PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie comments on the media

anewman35
04-24-2004, 01:05 AM
In the game story on Chicagosports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040423soxgamer,1,7807146.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) , Ozzie makes some really interesting comments on the media simliar to many that have made here. It's just amazing to see a Sox manager saying them. A sample:

"They don't talk about Thomas. Frank Thomas is Michael Jordan because Sammy (Sosa) was here after [Thomas] was. I was looking in the paper this morning and saw the 'Prior Watch.' You know, it's nothing against the kid, but come on.

"When he was hurt for [three] days, they did not have the 'Frank Thomas Watch' in the paper," Guillen said. "Frank Thomas is way better than Prior (who is on the disabled list with a sore Achilles' and tender elbow). Frank has done more things for this town than Prior. I give all the respect to Mark, don't take me wrong. But, my God "

Thoughts?

FJA
04-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
In the game story on Chicagosports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040423soxgamer,1,7807146.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) , Ozzie makes some really interesting comments on the media simliar to many that have made here. It's just amazing to see a Sox manager saying them. A sample:

Thoughts?

Very nice!

jabrch
04-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Every day I am liking Ozzie the manager more and more. Ozzie the player - I liked. Ozzie the manager is getting more and more likable every day.

I'm with Hangar on this one - Chalk me up as feeling foolish that I didn't buy my Sox7-9 this year.

Deadguy
04-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by anewman35

Thoughts?

Nice of Ozzie to stand up for one of his players.

Can anyone really take the media seriously after the fabricated melodramatic non-feud between Thomas and Guillen has now been proven false?

illinibk
04-24-2004, 01:19 AM
I love the comments. Ozzie the manager is as exciting as Ozzie the player. Though I love what he said, I am almost certain that he will take a beating over it.

MarqSox
04-24-2004, 02:31 AM
It's great. The only way for the Sox to quell the media bias against them is to tackle it head-on, the way Ozzie and Hawk have done. Keep it up boys, put the pressure on! :cool:

pinwheels3530
04-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Go Ozzie Go! Ozzie see's how the sox gets dissed by the press, and I think he takes it to heart. Like KW said he bleeds White Sox baseball. His whole family are sox fans and he's going to speak the truth!

hose
04-24-2004, 08:12 AM
At least Fred Mitchel's article in the Tribune had full quotes from Ozzie that allowed the reader to follow Guillen's thoughts. The Herald, Southtown and Cubtimes all had bits and pieces incomparison.

Dan H
04-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Guillen is right on here. While I don't expect daily speculation about Frank Thomas, this Prior watch is way out of hand. The world doesn'tt revolve around the precious Cubbies. They haven't had consecutive winning seasons in over three decades and now we have to be subjected to obsessing about a team that is finally good? When Prior comes back, he comes back. Cub fans need to get a life.

SSN721
04-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Very nice article, it shocks me they put it in the Trib. Although I am sure it will just make most Cub fans hate Guillen because they all forgot about how much the Cubs sucked not so long ago and Frank Thomas was one of the, if not the best, hitters in baseball. Good for Ozzie for goign to bat for his team. I am just so suprised to hear such politically incorrect comments from our manager, a refreshing change. Its like Ozzie really represents all of us, not just the team, but the fans too. :D:

Palehose13
04-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Ozzie is the next coming of Ditka (for Sox fans)! i.e., he will be revered as a god by many for years to come!

Frank the Tank
04-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Its about time!! Not so much giving Frank props, but speaking out against the cubs bias. I think the organization as a whole should start bad-mouthing the cubs. Who cares if the press doesn't like it. I don't think the Sox's image could get any worse of a wrap in this town. At the very least the bad-mouthing of the Cubs will throw gas on the rivalry fire.

TornLabrum
04-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Its about time!! Not so much giving Frank props, but speaking out against the cubs bias. I think the organization as a whole should start bad-mouthing the cubs. Who cares if the press doesn't like it. I don't think the Sox's image could get any worse of a wrap in this town. At the very least the bad-mouthing of the Cubs will throw gas on the rivalry fire.

Anybody catch Baum and Rosenbloom this morning on The Score? I didn't catch what led into the call, but apparently they played the attendance card again, and a Sox fan jumped all over them about it. They said he hadn't been paying attention to the conversation, which apparently had something to do with Ozzie's comments, but they were so defensive, you know it had to hit home.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2004, 01:14 PM
MarqSox says: "The only way for the Sox to quell the media bias against them is to tackle it head-on."

The best way for the Sox to 'quell the media bias,' is to do something unique.....you know like win something meaningful.

They can also shut up their owner who goes on ESPN Radio 1000 and makes blatant stupid and historically wrong comments like 'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...'

Tell that to fans who lived in Chicago throughout the 50's and early to mid 60's.

Lip

joecrede
04-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
MarqSox says: "The only way for the Sox to quell the media bias against them is to tackle it head-on."

The best way for the Sox to 'quell the media bias,' is to do something unique.....you know like win something meaningful.

You think that would do it, even if the Cubs were still owned by a media conglomerate?

MeanFish
04-24-2004, 01:28 PM
I was just thinking...is the Tribune Company in violation of antitrust laws? I know roughly nothing about legal matters...but the glove seems to fit.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Kudos for Ozzie for standing up for his players. Him and Frank might have had differences in the past, but its a good sign to see Ozzie stand up for his guys. Has there been any interviews lately with players on how Ozzie is handling things. It would be good to see stories how the guys are taking to him, on and off the field.

Keep it up Ozzie. Things like this will make more and more people in Chicago media aware that the media won't have the Sox to kick around anymore.

adsit
04-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by MeanFish
I was just thinking...is the Tribune Company in violation of antitrust laws? I know roughly nothing about legal matters...but the glove seems to fit.

Because they own a baseball team? Nope. Because they use them as programming? Seems ethically challenging, particularly from a financial-reporting standpoint (how much do you charge/pay "yourself" for the rights to broadcast your own games?), but lots of media companies own, or have owned, baseball teams. CBS owned the Yankees for a while in the 60's. And the Trib/Cub/WGN "synergy" isn't even new. Ted Turner bought the Braves almost 30 years ago, now, just so he'd have something to run on his cable station.

Nick@Nite
04-24-2004, 01:49 PM
I think it's great what Ozzie said regarding Frank... not being mealy mouthed and speaking his mind to the media... the Blizzard of Oz, fighting the good fight. :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Joe:

You get to or win a World Series it'd be pretty hard for the Tribune Compaqny to ignore that don't you think?

So to answer your question your damn right I believe it.

Lip

serena
04-25-2004, 01:29 AM
EXACTLY!
Get it there, get it done.

Until then, calling ANYONE the Michael Jordan of Chicago Baseball is total B.S. Until a championship comes this way ... no one compares.
JMO.

The Critic
04-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I like what Ozzie's doing. He truly has his players' backs.
That said, what's happening to Frank in the media has happened to most players who are perceived to have passed their prime. Hell, it even happened to Jordan ( although I can't say for sure that they'd have been so quick to dump on MJ if he hadn't left the Bulls ). It WILL happen to Sosa when the slide begins, be sure of that. The media, especially the sports media, likes nothing better than to build 'em up then tear 'em down. Frank deserves respect for what he's accomplished in the game and for the numbers he put up last season after two or three struggling years and a pretty significant injury. I'm really glad Oz isn't letting them forget what Thomas has done and what he's meant to this franchise.