PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson's television shout-out to Jay (J.J.) Mariotti

CaptainJinks
04-23-2004, 11:20 PM
During the game tonight, Hawk sent a special hello to
"J.J. Mariotti ... the first J stands for Jayson Blair and the second J stands for Jack Kelly..."

I remember a comment from Harrelson early this year about Moronotti basically 'phoning in' his Sox coverage, ie: never being seen in the Clubhouse, not attending games, never talking to players. Now tonight Hawk all but outright called Mariotti a plagiarist.
Is this in response to the Moronotti's latest column, or did Jay say something inciteful on the radio?

1951Campbell
04-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by CaptainJinks
"J.J. Mariotti ... the first J stands for Jayson Blair and the second J stands for Jack Kelly..."

Hawk, props for being so mean yet so dead-on.

Irishsox1
04-23-2004, 11:36 PM
I have a feeling that Hawk is the mouth piece for Reinsdorf on this one. The Moronetti article from Friday was extremely petty yet vicious towards Reinsdorf. I actually decided to read the article after Hawk mentioned it, which was the first Moronetti article I've read in about 8 years. As usual I thought it was right up there with a hot stinking pile of dog crap.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I have a feeling that Hawk is the mouth piece for Reinsdorf on this one. The Moronetti article from Friday was extremely petty yet vicious towards Reinsdorf. I actually decided to read the article after Hawk mentioned it, which was the first Moronetti article I've read in about 8 years. As usual I thought it was right up there with a hot stinking pile of dog crap.

It's just total BS that THAT guy is the main columnist in this town. I tell ya, we Chicagoans, in the area of newspaper choices, are pretty much screwed.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:49 PM

I remember a comment from Harrelson early this year about Moronotti basically 'phoning in' his Sox coverage, ie: never being seen in the Clubhouse, not attending games, never talking to players. Now tonight Hawk all but outright called Mariotti a plagiarist.
Is this in response to the Moronotti's latest column, or did Jay say something inciteful on the radio?

When Moron is finally caught he can write an apology book like Blair.

ShoelessFred
04-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Hawk has already said this year he is gonna "call out" people during broadcasts whom he feels has written or said something completely false about the sox players or organization.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
Hawk has already said this year he is gonna "call out" people during broadcasts whom he feels has written or said something completely false about the sox players or organization.

I can't wait for Mariotti's retort column. That promises good times. Stay tuned...it's gonna be a fun year. Keep it up Hawk.

illinibk
04-23-2004, 11:59 PM
I can't wait for Mariotti's retort column. That promises good times. Stay tuned...it's gonna be a fun year. Keep it up Hawk.

Retort column? Wouldn't that mean Mariotti would have to watch the Sox so he would know what he is writing about? Now that I think about it, I guess not, since he never knows what he is talking about anyways.

Tragg
04-24-2004, 12:12 AM
It's hardly news that JR is a less than examplary owner (although certainly not an abject incompetent like the bidwells in football).
So a moronoitti column on that is simply superfulous.

The bottom line is this- the moron simply can't write a positive article on the Sox- he can't do it and he won't.

Didn't somebody write an article a year or 2 ago about Moronotti doing exactly that- mailing in stories, without attending the game (or leaving early)?

TommyJohn
04-24-2004, 01:17 AM

Uh oh. Look out. Mariotti is going to go Captain Queeg on Hawk
for that one.

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I absolutely love it. Go Hawk, tell him how it is. :)

BainesHOF
04-24-2004, 01:25 AM
"Hawk has already said this year he is gonna "call out" people during broadcasts whom he feels has written or said something completely false about the sox players or organization."

Yeah, but who's going to call out Hawk after such beauties of his as saying Maggs doesn't want to return and is gone, the Sox are better defensively with Harris instead of Alomar at second base and Carlos Lee is the best defensive left fielder in the American League?

DSpivack
04-24-2004, 02:05 AM
More and more I'm beginning to think Rick Telander is the only decent writer in Chicago[at the Cubune and Cub-Times, anyway].

DMarte708
04-24-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by BainesHOF
Yeah, but who's going to call out Hawk after such beauties of his as saying Maggs doesn't want to return and is gone, the Sox are better defensively with Harris instead of Alomar at second base and Carlos Lee is the best defensive left fielder in the American League?

Very true.

Far as this Mariotti vs. Hawk battle, Jay will always have the upper advantage. He graces three media outlets, and although I doubt he would use TV (around the horn) to lash out, you can sure as hell bet the Suntimes and ESPN1000 remain fair ground for a rip fest.

Mariotti can be downright vile in his hatred: on one particular show a month ago he said Hawk was "old and should retire." That happened to be one of few times I've listened to the show, so who knows what insightful comment I may have missed.

Today's little J.J. message will unfortunately serve very little to anyone not familiar with the fued between the two. An average fan listening has no clue who Jayson Blaire and Jack Kelly are. When Mariotti goes on his show, he doesn't find clever ways of insulting Hawk. Jay just goes right out and gets to the point; which is usually how Hawk is a mouthpiece for JR.

What could Hawk really do to address an article which he feels inaccurately represents the White Sox? Blatantly call him out on TV or continue his indirect jabs(maybe both):

:hawk

"DJ....... my pick to click today is 'Jay Mariotti is a dirty scumbag who plagurizes material and continues to profess his hatred of the sox organization while ignoring their success on the field."

TaylorStSox
04-24-2004, 02:47 AM
In the beginning of the year, Hawk said he was going to blast Moron for everthing he said. This was to be expected.

TornLabrum
04-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Uh oh. Look out. Mariotti is going to go Captain Queeg on Hawk
for that one.

:moron

"I can prove that Hawk stole those strawberries."

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 08:15 AM
Harrelson is an absolute dope for trying to call out Marriotti. He will *lose* this war because Mariotti has absolutely nothing to lose by collecting the attention Harrelson offers him.

Only a knucklehead as big as Jerry Reinsdorf would think it is a good idea for his TV play-by-play man to get into a pissing contest with the city's biggest bladder.

:reinsy Goes in here --------------------->

-------------------------> Comes out here! :hawk

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Harrelson is an absolute dope for trying to call out Marriotti. He will *lose* this war because Mariotti has absolutely nothing to lose by collecting the attention Harrelson offers him.

Only a knucklehead as big as Jerry Reinsdorf would think it is a good idea for his TV play-by-play man to get into a pissing contest with the city's biggest bladder.

:reinsy Goes in here --------------------->

-------------------------> Comes out here! :hawk

In addition, it makes the Sox look even more whiney than they are. Ever tried to get a job/gain sympathy/sell a product by screaming that your current job/the other guy/the other product sucks/hates you/sucks? It just doesn't work well.

Hawk needs to realize he gains nothing but attention for Jay while perpetuating the stereotype that Sox fans are whiney, party crashing, wackos by doing this. In addition, it isn't likely to make a guy like Jay (who has an ego the size of the Sears Tower) change. In fact, just the opposite, and people do read the man and believe it too, regardless of what Hawk and the posters at WSI think of him...

"So Hawk called me a liar and a thief? That's it, I'm taking off the gloves."

huh?
04-24-2004, 09:49 AM

Hey, I would call out Mariotti too. I wouldn't just stand pat and watch him tear us up into little pieces.

Frank the Tank
04-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
Very true.

Today's little J.J. message will unfortunately serve very little to anyone not familiar with the fued between the two. An average fan listening has no clue who Jayson Blaire and Jack Kelly are. When Mariotti goes on his show, he doesn't find clever ways of insulting Hawk. Jay just goes right out and gets to the point; which is usually how Hawk is a mouthpiece for JR.

Can someone please explain the Jayson Blaire Jack Kelly thing, I didn't get it.

southsidegirl
04-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Me neither. I have no idea whatsoever who they are....

gosox41
04-24-2004, 10:07 AM

I'll be the duymmy that asks, but who are those two guys?

Bob

Max Power
04-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank

Jayson Blair is the NY Times writer that was busted for plagiarizing/ falsifying articles. He used fake sources, made stuff up, and stole info from other articles.
Anyone know who Jack Kelly is?

oldcomiskey
04-24-2004, 10:20 AM
apparently he is talking about the jack kelly that rights an syndicated opinion column--I did a yahoo mserach on him and hes everywhere from the pittsburgh newspaper to a newspaper sactioned by Jewish people----either that or hes talking about the actor who appeared in the hardy boys mysteries of years gone by

ChiSox14305635
04-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank

The Jack Kelly reference is vague to me too, but as for Jayson Blair, he was a writer for the New York Times who was fired after he was found to have either made up or plagarized several stories.

As for Hawk slamming Mariotti, while I agree that it's damn near impossible to say anything that can really hurt Mariotti, you just can't sit there and watch this buffoon write negative sludge time after time about your team without responding in kind. He's stilled pissed about the falling out he had with Reinsdorf about 10 yrs ago. As a result, he has a vendetta against this team and he goes after mainstays such as the owner, Hawk, & his favorite whipping boy, Frank Thomas. Look at the contract spat a week ago. What was considered a small story in the Southtown was blown up in major proportion by Mariotti. Yet when Sosa gets caught with a corked bat, he does his very best at downplaying the situation. He was quite vocal about Bonds and steroids, yet mum on Sosa and the accusations or when Frank and the entire Sox team refused to test until changes were made. The man barely wrote any articles about Loaiza last year and he had to be the feelgood story of the baseball year, but again, he couldn't get enough of Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Clement.

The perception of the Sox being "whiny" has only been highlighted by stooges like Mariotti, who chooses to simply ignore the facts (unless they're beneficial in his viewpoint) and write opinion pieces. I guess since he's a columnist, that's his right. But to refer to one ballclub as "the chosen ones" playing in a shrine while ridiculing the other one by suggesting they change their name to "The South Side Marauders" and playing in a ballmall is a disservice to those Sox fans who don't buy into the hype.

How do the Cubs increase their popular fanbase? By media outlets pandering to their every whim and cur. Mariotti's voice, while annoying is a large voice. For those on the fence, his viewpoints push them to the North Side because he refuses to provide an objective point from the South Side. Hawk called him on it. I hope other Sox players do the same.

Sorry for the long, rambling response. Mariotti pisses me off in the worst way. :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'll be the duymmy that asks, but who are those two guys?

Bob

Jayson Blair was fired from the NY Times for plagarizing and fabricating stories. Jack Kelly was similarly dismissed from USA Today for fabricating stories, too. The NYTimes and a Pulitzer prize winner. That says a lot about the profession, doesn't it?

Hey, I would call out Mariotti too. I wouldn't just stand pat and watch him tear us up into little pieces.

Just one problem with your strategy. Moronotti *loves* the controversy. Hawk actually makes the situation worst calling attention to the dope. Here at WSI there are already three Sox Fans who don't even know who the hell Hawk was talking about. How much more evidence do you need?

:?:

Don't ever get into a pissing contest unless you've got the bigger bladder.

"I hold the record for non-stop pissing. I'll even make **** up."

adsit
04-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Jack Kelly was bounced from USA Today for outright fakery of news stories. I don't know that he plagiarized as much as he fabricated. As I recall it, his stories included datelines from places he never set foot in and "interviews" with people he never met. So though a bit more obscure than Jayson Blair, this is probably the deeper dig.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Well Haawk got what he wanted. The Moron will hear about it and will shread the Sox once again early next week.
Gives me more reason to belive the Sox will be on the Score sooner then we think .

huh?
04-24-2004, 10:54 AM

Just one problem with your strategy. Moronotti *loves* the controversy. Hawk actually makes the situation worst calling attention to the dope. Here at WSI there are already three Sox Fans who don't even know who the hell Hawk was talking about. How much more evidence do you need?

I stand by my comment, and fwiw, I got the joke immediately when I heard it last night.

joecrede
04-24-2004, 11:21 AM
It's about time someone from the organization called into question Mariotti's journalistic integrity. What he's written/said about the Sox, this year in particular, crosses the line from criticism to abuse.

Mariotti's track record says he's going to abuse the Sox whether Harrelson called him out or not, but by doing so, Harrelson draws attention to his agenda.

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Well Haawk got what he wanted. The Moron will hear about it and will shread the Sox once again early next week.
Gives me more reason to belive the Sox will be on the Score sooner then we think . The Moron never even watchs the games. He still probably doesn't know. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Hawk attacking Mariotti makes himself look small, petty and by proxy because he represents the Sox on TV, makes the organization look worse then it already is.

Just plain stupid by Hawk.

Lip

joecrede
04-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hawk attacking Mariotti makes himself look small, petty and by proxy because he represents the Sox on TV, makes the organization look worse then it already is.

Lip

Looks petty to whom though? Mariotti isn't exactly a beloved figure in Chicago.

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip Nah, it isn't bad. He made a joke on the air, and it's the only real time he can respond to Moron's accusations and falsified comments. He was just letting it be known how he feels since the Moron has countless opportunities to do the same. I think that was score one for Hawk.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Looks petty to whom though? Mariotti isn't exactly a beloved figure in Chicago.

By who? By Sox fans? Are you actually saying that "the masses" don't read and listen to him?

He is the top sports columnists at at paper with a huge circulation and has a radio gig to boot. Conrtroversy sells and the Moron is right at the thick of things normally.

He has also sucked up to flubbie fans when the team has been hot both from an on and off the field perspective.

Casual fans will view Harrelson's comments as out of line and petty. Just another example of why Sox fans are taken with a grain of salt all the time.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Nah, it isn't bad. He made a joke on the air, and it's the only real time he can respond to Moron's accusations and falsified comments. He was just letting it be known how he feels since the Moron has countless opportunities to do the same. I think that was score one for Hawk.

A joke? I can't think of a single journalist who would find that funny. In fact this may backfire as other journalists now will feel obligated to defend Moronotti.

Brian26
04-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
More and more I'm beginning to think Rick Telander is the only decent writer in Chicago[at the Cubune and Cub-Times, anyway].

If you ever get a chance to read "Heaven Is A Playground", do so. I highly recommend it. Great book, although a bit dated in some of the pop culture references now.

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
A joke? I can't think of a single journalist who would find that funny. In fact this may backfire as other journalists now will feel obligated to defend Moronotti. I'm not a journalist. 99% of the other people who heard it aren't either. The fact that other journalist will defend him only show that they are very similar to him, IMO.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm not a journalist. 99% of the other people who heard it aren't either. The fact that other journalist will defend him only show that they are very similar to him, IMO.

Sure, that's the nature of the beast. People defend other people in their profession from unfounded ridiculous accusations.

Like it or not, the names Jack Kelly and Jason Blair are the journalistic equivalent of Charles Manson. They gave their entire profession a black eye. The reprecussions of their actions reverberate today through the industry. If you are going to make a claim like that, it had better be for more than not liking Reinsdorf.

Of course George has it right. Harrelson is merely rising to defend his master...

:reinsy
"Good dog, Hawk... Good dog. Now speak..."

'Yessir, Mr. Reinsdorf. Jay Maronotti is the Devil himself."

:reinsy
"Excellent, Hawk. Now sit..."

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 01:03 PM
By who? By Sox fans? Are you actually saying that "the masses" don't read and listen to him?

He is the top sports columnists at at paper with a huge circulation and has a radio gig to boot. Conrtroversy sells and the Moron is right at the thick of things normally.

He has also sucked up to flubbie fans when the team has been hot both from an on and off the field perspective.

Casual fans will view Harrelson's comments as out of line and petty. Just another example of why Sox fans are taken with a grain of salt all the time.

We're wasting our time, voodoo. Some people would rather win the battle and lose the war. Hawk has exactly two choices when Mariotti inevitably fires back:

1. Stand down, or
2. Take another shot and start the spiral further downward.

In other words, Hawk is a loser from the moment he opens his mouth. The longer this goes, the worse it gets for him, too.

Only a complete P.R. retard like Jerry Reinsdorf would think either of these choices is a good place for his TV broadcaster to be. Besides Marriotti's vitriol, you can count on plenty of his fellow members of the fifth estate to spin this feud in a light unfavorable to the Sox. Yeah, this is surefire way to get more positive press for the Sox. What idiots.

But hey, if punching your wife makes you feels good, who am I to note you'll wind up in jail for your utterly stupid indulgence.

Sure, Hawk. Go right ahead and call out Mariotti. You're going to wind up with choices #1 or #2 regardless of how "good" it makes you feel.

At least some of us are smart enough to not fool ourselves into believing anything to the contrary.

joecrede
04-24-2004, 01:03 PM

I'm saying there is no downside in taking Mariotti to task because he is universally despised.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm saying there is no downside in taking Mariotti to task because he is universally despised.

Only in these parts is he "universally despised."

Marriotti is loving every minute of this. His editor is loving it, too.

Stop kidding yourself.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 01:08 PM

*****! Yes, major newspapers are always in the habit of handing top column slots to writers that actually turn the public off...

Even if what you are saying is true and people don't like Moronotti, does that mean they don't believe him? I think that is naive and the viewpoint of a diehard Sox fan, but not the public reaction at all.

What happens when Moronotti fires back? What if other columnists now rise to his defense?

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't look at it like the Sox are involved in a downward spiral. If Mariotti feels he needs to retaliate, so be it. I don't necessarily feel it gives us a black eye. I really think most of you guys are making more of Hawk's comments than what it really means. I mean do you think Mariotti's commments are going to get worse or something. Nothing has changed.

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't look at it like the Sox are involved in a downward spiral. If Mariotti feels he needs to retaliate, so be it. I don't necessarily feel it gives us a black eye. I really think most of you guys are making more of Hawk's comments than what it really means. I mean do you think Mariotti's commments are going to get worse or something. Nothing has changed.

and that's the sad part.

blueeyes33
04-24-2004, 02:48 PM
In addition, it makes the Sox look even more whiney than they are.

atleast you aknowledge that we are whiney...

this website even makes us look even more whiney tho.ever read some of these posts?

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
atleast you aknowledge that we are whiney...

this website even makes us look even more whiney tho.ever read some of these posts?

I have no control over the poster emotions and am not going to start banning people for expressing their frustration. You got a solution, or are you just whining?

VC Edit: And for the record, yes, I think the Sox are whiney. I said nothing about the fans.

BainesHOF
04-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Whatever you think of Mariotti, and apparently most of you here don't think much of the guy, that has nothing to do with Hawk turning into Reinsdorf's shill. Hawk is full of it more than any media person in this town. I actually still like the guy, but I've lost a lot of respect for him.

And to all who think Mariotti has been unfair toward Reinsdorf, someone is going to have to explain that to me when only 12,000 people showed up to the park on a Friday night.

Reinsdorf has far more important problems than Mariotti. The Chairman needs to look in the mirror to see the root of the franchise's sorry state.

SEALgep
04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Whatever you think of Mariotti, and apparently most of you here don't think much of the guy, that has nothing to do with Hawk turning into Reinsdorf's shill. Hawk is full of it more than any media person in this town. I actually still like the guy, but I've lost a lot of respect for him.

And to all who think Mariotti has been unfair toward Reinsdorf, someone is going to have to explain that to me when only 12,000 people showed up to the park on a Friday night.

Reinsdorf has far more important problems than Mariotti. The Chairman needs to look in the mirror to see the root of the franchise's sorry state. I still don't understand why everyone thinks Hawk says this because of JR. Can't Hawk really believe Mariotti is a moron like the rest of us. Why is this hard to contemplate?

voodoochile
04-24-2004, 03:54 PM

Reinsdorf has far more important problems than Mariotti. The Chairman needs to look in the mirror to see the root of the franchise's sorry state.

I totally agree.

For all the "media hates us" mania, 90% of the problems the team faces are of their own making. The other 10% is guys like Moronotti. And fixing the 10% is putting the cart before the horse. Of course when the horse owns the team, there isn't much you can do...

Brian26
04-24-2004, 03:57 PM

That's a great question. It was chilly last night, and the D-Rays aren't a huge draw. Does that account for such a low turnout though? Not sure.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 04:06 PM

You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply.

sas1974
04-24-2004, 04:09 PM
I totally agree.

For all the "media hates us" mania, 90% of the problems the team faces are of their own making. The other 10% is guys like Moronotti. And fixing the 10% is putting the cart before the horse. Of course when the horse owns the team, there isn't much you can do...

Horse? Or some other smaller, four-legged, horse-like animal?

joecrede
04-24-2004, 04:19 PM

No discount tickets.

mdep524
04-24-2004, 05:06 PM
About Hawk, jeez, he is just a television announcer. Is he a company man? Sure, but he's no less a company man than any other professional sports team's announcer. You think Chip Carrey is going to call anybody at the Tribune out? Did Tom Dore blast the Bulls for their horrid season? And the biggest homer of all: Ron Santo!! What the hell does HE add to a game? It's not like Hawk is any different.

About the attendance, excepting half-price nights, it is not going to change until/unless the Sox are in first place in July. Get over it.

TornLabrum
04-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Also regarding attendance: the Sox traditionally don't draw well in April except for opening day or a big series, such as the one last week vs. the Yankees. Other than that, attendance doesn't pick up until about Memorial Day weekend. Of course if the media in this town ever did any freakin' reasearch, they'd know that. But it's easier to justify their pro-Cubs stance by saying the Cubs are more popular and then bashing Sox fans for not showing up for games they traditionally haven't shown up for.

gosox41
04-24-2004, 05:34 PM
It's about time someone from the organization called into question Mariotti's journalistic integrity. What he's written/said about the Sox, this year in particular, crosses the line from criticism to abuse.

Mariotti's track record says he's going to abuse the Sox whether Harrelson called him out or not, but by doing so, Harrelson draws attention to his agenda.

I'm glad the Sox (JR and his puppet strings or Hawk on his own) called Marriotti out for being the lying tool he is. Jay has the benefit of power in that his ugly mug is on the radio, on TV, in the newspaper. That doesn't mean he should just make up facts or take out personal vandettas.

I think (though it'll never happen) we should have some sort of letter writing campaign here to the Sun Times to oust Marriotti. I know in a way that's what the Sun Times wants, but if we can make enough noise about his integrity them maybe things can change.

Of course the above idea will never happen. That's why I'm hoping JR buys the Sun Times and launches Jay Mo out of town. It's easy to prove he should be fired. Just look at his articles and comapre them to real facts and show he has no integrity and launch his butt. It's one thing to write negative articles, it's another to use your media power as a launching pad of personal vandettas.

Bob

joecrede
04-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Other than that, attendance doesn't pick up until about Memorial Day weekend. Of course if the media in this town ever did any freakin' reasearch, they'd know that.

I think you're being harsh here Hal. What about the enterprising photo-journalist from the Tribune who trekked to the highest reaches of the upper deck to take photos of the obstructed views? :smile:

Huisj
04-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
If you ever get a chance to read "Heaven Is A Playground", do so. I highly recommend it. Great book, although a bit dated in some of the pop culture references now.

i agree. i read it a few years back in high school, and it was really interesting and well written. fun to read but also thought provoking too

TornLabrum
04-24-2004, 07:37 PM
I think you're being harsh here Hal. What about the enterprising photo-journalist from the Tribune who trekked to the highest reaches of the upper deck to take photos of the obstructed views? :smile:

You're right. That was photojournalism at its finest. I just wish my column had as big a circulation as the Trib's for my expose' of obstructed seating at The Ivy Covered Burial Ground.

Daver
04-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
You're right. That was photojournalism at its finest. I just wish my column had as big a circulation as the Trib's for my expose' of obstructed seating at The Ivy Covered Burial Ground.

We're working on it Hal.

:)

dickallen15
04-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Hawk needs to stop referring to Marriotti. He needs to be ignored, all his references to him get is more people reading his column. As time goes on, if Hawk keeps mentioning him, Marriotti will get more outrageous, and he'll have every sports fan in the city tuned into his next column. Hawk can't win this war, he should pull out asap.

SEALgep
04-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Hawk needs to stop referring to Marriotti. He needs to be ignored, all his references to him get is more people reading his column. As time goes on, if Hawk keeps mentioning him, Marriotti will get more outrageous, and he'll have every sports fan in the city tuned into his next column. Hawk can't win this war, he should pull out asap. Maybe he should, but I really doubt Mariotti has any intention of toning down his comments about the Sox, which have gone on for far too long now. Every day the guy has something to say. He is deliberately trying to make the Sox look like a bad organization. He's even commented about the fans at times. I'm not saying Hawk is going to change this by attacking him back, but he certainly can't do anything to make Mariotti speak more harshly about the Sox. I thought what Hawk said was funny, but your point is valid that this can be a never ending spiral where the Sox become more hurt by it than Jay. I don't mind Hawk commenting about him, but maybe he should not make fun of him and state the areas where Mariotti makes false accusations. If once an a while he quoted Mariotti, and took a couple minutes to point out where the Moron is a moron, by being as professional as he could about it, maybe that would be a good compromise.

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Hawk needs to stop referring to Marriotti. He needs to be ignored, all his references to him get is more people reading his column. As time goes on, if Hawk keeps mentioning him, Marriotti will get more outrageous, and he'll have every sports fan in the city tuned into his next column. Hawk can't win this war, he should pull out asap.

I think Mariotti is ignored quite a bit, and how did that work out? He got a radio show. He's not gonna go away if we ignore him. I think it's ours and Hawk's responsibility to call him out when he's a jackass so that the casual fan crowd isn't swayed by his nonsense. Otherwise, people are just going to believe what he says. And not knowing any better they'll continue to read him and listen to him...that's how we keep him in the spotlight, not get rid of him.

dickallen15
04-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I think Mariotti is ignored quite a bit, and how did that work out? He got a radio show. He's not gonna go away if we ignore him. I think it's ours and Hawk's responsibility to call him out when he's a jackass so that the casual fan crowd isn't swayed by his nonsense. Otherwise, people are just going to believe what he says. And not knowing any better they'll continue to read him and listen to him...that's how we keep him in the spotlight, not get rid of him.

Marriotti's last column would never have been written if Hawk didn't call him out at Soxfest. Mariotti just rehashes the same crap over and over again, there is nothing new in what he writes about the White Sox. I never read his column. I went back and read it after Hawk gave him his "shout out". Mariotti is trying to irratate Hawk and JR. Mentioning him on a telecast shows him he is succeeding. Its like a 3 year old crying in the middle of the night, just put up with it a little bit and it will stop. Hawk's gesture probably will get 3 or 4 more of the same crappy columns written in the next few weeks.

TornLabrum
04-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Marriotti's last column would never have been written if Hawk didn't call him out at Soxfest. Mariotti just rehashes the same crap over and over again, there is nothing new in what he writes about the White Sox. I never read his column. I went back and read it after Hawk gave him his "shout out". Mariotti is trying to irratate Hawk and JR. Mentioning him on a telecast shows him he is succeeding. Its like a 3 year old crying in the middle of the night, just put up with it a little bit and it will stop. Hawk's gesture probably will get 3 or 4 more of the same crappy columns written in the next few weeks.

What makes you think Mariotti wouldn't have written that column? He's been writing it for almost a decade now.

ChiSox14305635
04-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Hawk was on the Score tonight with Jesse Rogers and even Rogers said that Mariotti has a personal agenda. He said that every article Mariotti writes about the Sox has a negative spin to it and he never mentions anything positive about the Sox whatsoever.

pinwheels3530
04-26-2004, 01:35 AM
I remember last year when the cubs were in the playoffs on his espn tv show the host at the time called out Mariotti by saying " how can you say everyone is rooting for the cubs to win the world series when 25% of the people in their own town can't stand them". Mariotti replied " those fans don't count anymore" This is what he thinks of sox fans, that were irrelevant so I don't mind hawk sticking up for us,somebody has too!

KingXerxes
04-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Mariotti vs. Harrelson - great .

I don't read Mariotti at all, so I have no idea what he says or doesn't say about the White Sox, but I cannot fathom Ken Harrelson having any more credibility on media fairness that even the worst of hack writers.

"Yessir................mercy DJ.................I was looking for something to wrap a dead fish in earlier today, and what do I find except an old J.J. Mariotti column.........mercy it was the perfect wrap."

:DJ

"Willie Harris just bunted back to the pitcher for the thrid straight time today. How many guys do you think have three 1-3 putouts in a single game?"

"Yessir.............Willie Harris.....................I luuuuuuuuuuuuuv his speed, and I'm telling you that if you've been around this game long enough, or at least as long as I have Feisty, you're seeing the development of the next Rogers Hornsby..............Willie Harris can really strap it down, hunker down, cinch it up, dial it up, burn it up, tear it up and throw some leather with the best of 'em...............I think he's gonna be something really special."

I strongly suspect that Mariotti is nothing more than a publicity seeking hack - but we have got to have a better way of being able to address that issue.

faneidde
04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Hawk was on the Score tonight with Jesse Rogers and even Rogers said that Mariotti has a personal agenda. He said that every article Mariotti writes about the Sox has a negative spin to it and he never mentions anything positive about the Sox whatsoever.
What exactly is his agenda? I think he just plain doesn't like the White Sox. If I were a columnist, I would be writing about how Barry Bonds records are tainted because of the roids scandal for the simple fact that I can't stand Bonds. Mariotti is the same way about the Sox. He just doesn't like them, and if he ever went here he'd have good reason.

I have no problem with Hawk calling Jay out, however. The publicity it generates goes both ways. Not only does it help Mariotti, but it could also help Hawk if the story goes national. Hawk started getting a lot of props from the national media last year, like his home run call being number on on Sportscenter and this could only help. Giving Hawk a larger audience to preach too would only help JR.