PDA

View Full Version : Throwing at Frank

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 05:58 PM
What exactly did the Devil Rays hope to gain by throwing at Frank in this afternoon's game? For that matter, why have five different Sox hitters been hit during the first two games of this series?

Honestly, I can't understand Pinella's reasoning behind this. If he's worried about Sox hitters leaning out over the plate and raking fastballs, then one brush-back pitch should be enough of a warning. It's not the fault of Sox hitters if Tampa pitchers keep leaving pitches out over the heart of the plate.

I expect some form of retaliation tomorrow. If the D-Rays think they can throw at Sox hitters and get away with it, they're mistaken. Guillen promised that the Sox would play with more fire and passion than they did under Manuel. Well, now is the time for Ozzie to practice what he preaches. One of the D-Rays hitters needs to go down. That's all there is to it.

cbrownson13
04-24-2004, 06:24 PM
There is a difference between playing with fire and passion and just being stupid and putting players at jeapordy of being injured, suspended, etc.

MetalliSox
04-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I think tempers will flare tomorrow. We didn't retaliate today cuz we were losing and didn't want to put their guys on base.
If we don't retaliate tomorrow, I'll be scratching my head.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Something similar to this happened in May of 1999, where it was obvious that Orlando Hernandez was trying to hit Thomas.

There was never any retaliation. JM obviously never felt inclined to inform a pitcher to get some payback. I always wondered how Frank felt about that.

I remember, he was hitting .355 when that incident occurred, and afterwards, he went into a huge slump.

lowesox
04-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by cbrownson13
There is a difference between playing with fire and passion and just being stupid and putting players at jeapordy of being injured, suspended, etc.

This may very well be the worst post I've ever read at WSI. I'm sorry but it's true:

You take care of your players.

In my opinion Crawford's their star - he was the batter who came to bat first in the inning after Frank got thrown at. Ozzie should have sent out a fireballer and made Crawford swallow a fastball on the very first pitch. I was very disapointed that didn't happen.

I've liked guillen so far. But this team played like crap today (and lately actually). Tomorrow, somebody has to pay. It'll invigorate the troups and it'll show you don't screw with us. If it doesn't happen, my opinion of Ozzie will do a very fast 180.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
This may very well be the worst post I've ever read at WSI. I'm sorry but it's true:

In my opinion Crawford's their star - he was the batter who came to bat first in the inning after Frank got thrown at. Ozzie should have sent out a fireballer and made Crawford swallow a fastball on the very first pitch. I was very disapointed that didn't happen.

I've liked guillen so far. But this team played like crap today (and lately actually). Tomorrow, somebody has to pay. It'll invigorate the troups and it'll show you don't screw with us. If it doesn't happen, my opinion of Ozzie will do a very fast 180.

I agree 100%. I really liked Hawk's initial reaction on TV - his enouragement for Frank to "Go Get Him." I would love to have seen Thomas split that clown in half.

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 08:19 PM

I also wish the sox would have retaliated, but the problem with hitting crawford is you put their fastest runner on base, and the game still wasn't over, and with sandy behind the plate, there was basically 0 chance of throwing crawford out everytime he was on base, which we found out.

minastirith67
04-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I bet the Sox'll retaliate, but I hope they don't aim for the head like they did with Frank. I agree with Hawk on this one...aiming for the head is cruel and unacceptable. Now what we really should be discussing is which player we want to make an example of...

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I bet the Sox'll retaliate, but I hope they don't aim for the head like they did with Frank. I agree with Hawk on this one...aiming for the head is cruel and unacceptable. Now what we really should be discussing is which player we want to make an example of...

It should be either Huff, Baldelli, or Crawford. Those are Tampa's best offensive players.

hillbilly
04-24-2004, 08:41 PM

Then you are retarded if you think it MUST be done because that's baseball. Yes, I agree and understand that someone should have been hit because the way they pitched to frank was bull****, but anyone that knows baseball will say there is no reason to retaliate if it will be detrimental to the team. And for you to say they should have hit Crawford on top of all that is insane. He will just steal 2nd and 3rd. I understand your point in all of this, but to say retaliation is necessary just isn't baseball.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I also wish the sox would have retaliated, but the problem with hitting crawford is you put their fastest runner on base, and the game still wasn't over, and with sandy behind the plate, there was basically 0 chance of throwing crawford out everytime he was on base, which we found out.

Exactly. We were losing. It was a close game and you can't put runners on base, especially last year's AL stolen base leader. If it was a blow out, that's fine. If it was two out, nobody on and Huff at the plate, sure.

There are other ways to get your message across w/o hitting someone, like going in hard at second. I guarantee that if there was a chance for a force out at second after Frank got hit, Sanchez/Lugo would have gotten knocked into centerfield.

If we get out in front tomorrow, I'd be willing to bet that someone gets plunked.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
If we get out in front tomorrow, I'd be willing to bet that someone gets plunked.

That, of course, depends on whether one of the Sox hitters can actually get on base, something that didn't happen all that often this afternoon. Gonzalez is a terrible pitcher, but the Sox have shown several times over the past three or four seasons that the quality of the opponent doesn't mean that much.

There is still the other issue here that puzzles me: Why were the D-Rays throwing at Frank. As far as I know, he hasn't done anything to deserve being thrown at. I've seen other players (*COUGH* Sosa *COUGH*) do all sorts of things to show up the other team, and no one ever throws at them.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
That, of course, depends on whether one of the Sox hitters can actually get on base, something that didn't happen all that often this afternoon. Gonzalez is a terrible pitcher, but the Sox have shown several times over the past three or four seasons that the quality of the opponent doesn't mean that much.

There is still the other issue here that puzzles me: Why were the D-Rays throwing at Frank. As far as I know, he hasn't done anything to deserve being thrown at. I've seen other players (*COUGH* Sosa *COUGH*) do all sorts of things to show up the other team, and no one ever throws at them.

I don't think we've done anything to show them up. I sincerely think that "Sweet Lou" was trying to rattle our(Frank's) cage a little bit and possibly even test Ozzie. We hear all about how they had 90-something 1-2 run games last year. When you can keep it that close, even the tiniest psychological edge can make all of the difference. Personally, I would have thought that it would have backfired and just wake up the Sox' sleeping bats. I guess that didn't happen.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
Then you are retarded if you think it MUST be done because that's baseball. Yes, I agree and understand that someone should have been hit because the way they pitched to frank was bull****, but anyone that knows baseball will say there is no reason to retaliate if it will be detrimental to the team. And for you to say they should have hit Crawford on top of all that is insane. He will just steal 2nd and 3rd. I understand your point in all of this, but to say retaliation is necessary just isn't baseball.

100 % agree that Crawford was the wrong guy to hit.

100 % disagree that there is no reason to retaliate. There is no reason that the freakin' Tampa Bay Devil Rays, arguably the worst franchise in baseball to date, are going to come into OUR HOUSE and INTIMIDATE OUR TEAM. Who the hell is Waechter or whatever his no-name is to come bring heat at Frank Thomas and expect to skate without consequence?? Are you kidding me??? You cannot let teams come in and try to intimidate you on your home turf. A message needs to be sent that those things don't fly here, or else it is going to continue and Frank or Maggs is going to be the one to get hurt. Personally I think a nice little bench-clearing brawl is in order. Schilling, Martinez, Clemens....try that crap against their team and you'll be picking up your teeth at home plate.

I will agree that there is a proper time and place, and we were still trying to win a ballgame. That much of your point I can agree with. But IMO yes we MUST retaliate. Hopefully that happens tomorrow.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I will agree that there is a proper time and place, and we were still trying to win a ballgame. That much of your point I can agree with. But IMO yes we MUST retaliate. Hopefully that happens tomorrow.

Dead on. This MUST be handled tomorrow. If people see that we let these losers walk all over us, they're going to think they can follow suit. And I don't want there to be any confusion either. I want a 90+ heater in someone's ribs. I just hope the umps don't come out tomorrow w/ some sissy warning to both teams. We should be allowed to take care of this within the rules of the game.

JRIG
04-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Huff's the star. He's the guy to hit. Unless we just want to drill Fick for old time's sake.

Today may not have been the day to take care of business. A win was still within reach.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Dead on. This MUST be handled tomorrow. If people see that we let these losers walk all over us, they're going to think they can follow suit. And I don't want there to be any confusion either. I want a 90+ heater in someone's ribs. I just hope the umps don't come out tomorrow w/ some sissy warning to both teams. We should be allowed to take care of this within the rules of the game.

Exactly. A clear message must be sent.

As for who to hit...Huff is their *star* if there is such a thing, but he's been a pretty easy out for us. I would say hammer Crawford with the first pitch of the game and get it out of the way. While I don't like the idea of putting him on base, he has been tearing us up and deserves the honors. We'll still have 27 outs to make up for him stealing 2nd, 3rd and home :D:

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Huff's the star. He's the guy to hit. Unless we just want to drill Fick for old time's sake.

Today may not have been the day to take care of business. A win was still within reach.
I would just love to see Fick get drilled, because I hate the guy so much, but Huff is their star.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 09:12 PM

I think Huff's the guy too, but you hate to nail a guy that's hitting .190. I still say ya give it to him though. Fick would be the sentimental choice of course.

hillbilly
04-24-2004, 09:13 PM
100 % agree that Crawford was the wrong guy to hit.

100 % disagree that there is no reason to retaliate. There is no reason that the freakin' Tampa Bay Devil Rays, arguably the worst franchise in baseball to date, are going to come into OUR HOUSE and INTIMIDATE OUR TEAM. Who the hell is Waechter or whatever his no-name is to come bring heat at Frank Thomas and expect to skate without consequence?? Are you kidding me??? You cannot let teams come in and try to intimidate you on your home turf. A message needs to be sent that those things don't fly here, or else it is going to continue and Frank or Maggs is going to be the one to get hurt. Personally I think a nice little bench-clearing brawl is in order. Schilling, Martinez, Clemens....try that crap against their team and you'll be picking up your teeth at home plate.

Retaliating shows were not intimidated and not retaliating shows we are intimidated?? I'm confised how you came up with that conclusion, but anyway. If, in fact you are correct that the Sox were intimidated by this then they got problems above and beyond anything else. I think we should've thrown at someone from their team because it was BS that Wackoff or whatever his name is threw at franks head. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it wasn't the right situation to retaliate in the same game because we were chasing and couldnt afford to give up any more runs. And also, retaliation isn't necessary in the game of baseball unless of course in this case because someone shouldnt be head hunting or else a teammate of his will get the same in return. But, if i was still playing ball and someone wanted to throw at me (head excluded), it'd be wonderful because I'm on base. So yea i guess we MUST retaliate in this instance, but maybe i misunderstood the post that retaliation is always necessary in baseball. Man, I'm retarded.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 09:18 PM

Here's a quote from Pinella on the incident:

"We're trying to crowd him at the plate. Frank's swinging the bat well. Make some mistakes to him and he'll make you pay."

JRIG
04-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Here's a quote from Pinella on the incident:

"We're trying to crowd him at the plate. Frank's swinging the bat well. Make some mistakes to him and he'll make you pay."

Fordyce was setting up way inside on both of those pitches, so there may be some truth in that. But those pitches were way up in the zone as well.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 09:30 PM
And also, retaliation isn't necessary in the game of baseball unless of course in this case because someone shouldnt be head hunting or else a teammate of his will get the same in return.

That's my whole point. In THIS case, it is warranted--EXPECTED. We are talking about this case. Frank was hit intentionally, no matter what *sweet Lou* says.

Retaliating shows team unity.

I hardly think Frank was intimidated. I wish they would have let him rip the guy's head off.

If you were Frank, wouldn't you want your pound of flesh?? Wouldn't you want one of their guys to get hit?

BTW I understand your points and can agree to a point. I think that our opinions are actually similar. I agree that it wasn't necessarily the right situation to retaliate. But to me, it is a matter of defending your teammates honor and not being bullied. If you have to put a guy on base and get tossed from the game, so be it. At least then our hitters know that they are protected--if the other team knows we are going to strike back, they might think twice about it.

Wonder what Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale would have done?? I think I have a pretty good idea...

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Fordyce was setting up way inside on both of those pitches, so there may be some truth in that. But those pitches were way up in the zone as well.

Agreed. The D-Rays starter (Wackoff, or whatever his name is) seemed to have good control for most of the game, and then he mysteriously "lost" this control whenever Frank came to the plate. I think something else was going on there. Perhaps Wackoff thinks he can make a name for himself by throwing at HOF-caliber players.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 09:34 PM
This situation is THE ONLY reason that I don't like the DH. As Hawk said, Wackoff wouldn't be pulling this crap if he had to step in the box.

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Agreed. The D-Rays starter (Wackoff, or whatever his name is) seemed to have good control for most of the game, and then he mysteriously "lost" this control whenever Frank came to the plate. I think something else was going on there. Perhaps Wackoff thinks he can make a name for himself by throwing at HOF-caliber players.
Well he clearly got his name across to you. :D:

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I actually have a better idea for tomorrow's game than just retaliation. Why don't we have Rob Dibble make a surprise appearance in the D-Rays clubhouse before the game. I'm sure Pinella will be thrilled to see him again. :D:

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Well he clearly got his name across to you. :D:

:D:

beckett21
04-24-2004, 09:39 PM
This situation is THE ONLY reason that I don't like the DH. As Hawk said, Wackoff wouldn't be pulling this crap if he had to step in the box.

I can't help but keep thinking about Shawn Estes's pathetic *retaliation* against Clemens a couple years ago...that had to be the most embarassing attempt at retaliation in the history of time. Even Clemens was disappointed! :?:

:)

sas1974
04-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I can't help but keep thinking about Shawn Estes's pathetic *retaliation* against Clemens a couple years ago...that had to be the most embarassing attempt at retaliation in the history of time. Even Clemens was disappointed! :?:

That was quite entertaining. Unless he was standing in the on deck circle, he wasn't in much danger of getting hit.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 09:44 PM

That was hilarious. No warning issued, but everyone knew it was coming. Clemens gets so steeled for the pitch that he couldn't move and Estes threw behind him expecting him to duck into it - and missed Clemens completely.

Then the warning got issued so he couldn't do it again.

Worth the price of admission for the comedy aspect alone.

VA_GoGoSox
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I live in VA and watched the game via the MLB package on my cable. As such, I had to watch the D-Rays' broadcast and listen to their announcers.

After Frank got hit and started towards the mound, the color man said something like "oh, give me a break Frank. If he meant to hit you, why would he have hit you with a slider that obviously just got away from him? Quit being such a whiner." He then went on a two minute rant about how Frank is a baby and makes a Gary Coleman face when he gets upset.

My thinking is that if you are unable to pitch inside without hitting someone, you should expect a butt-kicking at some point. The bottom line is that Frank took two pitches pretty close to his head today, and he SHOULD have gone out to the mound to dish out a beatdown. I don't think he was out of line at all, and I sincerely hope we make the leadoff man eat a fastball tomorrow. I'm sorry, but being intimidated by the devil rays is just not an option.

As a side note: how cool would it be to see Frank in a fight? :angry:

Railsplitter
04-24-2004, 09:56 PM
It should be either Huff, Baldelli, or Crawford. Those are Tampa's best offensive players.

Make like Early Wynn: two for one retalitation.

hillbilly
04-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by VA_GoGoSox
I live in VA and watched the game via the MLB package on my cable. As such, I had to watch the D-Rays' broadcast and listen to their announcers.

After Frank got hit and started towards the mound, the color man said something like "oh, give me a break Frank. If he meant to hit you, why would he have hit you with a slider that obviously just got away from him? Quit being such a whiner." He then went on a two minute rant about how Frank is a baby and makes a Gary Coleman face when he gets upset.

My thinking is that if you are unable to pitch inside without hitting someone, you should expect a butt-kicking at some point. The bottom line is that Frank took two pitches pretty close to his head today, and he SHOULD have gone out to the mound to dish out a beatdown. I don't think he was out of line at all, and I sincerely hope we make the leadoff man eat a fastball tomorrow. I'm sorry, but being intimidated by the devil rays is just not an option.

As a side note: how cool would it be to see Frank in a fight? :angry:

We all know he played tight end at auburn. The question is how much of that toughness is left if he got into a fight? lol I dont believe the media and crap saying hes a sissy because he doesnt play through injuries but i can't really see frank being a big fighter. He looks like he can kick some ass but do yall really think he can and would??

CHISOXFAN13
04-24-2004, 10:01 PM
We could be looking at a situation similar to last season against Minnesota where both teams were warned prior to the game.

That being said, I want Buerhle to be in command with a big lead, and then bring in Koch late.

Great way to earn a little respect from the fans if Botch drilled someone.

I hope it's Fick.

SoxFan76
04-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I want Frank to just go nuts on somebody one of these days. He almost did last year. Atleast that is one instance that I remember. I think they were playing the Royals, I'm not sure. He got hit, and he was about to charge the mound. It might of actually been at the beginning of the year. I was so pumped, I wanted Frank to kick some ass. I know he can, the football killer instinct never leaves you. And Frank is not a sissy as far as injuries are concerned. It's April, I'm sure he didn't want to risk a whole year by playing with a sore hammy. And the last time he tore his F'ing tricep. We all know Frank could kill anybody. He is so huge, strong, and athletic. SOSA VS. THOMAS!!! That would be entertaining...

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Of all the starters to drill someone, Garland would do it for sure. Heck, he sometimes drills somebody just because he can't throw strikes or is getting shelled.

I think Buehrle will do it tomorrow unless there is a warning given.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I want Frank to just go nuts on somebody one of these days. He almost did last year. Atleast that is one instance that I remember. I think they were playing the Royals, I'm not sure. He got hit, and he was about to charge the mound. It might of actually been at the beginning of the year. I was so pumped, I wanted Frank to kick some ass. I know he can, the football killer instinct never leaves you. And Frank is not a sissy as far as injuries are concerned. It's April, I'm sure he didn't want to risk a whole year by playing with a sore hammy. And the last time he tore his F'ing tricep. We all know Frank could kill anybody. He is so huge, strong, and athletic. SOSA VS. THOMAS!!! That would be entertaining...

The situation you are referring to happened on April 15, 2003, against the Royals. Miguel Ascensio had already hit Frank in his previous start against the Sox. Then, when Frank was hit a second time, he pointed his bat directly at Ascensio and screamed, "That's twice!" Later in the game, Frank did some drilling of his own, sending a ball deep into the left-field seats.

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
SOSA VS. THOMAS!!! That would be entertaining...
Celebrity Boxing anyone?

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Celebrity Boxing anyone?

It wouldn't be a fair fight. Sosa would find some way to cork his boxing gloves.

Whitesox029
04-24-2004, 10:25 PM
What exactly did the Devil Rays hope to gain by throwing at Frank in this afternoon's game? For that matter, why have five different Sox hitters been hit during the first two games of this series?

Honestly, I can't understand Pinella's reasoning behind this. If he's worried about Sox hitters leaning out over the plate and raking fastballs, then one brush-back pitch should be enough of a warning. It's not the fault of Sox hitters if Tampa pitchers keep leaving pitches out over the heart of the plate.

I expect some form of retaliation tomorrow. If the D-Rays think they can throw at Sox hitters and get away with it, they're mistaken. Guillen promised that the Sox would play with more fire and passion than they did under Manuel. Well, now is the time for Ozzie to practice what he preaches. One of the D-Rays hitters needs to go down. That's all there is to it.
Sometimes I wish the players and coaches were here at WSI to hear some of the things you guys come up with. It seems like they just need to come to their senses sometimes. In addition, Hawk always tells us on the air why a guy is slumping when he's slumping. I certainly hope he tells the same thing to the player, because otherwise it does no good.

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 10:28 PM
It wouldn't be a fair fight. Sosa would find some way to cork his boxing gloves.
LOL, "I use corked gloves for sparring, and I took the wrong ones."

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 10:29 PM
The guilty party has spoken:

"We were trying to go inside, but I didn't want to hit him," Waechter added. "It's the only way to beat him. Even on the home run, I was going inside but I made a mistake."

SoxFan76
04-24-2004, 10:30 PM
The situation you are referring to happened on April 15, 2003, against the Royals. Miguel Ascensio had already hit Frank in his previous start against the Sox. Then, when Frank was hit a second time, he pointed his bat directly at Ascensio and screamed, "That's twice!" Later in the game, Frank did some drilling of his own, sending a ball deep into the left-field seats.

YES!!! That was exactly what I was talking about. The bat pointing is what made me get so pumped up. It was like the WWE. I wanted him to charge the mound so bad. Maybe it was for the best that he didn't--he let the bat do the talkin'.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 10:34 PM
We all know he played tight end at auburn. The question is how much of that toughness is left if he got into a fight? lol I dont believe the media and crap saying hes a sissy because he doesnt play through injuries but i can't really see frank being a big fighter. He looks like he can kick some ass but do yall really think he can and would??

He's not a fighter, and it's probably for the best. I really wanted to see Thomas charge the mound when this incident occurred, but in retrospect, I'm glad he didn't, because I don't want to see Frank get suspended for 5+ games.

Now rounding third, and heading for home when there's about to be a play at the plate, I don't know why he doesn't come in at full speed and try to knock the head off the catcher, especially when there's a run in the balance. Sometimes I just get the feeling that Frank's like that big kid on the sand lot who tippy toes around the other kids because he doesn't want to hurt them.

I remember once in 1994, in a game at Cleveland, there was a play at the plate, and Frank just kind of pulled up, and walked right into the catcher. The crowd then started taunt and scream at Thomas, and labelled him with the moniker "The Big *****".

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 10:38 PM
LOL, "I use corked gloves for sparring, and I took the wrong ones."

That's fine, we'll give Frank a set without padding. Should be an interesting fight after that. But, I don't think ShamME will be doing any photo ops anytime soon...

BeerHandle
04-25-2004, 01:28 AM
I think the Rays got concerned after Thomas ripped the ball down the line (it was foul, but after he already hit the homer). Then they came at him again. Thomas was ready to hit another homer. GO FRANK! F# Pinnella.

StillMissOzzie
04-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Yes, a D-Ray should get drilled tomorrow. I hope it's not Crawford, cuz unless Olivo can gun he down, he'll be on 3rd base in two shakes. Huff is still mired in a slump, so I nominate Baldelli for the honor. Although for the comedic aspect, I also wouldn't mind giving Fick a "welcome back to Chicago" horsehide rib massage.

SMO
:gulp:

StillMissOzzie
04-25-2004, 03:03 AM
I actually have a better idea for tomorrow's game than just retaliation. Why don't we have Rob Dibble make a surprise appearance in the D-Rays clubhouse before the game. I'm sure Pinella will be thrilled to see him again. :D:

RK, I don't get it. Did Dibble drill Sweet Lou when they were both playing? By the time the Sox had Dibbs, I don't think he could have hit him if he tried. At least who sure couldn't throw strikes.

SMO

DMarte708
04-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Yes, a D-Ray should get drilled tomorrow. I hope it's not Crawford, cuz unless Olivo can gun he down, he'll be on 3rd base in two shakes. Huff is still mired in a slump, so I nominate Baldelli for the honor. Although for the comedic aspect, I also wouldn't mind giving Fick a "welcome back to Chicago" horsehide rib massage.

SMO
:gulp:

After witnessing several pitches in on Franks grill yesterday afternoon I was hoping for reprisal by our pitching staff. Nope. This was a close game, and with the speed TB possesses it would not of been smart if a player HBP scored the winning run. Imagine if that happened, Ozzie would of been lambasted by the media for such a "childish action in a close game." I support protecting your star players, and fully expect somebody to get hit tomorrow. Knowing Buehrles recent luck he'll be cruising through the game, get the order to plunk a batter, then give up 6 straight runs for a loss.

RKMeibalane
04-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
RK, I don't get it. Did Dibble drill Sweet Lou when they were both playing? By the time the Sox had Dibbs, I don't think he could have hit him if he tried. At least who sure couldn't throw strikes.

SMO

I'm talking about an incident that occurred during the 1992 season, when Dibble was still playing for the Reds, and Lou was his manager. Dibble gave up a three-run home run to Bobby Bonilla to lose a game to the Mets on August 30. The Reds had a game the next night back in Cincinnati. But when the players reported to the park for the Monday game, Dibble was nowhere to be found. He wasn't in the clubhouse. He wasn't in the bullpen. He was just... gone.

Towards the end of the game, Dibble showed up in the Reds clubhouse. When the game ended, Pinella went into the clubhouse to confront Dibble, and attacked him. The two of them started screaming at each other. Pinella openly questioned Dibble's manhood, saying that he "didn't want to be treated like a man."

Brian26
04-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Make like Early Wynn: two for one retalitation.

Why don't we bring Koch in to start the game and keep Buehrle warm in the bullpen. Have Koch drill Crawford to lead off the game. I'm sure the Ump will issue a warning after that. Next pitch, Koch could drill their #2 hitter. After he's tossed, Baines or Coop could call in Buehrle to start the game.

Only downside is that Buehrle would come in with 2 guys on base.

voodoochile
04-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Why don't we bring Koch in to start the game and keep Buehrle warm in the bullpen. Have Koch drill Crawford to lead off the game. I'm sure the Ump will issue a warning after that. Next pitch, Koch could drill their #2 hitter. After he's tossed, Baines or Coop could call in Buehrle to start the game.

I really, really like this suggestion. Too bad it won't happen...

sas1974
04-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

But his velocity is down. The hitters probably wouldn't even know they were hit w/ the ball. :D: