PDA

View Full Version : Cubune at it again

Irishsox1
04-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks to the Cubune and their supersluth reports, it appears that the White Sox have a closer controversy because the last two saves have gone to Marte. I hate to break it to the Cubune, but the Cubs have a bigger closer problem. The Polish Prince has a 9.00 era and they have no real closer as a back up. A total non-story made into front page news by the Cubune.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Thanks to the Cubune and their supersluth reports, it appears that the White Sox have a closer controversy because the last two saves have gone to Marte. I hate to break it to the Cubune, but the Cubs have a bigger closer problem. The Polish Prince has a 9.00 era and they have no real closer as a back up. A total non-story made into front page news by the Cubune.

The controversy is Koch sucks. What are we supposed to do?

Mickster
04-23-2004, 09:51 AM
The Polish Prince has a 9.00 era

LOL

:)

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Who's the Polish Prince?

Baby Fisk
04-23-2004, 09:58 AM
A Sox closer controversy is hilarious. As Ozzie said, sure it's easy if you've got Mariano Rivera as your closer. You can sit in the dugout with your eyes shut and he'll save the game every time. Marte continues to evolve into the role before our very wide open eyes. If Marte and Koch feel a little competitive heat for the closer job, so be it, maybe it will up their performances. FWIW, I can't believe Koch is still here.

But then again, I'd love to have Borowski (ERA 9.00). Or how about Farnsworth (ERA 6.43)? With those tights that Farnsworth wears, it looks like he's about to dash off from the stadium to dance the lead in Swan Lake after every game.

Mickster
04-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Who? Him????

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Who's the Polish Prince?

Borowski.

woodenleg
04-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Gee, did the Sox win yesterday? And how did Schoeneweis do? I can't tell from looking at the front page.

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by woodenleg
Gee, did the Sox win yesterday? And how did Schoeneweis do? I can't tell from looking at the front page.

You see, when the White Sox play the Yankees, it's simply no big deal.

But, when the Flubs play the Yankees, our mindless media has to pretend it's the most significant sporting event to grace our city in nigh on 50 years.

It's heartwarming to see there's no double standard in Chicago.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 10:38 AM

But, when the Flubs play the Yankees, our mindless media has to pretend it's the most significant sporting event to grace our city in nigh on 50 years.

Last Monday's paper, after Loaiza threw a 2 hitter and kept us in first place featured a sidebar and a small photo on the front page. The cubs lost that same day and had a huge color photo and the lead story. That was absolutely ridiculous.

bobj4400
04-23-2004, 10:44 AM

What do you mean? Last year was the first time the Yankees came to Chicago since the 1938 World Series when the Babe called his shot. Didnt you read the newspapers last summer?

StillMissOzzie
04-24-2004, 02:07 AM

With all due respects, cheeses, the Scrubs vs. the Yankmees WAS more of a news story, what with the "rematch" of the 1945(?) WS. I think we'd see the same coverage if/when the Sox play the Dodgers.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
04-24-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
With all due respects, cheeses, the Scrubs vs. the Yankmees WAS more of a news story, what with the "rematch" of the 1945(?) WS. I think we'd see the same coverage if/when the Sox play the Dodgers.

SMO

It was the Tigers that beat the Cubs in 1945, and not many media-types seemed to care when the Sox went into LA last summer.

DSpivack
04-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by TDog
It was the Tigers that beat the Cubs in 1945, and not many media-types seemed to care when the Sox went into LA last summer.

Was that not the same weekend as Sox-Dodgers?

DSpivack
04-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Before this season I warned my Cub fan friends- I agreed that they could be a dangerous team, what with all the SPs and power hitting. Though I did say closer would be a concern; Borowski is still unproven in my mind for whatever reason. Hawkins already failed in a closer role in Minn, and Farnsworth wouldn't be great, either.

Also:
I'm sure some of you did, but I didn't know that Borowski was drafted by the Sox! albeit it was 1989 in the 32nd round. Then he was traded in 1991 to the Orioles for Pete Rose, Jr. Joe Borowski page on baseballreference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/borowjo01.shtml)

WinningUgly!
04-24-2004, 03:02 AM

SMO

Originally posted by TDog

Originally posted by DSpivack

Was that not the same weekend as Sox-Dodgers?

The Sox/LA series was buried underneath all the Yankee/Cub media hype in 2003. Both series were played June 6-8, last year. Just try to "Google" anything about the White Sox-Dodger 1959 rematch series last season (good luck with that), to see how meaningless it was in the eyes of the media. I'm sure you'll have no problem tracking down several Yankees @ Wrigley stories!

TommyJohn
04-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The Sox/LA series was buried underneath all the Yankee/Cub media hype in 2003. Both series were played June 6-8, last year. Just try to "Google" anything about the White Sox-Dodger 1959 rematch series last season (good luck with that), to see how meaningless it was in the eyes of the media. I'm sure you'll have no problem tracking down several Yankees @ Wrigley stories!

Bob Vanderberg of the Tribune wrote a story about the Sox-Dodgers series and the 1959 Series. He was the only one who
seemed to notice it. Also, the White Sox played the Giants for
the first time since the 1917 World Series and it went barely
noticed. The 1917 World Series is the only time that Chicago
has bested New York in the World Series, by the way.

Ah, but let's have some perspective here. As Stevie Rosensneer,
Jay Rantalotti (Screamalotti, Javertiotti, Queeg, Bligh, take your
pick) and Mark CheapshotsatSoxfansandWalterPaytonGreco
constantly remind us, nobody cares about the soon-to-be-con-
tracted team in the ghetto part of town.

Railsplitter
04-24-2004, 06:36 AM

SMO

Cubs- Yankees series 1932 and 1938

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Cubs- Yankees series 1932 and 1938

Oh, please...

Sox - Dodgers series 1959, and the last time a team from Chicago *EVER* managed to earn a berth in the sport's most important event.

How did the media respond? Sox Fans got one lousy feature story from Bob Vandenberg in the Cubune.

Sox - Giants series 1917, the first rematch of series opponents where the team from Chicago won, the last world champion team this city has ever produced!

The media barely wrote one damned thing about it. Meanwhile they spent 3 weeks in June having orgasms over Cubs/Yankees. Un-****ing-believable.

And while we're on the subject, both the Sox and Cubs played home yesterday. The Flubs game was over by 5 pm and had no great drama because Maddux was given an early lead and never managed to lose it -- the only noteworthy accomplishment that the over-hyped wash up finally won a game. Meanwhile the Sox play a 10 inning thriller in the evening with a dramatic last at-bat victory.

So how does this morning's Cubune handle it? A giant photo of the Flubs above the fold, front and center. The Sox get the bottom-eighth square. The picture of Crede's winning sacrifice from the Cell is roughly one-third as big as the one of first inning grab-assing by Corey and Moises at homeplate inside the Urinal.

The people who think there isn't a bias against the Sox are shockingly delusional. This is the most recent example. Shame on all of you!

:angry:

hose
04-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Who's the Polish Prince?

Come on cheese you have to stay informed , you were my link to NL baseball during the playoffs last year.

After avoiding all radio , tv, and newspapers during the cub hysteria last year your roaming bicycle reports around the urinal kept me abreast of what was happening.

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by hose
Come on cheese you have to stay informed , you were my link to NL baseball during the playoffs last year.

After avoiding all radio , tv, and newspapers during the cub hysteria last year your roaming bicycle reports around the urinal kept me abreast of what was happening.

:bow

:)

:smile:

BeerHandle
04-25-2004, 12:39 AM

You are right. The Cubune is pathetic. How much pressure do they put on their writers to put a negative spin towards the Sox and positive spin on the Flubs/ Answer; it is in their contract.

HOW ABOUT THIS ARTICLE TOMORROW: DOES SAMMY DO STERIODS? Not a chance!