PDA

View Full Version : the big hurt


cburns
04-26-2004, 01:41 AM
Is anyone else disappointed to see that Frank hasn't played any first base this season? Maybe they could give Konerko days off, and make Gload the DH, while Frank plays first. He is a much better hitter when he plays first. I'm sure everyone has seen his stats when he plays first compared to when he is the DH. Plus it will give him more legitmacy as a player if he can log some games at first. What everyone else's opinion on this?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
i'd rather see the better defenseman at 1st, not the better hitter. paulie is a genius at digging out some bad throws from either whoever is playing 2nd or s.s. just because frank has show a statistical improvement at 1st doesn't mean much anyway...how many at bats does he have at 1st as opposed DH? plus with his tricky hamstring i don't think we need him doing the splits over at 1st anytime soon.

Dan Gelo
04-26-2004, 02:46 AM
Not to mention, he just got over a hamstring injury. I don't want him reinjuring it stretching to make a pick.

cburns
04-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Well obviously I wouldn't want him to be playing first base right now with a bum hammy. I thought I implied that. So, when he is healthy would you want to see him playing first?

SSN721
04-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by cburns
Well obviously I wouldn't want him to be playing first base right now with a bum hammy. I thought I implied that. So, when he is healthy would you want to see him playing first?

I dont know, as much as I would have before the way this year has started out it looks like we have turned more double plays and made more difficult outs because we had Paulie playing first base. I have to say he is a hell of a defensive first baseman. I think if we had Frank playing first in a few of the games we won we might not have due to poor defensive play. I think Frank will come around and he already has a great OBP, the hitting will come around soon enough.

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
i'd rather see the better defenseman at 1st, not the better hitter. paulie is a genius at digging out some bad throws from either whoever is playing 2nd or s.s. just because frank has show a statistical improvement at 1st doesn't mean much anyway...how many at bats does he have at 1st as opposed DH? plus with his tricky hamstring i don't think we need him doing the splits over at 1st anytime soon.

LOL! The Paulie is a better defender argument always amazes me. If he were half the defensive 1B people claim he is, then he'd be league average. He has NO range, is average at digging stuff out and his footwork is actually worse than Frank's.

Still, I imagine we would have seen Frank a time or two this season if he hadn't tweaked his hammy. Now they are going to be extra careful with him for a while.

gosox41
04-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by cburns
Is anyone else disappointed to see that Frank hasn't played any first base this season? Maybe they could give Konerko days off, and make Gload the DH, while Frank plays first. He is a much better hitter when he plays first. I'm sure everyone has seen his stats when he plays first compared to when he is the DH. Plus it will give him more legitmacy as a player if he can log some games at first. What everyone else's opinion on this?

I think Frank should be the everday first baseman for this team, as long as his hamstring can handle it.

I'ms still hoping the Sox trade PK for pitching and move Frank back to first a majority of the time.


Bob

sas1974
04-26-2004, 08:05 AM
He's going to get plenty of reps during interleague play and some before it as a tune up.

wdelaney72
04-26-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm disappointed, but not surprised. With Gload on the roster, he will be the one to spell Paulie.

His hammy, I'm sure made the decision a bit easier for Ozzie. Still, I hope he gets some time before interleague play starts.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2004, 08:39 AM
The only thing Paulie does better then Frank is throwing the ball.

cburns
04-26-2004, 10:29 AM
I really don't think that Frank is that bad of a first baseman. The only glaring weakness in his play at first is his throwing. He has always had a hard time going back to second with the ball. It is true that Konerko has made a lot of nice digs this year, but most first baseman are capable of making the same kind of plays.