PDA

View Full Version : Wright to Bullpen for Cotts

Irishsox1
04-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Neal Cotts looks like a totally different pitcher this year, yet Danny Wright looks even worse. A switch might be what both of these guys need. Also, another lefty starter would help.

OurBitchinMinny
04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
TOo many lefty starters is not good. Cotts would give them 3. Id give adkins a look first. But wright should get a few more chances and see if he can go longer in games. 2 or 3 more starts if he doesnt start producing

MRKARNO
04-24-2004, 12:55 PM
But shouldnt we also be putting the best 5 starters out there regardless of their handedness? If Cotts is the best option, so be it and start him. If Rauch or Diaz are better options, then they should get the nod

sas1974
04-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
TOo many lefty starters is not good.

Just ask the Royals.

jordan23ventura
04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

Just ask the Royals.

Brian Anderson as your ace isn't good. If they had ANY pitching at all they'd be right there with us.

JRIG
04-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
But shouldnt we also be putting the best 5 starters out there regardless of their handedness? If Cotts is the best option, so be it and start him. If Rauch or Diaz are better options, then they should get the nod

Bingo. I'd like a starter who can get out, whether he throws with his left arm, right arm, or left leg.

VA_GoGoSox
04-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Neal Cotts looks like a totally different pitcher this year, yet Danny Wright looks even worse. A switch might be what both of these guys need. Also, another lefty starter would help.

I've been thinking the same thing since I saw both of them pitch this year. Cotts certainly looks to be the better pitcher IMO, so why not give him a shot? He CAN"T be worse than Wright. I kind of throw up in my mouth a little bit when I watch Wright pitch :smile:

TheRockinMT
04-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Whatever we do it can't be to far along especially if Wright can't get past 5 innings. He didn't do too bad today and it was the error by Konerko that hurt Danny. However, Danny didn't step up like he did in the 1st innings.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2004, 11:21 PM
In the Tribune story tonight, Ozzie says that Danny is still his 5th starter and will stay in the rotation. (but like Manager Gandhi said in 2002 regarding Gary Glover...'we realistically don't have any other choices...)

Lip

joecrede
04-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
In the Tribune story tonight, Ozzie says that Danny is still his 5th starter and will stay in the rotation. (but like Manager Gandhi said in 2002 regarding Gary Glover...'we realistically don't have any other choices...)

Lip

I consider Cotts a realistic choice for the 5th spot if he continues to pitch well in relief. One possibility could be Cotts in the rotation, Wunsch in the pen (when his arm heals sufficiently), Wright to Charlotte.

BeerHandle
04-25-2004, 12:24 AM
I believe that Wright had only 1 ER; however, he is struggling with his location. He had a lot of 3-2 counts. I believe he is a great middle relief (like Lowe was for us). Time for Cotts to get a start or bring up Diaz. We know that Rausch is not ready. Since his problems he scares me.

doublem23
04-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Neal "5 walks in 7 Innings" Cotts?

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

southsidegirl
04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey! Don't be mean! Maybe that's why he never smiles, the fans are such jerks to him!

MRKARNO
04-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Neal "5 walks in 7 Innings" Cotts?

Yup. And also the 4 hits in that same timeframe which means that his WHIP is a most respectable 1.29 :smile:

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yup. And also the 4 hits in that same timeframe which means that his WHIP is a most respectable 1.29 :smile:

Kerry Wood proves you can walk a lot of guys and still be good. Nobody can get hits off him. Cotts is the same way. Buehrle on the other hand doesn't walk people but gives up a ton of hits. And he's given up 12 runs in two starts here.

kermittheefrog
04-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Kerry Wood proves you can walk a lot of guys and still be good. Nobody can get hits off him. Cotts is the same way. Buehrle on the other hand doesn't walk people but gives up a ton of hits. And he's given up 12 runs in two starts here.

I don't know if I believe Cotts has an ability to prevent hits. A lot of preventing hits is getting strikeouts and missing bats. Kerry Wood is outstanding at that. Cotts racked up a ton of K's in the minors but so far he's nothing special in the majors. Wood also has a lot better stuff than Cotts and his problem with walks isn't as bad. So in summary, Kerry Wood is a special pitcher, Neal Cotts hasn't given us any reason to believe that.

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't know if I believe Cotts has an ability to prevent hits. A lot of preventing hits is getting strikeouts and missing bats. Kerry Wood is outstanding at that. Cotts racked up a ton of K's in the minors but so far he's nothing special in the majors. Wood also has a lot better stuff than Cotts and his problem with walks isn't as bad. So in summary, Kerry Wood is a special pitcher, Neal Cotts hasn't given us any reason to believe that.

I'm not comparing anybody here. I just used Wood as an example.

You can walk people, but you can't give up home runs at the same time. Cotts isn't going to be "special" in strikeouts in the majors, but he'll strike out a lot more than Buehrle if he becomes a full time starter. What did he strike out last year like 110? That's real low.

kermittheefrog
04-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm not comparing anybody here. I just used Wood as an example.

You can walk people, but you can't give up home runs at the same time. Cotts isn't going to be "special" in strikeouts in the majors, but he'll strike out a lot more than Buehrle if he becomes a full time starter. What did he strike out last year like 110? That's real low.

But five walks in seven innings is just unreasonable. Before Cotts joins a big league rotation he needs to prove he can locate a baseball.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
But five walks in seven innings is just unreasonable. Before Cotts joins a big league rotation he needs to prove he can locate a baseball.

He's been successful. That's all you need to know. We'll see if it translates to wins as a starter. Danny Wright obviously blows chunks, why should Cotts not get the AMPLE opportunity that Wright has been given?

scottyl
04-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Cotts has had some good innings in relief. Are we ready to tinker with a bullpen that Ozzie feels is solid?