PDA

View Full Version : A few Boards saying about Maggs Contract

joeynach
04-26-2004, 01:39 AM
I have on a few boards heard Maggs and his agent aren't biting on JR's supposed offer of 4 years at 58 mil due not only to the demand of 5 years but the numerous incentive cluases in the contract. This is basically what put us out of the bidding for colon. Apparently the 3 year 36 mil deal to colon was full on incentives on innings pitched, ERA, and cy young voting and such. Not without cuase becuase he is an aging overweight guy who basically underperformed on his time here. But nevertheless we screwed ourselves with it. I would abosultely hate if the contract to Maggs was full of this many games played, this many rbi's and hr's, and mvp voting incentive clauses. I find that disrespectful to a player like Maggs, he is homegorwn and has basically overperformed his entire career here. If this is true and Maggs seeks a new team becuase of it, like colon, will be disgusted with the front office and call upon a total reform ALA 1990 soviet union.

pinwheels3530
04-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Look out for the diminished skill clause!

doublem23
04-26-2004, 05:10 AM
Maggs is overweight? That, and Colon is a bad example, IMO, KW and JR offered him one of the most lucrative contracts in franchise history but Moreno in Anaheim just went insane and spent money on everybody he could find.

soxtalker
04-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
... I find that disrespectful to a player like Maggs, he is homegorwn and has basically overperformed his entire career here. If this is true and Maggs seeks a new team becuase of it, like colon, will be disgusted with the front office and call upon a total reform ALA 1990 soviet union.

I don't read it that way at all. JR respects Maggs plenty. If he didn't, the offer would be much lower. This is a pretty big one over a long time period, and JR is just trying to mitigate his risk. I'm sure that he hopes that Maggs attains those incentives, because that means that Maggs will be playing up to the level that we all want to see. But if he doesn't for some reason (e.g., unexpected injury), we'll all be looking at that salary as an albatross. Think of the issues we've had around Paulie and Koch -- then magnify them.

jabrch
04-26-2004, 11:59 AM
I have on a few boards heard Maggs and his agent aren't biting on JR's supposed offer of 4 years at 58 mil due not only to the demand of 5 years but the numerous incentive cluases in the contract. This is basically what put us out of the bidding for colon. Apparently the 3 year 36 mil deal to colon was full on incentives on innings pitched, ERA, and cy young voting and such. Not without cuase becuase he is an aging overweight guy who basically underperformed on his time here. But nevertheless we screwed ourselves with it. I would abosultely hate if the contract to Maggs was full of this many games played, this many rbi's and hr's, and mvp voting incentive clauses. I find that disrespectful to a player like Maggs, he is homegorwn and has basically overperformed his entire career here. If this is true and Maggs seeks a new team becuase of it, like colon, will be disgusted with the front office and call upon a total reform ALA 1990 soviet union.

No disrespect intended Joey, but until I see it somewhere credible, I don't buy it. A few internet message boards are not sources that I will accept yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he put some incentives in the deal, but it also wouldn't bother me much either if that was how he got to 58$ 14.5mm per year is a lot of money to pay Magglio. 12 was enough for anaheim to sign Garrett Anderson who is nearly the same player as Magglio. If JR puts the deal up with 12mm in base, and 2.5mm in incentives, I have absolutley no problem with that.

If we offered him a deal with a base equal to GA, and incentives to bring it much higher, and he turns it down, then goodbye Magglio, we will miss you - but Jeremy Reed would be our starting RF next year and we'd have 14mm to spend on something else - CF? SS? SP? RP?

joeynach
04-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
No disrespect intended Joey, but until I see it somewhere credible, I don't buy it. A few internet message boards are not sources that I will accept yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he put some incentives in the deal, but it also wouldn't bother me much either if that was how he got to 58$ 14.5mm per year is a lot of money to pay Magglio. 12 was enough for anaheim to sign Garrett Anderson who is nearly the same player as Magglio. If JR puts the deal up with 12mm in base, and 2.5mm in incentives, I have absolutley no problem with that.

If we offered him a deal with a base equal to GA, and incentives to bring it much higher, and he turns it down, then goodbye Magglio, we will miss you - but Jeremy Reed would be our starting RF next year and we'd have 14mm to spend on something else - CF? SS? SP? RP?

I know that the Message boards are not credible sources. It merely brought to my attention a new aspect of the whole issue. Im not trying to say that this is true or anything, just trying to see what everyone has to say about. If there is any truth or how does one interpret this info.

CubKilla
04-26-2004, 12:28 PM
I have on a few boards heard Maggs and his agent aren't biting on JR's supposed offer of 4 years at 58 mil due not only to the demand of 5 years but the numerous incentive cluases in the contract. This is basically what put us out of the bidding for colon.

This would be a complete shock if true!

CubKilla
04-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
KW and JR offered him one of the most lucrative contracts in franchise history

Lucrative if you're the actual Cy Young

jabrch
04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Lucrative if you're the actual Cy Young

Yeah, 12mm per year - thats chump change

Paulwny
04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
I would abosultely hate if the contract to Maggs was full of this many games played, this many rbi's and hr's, and mvp voting incentive clauses. .

MLB does not allow incentive clauses based on offensive numbers, hits, rbi's, hr's etc.
MLB does allow incentive clauses for games, ab's, all star, mvp voting, etc.