PDA

View Full Version : Tom Shaer, CLTV sports page on sox attendance

pinwheels3530
04-26-2004, 01:09 AM
On sports page roundtable discussion Tom Shaer, Mike Bloomberg, and Dan Zampela all stuck up for sox fans on the attendance issue. When I first saw the topic being discussed I thought great where going to get ripped again, but Bloomberg came out and said "I am tired of this discussion , it's over blown" He also said there are plenty of sox fans out there that tv and radio ratings (which are up) prove that. Tom Shaer said he went to 31 sox games last year with his son and "has never had a problem at the park (take that Mariotti) the renovations are great, fans will come out when the weather is warm and kids are out of school." He also said the attendance issue is no different than any other team around the league for April and May. I know everyone here has discussed this before, but it's good to see some media members talk positive about the sox and their fans! :smile:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-26-2004, 01:28 AM
cue the choir!

*HALLELUJAH*

It's about damn time. This attendance issue us something we should not have to be reminded of. Sox fans are different than the fans of that other team in town. I won't get into it because we all know what I mean!

:woo-woo
I DON'T!!!!

Anyway, if you build it, they will come. The renovations alone won't bring the fans to the park. A winner will, and if you combine a winner with warm weather, you will be looking at near sellouts.

:gulp: Here's to the good times that are sure to come!

Iwritecode
04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Wow, if this thread isn't representative that Sox fans dwell on the negative, I don't know what is.

A thread about the media FINALLY defending the attendance at the ballpark and it only gets one response? Two now counting this one.

Man, start up a thread where someone disses the attendance and it gets a tomato award...

:?:

sas1974
04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Wow, if this thread isn't representative that Sox fans dwell on the negative, I don't know what is.

A thread about the media FINALLY defending the attendance at the ballpark and it only gets one response? Two now counting this one.

Man, start up a thread where someone disses the attendance and it gets a tomato award...

I was just going to mention the same thing. That is ridiculous. The topic of this thread however is very encouraging. It's nice to see someone finally stick up for us, and on CLTV of all places.

zach23
04-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Let's all send out a big thank you to Tom Shaer.

KingXerxes
04-26-2004, 11:10 AM
White Sox attendance is fine, the problem is that too many people view it in light of the attendance over at Wrigley Field - and that's where the attitude comes from.

For the past three years, all I ever tell people is that the White Sox need to develop their own identity. For the past ten years or so it has become increasing apparent that we're collectively turning into "The Anti-Cubs" as opposed to The White Sox. This has only been helped along by - what I feel - are really, really stupid comments coming from Reinsdorf (and now Guillen) which only grease the skids down this road.

The organization needs to "turn inward" as it were, and start advertising themselves as an American League team and start trying to develop rivalries against teams that are here most of the summer - and stop popping off about the overwhelming importance of six games against the Cubs each year. Let the fans do the popping off.

The fact that there seems to be a fan obsession with things going wrong is due in no small part to the way this team is packaged and sold. When the owners and the lackeys are moaners, what can you realistically expect?

sas1974
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The fact that there seems to be a fan obsession with things going wrong is due in no small part to the way this team is packaged and sold. When the owners and the lackeys are moaners, what can you realistically expect?

You make great points. I wish the sox would more of a "Sox-centric" approach to PR and marketing. The problem is that a lot of people here go a long way towards further reinforcing the notion that Sox fans are whiners and complainers. There is almost always a thread or two going about one or more of these:[list=1]
The attendance
The media
The Cubs
The color of our uniforms
The color of the seats
The ticket prices
[/list=1]

pinwheels3530
04-26-2004, 11:43 AM
To be more Sox-entric it has to also start with the fans themselves when I first found this site i was ecstatic to be able to talk to other fans but then you have guys like Hanger who just talk about the cubs it's very discouraging. I want my 5yr old son to be a sox fan not a cub hater, I don't want him going through the same thing this generation of sox fans go through feeling like second class baseball fans, that's why we have to turn it around now!