PDA

View Full Version : Sox in High Definition

Rex Hudler
04-22-2004, 07:30 PM
For those in the Chicago area that are setup with HD, how does tonight's game look in HD? Does the picture look crisp? How does it compare to ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball in HD?

dpbyron
04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
I think it looks better on WGN... It is an amazing technology. You have to see it to believe it.

I think it looks better for me because my TV is 1080i native, so the ESPN conversion from 720p makes it lose a little.

I think the best picture that I have seen is on HDNET. It looks very crisp.

ode to veeck
04-22-2004, 08:35 PM
it sure would be nice if directTV distributed WGNs HD broadcasts to the rest of the country, we have to watch in lowly 480i

duke of dorwood
04-22-2004, 09:01 PM
High quality HD-very impressed with it-

dpbyron
04-22-2004, 09:49 PM
The only negative is that it makes regular programming look like garbage....!

duke of dorwood
04-22-2004, 09:54 PM
It sure does-I sure watch stuff in HD I'd never have watched before. HOWEVER-that does not include Flub games

dpbyron
04-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I watched an MLS soccer game AND a cart race the other day! The Cart race was amazing because of all the colors...

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
The only negative is that it makes regular programming look like garbage....!

That's so true. Which makes it stupid to buy a set before 06 or so. It's like the 20 people who bought CD players in 1985. Or those huge early DVD's around 95.

HawkDJ
04-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't know what all those numbers mean (1080, 480) but it looked terrific on my set. I've fallen in love with HD.

Rex Hudler
04-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
it sure would be nice if directTV distributed WGNs HD broadcasts to the rest of the country, we have to watch in lowly 480i

Word is DirecTV is negotiating with WGN currently to do that very thing........

Rex Hudler
04-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's so true. Which makes it stupid to buy a set before 06 or so. It's like the 20 people who bought CD players in 1985. Or those huge early DVD's around 95.

So it is stupid to enjoy the best technology available?? C'mon, man...... There is enough HD content to make most of us happy, although we complain and want more. It does somewhat spoil watching regular TV, but I am not one to stick with low quality and ignore the top quality just because everything isn't in the highest quality. That makes no sense.

Rex Hudler
04-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
I don't know what all those numbers mean (1080, 480) but it looked terrific on my set. I've fallen in love with HD.

Standard definition (SD) is 480i (i = interlaced)

480p (progressive scan) is an upgrade to SD and is the quality of many DVD's, but it is not true HD.

720p is high definition (HD) as well as 1080i. There are arguments to which technology is best. Some, including ESPN, believe that 720p is better for programming with a lot of movement, including sudden quick movements. Mark Cuban who owns HDNet disagrees and says that 1080i is better.

Having seen both, 1080i is definitely the highest quality picture. I tend to agree that sports in 1080i are better as well, but I don't HDNet so I haven't seen too much sports in 1080i, other than watching at a buddy's house.

Either way, the picture it 10x more clear than digital cable or DirecTV and even more pronounced when compared to analog cable.

I think that covers it. If I messed something up, someone please correct me, as I am just learning this over the last few months.

The bottom line is that if you have cable, it should only cost you $10 a month or so to tap into their HD programming (usually 5-8 channels) as long as you have an HD-Ready TV. If you have DirecTV, you will have to purchase an HD-Receiver, which will run you $400 or more. They are just now launching an HD TIVO for DirecTV which is awesome. My friend was in on the beta testing and it is incredible. Those receivers go for about a grand now, however.

dpbyron
04-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I was holding out for the TIVO HDTV on DirectTV, but the 1,000 price tag scared me off! I went with the offer from DirectTv of $400 for the box and off-air antenna.

I have been just blown away. I have a 36 flat screen tube, and the picture is stunning. I have yet to see a better picture, including plasma. The colors and the 3-d look are unreal.

I think the 720p versus 1080i is like Ford vs. Chevy, in that it is just a matter of preference. I think that the 1080i is the bettter of the two, with the difference being the clarity.

HDNET and Discovery HD have amazing HD programming. If anyone is on the fence, go for it! Most programs will be in HD within a year or two, so just do it!

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
So it is stupid to enjoy the best technology available?? C'mon, man...... There is enough HD content to make most of us happy, although we complain and want more. It does somewhat spoil watching regular TV, but I am not one to stick with low quality and ignore the top quality just because everything isn't in the highest quality. That makes no sense.

Right now it only enhances 10% at best of what you watch. I know someone who has one of those TVs and it was like 10 grand. Personally, I would want an immediate quality return for spending that much money. More power to everyone if they think it's worth it. I'll wait 5 years myself. I didn't mean to say stupid, I just disagree partner :smile:

RealFan
04-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
I was holding out for the TIVO HDTV on DirectTV, but the 1,000 price tag scared me off! I went with the offer from DirectTv of $400 for the box and off-air antenna.

I have been just blown away. I have a 36 flat screen tube, and the picture is stunning. I have yet to see a better picture, including plasma. The colors and the 3-d look are unreal.

I think the 720p versus 1080i is like Ford vs. Chevy, in that it is just a matter of preference. I think that the 1080i is the bettter of the two, with the difference being the clarity.

HDNET and Discovery HD have amazing HD programming. If anyone is on the fence, go for it! Most programs will be in HD within a year or two, so just do it!

As an HDTV owner for four years running now, I can tell you that there are plenty of programming choices that air in HDTV every week.

Just off the top of my head:

The Superbowl
The NCAA Finals
The Masters
The U.S. Open
Two to three college football games a week
HBO, Cinemax, Showtime have movies all day and night in HDTV
All of the sitcoms/dramas I watch are in HDTV - West Wing, Everybody Loves Raymond...
Monday Night Football
ESPN HD

And not to mention that by having a true HDTV - which is a 16:9 widescreen setup, you can watch all of your DVDs the way the director intended, in widescreen not fullscreen. Much better viewing experience.

I know it matters when my seven and four year old kids ask me to play a DVD in widescreen, even on a regular TV, because they want to see the whole picture. Those silly black bars do not "annoy" them the way they do to others.

Let's just say that if you buy an HDTV today, lack of programming won't be a problem. And if you rent movies with any regularity, that's just a bonus. Peace! :D:

Randar68
04-23-2004, 10:19 AM

HUH? You can get CBS, WGN, WTTW, NBC, ABC and Fox with an over-the-air decoder if you live in or near Chicago. Just because every garbage cable channel doesn't have it yet doesn't mean it isn't worth having.

For the record. Football and Hockey BY FAR benefit the most from HD in terms of quality of TV broadcast. College Basketball is also an entirely different experience with it.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
HUH? You can get CBS, WGN, WTTW, NBC, ABC and Fox with an over-the-air decoder if you live in or near Chicago. Just because every garbage cable channel doesn't have it yet doesn't mean it isn't worth having.

For the record. Football and Hockey BY FAR benefit the most from HD in terms of quality of TV broadcast. College Basketball is also an entirely different experience with it.

It's my preference. I never watch any of the networks except for Sox games, occasional Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns. I know how good it is, but it won't benefit me until every channel has it. Garbage cable as you call it is mostly what I watch.

Rex Hudler
04-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Right now it only enhances 10% at best of what you watch. I know someone who has one of those TVs and it was like 10 grand. Personally, I would want an immediate quality return for spending that much money. More power to everyone if they think it's worth it. I'll wait 5 years myself. I didn't mean to say stupid, I just disagree partner :smile:

You can get an HD-Ready TV for less than $1,000 now. Almost all TV's above 36" are HD-ready by now. You may be thinking of plasma TV's which are different. Plasmas are still high, especially if you want an HD plasma. But HD is now extrememly affordable and there is plenty of programming. Not everything is in HD, but between local channels, HBO, Showtime, HDNET, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, etc. there is a lot. Getting a good HD picture can and likely will change your viewing habits somewhat. I find myself watching things on Discovery HD I would never watch in SD and they are amazing.

Rex Hudler
04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
It's my preference. I never watch any of the networks except for Sox games, occasional Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns. I know how good it is, but it won't benefit me until every channel has it. Garbage cable as you call it is mostly what I watch.

You may never get it then. Even once every station is broadcasting in HD, that still doesn't mean every show will be an HD broadcast. It will likely be upconverted, making the quality better than what you are seeing now, but it will not be true HD quality.

By the way, Paige Davis is HOT in Trading Spaces on Discovery HD. :D