PDA

View Full Version : Hawk singing "Take Me Out..." yesterday

DrCrawdad
04-26-2004, 11:25 AM
During Sunday's broadcast as they came back from the commercials in the bottom of the 7th Hawk was singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" not to the crowd but it was clear on the broadcast.

I say give Hawk the public address microphone and let Hawk lead the crowd in the 7th inning stretch! YES!

SEALgep
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't mind it. The media would have a field day about it, but who really cares. Go for it Hawk. :smile:

DSpivack
04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
The media would probably jump on the fact that the White Sox would be "stealing" a Cubs tradition and that Harry Caray would be turning over in his grave. This would be in teal except for the fact I can totally see it happening.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
The media would probably jump on the fact that the White Sox would be "stealing" a Cubs tradition and that Harry Caray would be turning over in his grave. This would be in teal except for the fact I can totally see it happening.

I think it would be cool -- Harry Caray started singing at old Comiskey didn't he? Get Hawk out there to "reclaim" the tradition, a symbol of a big push to reclaim the hearts of Chicago baseball fans. You won't win the battle by griping at the media. Actions speak louder than words.

Rush20
04-26-2004, 11:38 AM

...ahem, the Cubs stole the tradition from the White Sox when they hired Harry Caray. A fact that I need to occassionaly remind my Cub-Fan friends.

Rocky Soprano
04-26-2004, 11:39 AM
I would love to see that. Cubdom would get pissed and then we can turn around and say hey stop worrying about us.

davidleeroth
04-26-2004, 11:52 AM
the big problem in my opinion with sox fans in this town is that we seem to be looking for some kind of new identity. instead, we should be focusing on the history we have and try to bring it out. now the 7th inning stretch is something WE created, now lets bring it out and shove it down the north side's throat.

JDsDirtySox
04-26-2004, 12:00 PM
I would like to see us have some other sort of fun in the late innings to spark a rally (not like we really need any help right now).
Something like the Rally Monkey for the Angels, or how the Bo Sox have Kevin Millar doing Born in the USA. I remember hearing a while back that someone had video of Willie singing and dancing in the clubhouse.

That would be funny.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2004, 12:03 PM
If the Sox are going to do this they should do it right. Play a recording of Harry signing 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame,' from when he was with the Sox in the 70's.

If the Sox don't have a copy I can easily give them one.

Since the Cubs have generated positive press by honoring his memory, let's let the Sox do the same by using the man himself.

Lip

Baby Fisk
04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JDsDirtySox
I would like to see us have some other sort of fun in the late innings to spark a rally (not like we really need any help right now).
Something like the Rally Monkey for the Angels, or how the Bo Sox have Kevin Millar doing Born in the USA. I remember hearing a while back that someone had video of Willie singing and dancing in the clubhouse.

That would be funny.

Someone should unearth that footage of Ozzie doing a totally ridiculous dance in the dugout from the early 90s. Call it the Ozzie Rally Dance. :cool:

RichFitztightly
04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Someone should unearth that footage of Ozzie doing a totally ridiculous dance in the dugout from the early 90s. Call it the Ozzie Rally Dance. :cool:

While I think this would be absolutely hilarious, once Ozzie starts struggling (or I should say, when the team struggles) that'll be the first thing people will look at. All you'll hear is how the team can't win when a goof like the one dancing on the scoreboard is running the team.

JohnJeter
04-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Regardless of whether or not it was appropriated from the Sox, it's now perceived by the casual observer (read: the overwhelming majority of non-White Sox baseball fans) as a Cub thing now. No thanks.

Speaking of which, someone threw a TB HR ball back yesterday. Couldn't tell if the crowd was exhorting him to do it or not to do it. Probably a little of both.

joecrede
04-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If the Sox are going to do this they should do it right. Play a recording of Harry signing 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame,' from when he was with the Sox in the 70's.

Since the Cubs have generated positive press by honoring his memory, let's let the Sox do the same by using the man himself.

Lip

Good idea Lip.

The 7th inning "thing" the Cubs do now is a sham for celebrities to promote whatever they have going on. Playing a recording of Harry would be a fitting tribute from the Sox.

I doubt it will happen though for many reasons not the least of which being the media backlash they fear.

DSpivack
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
...ahem, the Cubs stole the tradition from the White Sox when they hired Harry Caray. A fact that I need to occassionaly remind my Cub-Fan friends.

You know that. I know that. But do Cubs fans, as well as most Chicagoans, know that? Do baseball fans across America know that?

SEALgep
04-26-2004, 01:54 PM
You know that. I know that. But do Cubs fans, as well as most Chicagoans, know that? Do baseball fans across America know that? They'll know when we play his recording.

Hangar18
04-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Ive Always SAID Hawk should do it............and TAKE BACK something that STARTED on the South Side of Chicago.
The Media will Ironically say the SOX COPIED the cubs, but of course, its all BS and MisInformation they churn out

Hangar18
04-26-2004, 02:11 PM

Lip

LIP.........THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. They could ALSO USE VIDEO of him in the booth, and put it on the Scoreboard ......
I like this very much :smile:

Blueprint1
04-26-2004, 02:12 PM
If you have a copy of this is there anyway we can share it. I would love to have that to play for some cubs fans.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
LIP.........THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. They could ALSO USE VIDEO of him in the booth, and put it on the Scoreboard ......
I like this very much :smile:

Exactly! It would be like Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" in Philly... and it would drive the north side nuts. :cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2004, 03:23 PM
i personally like the idea of hawk leading the crowd on to sing it...
even if he doesn't sound the best...but who doesn't sound like a jag when singing take me out to the ballgame? i've never heard a good rendition

KingXerxes
04-26-2004, 03:41 PM
While there is no doubt that this tradition started up in the rafters of Comiskey Park - it was also intentionally ended at Comiskey Park when the guy who used to do it was fired. The Cubs were only too happy to pick it up and run with it. Harry Caray died on good terms with the Cubs, and I suspect not so good terms with the White Sox - so I don't know how Caray's family would even react to showing him on video.

Here's a suggestion. Reinsdorf sells the team and the new owner - as one of his first acts - calls up Dutchie Caray and apologizes for the behavior of his predecessor on all matters regarding Harry Caray. Then - with her blessing - have a Harry Caray night, unveil a Harry Caray statue, and start playing his rendition from then on.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
While there is no doubt that this tradition started up in the rafters of Comiskey Park - it was also intentionally ended at Comiskey Park when the guy who used to do it was fired. The Cubs were only too happy to pick it up and run with it. Harry Caray died on good terms with the Cubs, and I suspect not so good terms with the White Sox - so I don't know how Caray's family would even react to showing him on video.

Here's a suggestion. Reinsdorf sells the team and the new owner - as one of his first acts - calls up Dutchie Caray and apologizes for the behavior of his predecessor on all matters regarding Harry Caray. Then - with her blessing - have a Harry Caray night, unveil a Harry Caray statue, and start playing his rendition from then on.

Yeah, I think that's about the only way to do that. You can't just bring Harry up out of nowhere, after not mentioning him for 20 years.

SEALgep
04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
Yeah, I think that's about the only way to do that. You can't just bring Harry up out of nowhere, after not mentioning him for 20 years. We just don't do it, and have Hawk sing it. When the media flips, simply explain that it was ours to begin with and we're continuing it now. They won't like it, but the proof will be there.

MRKARNO
04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
There is no way this organization would try to honor Harry Carry by playing the 7th inning stretch recording of him. Jerry Reinsdorf just hated him so much because he felt HC was unfair to the team. It would be a lot more likely to see Hawk sing it.

Whitesox029
04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
I think we should really start doing more of that type of thing at the ballpark, reinstating old Sox traditions. Maybe we could even have a turn-back-the-clock day to 1959. I'd like to see the Sox in those retro-'59 jerseys for a day. We could have all the surviving members of the '59 Sox and food, programs, and scorecards would cost the same as they did back in '59. I think JR would survive the costs for one day.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Just wondering...

Why would the Sox have to ask permission from the Caray family to do it? Harry worked for the Sox...anything he did while being employed by them belongs to MLB and the team not to the Caray family. That includes audio and video.

Now I could see letting Dutchie know ahead of time that the Sox were going to do this as a courtesy but ask for permission?

I don't think they have to.

Doesn't matter anyway since good ole Uncle Jerry would rather die first.

Lip

CWSGuy406
04-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Regardless of whether or not it was appropriated from the Sox, it's now perceived by the casual observer (read: the overwhelming majority of non-White Sox baseball fans) as a Cub thing now. No thanks.

Speaking of which, someone threw a TB HR ball back yesterday. Couldn't tell if the crowd was exhorting him to do it or not to do it. Probably a little of both.

Yeah, there was a British family sitting in front of me (I assume this because of a strong accent), and when the ball was thrown back, the mom was like "that's what they do at Wrigley field, where the Cubs play." That angered me so much. :angry:

Which brings me to another point - if you catch a ball and want to throw it back, give it to a kid, make his day. I'm only sixteen, I remember not so long ago the thrill of wanting a ball that was used in the game. This one time, I was at a Cardinals / Cubs game, and this guy behind me was a Cardinals fan (as was I at the time, it was my tee-ball team and I hated the Cubs), and he was just so nice - well, by the end of the game, he gave me this real cool Cardinals hat. I loved it. Getting back to the point, if you catch a ball, give it to a kid if you don't want it - make his/her day.

hsnterprize
04-26-2004, 07:17 PM

Lip How about after Nancy leads the crowd in Take Me Out To The Ballgame, the scoreboards shoots off some fireworks, and then Nancy, along with the P.A., leads the crowd through a rendition of "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Goodbye."

Hey...if the Milwaukee Brewers can have their fans sing "Roll Out The Barrel" after TMOTTBG, why can't we do something different?

hsnterprize
04-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
I think we should really start doing more of that type of thing at the ballpark, reinstating old Sox traditions. Maybe we could even have a turn-back-the-clock day to 1959. I'd like to see the Sox in those retro-'59 jerseys for a day. We could have all the surviving members of the '59 Sox and food, programs, and scorecards would cost the same as they did back in '59. I think JR would survive the costs for one day. There was a "Turn Back the Clock" promotion a few years ago with the team honoring the '59 Sox. All upper deck seats were $1.50, and the place was PACKED. I think over 44,000 people went to the game that night back in the mid 90's...clearly the biggets crowd of the season at that time...and the Sox actually won. However, leave it up to Terry Bevington to screw things up when he said, "If people would keep showing up here, we can win." I wanted to yell back at the TV, "If you would start winning, people would show up"

Railsplitter
04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
the big problem in my opinion with sox fans in this town is that we seem to be looking for some kind of new identity. instead, we should be focusing on the history we have and try to bring it out. now the 7th inning stretch is something WE created, now lets bring it out and shove it down the north side's throat.

Hasn't Nancy Faust been playing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" without an announcer vocals since 1982? We all know the words, and let's show Schlub fans we can do it without being led.

KingXerxes
04-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Just wondering...

Why would the Sox have to ask permission from the Caray family to do it? Harry worked for the Sox...anything he did while being employed by them belongs to MLB and the team not to the Caray family. That includes audio and video.

Now I could see letting Dutchie know ahead of time that the Sox were going to do this as a courtesy but ask for permission?

I don't think they have to.

Doesn't matter anyway since good ole Uncle Jerry would rather die first.

Lip

On a legal front I have no idea as to whether they would need his estate's permission or not to use his image. On a public relations front though, I close my eyes and see the entire Caray extended family at a well attended press conference................well it doesn't take much to figure out the rest of it.

Also - I totally agree that Reinsdorf would sooner be six feet under than actually do it.

DSpivack
04-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Somebody mentioned that the White Sox and Harry Caray didn't exactly part with good terms. What about Harry Caray and the Cardinals?