PDA

View Full Version : Who here is sick of Wright?

SoxBoy14
04-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I say put Cotts or someone else at that 5th spot, but for gods sake put Wright in the bull pen where he can do some good.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 08:31 PM
His best performance in 2 years and you want to dump him?

He deserves at least one more shot. He pitched well today.

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Agreed, I've never liked danny in the rotation, but he pitched real well today, and he definitely deserves another shot.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 08:34 PM

Agreed. Wright should not be a scapegoat today. He earned another start.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 08:34 PM

I agree. Today's loss was not Wright's fault. He did a nice job, and I think this outing could go a long way towards boosting his confidence. He deseves to remain in the rotation for the time being.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Danny did his job and kept us in the game. You're not going to win too many by scoring 1 run.

mdep524
04-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Agreed, I've never liked danny in the rotation, but he pitched real well today, and he definitely deserves another shot.

If he was pitching "so well" today, then why did he only last 5 1/3 innings?? The answer is that he is just not a starter, period. This was his best outing of the year and he couldn't make it though the 6th innning. He needs to be in the bullpen, and that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad pitcher, just one that isn't a starter.

Daver
04-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
If he was pitching "so well" today, then why did he only last 5 1/3 innings?? The answer is that he is just not a starter, period. This was his best outing of the year and he couldn't make it though the 6th innning. He needs to be in the bullpen, and that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad pitcher, just one that isn't a starter.

He won 14 games as a starter in 2002.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mdep524

I think that Oz didn't want to take a chance on him having the notorious "bad inning" that Danny is famous for, which would have destroyed any confidence he may have built up in the first 5 innings.

Unfortunately he is fragile and needs to be handled with kid-gloves. Not necessarily a trait you want in a starting pitcher, but he did well up to that point. No sense in taking a chance on a meltdown.

He very well may not be able to cut it, but today was not his fault. He should get at least one more start after today.

mdep524
04-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Granted, he won 14 games in '02, and he's been riding on that ever since. Well, times change. He has failed to complete 6 innings in each of his starts so far this season- how long do we continue to give him another chance because of what he did two years ago? And what about last season, after he came back he was much more successful as a starter than as a reliever.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2004, 11:02 PM
When Jack McDowell was in his prime in the early 90's I always had the feeling that on the day he pitched, the Sox were going to win. Jack himself told me that some of his teammates in those days would say the same thing to him..I have never had that feeling before or since with a Sox pitcher. It was probably a combination of Jack's talent and the fact that the Sox were a good team.

Now in Danny Wright's case I get the exact opposite feeling, that whenever he pitches, the Sox lose.

It doesn't matter if he gives up two runs in seven innings or eight runs in four innings, the Sox somehow lose.

I think some of the Sox themselves feel the same way and start to press whenever he pitches.

You can say what you want about Wright but the fact is that he has lost ten of his last eleven decisions over the past two seasons. His only win, I think, was in relief during that span.

How many chances do you give this guy? How many games are you willing to lose trying to prove a point?

The even greater crime is the fact that the Sox have basically nobody to replace him. Shades of Gary Glover in the rotation in 2002, and the Sox themselves in 1996 and 2003. Both times the lack of a solid 5th starter murdered them and cost them playoffs spots.

How often does it have to happen before the organization (and some fans) learn?

Lip

joecrede
04-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Looking at the roster in terms of a pecking order, nothing should be done with Wright until they do something with Harris. I'd put Wright job security at about the same level as Rowand's.

voodoochile
04-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
When Jack McDowell was in his prime in the early 90's I always had the feeling that on the day he pitched, the Sox were going to win. Jack himself told me that some of his teammates in those days would say the same thing to him..I have never had that feeling before or since with a Sox pitcher. It was probably a combination of Jack's talent and the fact that the Sox were a good team.

Now in Danny Wright's case I get the exact opposite feeling, that whenever he pitches, the Sox lose.

It doesn't matter if he gives up two runs in seven innings or eight runs in four innings, the Sox somehow lose.

I think some of the Sox themselves feel the same way and start to press whenever he pitches.

You can say what you want about Wright but the fact is that he has lost ten of his last eleven decisions over the past two seasons. His only win, I think, was in relief during that span.

How many chances do you give this guy? How many games are you willing to lose trying to prove a point?

The even greater crime is the fact that the Sox have basically nobody to replace him. Shades of Gary Glover in the rotation in 2002, and the Sox themselves in 1996 and 2003. Both times the lack of a solid 5th starter murdered them and cost them playoffs spots.

How often does it have to happen before the organization (and some fans) learn?

Lip

I'd give him 3 more starts and see what happens. If he doesn't start consistently looking like the DW we saw yesterday, then they need to try someone else. Rauch, Adkins and Cotts all come to mind.

The Critic
04-25-2004, 09:39 AM
He hasn't done badly, for the most part.
Every starter but Schoeneweis has had a rough outing or two.
My panic button is still under the protective glass, and my finger doesn't even itch yet.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Joe Goaddard has a story about Wright in the Sunday Sun Times and for what it's worth says that Wright is going to stay in the rotation party 'because no one else is really available...'

To me that's a greater crime then Wright's ineffectiveness. The Sox just don't seem to grasp the concept that as Hal says, you can never have enough pitching.

The reason for that is obvious to me...pitching costs money and the Sox of course can't afford it. (cough, cough, nudge, nudge, wink, wink....say no more!)

Lip

kermittheefrog
04-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Lip is correct when he says there really isn't anyone else available to start. We really don't have any pitching depth at all. More than anything else we need to see a few young pitchers be they prospects like Felix Diaz or guys already on the staff like Neal Cotts, to take some sort of leap forward. As for not having enough money to have pitching, Kip Wells would look good in a Sox uniform right now and he's barely hitting arbitration. Even Josh Fogg would be a useful arm to have in the pen.

SoxBoy14
04-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I think Wright would be a great relief pitcher. He really hasn't stepped up to a starter like Scheonweis did, although he had a good game yesterday. I say he's had plenty of times to prove he's a starter, lets give Cotts a chance.

kermittheefrog
04-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I think Wright would be a great relief pitcher. He really hasn't stepped up to a starter like Scheonweis did, although he had a good game yesterday. I say he's had plenty of times to prove he's a starter, lets give Cotts a chance.

To you and anyone else who wants to see Cotts as a starter. Do you remember how bad he looked as a starter last year? So far this year he has walked five batters in seven innings. I don't think he's ready to start major league games yet.

Mohoney
04-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Daver

WITH AN ERA OVER 5! HE NEVER THROWS STRIKE ONE! NEVER HAS!

RafaelC
04-26-2004, 05:55 AM
He pitched well last game but i dont trust in him.

voodoochile
04-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
WITH AN ERA OVER 5! HE NEVER THROWS STRIKE ONE! NEVER HAS!

HE DID ON SATURDAY!

THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS ON THE LEFT BELOW THE "TAB BUTTON" AND ABOVE THE "SHIFT BUTTON"!

Etownsox13
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know when robert person is due back from the dl?

Bobby Thigpen
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Isn't he out the whole season and didn't the Sox cut him?