PDA

View Full Version : The Premise Of Guillen Talk

SEALgep
04-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Guillen joked about how his own English could have been stronger if not for the influence of one of his closest confidantes.

"My best friend is Bainesy [bench coach Harold Baines], and he never said anything," Guillen quipped. "That's why my English is broken."

We finally know the truth. It's Harold's fault. :D: This is probably a real reason why too, pretty funny. Ozzie talk doesn't bother me at all, I can understand what he's saying fine. Funny quote though. :smile:

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Guillen joked about how his own English could have been stronger if not for the influence of one of his closest confidantes.

"My best friend is Bainesy [bench coach Harold Baines], and he never said anything," Guillen quipped. "That's why my English is broken."

We finally know the truth. It's Harold's fault. :D: This is probably a real reason why too, pretty funny. Ozzie talk doesn't bother me at all, I can understand what he's saying fine. Funny quote though. :smile:

They should make a commercial series on Sox player/coach personalities. Show Baines doing awkward standup comedy. That would be hilarious. "Comedy was never my thing...fortunately, I know the game of baseball."

DrummerGeorgefan
04-25-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
They should make a commercial series on Sox player/coach personalities. Show Baines doing awkward standup comedy. That would be hilarious. "Comedy was never my thing...fortunately, I know the game of baseball."

Hey since Rob Gallas is gone, it looks like the job is yours.....

Railsplitter
04-25-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep

I've never had trouble undertanding Ozzie. Though if he were interviewed by some TV news oraganizations, they would probably subtitle him, the way they do any non U.S. accent.

DrCrawdad
04-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I've never had trouble undertanding Ozzie. Though if he were interviewed by some TV news oraganizations, they would probably subtitle him, the way they do any non U.S. accent.

Putting English subtitles on the screen while Ozzie talked would be very funny. However I can see where some one could get offended.

Boers & Bernstein do something close to that with the Ozzie translator, or whatever it is they call it. It's pretty funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Ozzie may be hard to understand, but listening to Jerry Manuel's droning mumbles after each Sox game were every bit as unintelligible. At least Ozzie seems to have a point to what he is saying (though it is debatable whether Ozzie is right about his point). That's more than what Manuel usually had.

As I've stated before, Manuel *regressed* as a manager the longer he held the job. The last two seasons there wasn't anything he said that had a lick of meaning behind it.

:jerry
"Mxlidku siad isd a cis acddy. Adi cisto coliwie."

South Side
04-25-2004, 09:16 AM
I think it is hilarious how Ozzie starts every interview off with "I tell you what"... Someone should start a count of every time he says it.

The Critic
04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

I can also understand Oz just fine, but I have to admit, when he gets the MPH up a little, his words have a tendency to run together. It makes for HIGH comedy, though....Oz is great!

Brian26
04-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by South Side
I think it is hilarious how Ozzie starts every interview off with "I tell you what"... Someone should start a count of every time he says it.

I've also noticed that he calls everyone a "kid".

He uses the word "kid" in every damn interview.

southsidegirl
04-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Check out my new sig dudes....

Unregistered
04-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
Check out my new sig dudes.... Time to update.

(from a column on the Trib website today)

"This kid can be one of the best players in the American League pretty soon," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "He reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr., with more enthusiasm. This kid is going to be special."

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Time to update.

"[Willie Harris ] can be one of the best players in the American League pretty soon," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "He reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr., with more enthusiasm. This kid is going to be special."

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Time to update.

"This kid can be one of the best players in the American League pretty soon," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "He reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr., with more enthusiasm. This kid is going to be special."
Who is he talking about? Carl Crawford? Or someone on the White Sox?

Unregistered
04-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Who is he talking about? Carl Crawford? Or someone on the White Sox? Oh yeah, sorry about that - He's talking about Crawford. I was just pointing out that he said "kid" a few more times... :D:

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah, sorry about that - He's talking about Crawford. I was just pointing out that he said "kid" a few more times... :D:

Well, Ozzie ain't much of a scout. Fortunately a manager doesn't need to be.

scottyl
04-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Ozzie's quotes make reading the sports columns and listening to the post-game interviews entertaining. He's got the ability to be insightful and funny on the fly--like Charles Barkley on TNT.