PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans on Metra

Cellview22
04-26-2004, 12:10 PM
It's always fun taking the Metra home after a Sox game and seeing a ton of other people wearing Sox hats and jerseys on the train next to you. Yesterday I was impressed with all the Sox fans I saw. I've never seen so many Konerko and Magglio jerseys; made me proud to be a Sox fan.

Unfortunately I saw a lot of Cubs hats too; fans coming home from both parks.

I got a little chuckle from this family sitting near me on the train. They were very vocal, talking about how much they love the Cubs and how exciting it would be if they went all the way. And then here's where I got a good laugh: the mother got on her cell phone and started speaking a little louder "Hey Aunt Joan, yeah we had a great day, we had a blast, we just went to a baseball game today so.... yeah it was exciting. And tomorrow we're flying back to Florida, so we'll be home tomorrow night. We've had a blast in Chicago, but we're looking forward to getting home". .. hehe. Yet another tourist invading Wrigley! I could almost guarantee they had no clue another MLB team was playing on the South Side.

FoulkeFan
04-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Great story! It's good to hear that there are Sox fans on the train too. I take the Rock Island line every day to work and have been seeing tons of Cub fans on the way home every day.

I am still convinced that putting a Metra stop at 35th would be a great boon to Sox attendance, but it sounds like that'll never happen.

davidleeroth
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
it was great getting on the el saturday at addison and just seeing sox fans waiting to get on.

ewokpelts
04-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
Great story! It's good to hear that there are Sox fans on the train too. I take the Rock Island line every day to work and have been seeing tons of Cub fans on the way home every day.

I am still convinced that putting a Metra stop at 35th would be a great boon to Sox attendance, but it sounds like that'll never happen.

The Sox want it. It's just an issue of who'll pay for it. IMO, the Sox should pony up 5 mil or so to start the project. It it dosent get done soon, it may never happen, or cost way too much to knock down new contruction.
Gene

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Cellview22
It's always fun taking the Metra home after a Sox game and seeing a ton of other people wearing Sox hats and jerseys on the train next to you. Yesterday I was impressed with all the Sox fans I saw. I've never seen so many Konerko and Magglio jerseys; made me proud to be a Sox fan.

I got a little chuckle from this family sitting near me on the train. They were very vocal, talking about how much they love the Cubs and how exciting it would be if they went all the way. And then here's where I got a good laugh: the mother got on her cell phone and started speaking a little louder "Hey Aunt Joan, yeah we had a great day, we had a blast, we just went to a baseball game today so.... yeah it was exciting. And tomorrow we're flying back to Florida, so we'll be home tomorrow night. We've had a blast in Chicago, but we're looking forward to getting home". .. hehe. Yet another tourist invading Wrigley! I could almost guarantee they had no clue another MLB team was playing on the South Side.

I'm honestly not being jerky here or trying to start an argument. I don't understand what is funny about that. There were tourists from Florida in the city and they went to a Cubs game. I don't get it. Most teams in major cities have tourists at their games. Sox and A's...not so much, because they're overshadowed by their more popular cousins.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
The Sox want it. It's just an issue of who'll pay for it. IMO, the Sox should pony up 5 mil or so to start the project. It it dosent get done soon, it may never happen, or cost way too much to knock down new contruction.
Gene

I agree. I would think the revenue in added tickets sold would more than make up for that within a short period of time. Another public trans stop would only help with building in the area, etc.

na_na_na_na
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Having a metra stop would be key. Right now if you want to ride the train from the southwest side to the Cell. The Redline is your only direct option and that ends at 95th street. If you could take a train strait from Beverly or tinley park that would be a huge incentive to use public transportation.

IlliniSox
04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
A Metra Stop HAS to be done, the Dan Ryan is getting completely gutted this year. It's almost crazy to think people can get home from work, change, and get to the park in time for 7:05.

And $5 mill for a train station? It doesn't have to look like the EL stop (that was fixed up the the All-Star game), just get a platform in there as soon as possible.

Cellview22
04-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Whenever I take the Metra downtown for a Sox game, I get downtown and walk a few blocks north to the Green Line (Clinton station). I take the Green Line to State and there I transfer (free transfer) to the Red Line. There's not that much walking involved, but it would be nicer if you could just take the Metra near the ballpark.

The reason I found that story a bit humorous was because there's so much talk about Wrigley being full of tourists, and that's the reason it's always sold out. It was so stereotypical; I just expected them to be from Lisle or something. They seemed like such diehard Cubs fans but were from Florida. I know you can be a diehard from another state, but come on...cheer on your home team! I realize I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's kind of annoying that all of America is now "Cubs fans".

..maybe you just had to have been there.. :D:

delben91
04-26-2004, 01:18 PM
I know you can be a diehard from another state, but come on...cheer on your home team!

Well, I'm a die-hard Sox fan from Maryland...I suppose I should give it up and just start rooting for the Orioles though...

Cellview22
04-26-2004, 01:38 PM
I often wonder what I would do if I moved to Charlotte or somewhere else. It would be hard to keep up with the Sox. My dad used to live in Chicago and 4 years ago he moved to Atlanta. He couldn't follow the Sox and eventually became a Braves fan :angry: . He still considers himself a Sox fan even though he watches every single Braves game on tv.

How do you follow the Sox? Did you used to live in Chicago? And yeah, I've heard of WGN and MLB packages. :smile:

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 01:41 PM
I often wonder what I would do if I moved to Charlotte or somewhere else. It would be hard to keep up with the Sox. My dad used to live in Chicago and 4 years ago he moved to Atlanta. He couldn't follow the Sox and eventually became a Braves fan :angry: . He still considers himself a Sox fan even though he watches every single Braves game on tv.

How do you follow the Sox? Did you used to live in Chicago? And yeah, I've heard of WGN and MLB packages. :smile:

I was in California for two years, and while it was a little different, between the package on DirecTV, the internet, old friends, etc...it wasn't that bad. I thought things might change, and I went to lots of Angels, Padres, and Dodgers games...none of which captured my interest.

I think you have to have some level of interest in a team for a passion to grow. Just living in the town could do that I guess...didn't for me.

There are some teams in sports that I like...for their various reasons. If I moved to Oakland, I might develop a stronger love for the A's...etc.

CubKilla
04-26-2004, 01:48 PM

One of my good friends from work is a die-hard Cubs fan. He called me after taking in Sunday's Matinee from Wrigley in complete disgust. To sum up what he said, "You think Wrigley was bad before? You should see it now! All these self-proclaimed 'diehards' wearing brand new Cubs hats and brand new Cubs jersey's! Makes me sick. And the worst part? This chick in front of me today asked me who, "Mr. Cub", was during the 7th Inning Stretch. I wouldn't have minded so much if it wasn't for the fact that she was telling everybody within earshot about how long she's been a fan and how Larry Walker was the hottest 2B in the league. I had to tell her Ramon Martinez started at 2B."

My friend's really at wit's end. He's about one or two more experiences like this from switching allegiances I think. Everytime he goes to Wrigley now, he calls to vent afterwards.

:)

CubKilla
04-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
I'm honestly not being jerky here or trying to start an argument. I don't understand what is funny about that. There were tourists from Florida in the city and they went to a Cubs game. I don't get it. Most teams in major cities have tourists at their games. Sox and A's...not so much, because they're overshadowed by their more popular cousins.

Just living up to the stereotype that Wrigley has more frat boys and tourists than diehards at any given game.

iwannago
04-26-2004, 01:54 PM
I grew up near Comiskey Park and then moved to Cal, Tx, In, and finally DC. I'm still a die hard Sox fan. WGN and MLB are great also read the Times and the Trib on the net. Prior to Cable it was horrible. The local newspapers didn't give much more information than a boxscore, however I was able to pick up Sox games on the radio after the sun went down sometimes.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
My friend's really at wit's end. He's about one or two more experiences like this from switching allegiances I think. Everytime he goes to Wrigley now, he calls to vent afterwards.

"Use the Force, CubKilla, use the Force...bring him back from the Dark Side..."

To Cellview22: It should be pretty easy to follow any team from a distance these days. While nothing beats being able to watch the Sox at USCF, I watch most games via the MLB Extra Innings package, and keep up to date on the latest developments in the White Sox universe via WSI, of course!

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Just living up to the stereotype that Wrigley has more frat boys and tourists than diehards at any given game.

I mean, even Cubs fans know that, and hate it. This isn't new news. I think tourists are cool. I think bandwagoneers are dumb.

Brian26
04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I do the reverse commute. Nothing like riding the train back downtown after a long day of work while listening to a bunch of jackass Cub fans pre-partying before the night game.

delben91
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM

I actually have no affiliation with the Chicago area whatsoever. I became a Sox fan because when I was in middle school I thought the black and silver uniforms were cool, and my fandom spawned from that. I've lived in Maryland all my life but will be graduation from college next month and will then be headed to New Jersey.

I get all my Sox games from WGN, but as soon as I get a place in NJ I'll be getting directTV and the Extra Innings package.

FormerKnight
04-26-2004, 02:28 PM

People on here complain about low attendance at Sox games and then turn around and rip on the people in attendance at cub games. You can't have it both ways, if you want big crowds you are going to have to accept a few tourists and non diehard fans.

ewokpelts
04-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Whenever I take the Metra downtown for a Sox game, I get downtown and walk a few blocks north to the Green Line (Clinton station). I take the Green Line to State and there I transfer (free transfer) to the Red Line. There's not that much walking involved, but it would be nicer if you could just take the Metra near the ballpark.

The reason I found that story a bit humorous was because there's so much talk about Wrigley being full of tourists, and that's the reason it's always sold out. It was so stereotypical; I just expected them to be from Lisle or something. They seemed like such diehard Cubs fans but were from Florida. I know you can be a diehard from another state, but come on...cheer on your home team! I realize I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's kind of annoying that all of America is now "Cubs fans".

..maybe you just had to have been there.. :D:

you can take a bus to teh red line from northwestern station...or just take the green line to 35th...no transfer needed
Gene

ewokpelts
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I actually have no affiliation with the Chicago area whatsoever. I became a Sox fan because when I was in middle school I thought the black and silver uniforms were cool, and my fandom spawned from that. I've lived in Maryland all my life but will be graduation from college next month and will then be headed to New Jersey.

I get all my Sox games from WGN, but as soon as I get a place in NJ I'll be getting directTV and the Extra Innings package.

extra innings is worth teh 150...even if you only use it to follow one team...
Gene

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
you can take a bus to teh red line from northwestern station...or just take the green line to 35th...no transfer needed
Gene

I wouldn't necessarily suggest the Green Line for people in small groups or those who don't like to deal with the more deserted areas of town.

Brian26
04-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Gene

It's seriously only a 10 minute walk from Oglive/Northwestern Station to the Red Line. Just skip down Madison from Canal to State. C'mon people...a little walking is good for you.

samram
04-26-2004, 03:53 PM

I actually live in Charlotte now and it's pretty easy to follow the team through MLBTV, the Chicago papers on the net and through WSI for the stuff on the radio shows back in Chicago. They don't talk that much baseball down here, they concentrate on football and NASCAR, and those who follow baseball either like the Braves or Yankees, which sucks. I can also hear WMVP at night-time when games are on, which surprises me because I remember having a really hard-time listening to it when I was in Madison for law school.

thepaulbowski
04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
A Metra Stop HAS to be done, the Dan Ryan is getting completely gutted this year. It's almost crazy to think people can get home from work, change, and get to the park in time for 7:05.

And $5 mill for a train station? It doesn't have to look like the EL stop (that was fixed up the the All-Star game), just get a platform in there as soon as possible.

Too bad they can't use the money they have left from US Cellular sponsorship to do this. That would generate more money than making the seats green or other cosmetic stuff.

maurice
04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
I take the Green Line to work every day. Plenty of folks here take it to the Sox game. The el station is adjacent to Chicago Police Headquarters. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to the Cell past a large vacant lot, the south end of the IIT campus, and the Red Line / Dan Ryan Expressway.

The walk to the Cell from the Red Line is about half the distance, but the Green Line is a bit faster because it has one fewer stop (the Green Line doesn't stop at Cermak). As an additional bonus, the Green Line goes through the new Exelon Tube above the Rem Koolhaas-designed IIT student union.

http://webservices.iit.edu/iit_news/images/MCC/tube_cta_lg.jpg

HomeFish
04-26-2004, 05:49 PM
The Green Line is also a lot less crowded.

I take it to and from virtually every game I go to (often at night) and I've never had problems.

soxwon
04-26-2004, 06:15 PM
was anyone on the blue line going to ohare from washington last wednesday night after the game, a large colored woman, made a scene delaying the train for a half hour at california!!!
was anyone on that car besides me?

vegyrex
04-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
It's seriously only a 10 minute walk from Oglive/Northwestern Station to the Red Line. Just skip down Madison from Canal to State. C'mon people...a little walking is good for you.

That's what I do. :D: