PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 4/23

Lip Man 1
04-23-2004, 10:44 AM
"Unfortunately, as time went on, we had to do some things (for financial considerations) that overcome what's in your heart," Reinsdorf said of selling the naming rights.--Daily Southtown, Friday 4/23.

Lip

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"Unfortunately, as time went on, we had to do some things (for financial considerations) that overcome what's in your heart," Reinsdorf said of selling the naming rights.--Daily Southtown, Friday 4/23.

Lip

Ha. That's the story of JR's life. But on this issue, I think it was worth it. Just look at the ballpark now, it's outstanding. I believe it was for the best.

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
:reinsy
"For financial considerations, I'm selling my son Michael to science."

:ohno
"Gasp!"

:reinsy
"Woops! Er...what I meant to say was that I'm appointing my son Michael as the new Director of Marketing for the Chicago White Sox."

:ohno
"Groan...."

SEALgep
04-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Ha. That's the story of JR's life. But on this issue, I think it was worth it. Just look at the ballpark now, it's outstanding. I believe it was for the best. And they aren't even done yet.

wdelaney72
04-23-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm all for taking shots at JR, but he doesn't need to apologize for selling the naming rights. People will call the park whatever they want. The decision has signifficantly improved the ballpark. I'd rate it as one of his few good decisions.

RichFitztightly
04-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I hope he remembers this quote when he says how much he wants to win a championship right after moving a player for "financial considerations."

CubKilla
04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I'm all for taking shots at JR, but he doesn't need to apologize for selling the naming rights. People will call the park whatever they want. The decision has signifficantly improved the ballpark. I'd rate it as one of his few good decisions.

Wrong! If JR would have allowed professionals to design and locate a baseball stadium in conjunction w/taxpayer input, maybe Comiskey Park II wouldn't have become the albatross that it is. JR got HIS stadium where HE wanted at the expense of US.

JR has plenty of apologizing to do and, on top of that, he's too friggin' cheap to rectify his mistakes with his own money. JR would rather sell history than pay for renovations out of his own pocket.

anewman35
04-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Wrong! If JR would have allowed professionals to design and locate a baseball stadium in conjunction w/taxpayer input, maybe Comiskey Park II wouldn't have become the albatross that it is. JR got HIS stadium where HE wanted at the expense of US.

JR has plenty of apologizing to do and, on top of that, he's too friggin' cheap to rectify his mistakes with his own money. JR would rather sell history than pay for renovations out of his own pocket.

Here's the thing. Nobody knew that retro ballparks were the wave of the future back in 1989. Read that again. Nobody knew. Some people had ideas, sure, but they didn't KNOW. When Baltimore built Camden Yards, they took a risk, people could have hated the whole retro thing. Not going retro looks silly in retrospect, but at the time it was a safe thing to do.

Anyway, pretty much every recent ballpark (Camden Yards and Ballpark in Arlington are the two exceptions I can think of) has been given a coporate name. Clearly, even a nice well-loved retro style park can have a company's name on it, so what's your problem? If the Cell had been built a few years earlier, I almost promise you that it never would have been called Comiskey in the first place.

mdep524
04-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

I think you're wrong on this one, Killa. Yes, to a certain extent JR and co. dropped the ball when they designed and built the park in the first place. But now, in 2004, there is nothing you can do about that, its a sunk cost. So you have two options:

Keep the name "Comiskey" officially and make no improvements to the park

or

Change the official name to "US Cellular" and make several noticeable improvements to the park.

Sox fans are intelligent and practical thinkers, we don't cling to phony propaganda like the Cubs/Wrigley Field fans, who miss a lot of the baseball game because their park is shocking unfit to meet the needs of a real baseball fan (line up/statistic scoreboards, replays, etc.) but don't care because "it's Wrigley." As fans who don't throw garbage on the field when they get upset, Sox fans are sensible enough to make the trade off of an "official" name for a better park.

Did the trade off have to happen in the first place? No, it didn't, if JR hadn't screwed up in the first place. But he did, and you just have to make the best decision now regardless of that. And expecting JR to pay for renovations out of his pocket is laughable- if he did he'd have ANOTHER reason to justify a lowered payroll.

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Anyway, pretty much every recent ballpark (Camden Yards and Ballpark in Arlington are the two exceptions I can think of) has been given a coporate name. Clearly, even a nice well-loved retro style park can have a company's name on it, so what's your problem? If the Cell had been built a few years earlier, I almost promise you that it never would have been called Comiskey in the first place.

FYI -- Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are corporate names. Fenway was named after a real estate company in 1912. While Wrigley may not have been named as part of a lucrative corporate branding deal, the word is still synonymous with the chewing gum.

anewman35
04-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
If the Cell had been built a few years earlier, I almost promise you that it never would have been called Comiskey in the first place.

Err, I meant a couple years later.

soxfan26
04-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
FYI -- Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are corporate names. Fenway was named after a real estate company in 1912. While Wrigley may not have been named as part of a lucrative corporate branding deal, the word is still synonymous with the chewing gum.

Exactly. Ballpark names are overrated anyway. When a company is offering that kind of money just to park their name on the top of the scoreboard, you take it. Especially if it allows you to improve the look of the place.

soxnut
04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I think you're wrong on this one, Killa. Yes, to a certain extent JR and co. dropped the ball when they designed and built the park in the first place. But now, in 2004, there is nothing you can do about that, its a sunk cost. So you have two options:

Keep the name "Comiskey" officially and make no improvements to the park

or

Change the official name to "US Cellular" and make several noticeable improvements to the park.

Sox fans are intelligent and practical thinkers, we don't cling to phony propaganda like the Cubs/Wrigley Field fans, who miss a lot of the baseball game because their park is shocking unfit to meet the needs of a real baseball fan (line up/statistic scoreboards, replays, etc.) but don't care because "it's Wrigley." As fans who don't throw garbage on the field when they get upset, Sox fans are sensible enough to make the trade off of an "official" name for a better park.

Did the trade off have to happen in the first place? No, it didn't, if JR hadn't screwed up in the first place. But he did, and you just have to make the best decision now regardless of that. And expecting JR to pay for renovations out of his pocket is laughable- if he did he'd have ANOTHER reason to justify a lowered payroll.

This is THE most intelligent post of the day, if not the year. You are so on target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jabrch
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

But neither team generates any revenue today, or is under any contractual obligation to keep those names. The cubs or the RedSox could change their names, or even sell the naming rights, anytime they want. That's a different story.

That said, I think JR did the right thing, and now that i have been to the park twice this season, and sat in the UD once, I am completely convinced that anyone who bitches about the park is just looking for something to bitch about. I will still bitch about the team on the field, because I don't believe we should be without a legit #1 ACE starter (I like MB and ELO, but Colon would be a nice #1) or should we be even having the Magglio debate.