PDA

View Full Version : have you seen enough of uribe to trade jose

habibharu
04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
do you want to trade jose for SP?

MRKARNO
04-23-2004, 07:12 PM
We would need to aqcuire a legit utility infielder first, but I would do it if we could get the util IF and a decent SP for the 5th starting spot

jabrch
04-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
do you want to trade jose for SP?

The problem with trading Valentin is that you have to figure out who wants him, and what you could get for him. As far as teams who are likely to be decent, have some money to pick up Jose, and who need SS, I only see two; Toronto and the Dodgers. What would they give you for Valentin? I don't think enough to make it worth it. The Dodgers are a possible trading partner, but I don't know for sure.

Also, both of those teams are led by heavy calculators (Depodesta and Ricardi) and I don't think Valentin really plays well to calculators. (I may be wrong...but I dont know for sure.)

CubKilla
04-23-2004, 10:58 PM
I've seen enough of Uribe to trade Harris once Valentin returns.

ode to veeck
04-23-2004, 11:03 PM
don't think you'd be able to get a quality SP for Jose at this time, even if JR ate part of the salary

daveeym
04-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
don't think you'd be able to get a quality SP for Jose at this time, even if JR ate part of the salary

:reinsy
What eat part of a salary? No way, if they want Jose for RJ they need to eat RJ's salary!!!

HITMEN OF 77
04-23-2004, 11:18 PM
IMO what we need to do when Jose gets healthy is bench Harris let Uribe play 2nd and Jose at SS. If I see Harris square around to bunt anymore I will get sick to my stomach. He's fast yes, but a terrible hitter and so so on the field.

LauraJ14
04-23-2004, 11:22 PM
The problem with trading Valentin is that we have no backup infielder for 3rd or 2nd if Uribe plays at SS everyday. and there's no one in the minors ready yet.

CubKilla
04-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
and there's no one in the minors ready yet.

Not to mention Harris belongs in the minors :D:

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 11:51 PM
What we need to do is make Uribe the starting second baseman now, because Willie's gone as far as he can go as an everyday player. Great job relatively speaking, but he's a utility guy and his speed is valuable off the bench. Next year, we dump Valentin, put Uribe at short and get a second baseman. Jose Vidro anyone?

jabrch
04-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I've seen enough of Uribe to trade Harris once Valentin returns.

For what?

jabrch
04-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

I can't think of one...can you? What team needs an SS, has a extra SP that we would want, and is looking to deal right now to possibly add salary.

MeanFish
04-24-2004, 01:18 AM
I can't think of one...can you? What team needs an SS, has a extra SP that we would want, and is looking to deal right now to possibly add salary.

A: The Chicago Cubs.

CubKilla
04-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
For what?

Package him with Botch for a BP catcher and a ball bag.

jabrch
04-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by MeanFish
A: The Chicago Cubs.

They aren't giving us a SP for Manos when they have Gonzalez. Gonzalez is almost the same hitter as Valentin and is a better defensive SS who is also making about 5mm.

MeanFish
04-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Hm...probably right. Though I still think Val hits better than Gonzo.

mweflen
04-24-2004, 03:51 AM
No to a Jose trade at this point, because that would mean WILLIE-TIME, every day of the week, at 2B....

:weewillie

"Sure, I'm ready. I guarantee you at least .220 out of the leadoff spot... I just need my chance!"

jabrch
04-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MeanFish
Hm...probably right. Though I still think Val hits better than Gonzo.

Valentin is probably a slightly better hitter than Gonzalez. Both strike out too much, neither hits for high average, both hit about 20 HRs. Gonzalez is a better glove man than Valentin.

Since both make 5mm, the Cubs wouldn't be interested in keeping two marginal SS.