PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - 4/24 Vs. Tampa

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Use this thread for all game related analysis or come to the Chat Room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450) and have some fun...

OEO Magglio
04-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Interesting Lineup for the Sox today:
1. Perez cf
2. Uribe 2b
3. Gload Rf
4. Thomas Dh
5. Lee Lf
6. Konerko 1b
7. Crede 3b
8. Alomar C
9. Dransfeldt ss

MRKARNO
04-24-2004, 12:58 PM
It will be quite intersting to see if they can actually produce enough runs to win the game with Wright pitching and the lineup chock full of backups. If we can win this game, it will say a lot about our backups, whom many analysists said formed one of the worst benchs in the majors

sas1974
04-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It will be quite intersting to see if they can actually produce enough runs to win the game with Wright pitching and the lineup chock full of backups. If we can win this game, it will say a lot about our backups, whom many analysists said formed one of the worst benchs in the majors

Let's hope we can prove them wrong, but I must admit that line up makes me VERY nervous, especially w/ Danny out there.

South Side
04-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Why is Maggs out?

Patrick134
04-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Man Wright was pitching well, and that Konerko throw was just awful.

kermittheefrog
04-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Why put all your backups in and Wright on the mound? Ozzie is practically throwing the game.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Uribe has been doing a fine job, and I like Gload so far this year.

However, having a 1-2-3 in the order of Uribe, Timo, and Gload scares the hell out of me. Add Dransfelt in at #9, and you almost have 4 automatic outs in a row. Don't get me wrong- I like Uribe and Gload in the lineup, but I don't like have these 4 guys in the order at the same time right after each other.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Another solo shot by Frank, unfortunately. That top of the lineup isn't helping by not getting on base at all.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Don't look now, but Wright is almost through 5 innings without any earned runs.

I like seeing Crawford get drilled, but you knew he was going to steal second easily on Sandy and Wright.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Wright is out. Jackson is in. Wright did a nice job today. He allowed only two runs, and he has given the Sox a chance to win the ballgame. Let's hope he can keep it up.

anewman35
04-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Wright is out. Jackson is in. Wright did a nice job today. He allowed only two runs, and he has given the Sox a chance to win the ballgame. Let's hope he can keep it up.

And those two runs should be unearned, but they gave a hit and an error on a play that should have just been an error. Grr.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 02:53 PM
He was blatantly throwing at Thomas, why the hell wasn't he tossed?

Time for some payback, OG.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Get ready for fireworks after the commercial break.

Frank just got drilled for the 2nd time today.

5th Sox batter to be hit in the last 2 games.

Someone will get drilled in the next inning.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 02:55 PM
There damn well better be some retaliation for that. Why wasn't that ****er thrown out?

sas1974
Originally posted by Deadguy
He was blatantly throwing at Thomas, why the hell wasn't he tossed?

Time for some payback, OG.

I couldn't tell. Did they issue a warning? I hope not, bc someone is about to get one.

Brian26
That's classic Piniella too....2 outs, Frank up...so he hits him.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Well, Cotts is pitching to Crawford now. If the Sox can get 2 outs and nobody on base, I presume someone will get drilled hard.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Huff is due up this inning. I want to see him get drilled. If the D-Rays are going to throw at our main guy, then their guy deserves to get the exact same thing done to him.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 03:03 PM
I really want the Sox to win this game, just so they can rub it in Pinella's face.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 03:06 PM
It's more than a little ironic that there has been some drama this weekend. Fifty two weeks ago today was the infmamous game against the Twins in which Garland was thrown out and Hawk protested, saying that Garland's ejection "was BS."

Brian26
04-24-2004, 03:41 PM
It's more than a little ironic that there has been some drama this weekend. Fifty two weeks ago today was the infmamous game against the Twins in which Garland was thrown out and Hawk protested, saying that Garland's ejection "was BS."

Likewise, isn't close to exactly 4 years ago that the Tigers/Sox brawl happened? I know it was a Saturday afternoon game in mid April of 2000...

Let me check my schedule......April 22, 2000.

pudge
04-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Why didn't Maggs PH when we had a chance to rally?

So much for trying to win every game I guess....

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Likewise, isn't close to exactly 4 years ago that the Tigers/Sox brawl happened? I know it was a Saturday afternoon game in mid April of 2000...

Let me check my schedule......April 22, 2000.

Yes, you are correct. There must be something about this weekend bringing out all of the scumbags in Major League Baseball. Robert Fick has been involved two of the three games in question.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Why is Harris hitting instead of Maggs?

Brian26
04-24-2004, 03:50 PM
It's pretty pathetic that we are sending Willie Harris out to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th inning with 2 outs.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Completely, utterly, totally overmatched. Willie had no business being at the plate in that situation. Was Ozzie saving Magglio for the bottom of the 10th? Or is he hurt? I don't get it. I hope Ozzie has a good answer.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 03:52 PM
That ball was already in the catcher's mitt by the time Harris swung at it. To make matters worse, it was out of the strike zone.

Note to Ozzie Guillen: Never pinch-hit with Willie Harris. Ever.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Glad I didn't go to the game today. It was depressing enough to watch on television, I can't imagine being there to freeze my tail off and watch Willie Harris as the bottom of the 9th inning pinch hitter. We need to get rid of some of the dead weight in the bullpen immediately to get another bat on the bench. This is pathetic.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Konerko needs to be benched after this game. I hope Gload is starting at 1B on Sunday, and Magglio is back in RF.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Konerko needs to be benched after this game. I hope Gload is starting at 1B on Sunday, and Magglio is back in RF.

Konerko has cooled off since last week, but I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about him. Gload has been playing well, but at this point, Paulie should remain the starter at 1B.

If Konerko continues to struggle, then I would actually prefer that Frank play first base, and that Gload is the DH.

I'm still trying to figure out why Maggs didn't pinch-hit in the ninth inning. That was pathetic, a move reminiscent of Manuel's stupidity.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 04:11 PM

If Konerko continues to struggle, then I would actually prefer that Frank play first base, and that Gload is the DH.

I would like that too, but with Frank's health concerns, and the April weather, I'd rather just seem him stick at DH.

BTW, he now has a .492 OBP, which leads the league. Now if he could just have a multi-hit game....

JRIG
04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I would like that too, but with Frank's health concerns, and the April weather, I'd rather just seem him stick at DH.

BTW, he now has a .492 OBP, which leads the league. Now if he could just have a multi-hit game....

Tough to have a multi-hit game when you only get 2 official at bats a game.

Tough to have a multi-hit game as well when pitchers know the guy hitting behind you will swing at the first pitch no matter where you throw it.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Tough to have a multi-hit game when you only get 2 official at bats a game.

Tough to have a multi-hit game as well when pitchers know the guy hitting behind you will swing at the first pitch no matter where you throw it.

Carlos needs to stop doing that. During the second half of 2002, he was a much more patient hitter than he is now. Even though his power numbers have improved since then, he becomes an easy out when he's not swinging the bat well, because pitchers know that he will swing at almost anything.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 04:18 PM
BTW, [Thomas]now has a .492 OBP, which leads the league. Now if he could just have a multi-hit game....

It's very simple. Frank Thomas is far more dangerous standing at homeplate with a bat in his hands than he is at first base after your pitcher tossed ball four.

The eighth inning was a classic example of this. Protecting a 3-run lead, Piniella went to his bullpen to face Frank Thomas because two runners were on base. Tampa *still* walked him, loading the bases. Carlos Lee was next and dutifully popped up to end the inning.

It's scary how bad the Sox offense would be if Frank wasn't around.

joecrede
04-24-2004, 04:21 PM
How close is Lee to being as good as he is ever going to be?

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's scary how bad the Sox offense would be if Frank wasn't around.

True. The two-headed bore monster that is Lee-Konerko doesn't seem to be striking fear into opposing team's managers, pitchers, or scouts, which is why pitchers just aren't giving Thomas anything to hit.

It's amazing how much Lee and Konerko parallel each other, considering the fact that Lee has a career .815 OPS, and Konerko has a career. 813 OPS, and both came up at around the same time. One of these two needs to step it up, and make pitchers pay for pitching around Frank, otherwise it's going to be a long season.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

Put Lee back at #2 with Frank protecting him at #3, and El Caballo is right back in business looking over all those fastballs he mashed to get big numbers and a fat contract.

Hitting #2 in front of Frank has to be one of the juiciest jobs in all of baseball for a fastball-looking hitter. Even Mike Caruso batted .300 hitting there.

joecrede
04-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Put Lee back at #2 with Frank protecting him at #3, and El Caballo is right back in business looking over all those fastballs he mashed to get big numbers and a fat contract.

Hitting #2 in front of Frank has to be one of the juiciest jobs in all of baseball for a fastball-looking hitter. Even Mike Caruso batted .300 hitting there.

I agree, but it says something when you have to give your LF'er, a position that's paid to kill the ball, that kind of help.

JRIG
04-24-2004, 04:28 PM

He already is. Unless he learns to take pitches like he did the 2nd half of 2002.

Take away that small part of his career, and he's had almost exactly the same stats over the past five years.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree, but it says something when you have to give your LF'er, a position that's paid to kill the ball, that kind of help.

I think nearly all baseball organizations overestimate the actual value of the ballplayers on their roster. (The big exception is the Yankees.) The Sox organization (and fans) are more guilty of this than most others, but nowhere near as delusional as our North Side brethren who squeal with delight at every windblown pop fly. :smile: