PDA

View Full Version : Lemme tell ya somethin, Jesse...

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Hawk was on the Score Sunday night (tonight) about 9 and he said some interesting things about Guillen and reiterated his anti-Mariotti stance. He also did some more 'hinting' about Manuel's shortcomings, saying that "I'm not gonna curtail my praise for Ozzie to protect the former manager."

One bold statement he made was that he doesn't think Jerry Reinsdorf will hire another Sox manager in his lifetime. He obviously thinks very highly of the guy. Or he might just think someone's going to assassinate Reinsdorf within the next year or two.

munchman33
04-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He obviously thinks very highly of the guy. Or he might just think someone's going to assassinate Reinsdorf within the next year or two.

Can't it be both?

Dub25
04-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Hawk was on the Score Sunday night (tonight) about 9 and he said some interesting things about Guillen and reiterated his anti-Mariotti stance. He also did some more 'hinting' about Manuel's shortcomings, saying that "I'm not gonna curtail my praise for Ozzie to protect the former manager."

One bold statement he made was that he doesn't think Jerry Reinsdorf will hire another Sox manager in his lifetime. He obviously thinks very highly of the guy. Or he might just think someone's going to assassinate Reinsdorf within the next year or two.

Maybe Hawk does the dirty deed.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap...

Lip

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap...

Lip

:hawk
"Lip, I may be many things, pretty, witty, charming, urbane and easy, but I am NEVER cheap..."

gosox41
04-26-2004, 08:28 AM

Just when I start to respect Hawk for standing up to Marriotti, he pulls this hinting of JM's shortcomings. Hawk, where were you the last 3 years. You were prasing the team and hyping up everything. What a joke. It doesn't take a real man to criticize someone after he's gone.

Bob

jabrch
04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
One bold statement he made was that he doesn't think Jerry Reinsdorf will hire another Sox manager in his lifetime.

Either way, this is a good thing for us, huh? Either Ozzie is good enough to last a long time - OR JR isn't around to hire again.

wdelaney72
04-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Keep in mind, JR is not a young man. Perhaps he has planned out his retirement.

This, however, would not necessarity mean he would sell the time. Maybe he's grooming his son to take over.

mrwag
04-26-2004, 09:15 AM
What do you think he is going to do when on national television? Come out and say the manager is a POS and doesn't know what he's doing? Of course not. He's going to back his team - as he should. I know he has dropped subtle suggestions that he doesn't support a manager or players decisions during games. I think he can be more candid after games on radio calls, etc., and that's fine.

You anti-Hawkers can say what you want, but the Hawk is a Sox fan and there's no way anyone could fill his shoes. It will be a sad day for Sox fans when Hawk is no longer in the booth. I've been listening/watching Harrelson since the early 80's and I cannot imagine watching a Sox game without him.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Is Hawk liking you a good thing? Does anyone remeber his track record with managers? Didn't he push for Tony to get the boot?

kermittheefrog
04-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Is Hawk liking you a good thing? Does anyone remeber his track record with managers? Didn't he push for Tony to get the boot?

I thought Hawk fired LaRussa when Hawk was GM.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Just when I start to respect Hawk for standing up to Marriotti, he pulls this hinting of JM's shortcomings. Hawk, where were you the last 3 years. You were prasing the team and hyping up everything. What a joke. It doesn't take a real man to criticize someone after he's gone.

Bob

Hawk is ordered to be a company man by Reinsdorf, so you have to account for that. Announcers aren't allowed to trash the team, and Hawk especially isn't allowed to. But you can tell he wasn't too fond of Manuel last year. He questioned his moves, albeit subtly, on many occasions. Even now, he isn't all-out bashing Manuel, that's not what I meant to send across. He's classier than that. The only reason I brought it up is it's such a monumental occasion whenever Hawk admits the slightest failure of Sox personell.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Didn't Hawk also say Willie Harris would make fans forget Roberto Alomar?

Lip

fquaye149
04-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Didn't Hawk also say Willie Harris would make fans forget Roberto Alomar?

Lip

he has. willie is nearly (if not completely) as good a second baseman for us as robbie was. what, arne't they both hitting about 2 bills with no power and a modicum of steals?