PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - 4/22 Vs. Yankees

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments or come to the Chat Room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450) and have some fun...

South Side
04-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Anyone here? Please don't let these things die...

A.T. Money
04-22-2004, 08:13 PM
voodoochile, please forgive me. I'm on the road this week and nothing java-based has worked for me this week. Damn hotel firewall.

I'll try to make my posts meaningful.. :D:

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 08:14 PM
That's all that we ask. These are intended to be updates for the game and not chat sessions in general. NBD.

RKMeibalane
2B- Harris
CF- Perez
RF- Ordonez
LF- Lee
1B- Konerko
DH- Gload
3B- Crede
SS- Uribe
C- Olivo

Looks like Frank isn't quite ready, yet. Get well soon, big guy!

South Side
I apologize, I know that the mods. would like us to use the chat room feature but it is not enjoyable at all! The responses go to quick (I know for some they go to slow, go figure) and you can't get the same conversations in there as you do with this thread.

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 08:19 PM
1-0 Sox on the RBI groundout by Maggs.

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by South Side
I apologize, I know that the mods. would like us to use the chat room feature but it is not enjoyable at all! The responses go to quick (I know for some they go to slow, go figure) and you can't get the same conversations in there as you do with this thread.

The primary purpose of these threads is to update the game, in our opinion. That is why we ask people to use chat. 250 posts of WOOHOO! Single. Maggs rocks. is not all that fun to read, really...

South Side
04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
For you personally it might not be fun to read. I happen to enjoy the threads... but bottom line is I am not paying. All I can do is voice my opinion. You're the boss.

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 08:24 PM
2-run double by Gload. 3-0 Sox.

Frank may be out of a job soon.

HomeFish
04-22-2004, 08:25 PM
It's the Little Hurt!

SoxxoS
04-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Who is this Ross Gload guy...

He's MY GUY!!!

Got to love that approach. You know Moose was going to try to get ahead early, so he threw a get-me-over breaking pitch, and Gload pounced on it. Great job.

Not to be overlooked is CLee's stolen base and Konerko's great at-bat.

Followed, of course, by the groundout by Crede.

All in all, a great inning.

SoxxoS
04-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Gload needs to hit in a few more games, but Konerko is getting more and more expendable each day.

LASOXFAN
crede was lights out in Tucson, blows in the bigs. he should make a trip to Charlotte, let Drunsfeldt play 3rd with Uribe.

voodoochile
Originally posted by South Side
For you personally it might not be fun to read. I happen to enjoy the threads... but bottom line is I am not paying. All I can do is voice my opinion. You're the boss.

Don't want it to be that way either. It is a request, not a requirement. If people have access to chat, we prefer they use it and if these threads start getting out of hand (500 plus posts) it may well become more of an issue.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Hawk is complaining about the 46 degree temperature in the booth. DJ says Hawk is a complainer. Hawk says DJ has a heater, so he needs to shut up.

Meanwhile, Matsui doubled followed by a walk. Men on first and second with nobody out.

:farmer

"And the Sox are wearing their black tops tonight with the white S-O-X outlined in black and silver, with the white and silver piping on the sleeves and the white pinstriped pants."

Cairo with an rbi double to score 1. Men on 2nd and 3rd, still no outs.

A.T. Money
04-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Cairo got a pitch 1-2 right where he wanted it, and poked it.

3-1, men on 2nd and 3rd, no one out.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Hawk and DJ both really talking postively about Cairo...about his speed and willingness to sacrifice himself for the team.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 08:58 PM
WOW!!! What an amazing catch by Timo Perez in center to end the inning! He did a full head-first dive to catch the ball just before it hit the grass. Great play- I'm not sure Rowand would have caught that ball.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Timo flashing some glove....good thing to see the hustle and committment to saving a run

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
WOW!!! What an amazing catch by Timo Perez in center to end the inning! He did a full head-first dive to catch the ball just before it hit the grass. Great play- I'm not sure Rowand would have caught that ball.

That was amazing. Gload, Timo, and Uribe are making me think that we may be a little "deeper" than we thought.

ode to veeck
04-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Uribe's O and D trying to make it tough for Jose to get back in the lineup

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Mid 4th, 3-2 Sox. Sho looking pretty decent. Visit from Gallas last inning. As always, fun times with Rob...

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Rob Gallas was just in the booth, which surprised the hell out of me. He basically took credit for the Sox silver and black uniforms and said his goodbyes to Hawk and DJ. He talked to DJ about the Good Guys Wear Black ads in '94 with Julio Franco and Spanky Lavalliere.

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Uribe's O and D trying to make it tough for Jose to get back in the lineup

No, just start him at 2nd

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Some interesting discussion right now by Hawk and DJ. They were talking to Jim Kaat before the game as to why teams dont have meetings anymore before series to go over the defensive alignments or pitchers. And very rarely do pitchers meet to go over the lineups anymore.

Nice doubleplay to end the inning. Score it 1-6-3. Halfway home, Sox up 3-2.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Butcher-boy attempt by Uribe. Shades of Ozzie on that one. He didn't get the hit, but I like the thought of doing it.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:38 PM
A shot of Mike Squires in the crowd. Hawk said he's a scout now, but didn't mention with who. Is he with the Sox or Blue Jays? Someone else?

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Crede with a dinger, hopefully meaning he's coming out of his funk. 2nd homer of the season for Crede, but more importantly, gives the Sox a nice 4-2 lead.

Uribe follows up with a base hit, as he's 2 for 3.

4-2 Sox, Bot of the 6th, 2 outs.

A.T. Money
04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Schoeneweis has been terrified of the 8 and 9 hitters in the Yankee lineup today. Clark and Cairo? Give me a break.

Patrick134
04-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I don't know why scho was still in there for cairo, he was obviously done withe the clark at bat. nice start for scho though.

mantis1212
04-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Does anyone else smell a Billy Koch appearance tonight? I hope it was just something I stepped in...

duke of dorwood
04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Nice to get out of that one

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Does anyone else smell a Billy Koch appearance tonight? I hope it was just something I stepped in...

It's definitely possible with the score this close. I don't want to see him out there, but I have the feeling we may.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
What a job by Schoenweis and Politte. They get the Sox through 7 innings and only give up 3 runs. Great, great performance by Schoenweis, and Politte got Jeter to ground out 4-3 to end the inning.

Mussina still in for the Yankees in the top of the 8th. Hawk says Willie is having trouble with Moose's curveball.

Patrick134
04-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Koch facing a pinch hitting giambi scares me, as does posada facing any of our pitchers. this would be a real nice win to have.

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Patrick134
Koch facing a pinch hitting giambi scares me, as does posada facing any of our pitchers. this would be a real nice win to have.

Look at this way. If the Yankees tie the game, the Sox do have Frank on their bench, and he is availible to pinch-hit.

mantis1212
04-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Look at this way. If the Yankees tie the game, the Sox do have Frank on their bench, and he is availible to pinch-hit.

If Koch comes into this game and blows the save, it better be the last time. Honestly guys, how many times does a pitcher have to prove that he sucks?
another question: How could anybody else be any worse?? This is one move Ozzie needs to make pronto

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 10:14 PM
If Koch comes into this game and blows the save, it better be the last time. Honestly guys, how many times does a pitcher have to prove that he sucks?
another question: How could anybody else be any worse?? This is one move Ozzie needs to make pronto

The problem is that the Sox don't have anyone else who can close. I'm still not convinced that Politte will able to pitch well on a consistent basis.

mantis1212
04-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The problem is that the Sox don't have anyone else who can close. I'm still not convinced that Politte will able to pitch well on a consistent basis.

You're saying they have someone now? Seriously- why wouldn't Marte be an awesome closer? Opening Day was a nothing but a fluke. Marte is not being take advantage of fully by being the setup guy IMO

RKMeibalane
04-22-2004, 10:19 PM
You're saying they have someone now? Seriously- why wouldn't Marte be an awesome closer? Opening Day was a nothing but a fluke. Marte is not being take advantage of fully by being the setup guy IMO

Marte is the most-likely candidate for the job, but he needs to prove he can do it consistently. I agree that the Opening Day disaster was a fluke, but that doesn't guarantee that Damaso can't handle the closer's job. We'll just to have see what happens, and hope that Koch doesn't screw anything else up.

mantis1212
04-22-2004, 10:35 PM
I luv double plays. double plays... yes

Patrick134
04-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Awesome double play turn to end it there. Nice move bringing in marte with them having no righties available to hit. This is a real nice win to grab.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:02 PM
What a turn by Willie Harris on that double play to end the game! The little guy stood in there and got the throw off. Man, that was a beautiful thing. BIG win.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Whew....they didn't get swept. Especially with the Twins winning again that was important. The Sox are now 4-1 by the way, in one run games this season. That's a major turnaround from the past few years.

Mike Squires is a scout for the Cardinals I think. I wonder why he was at the game...to soon to start scouting for interleague games....possible trade maybe?

Lip

seventytwo
04-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Whew....they didn't get swept. Especially with the Twins winning again that was important. The Sox are now 4-1 by the way, in one run games this season. That's a major turnaround from the past few years.

Mike Squires is a scout for the Cardinals I think. I wonder why he was at the game...to soon to start scouting for interleague games....possible trade maybe?

Lip

Kong and Koch for Renteria.

Daydreaming is fun.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Just got back from the park; what a nice first game of the year for me, actually BEATING the Yankees in a close, nailbiter of a finish!

The park looks really nice from the outside as you approach on the Ryan, all lit up. I knew the crowd tonight would be pretty big, since we got diverted to the IIT lots, having arrived at around gametime. We sat in the UD, which is nicely done up. It actually seemed like a different ballpark, walking through the UD concourse. Lots of dumbassed Yankees, Flub and BoSox fans around us, though. Big drunk guys preening and braying for the crowd. They were more engrossed in the stupid fight further down the 1st base line than the game. Whatever.

Good to see the Sox bench guys stepping up, and also Joe Crede for finally coming out of his shell a bit. Scott S., I may never have been an official Foe of yours, but I'm really pleased with what you've done so far this year. Damaso, I'm glad you didn't blow that one. Lots o' double plays tonight, and NO errors. Nice.

Weather-wise, I'll just say I am NEVER wrong in completely overdressing when it's cold at the Cell -- I basically wore my coldest winter gear, and by the end I was still a bit chilly. Brutal.