PDA

View Full Version : The Cell looks great on TV

joeynach
04-23-2004, 11:52 AM
I noticed last night while watching the game on WGN, one of the few games i actually get, that the Cell has a different look to it. IT really looks good in comparision to years before. When the camera pans around you no longer see seom icky light blue railing all around the stands and outfield walls. You see a nice retro dark green with a new wall covered in our teams history. And even better when the camera pans around you can actually see the top of the upper deck and parts of the roof. Before it was like a mystery how high does it really go becuase you would see it keep rising up on the screen. Now it looks cozy, and intimate, the way we percieve a ballpark should be. I love our place now even more then ever, and i have yet to go this year!!!

soxnut
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
I noticed last night while watching the game on WGN, one of the few games i actually get, that the Cell has a different look to it. IT really looks good in comparision to years before. When the camera pans around you no longer see seom icky light blue railing all around the stands and outfield walls. You see a nice retro dark green with a new wall covered in our teams history. And even better when the camera pans around you can actually see the top of the upper deck and parts of the roof. Before it was like a mystery how high does it really go becuase you would see it keep rising up on the screen. Now it looks cozy, and intimate, the way we percieve a ballpark should be. I love our place now even more then ever, and i have yet to go this year!!!

I feel the same way. :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-23-2004, 12:17 PM
it was very cool the way it looks with the new light standards shining down on the roof when the camera would show the whole park. especially with a crowd there...let's keep it up!

mac9001
04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
It looks even better in person, i was blown away how much different it looked when i first saw it live.

Brian26
04-23-2004, 12:22 PM
For those who haven't been in the upper deck yet-

I sat up there a couple of nights ago. The roof really does make a big difference. I walked up to the top row, and there really isn't a designated standing area along the rim. The last row of seats is right up against this black metal screen. You can see the skyline, and it is a cool view.

Walking down the ramps still sucks after a tough loss, but that's never going to change.

Sad
04-23-2004, 01:00 PM
looking forward to checking everything out in person tomorrow afternoon... along with the steak pita stand I hope didnt get lost in the shuffle :D:

mdep524
04-23-2004, 01:11 PM

No it doesn't, didn't you read Mariotti's column today??

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Folks, the stadium rocks! Don't let some tool columnist make you believe otherwise.

Does anyone have any photos of the retired names & photos on the outfield wall?

joeynach
04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Folks, the stadium rocks! Don't let some tool columnist make you believe otherwise.

Does anyone have any photos of the retired names & photos on the outfield wall?

Why does Mariottie bad mouth the sox so much. I though he was a sox fan. I mean there is nothing wrong with being critical towards your own team or suggesting reform for the better, but ya gotta balance that out with positive things too. Or at least bad mouth the cubs as much as he praises them too.

mdep524
04-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Why does Mariottie bad mouth the sox so much. I though he was a sox fan. I mean there is nothing wrong with being critical towards your own team or suggesting reform for the better, but ya gotta balance that out with positive things too. Or at least bad mouth the cubs as much as he praises them too.

Honestly, I really love out stadium. It has everything I could possibly want, and it looks great. I think Wrigley Field is a good place to see a game, but its more of a novelty than anything else. Comiskey is better place to have as a home field and as a Sox fan I am proud of that.

Max Power
04-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I sat in the upper deck last night and it does feel much more intimate. I think everything looks great. If they fill in the tunnel behind home plate I think the stadium will look a million times better on TV, since the centerfield shot of home plate makes up 2/3rds of a broadcast.
In conclusion, I'm getting tired of people bashing the park, the neighborhood, etc based on stereotypes and observations from 5, 10, 20 years ago. Things have changed people! And for the better.

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Max Power
Yeah, I sat in the upper deck last night and it does feel much more intimate. I think everything looks great. If they fill in the tunnel behind home plate I think the stadium will look a million times better on TV, since the centerfield shot of home plate makes up 2/3rds of a broadcast.
In conclusion, I'm getting tired of people bashing the park, the neighborhood, etc based on stereotypes and observations from 5, 10, 20 years ago. Things have changed people! And for the better.

Max, you just hit on one of the few things that bugs me about USCF. Living in Canada, a big chunk of my Sox gametime experience (when I can tear myself away from WSI!) is through TV. Most of the pitches thrown are broadcast from the CF angle, showing that sinister blackened area behind home plate. What the hell is that?!?!

Bisco Stu
04-23-2004, 02:00 PM
I thought it looked great on TV at the All Star game last year, and unlike the Urinal, it looks nice when you go inside to the bathrooms/food courts/etc

joeynach
04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Max, you just hit on one of the few things that bugs me about USCF. Living in Canada, a big chunk of my Sox gametime experience (when I can tear myself away from WSI!) is through TV. Most of the pitches thrown are broadcast from the CF angle, showing that sinister blackened area behind home plate. What the hell is that?!?!

Its where the tunnel is the umpires use and where they house some equipment like the radar guns and some ball following camera as well as 1 cameraman. There is no need for it. I believe they will fillt it in with seats or make some sort of premium seating area out of it. They can just move the umpires tunnel and its entrance somewhere else and move the camerman towards the dugout. I think they will need to leave the radar there though, but all parks do.

Brian26
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Its where the tunnel is the umpires use and where they house some equipment like the radar guns and some ball following camera as well as 1 cameraman. There is no need for it.

Maybe we need to hire some hot waitress to stand behind there like the Blue Jays have at Skydome. That chick got more press last year than Delgado and Wells combined.

thecell
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sad
looking forward to checking everything out in person tomorrow afternoon... along with the steak pita stand I hope didnt get lost in the shuffle :D:

She's still there...section 111.

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Maybe we need to hire some hot waitress to stand behind there like the Blue Jays have at Skydome. That chick got more press last year than Delgado and Wells combined.

Heh heh, why do you think I spend so much time in Skydome? I had seats behind one of the dugouts last night, which was prime viewing territory for when they get corporate, um, "dancers" to shake their wares in between innings. Who would have thought you could sexify office supplies? Thank you, Staples (TM)! :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-23-2004, 04:05 PM
The stadium looks tremendous at night on WGN. The black / grey / dark green color scheme really makes it look a lot better.

When the baby blue seats go, it'll be fate' comple!

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The stadium looks tremendous at night on WGN. The black / grey / dark green color scheme really makes it look a lot better.

When the baby blue seats go, it'll be fate' comple!

Lip
Totally agree. I've been there in person also and I love the green that they're adding. I hate to say this, but I hope they get rid of the blue seats and get green ones! It will be much easier on the eye