PDA

View Full Version : Props to KW

chisox06
04-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Now, when this guy makes a move that boggles my mind and it turns out to be a disaster (Koch for example) I along with everyone else will jump right on him and wonder just whats goin through this guys head. But his off season moves (the few that he did) have been payin off big for us, and for that I gotta give him credit for. Uribe, Politte, Perez (mainly on the defense), and even Shingo as of late, have played pretty damn good so far this year. Nice job KW, looks like you went for quality not quanity this off season, but it is still early. But so far, the new guys have been impressive.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Now, when this guy makes a move that boggles my mind and it turns out to be a disaster (Koch for example) I along with everyone else will jump right on him and wonder just whats goin through this guys head. But his off season moves (the few that he did) have been payin off big for us, and for that I gotta give him credit for. Uribe, Politte, Perez (mainly on the defense), and even Shingo as of late, have played pretty damn good so far this year. Nice job KW, looks like you went for quality not quanity this off season, but it is still early. But so far, the new guys have been impressive.

I would reverse that--quantity, not quality. But I agree. He's done very well considering (disgusted sigh)...this guy...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/reinsy.jpg
"WHAT?"

chisox06
04-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I would reverse that--quantity, not quality. But I agree. He's done very well considering (disgusted sigh)...this guy...

"WHAT?"

I was speaking in terms of relative quality, because of the teams financial situation. And considering we seemed to subtract more than add over the off season its great to see the acquisitions play well and pick up the slack.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-23-2004, 11:14 PM
he seems to do well with the small moves like marte, uribe, olivo, politte, loaiza etc but when it comes to something big like koch or ritchie, he always gets screwed by the other GM. KW got Colon and everett for cheap so I'll give him credit for a few big trades, even though it was primarily brian cashman of the yankees behind the colon deal.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
he seems to do well with the small moves like marte, uribe, olivo, politte, loaiza etc but when it comes to something big like koch or ritchie, he always gets screwed by the other GM. KW got Colon and everett for cheap so I'll give him credit for a few big trades, even though it was primarily brian cashman of the yankees behind the colon deal.

That's true. I don't want any more big trades, ever. Not by him. Either scout the little guys or go free agency.

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

"WHAT?"

Y'all may have discussed this already, but I was surprised to see the Sox rank as highly as they did here:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/02/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

jabrch
04-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

I am not ready to give up on KW doing bigger deals yet either. I am liking KW more and more every day. Imagine if he had an extra 15mm to spend? We'd have Colon, along with everyone we have. Wright would be in the pen or in AAA, and this team would be dominating the division.

pinwheels3530
04-24-2004, 02:39 AM
KW would have the extra 15 million if Hangar wouldn't have called the sox bluff and renewed his season tickets. :D:

kittle42
04-24-2004, 04:22 AM
Politte has been the best pickup based on performance thus far, in my opinion.

SSN721
04-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Shocking to see any props given to KW on here, usually so negative against him :D: I have been very pleased with the acquisitions to this point. ANd I have to say that even if Shingo is not dominant, he sure is a lot of fun to watch pitch. But Uribe and Timo have suprised me the most, I didnt think they would be much more than average bench players, but if Uribe keeps playing this well he might be our new shortstop (although I am not ready to anoint him yet). I am just very happy the way all this pickups that seemed like no big deal when they were made are having a great impact on the club.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Miguel Olivo and Neal Cotts have worked out ok. Eventhough Billy bean is so smart and robbed him on those trades

Tragg
04-24-2004, 10:06 AM
At this point, KW has shored up our pitching staff with Scho, Loiza and Marte, and perhaps Cotts. The loss has been the Kipper.

Not senstational work, as it's taken him 3 years, but decent, considering the constraints.

SoxFan76
04-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Personally, I think Olivo is the best move he has made. There is something with big stars not playing to their potential in Chicago. Wells and Colon come to mind. Colon did a good job last year, but I don't feel he performed as well as Bartolo Colon can perform. Same goes for Everett and Alomar, but mostly Alomar. This guy really didn't do much on the field. He made some great defensive plays, but he couldn't hit to save his life. And it seems like he didn't teach Willie anything, because after his good start, Willie is hitting his career average again.

Back to Olivo, this was a great move. They saw the potential in this kid, and they stuck with him. He is finally coming around. Even if his hitting never fully comes around, he's got that cannon on the right side of his body. He is young, and full of potential. Hawk says a possible All-Star down the road. Now I know Hawk likes to exadgerate, but Olivo in the All-Star game is not far fetched.

And Uribe, well what can I say. He has done everything the Sox organization expected him to do, and at the same time we got ourselves the SS of the future. Gload, Timo, Shingo, Pollite, all worked out great. I think the biggest reason all these guys are performing so well is because of the man, Ozzie. He really has an effect on the way the players play the game.

gosox41
04-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by chisox06

They have been good...so far. Let's hope it continues. There's still 90% of the season that needs to be played.

Bob