantis1212
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
When we were playing the Yankees in New York this year, I noticed a yankee fan through back a Carlos Lee foul ball. This confused me- does this mean we get the strike back?

Dub25
04-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I always try to tell people to act civilized and keep the ball. Don't be a bleacher bum moron. However, if somebody has to do something with the opposing teams ball how about walking to the nearest garbage can and thrwing it away. That might be kind of funny especially if sportscenter cameras caught that.

Iwritecode
04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
I have to admit that even with all the homeruns that were hit on opening day this year, I didn't see a single one of them thrown back.

IIRC, three of them landed within 20 feet of me. I did feel like slapping the morons that were chanting "throw it back" though. Thankfully the fans that caught them didn't give in.

If they don't want the ball, wouldn't it make more sense to give it ball to a kid sitting nearby instead? Someone that might actually appreciate a free souvenir?

Also, does security get on the people that do this and kick them out? If they don't, they need to. They also need to make announcements a couple of times every game that anyone caught throwing anything on the field of play will be removed.

Blueprint1
04-26-2004, 02:54 PM
At Bush stadium they do kick you out if you throw the homerun back. I think they do this becuase of the visiting cubs fans doing this when they visit.

compy75
04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
"When we were playing the Yankees in New York this year, I noticed a yankee fan through back a Carlos Lee foul ball. "

I went to two of the Yankee series games at YS and it was the Friday that this occurred. Maggs homered off Contreses and a guy got it right in front of me-dead in the chest. Everyone yelled at him to throw it back, the whole section. I yelled "What are you guys Cubs fans?" Needless to say the guy kept the ball. 2 innings later Paul Quantral came in and promptly gave up a rbi single to Maggs. At this point is was 9-1 or so. Frank came up next and hit one about 5 feet foul down the left field line that hit the facade of the upper deck. A guy caught it after the deflection and hurled it back onto the field like a moron.
The next day Valentin's homer off Depaula was hurled back onto the field also. I just don't understand the mentality behind these acts. It's completely moronic. On a side note, I might add that a solid 50% of the people in YS have no idea about baseball. The whole bottom section is corporate and most don't have a clue. The bleachers, however, where I sat Saturday actually have a clue and know their baseball. Of course when I went to the Cell on Memorial Day two years ago, it was different, most knew exactly what was going on.

CubKilla
04-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Along with Ronnie Woo-Woo, throwing the HR ball back of an opposing player is, by far, the dumbest baseball "tradition" ever.

mantis1212
04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
I went to a Cubs-Sox matchup at Wrigley a year or two ago, and a Sox fan threw back a Sosa HR. That's one situation where this is acceptable. Pretty Cool, in fact...

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I went to a Cubs-Sox matchup at Wrigley a year or two ago, and a Sox fan threw back a Sosa HR. That's one situation where this is acceptable. Pretty Cool, in fact...

Why?

Dan H
04-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Along with Ronnie Woo-Woo, throwing the HR ball back of an opposing player is, by far, the dumbest baseball "tradition" ever.

I couldn't have said it better. The media thinks we are "jealous" of Cub fans. How can we be jealous of the shameless promotion of a village idiot and throwing away a souvenior that most fans would like to have.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I couldn't have said it better. The media thinks we are "jealous" of Cub fans. How can we be jealous of the shameless promotion of a village idiot and throwing away a souvenior that most fans would like to have.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

zach23
04-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Dan H

I don't understand the point of throwing the ball back. The HR still counts. I doubt the player that hit it is going to be depressed that nobody wanted the ball he hit. Most of the people that throw them back wind up trampling people to get the ball in the first place. Seems lame and stupid. Hand the ball to a kid if you don't want it.

OEO Magglio
04-26-2004, 04:31 PM
I also saw that, and it drove me nuts if you catch a homerun don't throw the stupid ball back. :angry:

sas1974
04-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by zach23
I don't understand the point of throwing the ball back. The HR still counts. I doubt the player that hit it is going to be depressed that nobody wanted the ball he hit. Most of the people that throw them back wind up trampling people to get the ball in the first place. Seems lame and stupid. Hand the ball to a kid if you don't want it.

Good point. It would one thing if the ball came right to them, but when these morons climb over 5 rows of people, knocking others out of the way to get the ball and THEN they throw it back. Again, it's stupid and anyone throwing anything onto the field should be ejected - case closed.

One of these days, some chump is going to sizzle shamme in the back of his HGH-enlarged melon w/ a rejected HR ball and then we'll see how cute they think it is.

zach23
04-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

One of these days, some chump is going to sizzle shamme in the back of his HGH-enlarged melon w/ a rejected HR ball and then we'll see how cute they think it is.

I don't know about old sam, but it could happen to whoever is in LF or CF. Some of those guys launch them back off the street beyond LF and have no idea where it is going. I wouldn't be surprised if one winds up hitting a player some day and possibly putting him on the dl with a concussion. I would imagine it would come to a stop at that point.

woodenleg
04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I thought that the people at Wrigley were only pretending to throw the balls back.

havelj
04-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Many throw an alternate ball back - it's all B.S. Rarely is the actual original HR ball thrown back (especially if it lands on the street - it's sometimes an old brown or yellow ball.) In fact - bring an extra clean ball to the Sox games in Wrigley and if (hopefully not) a Cub hits one in the bleachers and you are out there in the general area - throw it on the field.

dllrbll7
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212

I agree that that is just hilarious and the only time it should be acceptable because you are more mocking them as in the Fans, the organization, and their most loved cheater and wife beater ever.

maurice
04-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I still do not understand how this is allowed to go on. How can they let someone throw something, ANYTHING, on to the field of play? They should start throwing these morons out and then people would finally start to get it.

Ditto. They make an announcement that you're not allowed to throw anything on the field of play and then do nothing when it occurs. Get with the program, Sox security!

BTW, when they yell "throw it back," I respond with "throw it to me, you moron!"

Whitesox029
04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
This upset me quite a bit as well, as I was unfortunate enough to be at a party watching the game with two Cub fans present. I kept my cool in front of them of course, but nevertheless It aggavated me to see that Flub influence wafting across town.

CWSGuy406
04-26-2004, 07:14 PM
lol, It's quite funny seeing the kids at Wrigley with the teeny-tiny toothpick arms throw the ball and not even make it past Sammy Sosa, lol.

The least they can do is hurl it far...

But, I had a post in another topic - If you catch a homer, and don't want it, give it to a kid, make his/her day.

Whitesox029
04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
lol, It's quite funny seeing the kids at Wrigley with the teeny-tiny toothpick arms throw the ball and not even make it past Sammy Sosa, lol.

The least they can do is hurl it far...

But, I had a post in another topic - If you catch a homer, and don't want it, give it to a kid, make his/her day.
I agree, but it's not so much that they don't want the ball, it's just that they want to make an idiotic statement. Some of them even stash decoys in their pockets and then throw the fake ball out on the field and just keep the real one.

HomeFish
04-26-2004, 07:49 PM
The Sox need to have announcements before the game asking people to not throw visiting team balls onto the field but to give them to a kid nearby. Not a park security guy, since nobody will listen to that, but a kid.

I saw somebody throw back a visiting foul ball once. That was the worst. Almost as bad as the time I was sitting behind two businessmen from Houston who were wondering why they don't throw the ball back at Comiskey.

JGarlandrules20
04-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I was at the game and saw that too.. and all the people around me cheered after he threw it back.. and I was just thinking.. morons, thats a stupid cub thing.

And that other homerun.. it looked like some people were trying to get the fan who caught it to throw it back. But good for him that he didn't.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2004, 09:23 PM
If I ever catch an opposing home run, I'm turning around, holding it up to the crowd chanting "throw it back" and I'm putting it right in my pocket.

Railsplitter
04-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Do you think we might someday hear Gene Honda say "Please refrain from throwing objects onto the field" after such an activity?

pearso66
04-26-2004, 09:26 PM
People who throw the ball back tick me off. The greatest statement was " Throw it to me, you moron" I've never caught anything, and there is no way I'd throw a ball back I got. That possibly could have stories behind it. " as i was ordering a beer, this ball came and nailed me right in the head"

Thunderstruck30
04-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I may be wrong, but didnt the Cubs fans steal this tradition from some other teams fans?

Patrick134
04-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Baseball players love to collect their own memorabilia. I'd think most guys would love to have their home run balls back.