PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Marte's the "Closer"...

mweflen
04-22-2004, 09:42 PM
So, based on the last two games, looks like Marte is now the go-to guy for the save or the tight situation.

Has Ozzie given up on Koch?

The matchup today was heavy with right handers, yet Marte still got the call, even after working and inning yesterday (while Koch did not work yesterday).

Thoughts? Happiness? The way it should have been in the first place?

Could a trade for some minor league talent be in the offing?

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, Ozzie did say that he's going to go with his gut feeling, and I can understand why putting a struggling Koch in when we're up by only 1 run and trying to salvage one game in this series would definitely NOT be a good idea. Not saying Marte has been lights out either, but who would you have rather seen in that situation?

I am guessing Koch will be "eased" back into the role, and probably when we're up by at least 2 or 3 runs, I would think.

But all in all, a great Sox victory!

:)

Whitesox029
04-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mweflen
So, based on the last two games, looks like Marte is now the go-to guy for the save or the tight situation.

The matchup today was heavy with right handers, yet Marte still got the call, even after working and inning yesterday (while Koch did not work yesterday).

Personally I think Marte seems more comfortable in the setup role. If we could have someone else, preferably Koch, step up as the closer, Marte and Politte could potentially be the best righty-lefty setup tandem in the majors from what I've seen from both of them in that role.

ChiSox7
04-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by mweflen

Marte was in their to turn posada around, turn Sierra around, pitch to the lefty matui, and pitch to the lefty Lee. It was all about matchups. If it were the right handers, Koch would have been in there.

SEALgep
04-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Maybe that Koch and PK deal to the Dodgers has some bearing. Maybe they are just waiting for Thomas to get back in the lineup for it to go through so Gload can take over first base. Or maybe Koch was just getting a break. Guillen said that he'll go with Marte sometimes, and he pitched the 8th.

duke of dorwood
04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Marte was in their to turn posada around, turn Sierra around, pitch to the lefty matui, and pitch to the lefty Lee. It was all about matchups. If it were the right handers, Koch would have been in there.

Correct assessment

HomerCoach
04-22-2004, 10:01 PM
To me, it looks like Politte is the best closer we have.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Politte walks far to many hitters to be a closer.

Lip

nodiggity59
04-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

True. Plus, he's had well documented mental issues with pitching in the 9th for Toronto. That being said I couldn't be happier with his setup performances so far this year.

seventytwo
04-22-2004, 10:20 PM

Lip

Compared to which one of his teammates?

SpartanSoxFan
04-22-2004, 10:25 PM

That is a scary thought....

HomerCoach
04-22-2004, 10:34 PM

Lip

Well, before tonight opponents were hitting .321 against Marte and .174 against Politte. Tonight 2 for 4 vs. Marte and 1 for 5 vs Politte. Politte ~12 k/9 and Marte ~5 k/9.

Just the numbers.

I'd rather have Politte closing. We all know Krotch is mental and we keep giving him chances.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
To me, it looks like Politte is the best closer we have.

Up until the end of the 8th inning. Politte, for some reason, can't pitch in the 9th without melting down.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Correct assessment

Yep, Ozzie talked about this in the postgame press conference. Melton and Willsy verified it on the post game.

Jjav829
04-22-2004, 10:38 PM

Definitely. This was all about matchups, not who the closer is. Also, Giambi was lurking in the dugout. Had Koch come in the game, Giambi would have pinch hit for either Lee or Sierra. This was the right move by Ozzie, and it worked out well.

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
and it worked out well.

Juuuuuuust barely. :cool:

Jjav829
04-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Juuuuuuust barely. :cool:

Yeah, well, it's a lot better than what we may have seen if Koch was in there. :smile:

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah, well, it's a lot better than what we may have seen if Koch was in there. :smile:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/koch.jpg
"While I disagree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

mweflen
04-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Good points about the switch hitters - i had neglected that (i try to follow the Yankees as little as possible during any given season, to avoid too much bile and anger).

i've still got to wonder, though. Marte was *very* sharp yesterday, and just good enough today. How much longer until the "gut feeling" has to be "stick with Marte?"

Politte has some good stuff. If he finds some control, he'll be devastating. He's got 99 mph fastballs with movement, hard sinkers...

Or if somehow we can meld Politte and Koch into an extremely ugly super-pitcher... one with control and velocity...

sas1974
04-22-2004, 11:20 PM

Good call. I'm w/ you on this one. I guess time will tell.

Let's not pretend that he coasted through that inning either. He was 1/2 a step away from a blown save. It's a save none the less, but he didn't exactly come in and mow them down(Yes, I realize he was facing an AL all-star team).

Jerko
04-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Correct assessment

They probably wanted to keep Giambi on the bench too I would think by bringing in Marte.

pudge
04-23-2004, 12:20 AM

Lip

His career numbers do not show any unusual walk rates.

If you take away the two walks he had in the opener when Ozzie left him in too long, he's only walked two guys in over six innings.

Frankly, the 7th and 8th are often more important than the 9th, so I don't mind if they keep him right where he is.

jeremyb1
04-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
True. Plus, he's had well documented mental issues with pitching in the 9th for Toronto. That being said I couldn't be happier with his setup performances so far this year.

Or documented physical health issues when he was pitching the 9th for Toronto. What are you, his psychiatrist?

StillMissOzzie
04-23-2004, 02:55 AM
:ozzie

"That's right, Koch is my closer. He closes the bullpen gate after Marte comes into the game."

SMO
:gulp:

mweflen
04-23-2004, 03:05 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040422soxgamer,1,7217321.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Cubune story with several quotes on the "closer controversy" topic.

JDP
04-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Marte got a big pay raise -- maybe it's time to see what he's got in terms of being a closer. Afterall, we'll need an option for next year, so if Marte gets the job done and Koch is "iffy" at best, let Marte 'develop' into the closer, take the hit on Koch's salary until someone is willing to pick it up in a trade, and just have the most expensive mop-up/7th-8th inning reliever in the game.

wdelaney72
04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
If this team makes the playoffs, Koch will not be a part of it. He has lost it. The lefty matchup argument worked out this time for Ozzie. I'm sure he was thanking his stars that he didn't have to consider putting Koch in.

I'll take Pollite over Koch. Koch shouldn't see action with anything less than a 6 run lead.

bobj4400
04-23-2004, 10:07 AM

Considering that Koch wasnt warming up behind Politte in the 8th and Marte was the only guy in the pen, so I dont think Koch was coming in regardless...

Paulwny
04-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Agree it was match ups. If Koch was brought in I doubt Sierra would have batted, Giambi would have been strolling to the plate. Good thinking by Oz.

sas1974
04-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Good thinking by Oz.

It's good to see someone giving credit where credit is due, instead of just ripping him for the questionable choices that he makes.