PDA

View Full Version : Two things about today's game...

gosox41
04-24-2004, 06:28 PM
I was at the game today, so if this has been discussed, I apologize.

First, why was Ross Gload batting third? You've got to kidding. This is a JM move, not an Ozzie Guillen move. Now I understand that Magglio needs a day off. I have no problem with that. Nor do I have a problem with playing Gload. But the way I believe you play is you put your best hitter third. If Magglio is not in the line up that would mean Frank. If not Frank, then let Lee bat third and Frank 4th.

The line up should have been:

3. Frank
4. Lee
5. Konerko
6. Gload

I don't care that Gload is hot. He is a 27 year old, unproven rookie. Don't bat him third. For the record I made a comment like this to the people I was with at the game today. I mentioned how dumb of an idea this was, especially consdering Uribe has been hot lately and is due to cool off and Perez isn't exactly an offensive on-base machine.

The other thing that bothered me was in the 6th inning when Ozzie sent up a pinch hitter. Unless Magglio is hurt, there's little doubt who the best hitter on the bench is; and it's not Rowand.

Today's game was like watching our C line up out there. No surprise we lost.

Bob

Bob

kermittheefrog
04-24-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree with you about Gload. However Rowand pinch hit because Gload injured himself in the field. Of course you don't necessarily know those things in the bleachers.

gosox41
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I agree with you about Gload. However Rowand pinch hit because Gload injured himself in the field. Of course you don't necessarily know those things in the bleachers.

I didn't realize that. But why not bring in Magglio in a close game. He's clearly the best.

Bob

batmanZoSo
04-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I didn't realize that. But why not bring in Magglio in a close game. He's clearly the best.

Bob

I was there, too. Maggs was in the on-deck circle in the ninth, after Harris pinch hit for someone (why, I don't know). I also don't know why Maggs was given the day off. We've already had 3 days off this month and another one is coming Tuesday. Even if you give him the day off today, you don't bat Gload third. It should've been Perez, Uribe, Lee, Thomas, Konerko, Gload.

stillz
04-24-2004, 11:57 PM
A truly suck line-up. And the weather was crap too. It seemed to get colder as the day went on. My first time at the park this year, and the renovations looked sweet. Glad Frank hit one out.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 12:09 AM
For what it's worth the Sox have played 17 games and in 5 of them they have scored 3 or fewer runs.

In those five games they are 1-4 with three of those games coming since Monday when Jose and Frank got hurt and they returned home to basically lousy weather. (Which may have something to do with the slumps.)

Lip

samram
04-25-2004, 04:11 AM
I just don't see why any line-up on any day of the year should be without four regulars (Rowand, Maggs, Harris and Olivo). I think it's better to give one regular, or two at most, the same day off because you then have to use only your top infield and/or outfield reserve instead of someone further down the bench. Usually, I wouldn't care if Willie takes the day off, or even the rest of the year, but without Jose, he is the best option because Dransfeldt (sp?) can't play. Furthermore, Olivo will probably get another day off because Buehrle is pitching Sunday, plus there is an off day Monday, so I don't know why he had to sit on Saturday. I am also starting to see why Mets fans couldn't stand Timo and the Mets thougth they were better with Matt Ginter not doing anything for them and Karim Garcia hitting third in a piss-poor lineup. Timo is terrible. No more Jerry Manuel 'sunday special' lineups, please.

Why do I have to think about this stuff at four A.M.? :(: