PDA

View Full Version : #3

RedPinStripes
04-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Harold Baines' number has been since what? 95 or before then? Well i thought a retired number meant no one wears it out of respect of that person since he's not there anymore. Eventhough it's Harold wearing the number now...........IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE RETIRED! He's not!

voodoochile
04-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Harold Baines' number has been since what? 95 or before then? Well i thought a retired number meant no one wears it out of respect of that person since he's not there anymore. Eventhough it's Harold wearing the number now...........IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE RETIRED! He's not!

SSSSSHHHHHH! (whispers) he never was...

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:10 PM

Try 1989 or 90 IIRC. I know it's the biggest sham in the history of retired numbers, but whattyou gonna do. At least he gives fabulous input on the bench . I swear the guy must have telepathy and thinks everyone else does too.

Dadawg_77
04-23-2004, 11:46 PM

Honestly, I thought it would have been very cool if the Sox retired number 35 on last Tuesday.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Honestly, I thought it would have been very cool if the Sox retired number 35 on last Tuesday.

They left room for 35 and 30 to the left and right of the current "effigys" out there. :smile:

Johnny Mostil
04-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Try 1989 or 90 IIRC. I know it's the biggest sham in the history of retired numbers, but whattyou gonna do.

It was retired shortly after Baines went to Texas for Sosa and Alvarez--kind of like Reinsdorf's gesture of regret over the trade, or something like that.

IIRC, the White Sox have more retired numbers than any team except the Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, and Giants.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2004, 12:18 AM
It's amazing how JR reacts to players he really likes. Harold was a great player for the Sox in the 80's, but you dont retire a players number when he has 10 years left to play. If that's how Jerry thinks, Franks number should have been retired in 98.

:reinsy
"What's the definition of assclown?"

daveeym
04-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Try 1989 or 90 IIRC. I know it's the biggest sham in the history of retired numbers, but whattyou gonna do. At least he gives fabulous input on the bench . I swear the guy must have telepathy and thinks everyone else does too.
Come on it's retired in his honor as a player, he can wear it as a coach with no problems.

It's amazing how JR reacts to players he really likes. Harold was a great player for the Sox in the 80's, but you dont retire a players number when he has 10 years left to play. If that's how Jerry thinks, Franks number should have been retired in 98.

"What's the definition of assclown?"

Let's save the JR bashing for when it's reserved. Obviously Harold respected the gesture or else he wouldn't be here. Or are we all saying our current coaching staff should be a joke an no one else would EVER hire them. Frank hasn't left the team yet.

Honestly it's a business and HB, JC, and OG either can recognize that or felt they were dealt with class, along with numerous other ex-sox players.

For all the JR griping that goes on (and as a fan he deserves alot) the players for the most part must have been dealt with fairly or there would not be as many still working/coming back to work for the team. You don't see any ex cubs out of the last 20 years sitting on the bench do you? you hear talk about it but it never happens.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by daveeym

Let's save the JR bashing for when it's reserved. Obviously Harold respected the gesture or else he wouldn't be here. Or are we all saying our current coaching staff should be a joke an no one else would EVER hire them. Frank hasn't left the team yet.

Honestly it's a business and HB, JC, and OG either can recognize that or felt they were dealt with class, along with numerous other ex-sox players.

For all the JR griping that goes on (and as a fan he deserves alot) the players for the most part must have been dealt with fairly or there would not be as many still working/coming back to work for the team. You don't see any ex cubs out of the last 20 years sitting on the bench do you? you hear talk about it but it never happens.

Those are all good points, but I don't think anyone was contesting them in the first place.

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2004, 07:12 AM
IIRC, Baines was somewhat embarrassed by the gesture when it first happened. "Embarassed" may be too strong a word, but I (vaguely) recall reading something implying he thought it was over the top.

The Critic
04-24-2004, 08:38 AM

HUH????
Is this supposed to be in teal?
If a number is retired in honor of YOU, then YOU still get to wear it! No one ELSE gets to! That's the entire idea behind doing it!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Harold's #3 was retired in 1989, shortly after the Sox traded him to Texas. They had a pre-game ceremony when the Rangers visited Old Comiskey later that summer.

The Sox said virtually nothing to the public in advance of their plans. Their explanation at the time was that they didn't want to make a spectacle of it. LMAO! So why bother doing it in the first place? As a Sox Fan I would have attended that game, if anyone had bothered to let me know in advance!

This entire public relations fiasco has Jerry Reinsdorf's fingerprints all over it. Not only did he trade Baines, he traded him *again* in 1997, too.

And of course Reinsdorf's PR disasters have only gotten larger and more numerous in the years since then, too. Sigh...

"I'm just arrogant enough to think public relations don't mean squat in the entertainment business."

:hawk :gallas :KW :scottreifert
"And we owe you our jobs for being toadies who won't challenge you for being so wrong!"

"Oh and don't forget, these ballpark improvements are required because Sox Fans don't want to win as much as I do."

RedPinStripes
04-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by The Critic
HUH????
Is this supposed to be in teal?
If a number is retired in honor of YOU, then YOU still get to wear it! No one ELSE gets to! That's the entire idea behind doing it!!!

How many retired numbers are being worn now? It's a retired number! When that person retires, no one else was worthy enough to wear it after he PLAYED. He's NOT RETIRED.

Part of my point here is the way JR screws everything up. In the time Harold has played , there have been several players whop were at least as good or better then Harold. Jerry just loves Harold . So he does the completly idiotic move by retiring his number when HArold was around 30. Sound rediculous to you?

Babe Ruth's number wasnt retired when he was playing as far as i know. Why the hell would Harold Baines' number be retired? Nothing against Harold here, but this is rediculous.

jortafan
04-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Allowing Harold Baines to wear his number 3 is totally consistent with the way it's supposed to work. It's his number with the Sox, no one else can use it. If Minnie Minoso were to ever get an in-uniform job with the White Sox, he would be number 9.

It's no different than the way the Yankees (who have gone overboard with retired numbers) handle it. When Don Mattingly was hired as a coach this year, he got back his number 23, while when they make appearances on the field in spring training, Reggie Jackson still gets his number 44, Yogi Berra will always be number 8, and Whitey Ford gets to be number 16. When they die, the numbers go out of use completely with them.

MarqSox
04-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This entire public relations fiasco has Jerry Reinsdorf's fingerprints all over it. Not only did he trade Baines, he traded him *again* in 1997, too.

PR fiasco? For trading a player whose number was retired? I admit it's a little unusual, but I would hardly call it a fiasco.

MarqSox
04-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
It's no different than the way the Yankees (who have gone overboard with retired numbers) handle it.
When half the Hall of Fame has played on your team, you're going to have a lot of retired numbers.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
PR fiasco? For trading a player whose number was retired? I admit it's a little unusual, but I would hardly call it a fiasco.

Not publicizing his number retirement was the fiasco. There was one short blurb in the notes section of the Cubune shortly before the pre-game ceremony. I believe less than 15,000 showed up for the game, too. If you honor somebody in the middle of an empty forest, does the ceremony make a sound?

P.R. fiasco, thy name is Jerry Reinsdorf.

As for trading him (twice), that only underscores how meaningless the gesture of "pre" retiring Baines' number truly was. Jerry Reinsdorf, if Harold Baines meant so much to you that you would retire his number after trading him away, why would you reacquire him and trade him away again?

:?:

The Critic
04-24-2004, 06:21 PM
How many retired numbers are being worn now? It's a retired number! When that person retires, no one else was worthy enough to wear it after he PLAYED. He's NOT RETIRED.

Part of my point here is the way JR screws everything up. In the time Harold has played , there have been several players whop were at least as good or better then Harold. Jerry just loves Harold . So he does the completly idiotic move by retiring his number when HArold was around 30. Sound rediculous to you?

Babe Ruth's number wasnt retired when he was playing as far as i know. Why the hell would Harold Baines' number be retired? Nothing against Harold here, but this is rediculous.

This is a really odd complaint, RPS.
He may be retired, but he's still Harold Baines and the number was retired in HIS honor.
He has an on-field ( or at least on-bench ) position, so it's only fitting that he gets his number back.
It would be WAY weirder to have him wear another number, wouldn't it?

The circumstances behind the number being retired may be strange, and you can say whatever you want about that, but to complain that Harold Baines is wearing Harold Baines' retired number just seems like misplaced anger to me.