PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Lineup with Wright on the hill!

joeynach
04-24-2004, 05:27 PM
What the hell was with todays lineup. The first three batters were perez, uribe, and gload. And then stick Drandsfort in the lineup. All with Danny Wrong on the mound. I mean when this guy is pitching we need all the run support we can get. This lineup today was horrible against a pretty no thrills pitcher. Its was like an extreme sunday lineup. Come one Ozzie you gotta give us every chance we need to win every game.

Jurr
04-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Danny Wright sucks, and the probability is that he was going to have a bad outing. Ozzie probably figured that this would be a good day to get the team rested while he gives Wright a chance to "be the man" and pull the team through a game. Smart money says that DW would not have had a good outing, and he was surprising today. Bottom line= we win tomorrow, take yet another series, and that's all that matters...winning series.

soxnut
04-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Danny Wright sucks, and the probability is that he was going to have a bad outing. Ozzie probably figured that this would be a good day to get the team rested while he gives Wright a chance to "be the man" and pull the team through a game. Smart money says that DW would not have had a good outing, and he was surprising today. Bottom line= we win tomorrow, take yet another series, and that's all that matters...winning series.

Good points. To me seemed like Ozzie was giving the whole team the day off today. But Danny Wright was surprising. I think when the Sox lose we have to take the losses with more confidence. I'm sure that's exactly what Ozzie is doing.

MRKARNO
04-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I guess it's time to Can Dan!

kermittheefrog
04-24-2004, 06:43 PM
If we really think we have no hope of win with Danny Wright on the mound, even against the Devil Rays, something has to be done. Today's lineup was inexcusable. You have to beat the teams you are obviously better than. That doesn't mean sending out half of your everyday lineup. And a solid outting by Wright was wasted. Ridiculous. Can we get this over with and just fire Ozzie right now?

joecrede
04-24-2004, 07:03 PM
I don't know, Ordonez is 7-for-his-last-28 with 1 double and 1 triple. He has 1 homer in his last 45+ AB's too. A day off probably was justifiable.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Nobody needs a day off in April. The season has barely started, nobody suffers from heat exhaustion, and the game breaks come every 6 or 7 days.

Resting players in April sounds very "Manuelesque." I'm hoping and praying the front office told Ozzie to play the scrubeanies because they need to showcase somebody for an upcoming trade. Otherwise today's moves were inexcusable.

:jerry
"The first half of the season my job is making sure everyone is comfortable. Later winning becomes more important... unless we win the first two of three in Yankee Stadium with the mighty Tigers due up next."

joecrede
04-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Nobody needs a day off in April. The season has barely started, nobody suffers from heat exhaustion, and the game breaks come every 6 or 7 days.

Ordonez might not be tired, but he has been slumping since his walk-off homer against KC on the 15th. I have no problem giving him a day off today all things considered.

If Gload is ok, I'd put him in left tomorrow in place of Lee.

DSpivack
04-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jurr

Wouldn't make it the most sense to field a bad lineup with your best pitcher if you're gonna have guys "take the day off"? Seems to give a better chance to win then.

beckett21
04-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Wouldn't make it the most sense to field a bad lineup with your best pitcher if you're gonna have guys "take the day off"? Seems to give a better chance to win then.

Not necessarily. How many times did Loaiza lose last year 1-0? A couple times at least IIRC. Not a good idea to waste a solid pitching performance with no run support. That is psychologically damaging.

On the other hand, if you are most likely going to give up a bunch of runs then what have you got to lose? i.e. Yankees 11, Sox 8--we just couldn't get over that hump and it was frustrating. Sometimes getting waxed is better than losing a heartbreaker...not that I buy that crap about a *good loss* mind you--there is no such thing.

Bottom line, if there is no confidence in Wright from the dugout, there will be none from the players, and he therefore has no right being on the mound in the first place. It's a defeatist attitude. If we've given up on the guy then demote him already.

pudge
04-24-2004, 08:44 PM
But why didn't Maggs PH when we had two men on to start the 8th?? That would have been a great chance to get back in the game...

I dunno, don't like it... hopefully Ozzie learns from this... I just hate games like that, why even bother playing?

JRIG
04-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack

It would make the most sense not to throw a game against one of the worst teams in the AL. This was a very Manuel-esque move today, right down to leaving Mags on the bench all game long.

Ken
04-24-2004, 11:06 PM
I can never figure out why multimillion dollar baseball players can't be expected to play 3 hour games everyday during the season. It's not like basketball or soccer, where you are constantly moving. Almost have of the game is spent off the field on the bench.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Ken
I can never figure out why multimillion dollar baseball players can't be expected to play 3 hour games everyday during the season. It's not like basketball or soccer, where you are constantly moving. Almost have of the game is spent off the field on the bench.

Baseball can be emotionally draining, as it is "The thinking man's game".

As opposed to soccer, where you can stick any monogloid onto the field, and have him senselessly run around, trying to chase a ball. Yipee.

Jurr
04-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I think Beckett's right. I feel that Danny Wright may have saved himself an instant demotion today, but I think that the obvious situation is that he's going to be taking a trip to the pen or Charlotte sooner than later. My other feeling has been that if the Sox can keep taking 3 out of 5 games in a stretch thereby keeping themselves in contention, they'll make some moves at the break to resolve that fifth starter's slot. It's just a makeshift spot in the rotation at the moment....but, if you look at most teams, they have the same problem. Pitching just isn't that deep nowadays. I'm just happy that currently we have a bona fide 1-4 that gives us a chance to win. Going into the season, it didn't look like we'd have close to that. God love Shoney and his new cut fastball.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Baseball can be emotionally draining, as it is "The thinking man's game".

As opposed to soccer, where you can stick any monogloid onto the field, and have him senselessly run around, trying to chase a ball. Yipee.

That's true, but Magglio isn't tanking it. I don't see how he could be emotionally drained batting .308.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Assuming Jose gets back in the lineup in a week or so, the keys right now are Crede and Lee. They have got to start hitting reasonably well or this lineup has a lot of holes...none bigger then Willie Harris whenever he plays and leads off. Those are automatic outs.

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Today's game looked a lot like those seen last season around this time. The offense was sputtering, and the only time a run crossed the plate was when someone managed to hit a ball over the fence. The Sox were doing a great of just trying to score runs the first few weeks of the season. Now, it looks like they're back to that "wait for the home run" mentality.

Random stat: Last season, nine of Frank's first ten home runs were solo shots. Two of his first three this season have been solo shots. I don't want to see a repeat of what happened a year ago. The Sox must find a way to get men on base in front of their big guys. As of now, Maggs leads the team with fourteen runs batted in. That's a solid number, but now other guys need to pick up the slack. Harris clearly isn't getting it done. If he can't get his act together by mid-May, then KW needs to think about trading for a more experienced second-baseman. Uribe has done a nice job so far, but I'm not convinced he can be a starter. He seems more suited to take over Tony G's role of "Tenth Man."

misty60481
04-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Why do players need a day of unless there injured when the season isnt even a month old??? They sure cant be tired or overworked yet....

voodoochile
04-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Okay, I'll walk into this minefield with my .02...

I don't know if people needed a day off, but Ozzie decided to give them one. He did it on a day when the Sox had their worst pitcher going against the Rays ace in waiting who has been absolutely brilliant this year and continued yesterday to pitch well. Ozzie stacked the lineup with LH hitters in an attempt to get some positive matchups and it didn't work.

To put this in perspective, last year, Manuel did the exact opposite in Seattle - letting the starters all play on Saturday with Wright on the hill and resting 4 of them the next day with Buehrle on the hill. The Sox lost both games.

I figure that Ozzie decided to take his best chance today at winning and hope for the best yesterday. Not saying it is correct, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Now I don't understand why Willie Harris had a bat in his hands in the 9th with Maggs sitting on the bench. That makes no sense to me...