PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and 1 run games

MRKARNO
04-23-2004, 10:18 PM
So far this year, the White Sox have played in 6 one-run games. They are 5-1 in these games.

Clearly that can only be made possible by a very good bullpen, which is what I contend that we have and did from when I first heard who was on our team.

ode to veeck
04-23-2004, 10:22 PM
thats amazing ... ozzieball rules

chisox06
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Last 8 games the Bullpen ERA is less than 1.3! With our hitting and a bullpen that shut teams down like that, were going to win a lot of ball games folks. Tonight was a perfect example, the bullpen gave us the opportunity to try and win this one. The bullpen was one of my majoor concerns comin into the season, but so far its been a strong suit. Still early but keep it up guys!

MRKARNO
04-23-2004, 10:27 PM
When Hawk talks about the 40 games that can go either way, this is what he means: 1-run games. These are the games that can go either way and go our way.

mdep524
04-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I am happy that the Sox won tonight, but this was a terrible, terrible game, and I don't think Ozzieball had anything to do with the win.

In some ways the more things change, the more they stay the same. All we've been hearing about with Ozzie is smallball, manufactoring runs, not waiting for the 3-run homer, not playing station-to-station offense, etc. But guess what, tonight the Sox have had SEVERAL 1st and/or 2nd with nobody out situations and not ONCE did they advanced a runner. How many pop up bunts do we have to suffer through?? This just isn't going to cut it against better teams than the Rays, who basically handed this game to the Sox.

Winning on an error, failed bunt, balk, wild pitch before a sac fly? That's not small ball. Hopefully it's just one game and they'll come out swingin' tomorrow!

mdep524
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
PS: Thank God for some great pitching tonight!! The bullpen is getting the job done.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Last 8 games the Bullpen ERA is less than 1.3! With our hitting and a bullpen that shut teams down like that, were going to win a lot of ball games folks. Tonight was a perfect example, the bullpen gave us the opportunity to try and win this one. The bullpen was one of my majoor concerns comin into the season, but so far its been a strong suit. Still early but keep it up guys!

Let's just be grateful we won two games in a row with the way we're swinging the bats.

In no way, shape or form did we deserve to win tonight.

That said, I'm still happy.

chisox06
04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I am happy that the Sox won tonight, but this was a terrible, terrible game, and I don't think Ozzieball had anything to do with the win.

In some ways the more things change, the more they stay the same. All we've been hearing about with Ozzie is smallball, manufactoring runs, not waiting for the 3-run homer, not playing station-to-station offense, etc. But guess what, tonight the Sox have had SEVERAL 1st and/or 2nd with nobody out situations and not ONCE did they advanced a runner. How many pop up bunts do we have to suffer through?? This just isn't going to cut it against better teams than the Rays, who basically handed this game to the Sox.

Winning on an error, failed bunt, balk, wild pitch before a sac fly? That's not small ball. Hopefully it's just one game and they'll come out swingin' tomorrow!

I agree, but when we win you gotta focus on the positives and the negatives when we lose. Great pitching got us the win tonight. The hits aren't always gonna be there, and when their not, the pitching has to come through, and thats exactly what they did.

jabrch
04-24-2004, 12:07 AM
A good team wins a lot of games that they, on their own, don't deserve to win, only because they are better than their opponent. Did the Yankees deserve to win the Tuesday night game? NOT A CHANCE - but they did. Did we play good enough on our own to win, no we didn't but we did, in the end, beat our opponent.

We don't have to outhit, or outpitch or our field our opponents every night of the week. All we have to do sometimes (like tonight) is be just one sac fly better than they are.

Bisco Stu
04-24-2004, 12:49 AM
GOOD TEAMS WIN CLOSE GAMES

pudge
04-24-2004, 03:02 AM
It's also the way Ozzie uses his pen.... Manuel was brutal in one-run games... several games under .500 if i remember correctly...

The Critic
04-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Cliff Pollitte has been a godsend.
Marte ( his OD meltdown notwithstanding ) has been his usual self.
Cotts has looked pretty comfortable when I've had a chance to see him throw.
Mike Jackson has pitched very well and gotten some key outs.
Shingo and Koch have been up-and-down but haven't hurt the team too badly at all.

I really like the Sox bullpen, but I still wish there was a spot for Wunsch.

MRKARNO
04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
The White Sox are now 6-1 in one run games this year. You gotta love our bullpen.....

batmanZoSo
04-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The White Sox are now 6-1 in one run games this year. You gotta love our bullpen.....

I don't think we're very good in low scoring games. It seems like we have to score at least 4 or 5 to win. I'm not sure though correct me if I'm wrong. I thought someone posted that we're 1-4 or something when we score 3 or less.

Nick@Nite
04-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Yeah... my angina is getting progressively worse with each call to the pen.
:)

Railsplitter
04-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Sombody (I think it was Ozzie) on the radio postgame said something to the effect it would nice to 8-0 every so often.

Nick@Nite
04-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Sox are due for a laugher... maybe Tuesday since Cleveland's projected starter is Durbin; 1-2 with a 15.58 ERA (per espn.com).

Btw, mlb.com shows D'Amico as the projected starter for Tuesday... his line is 1-1 with a 5.21 ERA.

Either way, I agree that an 8-0 Sox win every once in awhile would be nice... since the lineup has the thunder to do it.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
It's hard to score a lot of runs when two of your top produces (Crede & Lee) are in slumps and another (Valentin) is hurt.

Here's the breakdown on the Sox so far just FYI:

*One run games: 6-1

*Games when the opponent scores 3 runs or less: 7-3

*Games when the Sox score 3 runs or less: 1-4

*Blown games (games where the Sox led going into the 7th & lost): 1

* Rally games (games where the Sox trailed going into the 7th & won): 3

Extra inning games: 2-0

Games started by the 5th guy in rotation: 0-3

Number of times Sox scored in double figures: 2

Number of times opponents scored in double figures: 1

Lip

WinningUgly!
04-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Games started by the 5th guy in rotation: 0-3

Total runs scored in these three games for Danny Wright: 5

Wright has been pretty bad, but Pedro Martinez would be 0-3 as our 5th starter. :D:

MRKARNO
04-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Our bullpen ERA is near 2 if you dont include opening daym but I dont have the exact number. It's a little above 3 if you do include it and that aint so bad either

Tragg
04-25-2004, 10:48 PM
This weekend we were arguably outplayed in all 3 games and easily could have been swept.

Whatever we're doing in these 1 run games, keep it up.

Mohoney
04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by The Critic
Cliff Pollitte has been a godsend.
Marte ( his OD meltdown notwithstanding ) has been his usual self.
Cotts has looked pretty comfortable when I've had a chance to see him throw.
Mike Jackson has pitched very well and gotten some key outs.
Shingo and Koch have been up-and-down but haven't hurt the team too badly at all.

I really like the Sox bullpen, but I still wish there was a spot for Wunsch.

There is a spot for Wunsch. Start Cotts and jettison Dan Wrong.