PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Responds

joejacksonsshoes
04-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Just wanted to share an E-mail that I sent to our favorite sportswriter, and his response.

-----Original Message-----
To: jmariotti@suntimes.com
Sent: 4/23/2004 6:52 AM
Subject: give it a rest already

What's up with the vendetta? I could understand if you were a Sox fan and actually gave a damn what they do. Can't you ever write something positive about this team? You know their record is 9-6. Same as your beloved Cubbies. And steroid free. Plus, the Sox have been playing real competion. Also, you and other writers need to accept some responsibility for the empty seats in the upper deck too. You know it ain't that bad up there. I'd much rather watch a game from there than be stuck in one of those seats in the lower deck at Wrigley under the grimey upper deck with it's peeling paint and a pole in front of me, all the time monitoring my intake because I live in fear of actually having
to walk into one of their ratty restrooms. When was the last time the health department visited that place. Would someone please write about that. Speaking of appearances; Wrigley loses half it's charm at night.

Sorry, but the truth is it looks dull and dingy. Kind of like an
emperor with no clothes.

Don Gervain

In a message dated 4/23/2004 4:02:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jmariotti@suntimes.com writes:

Dozens of readers congratulated me for the piece. You're the only one who didn't like it. Face it, the park sucks.

(Am I the only one that didn't like it?)

__________________________________________________ __

To be a Sox fan in this town. FTC

PaleHoseGeorge
04-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by joejacksonsshoes
Just wanted to share an E-mail that I sent to our favorite sportswriter, and his response.

Dozens of readers congratulated me for the piece. You're the only one who didn't like it. Face it, the park sucks.

(Am I the only one that didn't like it?)

That is Jay's stock answer and I know somebody else who got the exact same reply. The fact he employs a stock answer tells you all you need to know about his truthfulness and personal integrity for claiming what he did in his reply.

Now really, who is surprised?

Bobby Thigpen
04-26-2004, 09:24 AM
My question about Mariotti is, Do Cubs fans even like him? I've never met anyone who thought he was a very good reporter. He just seems to continually write negative articles about whatever Chicago franchise he wants and then points to another as what that franchise should do. (Remember last year when he was saying the Sox had all the answers and the Cubs should follow their lead?) He's terrible, and unfortunately he has become Chicago's mouthpiece to the rest of the nation because of his idiotic appearances on that TV show.

jackbrohamer
04-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Guy's worthless, he gets around to offending everyone sooner or later. What's funny is today's column suggesting it's unprofessional to pull for one team or the other, while at the same time settling personal grudges with Reinsdorf and Harrelson.

woodenleg
04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
He said it was "childish" of his fellow writers to pull for their childhood team, or something like that. Then he says that he's tried to extend 'an olive branch'. What a pompous jerk.

However, these hysterical, vitriolic and downright WRONG columns are clearly childish as far as I can tell.
But I'm a Sox fan, so I'm incapable of objectivity.

Cubbiesuck13
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
thanks for the e-mail address, i now have a place to vent.

tebman
04-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
My question about Mariotti is, Do Cubs fans even like him? I've never met anyone who thought he was a very good reporter. He just seems to continually write negative articles about whatever Chicago franchise he wants and then points to another as what that franchise should do. (Remember last year when he was saying the Sox had all the answers and the Cubs should follow their lead?) He's terrible, and unfortunately he has become Chicago's mouthpiece to the rest of the nation because of his idiotic appearances on that TV show.

I've never understood why anybody, no matter what team they
like, would read Mariotti's column. His formula is simple: find the
lead sports story of the day and write a shallow essay that
either says "I told you so" or "This is why this (team, athlete) is
worthy of undisputed praise."

When Bernie Lincicome wrote for the Trib, he often wrote pieces
critical of players and teams, but he had some depth and some
skill as a wordsmith. Mariotti has neither. His writing is like cheap cotton
candy -- it might look good to someone who's never tried it before,
but leaves both an empty taste in your mouth and a sour stomach.

I deal with him by not reading him.

- tebman

Vernam
04-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Last week, after Matsui did his face-out into a blue seat along the leftfield line, Mariotti ranted on his radio show that the Sox are idiots for having such a low wall down there. Now, that wall is padded, and most major leaguers have the sense to use the warning track for its intended purpose. Then I started to think of Wrigley, which has all that unpadded brick. And they just brought the very low wall behind home plate 10 feet closer to the action, without a bit of protection. I know which wall I'd rather run into at full speed! 8^) I forgive Mariotti because his face looks like he ran into a wall himself, so he can't be impartial in this instance!

The essence of why I root for the Sox is that I can't stand being told how to think. I don't mind so much that the Cubs get more than twice as much attention around this town; people show up at Wrigley in droves, so I can understand the media filling their demand for information about their beloved losers. But there's a barely veiled contempt for the South Siders that p*sses me off -- writers sneer at the park, at the fans, at the players, and the owner, mainly for lacking a decent pedigree. Give me a mongrel over a purebred anytime.

The best response to Mariotti and the others who are more skillful at acting on their anti-Sox bias is to get out to the park. It's by far a better place than Wrigley to actually watch a game , and that includes much of the upper deck that the media have spent so much energy criticizing.

rahulsekhar
04-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
He said it was "childish" of his fellow writers to pull for their childhood team, or something like that. Then he says that he's tried to extend 'an olive branch'. What a pompous jerk.

However, these hysterical, vitriolic and downright WRONG columns are clearly childish as far as I can tell.
But I'm a Sox fan, so I'm incapable of objectivity.

For the record, here are the baseball column headlines from Mariotti this year:

Sox-related:
- Ozzie way off base in whining about Cubs
- With Reinsdorf, Sox can't get out of reverse
- Thomas' selfish streak rears its ugly head
- Fans would sing different tune minus Maggs

Sound like a team that's started out pretty hot, played good competition pretty well, is one of the current league leaders, and is playing exciting and chemistry-filled ball?

Cub-related
- So far, Cubs aren't up to the challenge
- Part-time Prior may be enough for Cubs
- State of the Cubs a pressing issue at highest levels
- Maddux cool despite a ragged re-debut
- Baker needs to dust off Prior problem

These are actually relatively balanced.

For completeness, there's also this:
- Yankees trapped in a pressure cooker

Bottom line Jay: It's hard to believe that you're "unbiased" when the only thing you write are at best backhanded compliments about the team. In fact, during big wins, all you find are the potential negatives (which are there for any team in any game). The columns themselves are much more negative than even the headlines are, so the "olive branch" appears to have been poked in the collective eye of the Sox and their fans.

The only real problem is that lazy national media and uninformed Cub fans (i.e. most of them) will actually believe what you write. To actual journalists that would be seen as a public trust requiring the writer to maintain integrity. But since you' don't qualify as a journalist, I guess that doesn't matter to you (obviously).

Johnny Mostil
04-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Dozens of readers congratulated me for the piece.

Holy journalism, Batman, Mariotti has DOZENS of fans? I find the prospect of at least 24 persons wasting their lives that way more appalling than anything he's ever written.

faneidde
04-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Mariotti, or Moronotti as you guys have dubbed him, cannot be the complete idiot that some of you guys make him out to be. Face it, he has his own radio show, is a regular guest on a nationally televised sports show (Around the Horn), and writes a daily column for a pretty prominent newspaper. Some of you guys act like Jay Mariotti robbed your house and stole your bride on your wedding day.

ewokpelts
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Mariotti, or Moronotti as you guys have dubbed him, cannot be the complete idiot that some of you guys make him out to be. Face it, he has his own radio show, is a regular guest on a nationally televised sports show (Around the Horn), and writes a daily column for a pretty prominent newspaper. Some of you guys act like Jay Mariotti robbed your house and stole your bride on your wedding day.

he may have thos ethings, but he doesnt sound intelligent when using those platforms.
Gene

Fridaythe13thJason
04-26-2004, 12:57 PM

Right, he's not a moron. He's quite smart. I don't disagree with posts critiquing his journalistic style. People have that right. However, to not realize that he has turned some smarts into controversy into a blossoming career in EVERYTHING is being silly. I don't know many dumb people that fall into such a career.

inta
04-26-2004, 05:31 PM

he's a sensationalist, plain and simple.
he's a fanatical sports editorialist. he's no more a journalist than rush limbaugh.

joejacksonsshoes
04-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Vernam
Last week, after Matsui did his face-out into a blue seat along the leftfield line, Mariotti ranted on his radio show that the Sox are idiots for having such a low wall down there. Now, that wall is padded, and most major leaguers have the sense to use the warning track for its intended purpose. Then I started to think of Wrigley, which has all that unpadded brick. And they just brought the very low wall behind home plate 10 feet closer to the action, without a bit of protection. I know which wall I'd rather run into at full speed! 8^) I forgive Mariotti because his face looks like he ran into a wall himself, so he can't be impartial in this instance!

The essence of why I root for the Sox is that I can't stand being told how to think. I don't mind so much that the Cubs get more than twice as much attention around this town; people show up at Wrigley in droves, so I can understand the media filling their demand for information about their beloved losers. But there's a barely veiled contempt for the South Siders that p*sses me off -- writers sneer at the park, at the fans, at the players, and the owner, mainly for lacking a decent pedigree. Give me a mongrel over a purebred anytime.

The best response to Mariotti and the others who are more skillful at acting on their anti-Sox bias is to get out to the park. It's by far a better place than Wrigley to actually watch a game , and that includes much of the upper deck that the media have spent so much energy criticizing.

I started this post, but I couldn't have stated my own feelings on this subject any better. This isn't only about two baseball teams.
It is more than perceived, it is a definite lack of fairness and respect in this town. It is condescension. Plain and simple.

To be a Sox fan in this town. (sigh)

F.T.C.

Cubbiesuck13
04-27-2004, 12:23 AM
i shot an e-mail of to the idiot today and recieved one that reffered to him making money and him not understanding sox fans along with him advising me to see a shrink. I responded back telling him that his making money has replaced meaningfull colums (not that he had any but just he is the same as Howard Stern). If anyone wants to read these e-mails or mabye collect all of his responses, let me know. I will be happy to show them.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2004, 12:29 AM

The only fools who congratulated him are the dozens of voices inside his head.

Thanks for bringing this up. He's about to receive another email.

TommyJohn
04-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i shot an e-mail of to the idiot today and recieved one that reffered to him making money and him not understanding sox fans along with him advising me to see a shrink. I responded back telling him that his making money has replaced meaningfull colums (not that he had any but just he is the same as Howard Stern). If anyone wants to read these e-mails or mabye collect all of his responses, let me know. I will be happy to show them.

Whoa, whoa. Let me see if I read you correctly. MARIOTTI
advised you to see a shrink? MARIOTTI??!! Isn't
that kind of like Albert Belle calling Sammy Sosa a cheater?
Coming from a guy that rings up his "enemies" at all hours
of the night and wages personal vendettas in the guise of
"objective journalism" I'd say he must have nerves of steel.

One must keep in mind that he once ranted against Mike Ditka
with words like "psycho" and "lunatic" and stated that the
"whole world" was laughing at us over the Tonya-Nancy affair.
Mike Royko critiqued that column with the retort "...put all sports
columnists on Prozac."

mdep524
04-27-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by tebman
When Bernie Lincicome wrote for the Trib, he often wrote pieces critical of players and teams, but he had some depth and some skill as a wordsmith. Mariotti has neither. His writing is like cheap cotton candy -- it might look good to someone who's never tried it before, but leaves both an empty taste in your mouth and a sour stomach.

I deal with him by not reading him.

- tebman

I just wanted to say that Bernie Lincicombe was one of, if not THE, best sportswriter in this town. He was definitely my favorite. He brought some real class and wit to the Cubune. I'm still sad he left. :(:

hsnterprize
04-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by inta
he's a sensationalist, plain and simple.
he's a fanatical sports editorialist. he's no more a journalist than rush limbaugh. One problem with that statement...Rush Limbaugh doesn't claim to be a journalist. Like him or not, he's a very successful talk-radio host.

gosox41
04-27-2004, 08:08 AM

Marriotti is kind of like Mike North. They say outrageous things to stir people up because it makes them money. They also use the power of the media for their own personal agenda.

For a journalist, Jay and Mike are both scum.

Bob

gosox41
04-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Whoa, whoa. Let me see if I read you correctly. MARIOTTI
advised you to see a shrink? MARIOTTI??!! Isn't
that kind of like Albert Belle calling Sammy Sosa a cheater?
Coming from a guy that rings up his "enemies" at all hours
of the night and wages personal vendettas in the guise of
"objective journalism" I'd say he must have nerves of steel.

One must keep in mind that he once ranted against Mike Ditka
with words like "psycho" and "lunatic" and stated that the
"whole world" was laughing at us over the Tonya-Nancy affair.
Mike Royko critiqued that column with the retort "...put all sports
columnists on Prozac."

Jay isn't being very fan friendly by telling his customers to see a shrink. I mean what if Ozzie came out and said something about Sox fans not showing up to tbe ballpark all need mental help. Jay would have a field day writing up such an unfriendly organizaiton.

Bob

Deadguy
04-27-2004, 12:46 PM
jmariotti@suntimes.com

Great. A certain e-mail address is about to be bombarded with viruses. :)

Lip Man 1
04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
For what it's worth I have contacted him and requested an interview for the site.

Lip

hold2dibber
04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth I have contacted him and requested an interview for the site.

Lip

GREAT idea, Lip. Keep us posted.

cheeses_h_rice
04-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Question #1: Why are you such an asswipe?

Question #2: Why don't you have the balls to come down to US Cellular and actually witness firsthand what it's like to watch a game from the regular seats?

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2004, 04:47 PM

Lip

I hope you are successful in convincing him to allow you to interview him. Not to take anything away from you, Lip, but something tells me that J.J. will say no.

KruseControl04
04-27-2004, 05:53 PM
I just read is article headlined "Ozzie way off base in whining about Cubs". And I've got to say that Marriotti is an idiot. I intentionally stay away from reading his column and don't watch around the horn because I disagree with him about just about everything. The reason I read this article is because I saw the Ozzie quote on ESPN.com and wanted to read the article that it was originally in.

And just for the record, I personally like a manager who's going to say stuff about the Cubs and how unfair the media is in this town, it stirs Sox fans up and gets us even more excited when we pound on the Cubs.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I just wanted to say that Bernie Lincicombe was one of, if not THE, best sportswriter in this town. He was definitely my favorite. He brought some real class and wit to the Cubune. I'm still sad he left. :(:

I liked him too. "Bernie Lincicome" just sounds like a sports writer.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Here's my conversation with our favorite columnist:

Dear J.J.,

I'm a Sox fan and I thought your Friday column pretty much stunk as per
usual. I think it's a travesty that you're employed as a main sports
columnist in this town. If this were a perfect world, you'd be on the
High School football beat in southern Wyoming.

But alas, it isn't, and you keep churning out untrue filth about the
Sox
every chance you get. You think Comiskey sucks? The place is a
gorgeous and comfortable place to watch a game. But you wouldn't know
that from behind your laptop. The renovations are spectacular and
would
be appreciated were it not for you and the other media bozos in this
town refusing to say anything positive about a team that has had
nothing
but positives since this season began--both the team on the field and
the ballpark in which they play.

I was also disturbed by the acute lack of reasonig behind your comment
that the Sox/Yankees series was disappointing attendance-wise. Are you
insane? The average temperature was 48 degrees and the first game was
preceded by veritable monsoons all over the area. And with that said,
they still drew 100,000 for the series, despite that it's April.
Could
you possibly make light of something like that? Of course not.

Keep up the bad work,

Carl Brown

Jay:

I just won first place in the state for column writing. I guess I
should
throw out the trophy because Carl Brown says so.

Me:

In 1994, Yasser Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize...so much for awards.

Some fun times there. Too bad the bum didn't give me the time of day and defend his "work." It's probably because he can't. Or, it could be that he has such a busy schedule, i.e. perpetuating inaccurate garbage on the White Sox. It's not easy being a muckraker.

gosox41
04-28-2004, 08:05 AM

Lip

I bet you he turns you down. He's too much of a wimp. "Dozens of people have congratulated me on that article:. Come on. What a wuss.

Lip, I hope you ask the tough questions of this guy, especially about his hatred of the Sox and why he makes up facts. Make hm squirm.

But like I said, Jay doesn't have the guts to come here. And if he did he'd find someway to rip on us in his articles.

Bob

hose
04-28-2004, 08:41 AM

Lip

What's the point?

Moronotti is on tv, radio and print....what could he tell you that he hasn't already said?

Lip this guy is not only a prick but he is now a broken record.

jackbrohamer
04-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Jay:

should

It is very amusing that he is unable to take an insult without responding, this one reads like a 5-year-old wrote it. Plus what the hell contest is he talking about? "Longest daily column without meaningful content"?

Maybe he's referring to one of his Pulitzers.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
It is very amusing that he is unable to take an insult without responding, this one reads like a 5-year-old wrote it. Plus what the hell contest is he talking about? "Longest daily column without meaningful content"?

Yeah it's very ambiguous and sounds made up.

Dadawg_77
04-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer

No it was Peabody's that the Sun Times won while he wasn't there.

maurice
04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
In 1994, Yasser Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Nice comeback. :gulp:

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 01:23 PM

Once again the professionalism of Moronitti rings true.
I can't wait until the new poll comes out on stadiums & Moronitti
has to deal with the realization that The Cell has moved up in the polls. His use of dozens of readers to make a point shows how small-minded a person he is. The paper has a circulation of about 1/2 a million yet his mind can only fathom dozens congratulating him. That pretty much means the 100's, 1000's, 10,000's, & 100,000's either don't give a crap what he writes or could care less about the subject. Moronitti pick one.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 01:32 PM
As of this writing I have not heard from him.

I think it would be significant to speak with him to find out his reasoning there may be things coming into play that the fans here at WSI do not know about. I also wanted to have the chance to ask if Jerry Reinsdorf in fact, tried to get him fired which only escalated the situation. (I was told that from some of the folks I know at what is now The Sporting News Radio Network. Jay used to work for its predessor One On One Sports...)

I also wanted to get his view on the Sox situation and what if anything could be done to change it to where it was in the 50's and through 1965.

Lip

jabrch
04-28-2004, 01:39 PM

Jay:

should

Me:

In 1994, Yasser Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize...so much for awards.

Very nice! I'd love to hear his next response.

joecrede
04-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Lip,

You being a journalist, I'm curious as to your opinion of Mariotti.

BigFrankFan
04-28-2004, 02:02 PM

I think it would be significant to speak with him to find out his reasoning there may be things coming into play that the fans here at WSI do not know about. I also wanted to have the chance to ask if Jerry Reinsdorf in fact, tried to get him fired which only escalated the situation. (I was told that from some of the folks I know at what is now The Sporting News Radio Network. Jay used to work for its predessor One On One Sports...)

I also wanted to get his view on the Sox situation and what if anything could be done to change it to where it was in the 50's and through 1965.

Lip

Now that's taking the approach there exists some sincerity left in him. I doubt this is true but if you really believe that then this is what you should ask him point blank:

Jay imagine if you will that by some stroke of luck you woke up as the owner of the Chicago White Sox. If you need help just imagine Harry Potter had something to do with it.

For as long as you remained owner of the Chicago White Sox what would you do to increase attendance?

Now his reply to that should spell out his sincerity.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Joe:

It depends on what point of view you are taking. (I'm not trying to be nebulous...)

As a columnist, he is doing what he is supposed to be doing, writing his opinions. Remember columnist don't have to be accurate or fair, they are expressing their opinions.

As an employee of the Sun-Times I don't think there is any question management is happy with him and what he does or he wouldn't still be employed by them. Remember the Sun-Times is here to make money. I understand the point about 'journalistic integrity,' but like everything else in the world, that has gone by the way side. Under the guidelines of the profession today Mariotti is doing his job and generating tremendous interest in his company. (I can't speak for his radio or TV interests and often wonder if there is a conflict of interest there. For example if he comes across a real scoop, whom does his first loyalty lie with?)

As a White Sox fan obviously some of the things he writes bothers me because I think they are untrue but even here I'm conflicted. He has a personal vendetta against Jerry Reinsdorf. I think that anything that can be done to destory the owner and force him to leave ultimately is a good thing in the long run for the franchise. Call it suffering in the here and now for a promising future.

That opinion is a gamble of course because the franchise could be so destroyed that nobody will want it in the future. All I can say is that unless the status quo is changed nothing is going to get better so I'm willing to take that risk. Say I'm willing to make the deal with the devil.

On a human level, I think Jay is arrogant, vindictive and snobbish. But perhaps he's earned those traits, he's obviously a success where I'm not. Successful people can do what they want as long as they remain successful.

Like I said it's a complex question.

Lip

hsnterprize
04-29-2004, 07:06 AM

Lip Lip...

I can vouch for that individual. I worked at the radio network formerly known as One on One Sports, and Jay used to host a Saturday morning show there. I can also tell you I tried to talk with him one day while we were in the press box...obviously, we weren't working together, but he was there. I tried to ask him a couple of questions about his article about why, in his words, "Sox fans are better than Cubs fans." He wouldn't even talk to me, or even acknowledge me when I approched him. Why...I don't know.

gosox41
04-29-2004, 08:09 AM

Lip

The only thing that will come out of Jay is this grudge he's carried wit h him for years that allows him to carry on his personal vandetta. Why doesn't he be a man and take it up with JR instead of writing moronic articles.

Bob