PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Claims Mike Rivera Off of Waivers

jabrch
04-23-2004, 01:30 AM
having never seen Rivera, can someone give me the information? Does he have MLB potemtial? I know we had nowhere to put him, and that he wasnt going to make it here anytime soon, but why is Beane interested in him? Oakland's catching seems to be a mess at the MLB level, but doesn't he have a few in the farm? (especially the one with the titties)

SoxxoS
04-23-2004, 01:33 AM
I believe he was a high round pick 5 or 6 years ago, but never panned out. I know he tore it up when we first acquired him last August..at least for the first 10 games. Guys on the board were contemplating bringing him up after Sandy's injury.

jeremyb1
04-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I believe he was a high round pick 5 or 6 years ago, but never panned out. I know he tore it up when we first acquired him last August..at least for the first 10 games. Guys on the board were contemplating bringing him up after Sandy's injury.

He's a good pickup. He may have been a late bloomer but he's never hit worse than .250 at stop where he spent significant time in the minors and he has good power and plate discipline. He's 28.

poorme
04-23-2004, 08:29 AM
why did we release him?

SEALgep
04-23-2004, 09:08 AM
This isn't so bad, Rivera was known more for his bat, in which he is slumping right now. The scouting on him was that his defense may never catch up to his offense. We no doubtedly will be giving Ryan Hankins more of an opportunity to see if he can catch on a regular basis. May even be a good future replacement to Alomar, or next years utility man, as he can play lots of positions and is trying to learn catching as well which supposedly is going fairly well. A utility man and possible third catcher wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the team. I'm sure that was thinking behind putting him on waivers. No big deal.

poorme
04-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Could be a disciplinary type thing. Anyone remember Santiago Garcia?

Irishsox1
04-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Oakland picked him up?.....The guy must be awesome because every moron on ESPN says Billy Beane is a frickin genus. Why does Oakland have catcher problems, because they traded Chad Bradford for Migul Olivio?

Randar68
04-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
He's a good pickup. He may have been a late bloomer but he's never hit worse than .250 at stop where he spent significant time in the minors and he has good power and plate discipline. He's 28.

He's 28, is an average minor league hitter, and a relatively poor defensive catcher. But now Beane has picked him up, so I'm sure he's the best thing since sliced bread now.

Brian26
04-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Trib said he was batting something atrocious so far through 10 or 11 games...something like .111.

Randar68
04-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
This isn't so bad, Rivera was known more for his bat, in which he is slumping right now. The scouting on him was that his defense may never catch up to his offense. We no doubtedly will be giving Ryan Hankins more of an opportunity to see if he can catch on a regular basis. May even be a good future replacement to Alomar, or next years utility man, as he can play lots of positions and is trying to learn catching as well which supposedly is going fairly well. A utility man and possible third catcher wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the team. I'm sure that was thinking behind putting him on waivers. No big deal.

I believe the current plan is for Jamie Burke to be the back-up catcher next year, as Miguel ramps up to catching 120 plus games per year.

poorme
04-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Trib said he was batting something atrocious so far through 10 or 11 games...something like .111.

I guess Borchard'll be next....

SEALgep
04-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I believe the current plan is for Jamie Burke to be the back-up catcher next year, as Miguel ramps up to catching 120 plus games per year. He's another possibility, but this Hankin kid brings more to the table in my opinion. However, Burke deserves strong consideration. The reason I said Hankin though is because he can play more positions than Burke, and I believe Hankin would be a third catcher and play all over with Alomar returning next year. It doesn't have to pan out that way, that's just one scenerio. However, I believe Alomar will be back next year as our backup catcher.

Huisj
04-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Oakland picked him up?.....The guy must be awesome because every moron on ESPN says Billy Beane is a frickin genus. Why does Oakland have catcher problems, because they traded Chad Bradford for Migul Olivio?

oakland has catcher problems because they traded ramon hernandez for mark kotsay. hernandez was a good catcher

Randar68
04-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He's another possibility, but this Hankin kid brings more to the table in my opinion. However, Burke deserves strong consideration. The reason I said Hankin though is because he can play more positions than Burke, and I believe Hankin would be a third catcher and play all over with Alomar returning next year. It doesn't have to pan out that way, that's just one scenerio. However, I believe Alomar will be back next year as our backup catcher.

Ryan Hankins can hit decently, but he has only been a catcher for a few months. It's not that simple of a position, particularly if one's never player it before.

lowesox
04-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I guess Borchard'll be next....

I'm too lazy to check. Anybody know off hand how LTP is doing down there these days?

poorme
04-23-2004, 10:53 AM
He must have had a couple of good games b/c he's up to .245.

K/BB ratio still terrible.

Randar68
04-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by poorme
He must have had a couple of good games b/c he's up to .245.

K/BB ratio still terrible.

2 good multi-hit games in a row and drew walks in both. Hit a HR last night, as Reed sat out his second straight game.

poorme
04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
as Reed sat out his second straight game.

what's the deal there?

sas1974
04-23-2004, 11:28 AM
2 good multi-hit games in a row and drew walks in both. Hit a HR last night, as Reed sat out his second straight game.

And he's only struck out twice in the last four games.

HomerCoach
04-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Could Reed be involved in a trade? Effective when one of our guys is healthy...Thomas, Valentin, Wunsch. Hopefully not, hopefully it's just a MINOR injury.

Randar68
04-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Could Reed be involved in a trade? Effective when one of our guys is healthy...Thomas, Valentin, Wunsch. Hopefully not, hopefully it's just a MINOR injury.

No. He's not going to be traded. He still struggled with his wrist this spring, and I haven't heard the official word, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're sitting him out a few games to try and help him recover fully.

MarkEdward
04-23-2004, 11:33 AM
He's 28, is an average minor league hitter, and a relatively poor defensive catcher. But now Beane has picked him up, so I'm sure he's the best thing since sliced bread now.

Building up straw men, eh?

I don't know why the A's made this move. Melhuse and Miller make a decent major league catching duo, and Sacramento has no real need for a starting catcher, as Mike Rose has been hitting well. Rivera will probably back up Rose and spend some time at DH, like he was doing in Charlotte.

Hankins and Rivera probably have the same upside, though I'd probably rather have Rivera. Hankins has hit the ball somewhat well everywhere he's played, although he has always been old for whatever league he was playing for at the time (he didn't reach AA until age 26).

Randar68
04-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Hankins and Rivera probably have the same upside, though I'd probably rather have Rivera. Hankins has hit the ball somewhat well everywhere he's played, although he has always been old for whatever league he was playing for at the time (he didn't reach AA until age 26).

Hankins has only recently undertaken learning to catch. It won't be an overnight transformation, but I definitely think Hankins has better potential to be a decent MLB hitter, for a catcher. IMO, Rivera doesn't have that potential.

kermittheefrog
04-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Personally I don't understand this. I think Rivera would be a nice guy to have around for when Sandy Alomar gets hurt.

SEALgep
04-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Personally I don't understand this. I think Rivera would be a nice guy to have around for when Sandy Alomar gets hurt. He has no defensive skills, and Burke could serve in that capacity. When a guy who is just learning to catch has more potential than a guy who primarily catches, you know it's time to put him on waivers. Hankin's has more upside, despite is age.

jeremyb1
04-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Personally I don't understand this. I think Rivera would be a nice guy to have around for when Sandy Alomar gets hurt.

You'd understand if you weren't blinded by your obsession with Billy Beane Kermit.

Rex Hudler
04-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'm too lazy to check. Anybody know off hand how LTP is doing down there these days?

5-6 with a HR and a couple of walks the last two days..... struggled before that...

MarkEdward
04-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Hankins has only recently undertaken learning to catch. It won't be an overnight transformation, but I definitely think Hankins has better potential to be a decent MLB hitter, for a catcher. IMO, Rivera doesn't have that potential.

I still don't see the potential in Hankins. On June 30th of this year, he'll be 28 years old. As I said before, he's always been old for his league (in 2001, he was 25 and playing in the Carolina League). Even with this advantage, he wasn't dominating at any level. At least Rivera has had some very good years (2001 Erie).

Also, if the Sox had any hope for Hankins, don't you think he's be starting over career journeyman Jamie Burke?

Tragg
04-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Perhaps the Sox should trade Olivo for Chad Bradford and Mark Johnson.