PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: "slumping white sox"

Huisj
04-24-2004, 07:21 PM
on ESPN's scoreboard page (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard?date=20040424) , the headline for the story about the game today calls the sox the "slumping" white sox. is their definition of slumping 1 loss? because before today's game, i seem to remember the sox winning two in a row, they're 7-3 over their last 10 games.

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2004, 07:24 PM
We've lost 3 of 5 and haven't been very strong, offensively, at all. It's not a huge slump, but we've definitely fallen off since our strong start.

Viva Magglio
04-24-2004, 07:34 PM
We're not playing as well offensively as I would like, but I don't think we're in a slump. Now if we trouble hitting the terrible Jeremi Gonzalez Sunday, then I'll be concerned.

MRKARNO
04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
9 Runs in the past four games indicates a slump to me. We've been able to manage 2 wins in this period, but it still sucks.

SoxFan76
04-24-2004, 07:47 PM
If this is considered a slump, I'm looking forward to the rest of this season. A lot of teams would like to have this kind of a slump. The initial shock of the new manager seems to be fading, I have a feeling the White Sox are due for another kick start from our new manager.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 07:49 PM
When baseball starts awarding extra "style points" in the win column for the way you achieve your victories, I'll start fussing about the winning ugly Sox.

:lsox

depy48
04-24-2004, 07:49 PM
i think its hard to debate the our hitting isnt in a slump. today it seemed like they didnt even want basehits...just get walked. it truly was corpseball

depy48
04-24-2004, 07:50 PM
plus, we're playing at home
we dont lose games like this IN OUR HOUSE!

JRIG
04-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by depy48
i think its hard to debate the our hitting isnt in a slump. today it seemed like they didnt even want basehits...just get walked. it truly was corpseball

I'd be thrilled if they actually went up to the plate with an idea to take pitches and maybe get walked. But that's not how this team works. Only two walks today.

DSpivack
04-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I'd be thrilled if they actually went up to the plate with an idea to take pitches and maybe get walked. But that's not how this team works.

With the exception of the Big Work [around the count].

Railsplitter
04-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Employing
Stupid
People
Nightly

SoxFan76
04-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Employing
Stupid
People
Nightly

What about the insightful Peter Gammons?

Lip Man 1
04-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Railsplitter says: "Employing
Stupid
People
Nightly "

and they are laughing all the way to the bank especially because something so trivial upsets you!

Lip

npdempse
04-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Our run production is in the dumps. But there seems to be a pattern where our bats just die when the weather is cold--does Retrosheet have gametime temps? Research is needed. Anyway, I expect the bats to start warming tomorrow with the weather, be real hot by midweek when HRs start raining into power alley.

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Our run production is in the dumps. But there seems to be a pattern where our bats just die when the weather is cold--does Retrosheet have gametime temps? Research is needed. Anyway, I expect the bats to start warming tomorrow with the weather, be real hot by midweek when HRs start raining into power alley.

Not only do the Devil Rays players spend a sizeable chunk of their outside lives in the hottest, humidest place on earth, when they do play ball it's in a controlled environment. How come they can score 4 runs in the cold and we can't? I'm not disputing your theory, that actually sounds about right for the White Sox not to be able to hit in cold weather. It's always something stupid we have to go through.

red faber
04-25-2004, 05:34 AM
i don't know about you guys,but if the sox could win 10 out of every 17 games they play this year,i'd be extremely happy with that.

doublem23
04-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by red faber
i don't know about you guys,but if the sox could win 10 out of every 17 games they play this year,i'd be extremely happy with that.

But ESPN would say we were in a slump, and we can't have that.

jabrch
04-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by red faber

That would be a 95 win season. I'd be THRILLED - we'd likely have the home field advantage in our first playoff series.