PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the media-draft

Palehose13
04-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Here is the first draft of my letter to the media. If it fits the requirements, I hope to send it in the "View form a Sox fan". I need to add the date that Hangar started his "media wwatch", but other than that...does anyone have any suggestions before I send it?

This is not meant to be disrespectful to Coach Baker or the Chicago media, but in regards to Ozzie Guillen’s comments…you’re not getting it. Since Ozzie made his comments about the “Prior watch” and other things cub-related, he has received criticism from the media and the cubs manager. Dusty himself has said “I find it strange that we don't say much about them, but they say things about us. That's their prerogative…It's hard enough for me to manage one team than to concentrate on two…”.
In Ozzie’s defense, he has not made comments concerning the play of the cubs, but the media frenzy surrounding the cubs. I am imagining that Ozzie is not visiting the clubhouse between innings to check on the cub game, but that he opens the paper every morning to see the cubs fawned upon while his team gets little recognition. You may wonder what is wrong with that, but let’s consider the projections of both teams at the start of the season. The cubs, armed with a great pitching staff, improved offense, and with weaker opponents to start the season were supposed to take an early lead and run away with the division. The Sox, on the other hand, with questionable pitching, no remarkable acquisitions, a neophyte manager, and a tough schedule to start the season were to happy hovering around .500. The cubs started cold, but have just started to heat up and are now in first place in their division. This is news. I will not downplay their success. However, the Sox are currently exceeding expectations. Is this not news? Shouldn’t the team that was projected by many to finish third in the division having one of their best starts in years warrant the same attention?
Undoubtedly the loss of Mark Prior has an effect on cubdom. However, doesn’t the loss of Frank Thomas have the same effect in the Sox world? What about the impressive starts of Juan Uribe and Scott Schoenweiss who were doubted by almost all? Since DATE and up to April 20th, both Chicago newspapers have had 426 articles about the cubs and 272 articles about the Sox. This stat alone demonstrates that there is a media bias towards the cubs and does not exist only in the imagination of Sox fans. So please note, Ozzie Guillen is not attacking the Chicago cub organization, but merely pointing out that there is another team in Chicago to pay attention to. After all, isn’t that what a good manager should do?

Jerko
04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
I like the letter, but I just think you are wasting your time. The more and more we write or email to people, the more and more morons will just twist around what we say and print it in the next day's paper, which can only make this never-ending cycle even worse. Plus, the Royals, Yankees (at least for now), and Devil Rays aren't really "good" competition yet either. You know if you send that letter in you're gonna hear this: Well actually PH13, the combined record of the teams that the CUBS have played so far is 36-36, while the so-called "better competition" that the Sox have faced are a combined 21-32. Add Cleveland and Toronto (the Sox next 2 opponents) and the combined record of the first 5 teams the Sox have played is 34-56. So, the Cubs actually have a better record than the Sox right now, and believe it or not, they HAVE played better teams so far than the Sox have. I know by the end of the year that probably will change, but I guarantee if you send that letter and anybody responds to it, they will call you "uninformed" to go along with whiny. I just think writing and emailing and boycotting and all that other stuff just makes the Moron think he's right all the time and we can't be giving them ammo with the "Cubs haven't played anybody yet" argument, not this early anyway.

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I agree. Letters like this won't have any effect, but if you do send them, make sure to spell the names of our players correctly because I'm sure if an editor of a paper saw Schoeneweis mispelled, the credibility of the e-mail or letter would be gone.

steff
04-26-2004, 01:08 PM
My opinion.. don't bother. Thanks to Ozzie we already look like a bunch of whiney babies..

"Boo hoo.. there are more stories about the Cubs in the paper today.. :whiner: :whiner: "

Palehose13
04-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the spelling of Schoeneweis. My bad and was going to check it before it was sent.

I guess the opinion is that it sholdn't get sent. Cool. Not sweat off my butt.

Thanks for all the input!

alohafri
04-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by steff
My opinion.. don't bother. Thanks to Ozzie we already look like a bunch of whiney babies..

"Boo hoo.. there are more stories about the Cubs in the paper today.. :whiner: :whiner: "

I like that Oz called the media out for what they are...sCrUB fans! I'd have more respect for these idiots if they didn't claim that they had no bias. Clinton good, Bush bad, Cubs good, Sox bad. Screw them!

Ozzie!!!

blueeyes33
04-26-2004, 01:25 PM
its too long.imagine if you got a email from someone who wants to prove you wrong.trying to argue.whatever the case.and its that long...id be all over that delete button.cause i can care less about this persons opinion.and you know obviously the "media" can care less about ours!

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 01:30 PM
I would definitely not use the term "cubdom." I think that furthers the cause of them having some sort of culture that exists around their ballteam.

There are Cubs fans, etc. but cubdom just rubs me the wrong way.

Other than that, I think it is good. Whether it will accomplish anything, I don't know.

Palehose13
04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
I would definitely not use the term "cubdom." I think that furthers the cause of them having some sort of culture that exists around their ballteam.

There are Cubs fans, etc. but cubdom just rubs me the wrong way.

Other than that, I think it is good. Whether it will accomplish anything, I don't know.

I used the term "tongue-in-cheek", but you are probably right...if it is sent, it should be taken out.

blueeyes-
I realize that it is a little long, but not longer than one of thier commentaries. I don't know how to shorten it and still make my point.

jeremyb1
04-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I think it's absolutely worth sending. The one thing I'd change is I'd support Ozzie's beef as you have but I wouldn't defend his specific example of Frank vs. Prior. It is a horrible example in my opinion. Frank was day to day whereas Prior has missed in extended period of time. Prior is young and is the Cubs franchise player. Frank while still valuable is past his prime and doesn't have a ton of years left in the league. I'd just ignore the example all together or say "Ozzie's example wasn't that great but the point remains..."

KingXerxes
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM

I totally agree. My God just manage the games, stay in the race and quit worrying about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM

Steff, you're talking way too much sense for some of us to comprehend.

Good for you.

steff
04-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Good for you.

Once or twice a year I hit gold. :D:

Palehose13
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Good for you.

Wow...I didn't think that my letter was whiney or sounded like a crybaby. I thought that Ozzie's comments were taken the wrong way by Dusty Baker and the media. Since Oz isn't so good wiht English, I thought I'd help him out a bit. :D:

I guess it doesn't make sense to write the media when you disagree.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Wow...I didn't think that my letter was whiney or sounded like a crybaby. I thought that Ozzie's comments were taken the wrong way by Dusty Baker and the media. Since Oz isn't so good wiht English, I thought I'd help him out a bit. :D:

As I stated elsewhere, *you* can do whatever you want. The problems start when the inhabitants of Reinsdorf's Gulag begin trying to spread his control over others thoughts to the fifth estate, too. That's what Steff and I are talking about with the whining.

Tekijawa
04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Not enough Four letter words and no where near enough Exclamation points and Bold /CAPITALIZED words!!!!!

Palehose13
04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Not enough Four letter words and no where near enough Exclamation points and Bold /CAPITALIZED words!!!!!

lol...believe me, they are in my mind but I didn't think they woud be appropriate on paper!

BearSox
04-26-2004, 04:53 PM
What if we just sent Hals article as well. I think he makes the best arguments as to why we're frustrated with the media and backs it up by providing facts that make those firebacks that we get from the media from our supposed whining as why it's not whining and a legitimate concern.

steff
04-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

No one said YOU sounded like a crybaby. As a matter of fact.. I think I was quite clear in my post on who, IMO, the whiner is.

maurice
04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
I think the letter's fine, but they typically don't publish any letters which are critical of Sox coverage. Rather, they just publish columns asking us to stop sending them.

For example, while plenty of us sent at least moderately coherent complaints about Telander's smear piece in last Sunday's paper, the two responses they published both began with agreements concerning the (ridiculous) underlying premise of the article. At least the second letter writer managed to slip in a good chicken-egg argument.

Whitesox029
04-26-2004, 06:50 PM
I am about to once again use Seinfeld as the standard that guides my life in general. In one episode, Jerry encourages a friend in her standup act only to have her turn said act into a nightly Jerry-Seinfeld-bashfest. He asks her politely to stop, leaves a message on her phone, and has his lawyer send a letter, all of which she uses as material for her act.
The moral is that the flubfans are only going to use this against us, so let's not feed them with crap--let's let our Sox do the talking. They'll be singing a different tune--or no tune at all--when the Sox are the lone contenders in this town.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-27-2004, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't think it's needed, but i think you'd want to make it shorter if you wanted it to be printed